Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #3571 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls976 View Post

To Bordershy:

Channel Master 7778 pre-amplifier, fed into RG6 Quad-Shield cable. I provide the antenna setup and God provides the atmospheric conditions. Last night I watched the 11pm news on WBTV, then a few minutes of a program about Lake Mead on WCNC's subchannel. Distance to WBTV's 2,000-ft tall tower: 181 miles.

What is amazing is that, with the antenna aimed at Gaston County, the tuner of my Sony TV was detecting something on channel 11, though the signal was not strong enough to view. I verified that WTOC-11 in Savannah was not coming in strongly enough to be what I was getting. Surely it could not have been WTVI!

No way that was WTVI. Not even god can view that station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
I will drive up to China Grove today and check on it. The remote control says 100% power, but we can not pick it up because of WYFF.
Yes, I am aware of the work that was done on RF50 WAXN Ch64-1, and the fact that you are protecting the signal of WFMY Greensboro, with the main lobe going 215 degrees.

However, since there's been no change on the translator, RF36 WAXNTV1 out of China Grove on CH64-7, I find it very interesting that I am experiencing these results. As previously mentioned, I have 'consistently' received a signal from RF36 (day and night) for the past 1/2 year since I've had my antennas. This changed (as of about 6 days ago now) where I get nothing at all (day or night). Just that blank screen with occasional flashes of light (not pixelations).

Thanks Ted for any additional feedback on this situation.
post #3573 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordershy View Post

No way that was WTVI. Not even god can view that station.

VHF does have a better chance of reflecting off the atmosphere. I do agree however that WTVI is a bit tough to pick up, though I get it fine on my homemade antenna, basically a 28 inch dipole.

That station is having money problems. I hope they manage to pull through it as they bring some pretty unique programming to the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Public TV nationwide is having economic issues. But PBS is also available from UNC TV and SC ETV. I get 3 SC public channels, 29, 49, and 38. And 2 from NC, 33 and surprisingly 17.
post #3575 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Public TV nationwide .

...whose time has come and gone...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #3576 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

...whose time has come and gone...

PBS still presents by far the best TV programing in the country, cable or OTA. Not even in the same ball park with your FOX programing.
post #3577 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post

PBS still presents by far the best TV programing in the country, cable or OTA. Not even in the same ball park with your FOX programing.

I think he is refering to the business model of public TV moreso than the quality of programming. Government should be concerned with providing essential services rather than operating an unprofitable business.
post #3578 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Of all the stations i pick up OTA, WUNE is the most impressive because of the distance(68ml)& being WAY outside the sweet spot of my antenna's. Ether i have line of sight or the whole grandfather mt thing really helps.

With the limited programming we OTA'ers have i for one enjoy what PBS brings to the table.
post #3579 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Of all the stations i pick up OTA, WUNE is the most impressive because of the distance(68ml)& being WAY outside the sweet spot of my antenna's. Ether i have line of sight or the whole grandfather mt thing really helps.

With the limited programming we OTA'ers have i for one enjoy what PBS brings to the table.

I can also see WUNE with my outdoor Winegard. However, it only works if I aim my antenna at about 270 degrees. But I usually don't try to see it since I can watch PBS on either WUNL W-S or WUNG Concord without rotating my antenna.
post #3580 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will drive up to China Grove today and check on it. The remote control says 100% power, but we can not pick it up because of WYFF.

Ted, I am not sure if you found any problems or not with the China Grove translator. I didn't have a chance during the day (today) to look at TV. However, I can say that as of tonight (after six days), I now can see RF36 WAXNTV Ch64-7. So hopefully it is back to normal. It's always been a very reliable translator (day and night) outside of the past six days. I wanted to let you know.
post #3581 of 11945 Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post

I will agree with you on that one. If I had to choose between PBS channels and all the rest, I would choose the PBS channels.

And yes, everyone knows that UNC PBS is out there, but I prefer WTVI.

WTVI news coverage is the best in the business. It beats the hell out of ANY of those Charlotte stations where all they talk about day after day is their budget.
post #3582 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I think he is refering to the business model of public TV moreso than the quality of programming. Government should be concerned with providing essential services rather than operating an unprofitable business.

Bingo. Like a real Education for our children, and not by watching PBS Kids on TV.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #3583 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The 64.7 stream on WAXNTV1 has been corrected. The 9.7 and 9.8 were always working. I am in the process of being able to monitor China Grove from Charlotte.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
Fellow - Society of Broadcast Engineers
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD
Amateur Radio - W9SOC
post #3584 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I actually don't watch the PBS portion that much except for the cooking shows which, IMO are far superior to anything on Food Network. (If you actually cook) The reason I like WTVI is for CreateTV and MHZ Worldview on their two sub-channels, 42.2 & 42.3. It's nice to actually have some real news. If you have cut the cable, these channels offer up some nice alternative programming. I agree about the part above about kids and these programs.

Charlotte is lucky to have 3 different PBS affiliates available. It might be unique in the Carolinas for that. Strictly for PBS, I think SCETV does the best job of the 3, followed by WTVI. WUNC(G) are pretty poor in comparison. They are basically a Raleigh TV station that just happens to transmit to the rest of the state. Almost nothing on there about Western NC.
post #3585 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

IMO are far superior to anything on Food Network. (If you actually cook) .

That channel needs to be banned at my house. All it does is get me back in the frig at 930 at night and is making me widescreen.

Bob

post #3586 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 84
This Just In...

WJZY Signs On As Antenna TV Affiliate

Starting next Monday, Capitol Broadcasting's CW affiliate in Charlotte, N.C., will offer the Tribune Broadcasting classic TV diginet on a subchannel. Tribune now claims coverage of more than 50% of the U.S. for the network, thanks mostly to its carriage on 19 Tribune stations.

By Staff
TVNewsCheck, July 20, 2011 10:20 AM EDT

Capitol Broadcasting’s WJZY Charlotte, N.C., next Monday (July 25) will join the growing lineup of stations airing Antenna TV, Tribune Broadcasting's classic TV multicast network, Tribune announced today.

“We can’t wait to share Antenna TV with viewers throughout the [Charlotte] region,” said Sean Compton, president of programming for Tribune, “There are fans of classic television everywhere and we love bringing them the shows they want.”

In addition to WJZY's ch. 46.2, Antenna TV will be available in the Charlotte market on Time Warner Cable's ch. 147. The station is negotiating with other cable operators and expects to achieve full cable carriage in the market "in the near future," according to Tribune.

Antenna TV debuted on Jan. 1, 2011 and has expanded coverage to more than 50% of the U.S.

Much of that coverage comes from Tribune's own stations. Antenna TV airs on 19 Tribune properties, including WPIX New York, KTLA Los Angeles, and WGN Chicago.

WJZY broadcasts The CW on its main channel.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2...a-tv-affiliate

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #3587 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Bingo. Like a real Education for our children, and not by watching PBS Kids on TV.

AMEN to both Tyler and bdfox - if PBS programming is so great, then they should survive just fine without a government subsidy. I mean, why would government throw money at something that doesn't work - they spend their money responsibly like I do, right?

Anyway, PBS can still operate non-profit and get grants from businesses and viewer contributions. Or, they can go commericial.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #3588 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:

That channel needs to be banned at my house. All it does is get me back in the frig at 930 at night and is making me widescreen.

I hope you meant "fridge", Bob! (or maybe not?!?!)

Eric

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #3589 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post

I hope you meant "fridge", Bob!Eric

Yea..what he said..

Bob

post #3590 of 11945 Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 64.7 stream on WAXNTV1 has been corrected. The 9.7 and 9.8 were always working. I am in the process of being able to monitor China Grove from Charlotte.

Yes, the 9.7 and 9.8 have always been working with no dropouts or pixelations at any time (day or night).

As for the 64.7 stream off WAXNTV1 from China Grove, I've had the station back since yesterday. However, it's still acting funny. For example, right now my signal meter on my Panasonic 37 inch LED reads 85% on 64.7. However, while it's reading that amount, I'm getting pixelations and dropouts.

Before yesterday (for a six day period), it was no picture at all on 64.7 (just brief flashes of light--not pixelations). Now, the picture is back at 85% but instead of flashes of light on a blank screen, it displays the picture with quite a bit of pixelations. Again, this is weird given that an 85% signal strength normally means a solid picture; and the fact that I never saw any of these issues up until last week on this translator for 64.7.

Thanks a bunch for your trip up to China Grove as well as anything else you can check into about this signal when you get time.
post #3591 of 11945 Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Has anyone noted the extra commercials of late cutting into airtime on 18.3 (ME-TV)? Even the credits of some programs have disappeared (and even bits of show intros). I enjoyed viewing the credits because it gave me a chance to do a Google search on the stars of yesteryear.

I've actually seen some of the programs, themselves, trimmed a bit.

Part of the nostalgia of ME-TV is being able to see the shows from intro to ending credits. In addition, editing out these portions hurts the continuity of the lineup...at least in my opinion.

I plan to contact the station and express my views.
post #3592 of 11945 Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post

Has anyone noted the extra commercials of late cutting into airtime on 18.3 (ME-TV)? Even the credits of some programs have disappeared (and even bits of show intros). I enjoyed viewing the credits because it gave me a chance to do a Google search on the stars of yesteryear.

I've actually seen some of the programs, themselves, trimmed a bit.

Part of the nostalgia of ME-TV is being able to see the shows from intro to ending credits. In addition, editing out these portions hurts the continuity of the lineup...at least in my opinion.

There are no extra commercials being inserted into MeTv nor are shows being trimmed. (at least not intentionally) What you are seeing is due to a software bug in our automation where it often fails to send a "return to network" command. The tech support guys have logged in remotely and seen where the command is issued but does not execute. They have the software developers looking into the issue, but until they find the cause it may affect the shows at times.

Bob

post #3593 of 11945 Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:

There are no extra commercials being inserted into MeTv nor are shows being trimmed. (at least not intentionally) What you are seeing is due to a software bug in our automation where it often fails to send a "return to network" command. The tech support guys have logged in remotely and seen where the command is issued but does not execute. They have the software developers looking into the issue, but until they find the cause it may affect the shows at times.

Thanks.

I learn something new everyday.
post #3594 of 11945 Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This station does seem to put out an impressive signal, as I normally receive it here in GVL SC as well. And that is off the side of the antenna which is pointed towards Dallas/CLT. Not sure about their power level, but being on a tall tower from the mtns surely seems to help.
post #3595 of 11945 Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 AM

Is the WTVI repeater, translator, or whatever it is, in Hickory having a problem?

The four WHKY signals come in strong 99.9% of the time. The three WTVI channels seem to be having some problems.
post #3596 of 11945 Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy View Post

Is the WTVI repeater, translator, or whatever it is, in Hickory having a problem?

The four WHKY signals come in strong 99.9% of the time. The three WTVI channels seem to be having some problems.

The WTVI Problem is with ch 11 in Johnson City, TN. With the current weather they are putting signal into Hickory on channel 11. The Hickory WTVI transmitter picks up off air from the Charlotte site.

Tom
post #3597 of 11945 Old 07-22-2011, 06:19 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 55
WJZY has AntennaTV on 46.2 as of this morning. And, TitanTV now has the listings for WJZY 46.2 ATV. So far, I haven't got the 7-day line-up on TVGOS on my DVR.
LL
post #3598 of 11945 Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 53
64.7 is back up..again. We are having issues receiving WAXN 64.1. We will be looking at a pre-amp and maybe antenna change.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
Fellow - Society of Broadcast Engineers
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD
Amateur Radio - W9SOC
post #3599 of 11945 Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post

I have noticed that Reverend Rob is back (minus the reverend) from Apple Auto Sales on MeTV. His commercials always made me laugh and it's good to see him again. He is a bit of Charlotte TV history.
post #3600 of 11945 Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Antenna TV seems to be on the air now on 46.2. Dennis the Menace is on. (been several decades since I've seen this show)

Looks as if they turned it on a few days early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page