Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #4261 of 11945 Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy View Post

I don't know man. I really like a great many of the older shows, but a lot of them were just lame. Even back THEN I thought some of them were lame. But we didn't have any choice except NBC, CBS, and ABC, so we just watched whatever they gave us.

Take "The Dick Van Dyke Show". Please: Take it.
That was one of my least favorite shows in the history of TV.

As for the test pattern: Growing up out in the country with nothing to do, this signaled that it was time to go to bed. I guarantee that most of us "older folks" got a lot more sleep back then.

Well, if you were in Hickory in the late 1970's, you probably had better reception than I did. At that time (for a couple of years while I was in high school), we lived near N Wilkesboro. In those analog days, the only clear channels we got OTA was WBTV (with a little static always running through the screen), WXII, and later on (what was then) independent CH 45. That was it (as far as channels with decent reception)! WSOC and WGHP were watchable but 'never' good reception from either station. And all of this with our house on a hill with a rooftop antenna

Cable was not an option (even if you wanted it) as the lines did not extend beyond the town's limits. So you were really privileged if you had the option to pay for cable! Of course, cable back then (even if you did have it) didn't offer much more than local networks. But we know, Ted Turner and others would soon start to change that by the early to mid 80's.

As you said, we probably did get a lot more sleep back then, since every network station signed off; and we didn't have modern conveniences like the internet either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 11945 Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy919 View Post

The Country Network is back, at least for now. If it goes off again, I won't post it on here so I don't sound like a broken record!

I Gotten an email back from GM Of WJZY 46 The engineer are still working out the Bugs on 46.3 that is why it is up and down it should be up 24x7 Next week.
post #4263 of 11945 Old 01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

... I really watch is TheCoolTV since none of the Charlotte stations carry it. I really like the variety on there, especially with the older videos!

I looked that channel up on the Internet. It would be nice if it could be picked up in Charlotte. There needs to be a little more variety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4264 of 11945 Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is WCNC getting close to moving to HD for news?

I have seen a couple of promos in HD, one for the Boy Scouts food drive with Larry Sprinkle and one with Sonya Gantt for the new 4:00 news.

I know that they have the capability to do HD locally because they did the Carolina Traveler in HD for a while before Mike Redding left.
post #4265 of 11945 Old 01-28-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 215
There was a story in Saturday's Charlotte Observer regarding the new 4:00 news on WCNC, but it did not mention an upgrade to HD. It would be nice if they would go HD, but I don't believe they are quite there yet. And I don't know if I like this new "anchor standing at a table and walking all over the place" approach that they are apparently going to. For a one hour news block, I would rather see 2 main anchors at a desk with the occaisonal stand up next to a widescreen monitor. So I will probably primarily watch WBTV at 4:00, but will check out 36 from time to time.
post #4266 of 11945 Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As predicted, WCNC news is still in widescreen SD. No HD yet. But not surprising, when you observe they are using display monitors from Vizio and Apex. Obviously a very tight budget there. No Panasonic, NEC, Samsung etc. Belo does not appear to be in any hurry to upgrade ... And as for the new 4:00 format, it was much stronger before as a straightforward, authoritative newscast. Now, too much of a disjointed, mismatch of lighthearted fluff. I much prefer 2 strong newsreaders seated at a desk rather than 1 aloof anchor wandering around somewhere. And sitting there playing with bubble wrap? Come on. Back to WBTV at 4 and WSOC at 5.
post #4267 of 11945 Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

ABC World News is just 2.0 Dolby Digital, there is no 5.1 even from the actual Satellite feed.

I used audacity to look at the WSOC broadcast and it's full 5.1 audio (maybe WSOC is upmixing it?). I can see the the center channel audio level drop to zero right after the commercial break. I emailed the station engineers, will see what they say.
post #4268 of 11945 Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 168
ABC feeds certain programs..World News, The View..as stereo in a 5.1 configuration using only L/R..Center and LsRs are silent when they do this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #4269 of 11945 Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I noticed that WCNC shortened their noon news program to 30 minutes. I guess they couldn't keep that up when they decided to do the 4 O:clock news.
post #4270 of 11945 Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

I noticed that WCNC shortened their noon news program to 30 minutes. I guess they couldn't keep that up when they decided to do the 4 O:clock news.

I bet that has more to do with the contract they have to run Judge Judy sometime during the day. They moved it from 1630 to 1230.

hh
post #4271 of 11945 Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

As predicted, WCNC news is still in widescreen SD. No HD yet. But not surprising, when you observe they are using display monitors from Vizio and Apex. Obviously a very tight budget there. No Panasonic, NEC, Samsung etc. Belo does not appear to be in any hurry to upgrade ... And as for the new 4:00 format, it was much stronger before as a straightforward, authoritative newscast. Now, too much of a disjointed, mismatch of lighthearted fluff. I much prefer 2 strong newsreaders seated at a desk rather than 1 aloof anchor wandering around somewhere. And sitting there playing with bubble wrap? Come on. Back to WBTV at 4 and WSOC at 5.

Based on one report I read, WCNC is most successful with viewers in Mecklenburg County (versus other parts of the market). And supposedly WCNC is a leader with viewers in higher income neighborhoods in Charlotte. But even if that is true, I would suspect WCNC would be losing viewers with this new 4:00 format.

I also much prefer newscasters seated at a desk versus news people standing or wandering around the set when presenting the news. WCNC should rethink this format. It would also be nice to see them get up to speed with the other Charlotte locals and start presenting their news in widescreen HD.

I understand these upgrades (especially if done right) are very expensive. But investments in the station can have a direct impact on the number of viewers tuning into one affiliate, versus another, when it's time to watch the news.
post #4272 of 11945 Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Anyone in the vicinity of Statesville seeing WHWD-LD 48 on the air?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4273 of 11945 Old 02-01-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the Charlotte Observer Wednesday morning at Publix and noticed there was an entire full page ad on the back of the main first section that featured a "revolutionary" new razor thin antenna that claims free TV reception of up to 953 shows for only $47. Looks like possibly a bowtie design surrounded by a rectangular loop. Perhaps a decent design, although the ad is a bit misleading. But good to see that OTA reception is being promoted with this Clear-Cast antenna. Curious to see how well it works. However, for less money, I would probably order a Mohu first. Have been wanting to give one of those a try.
post #4274 of 11945 Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM

Trip, I live in Statesville and yes WHWD-48 is on the air. Also, worth mentioning analog 21 is now off the air. That means no more WRAL for me, but I wonder if I'll be able to get WHNS occasionally out of Greenville, SC? We'll see. Here's a picture I took 10 minutes ago of WHWD.

post #4275 of 11945 Old 02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just noticed WBTV is now providing complete program info on 3.2 and 3.3 for Bounce and ThisTV. Giving you a more complete description of the program viewed. Glad they added this feature for OTA. And This is showing Top Gun tonight, so good to see them showing better movies rather than always grade B.
post #4276 of 11945 Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM

[quote=jmduncan;21584170] That means no more WRAL for me, but I wonder if I'll be able to get WHNS occasionally out of Greenville, SC?

Best of luck reliability receiving WHNS. One of the hardest to pickup in the GSP region. Almost like WTVI in the CLT market.
post #4277 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think WHNS RF21 is restricted from full power in order to protect WCNC which is on RF22. And WCNC has a null in their pattern to the southwest in order to protect WHNS, which is why their signal strength is weaker here than WBTV and WJZY, although they broadcast from a similar location. But I do normally receive WCNC at 6-8 bars, although they are sometimes succeptible to weather related dropouts in the overnight, early morning period. WBTV is always 10 bars. If you compare the WCNC and WBTV coverage maps, you will notice the difference in the coverage area to the west. But WCNC does have a construction permit to top mount and increase to full power, but the western null in the pattern may still remain.
post #4278 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And I guess I jinxed them, as today the PSIP data is down on all WBTV channels. No program titles or info. We'll see if it reappears on all 3 channels. It was good while it lasted.
post #4279 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordershy View Post

Best of luck reliability receiving WHNS. One of the hardest to pickup in the GSP region. Almost like WTVI in the CLT market.

Ditto on WHNS!

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #4280 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM

WHNS & WCNC transmitters are 85ml apart,so i can't see where they would be a threat to each other. I am however just an arm chair engineer.
post #4281 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I think WHNS RF21 is restricted from full power in order to protect WCNC which is on RF22. And WCNC has a null in their pattern to the southwest in order to protect WHNS, which is why their signal strength is weaker here than WBTV and WJZY, although they broadcast from a similar location.

That is pretty much the case with WCNC here in Blowing Rock. I can receive WBTV and WJZY over-the-air 99% of the time, and their signals are usually fairly strong. However, WCNC only comes in about half of the time, and their signal is usually weak. Thankfully, I have cable so I can receive all three stations in HD (plus Bounce and This).
post #4282 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:

That is pretty much the case with WCNC here in Blowing Rock. I can receive WBTV and WJZY over-the-air 99% of the time, and their signals are usually fairly strong. However, WCNC only comes in about half of the time, and their signal is usually weak. Thankfully, I have cable so I can receive all three stations in HD (plus Bounce and This).

I'm just slightly north and east of you in Ashe County, 10 miles as the crow flies. WBTV and WCNC are usually at the same exact signal strength (usually around 92%+)at my location, but WJZY usually is about 10-15 % less than either of these stations on my Sony Bravia's signal meter. I cannot recall either WBTV or WCNC being unavailable due to signal issues in the last 3 years, but I am unable to receive WJZY about 10% of the time.
post #4283 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbravia View Post

I'm just slightly north and east of you in Ashe County, 10 miles as the crow flies. WBTV and WCNC are usually at the same exact signal strength (usually around 92%+)at my location, but WJZY usually is about 10-15 % less than either of these stations on my Sony Bravia's signal meter. I cannot recall either WBTV or WCNC being unavailable due to signal issues in the last 3 years, but I am unable to receive WJZY about 10% of the time.

Interesting that WCNC is consistently my strongest out of market station here in SW Winston. It is always rock solid and sometimes the signal strength goes all the way up to 100%. I guess this is due to the directional pattern of WCNC to the east....although I am really NE of Dallas, NC.

WJZY is my second strongest Charlotte local, with signal strength levels that are not too far behind WCNC. Oddly enough, WBTV is farther down the list, despite the fact that they are top mounted and operate at the maximum power allowed. But *all* of my results are 'good enough' to allow me to receive the Charlotte locals on a consistent basis with my long range antenna. The only exceptions are WTVI and WAXN 64-1.

My results are not what anyone would call remarkable as there are others (in my area) that could receive the Charlotte stations OTA with a long range antenna. But there are also neighborhoods in my area that are very bad for OTA due to their low elevation or other factors working against them. (Winston is a hilly town). So as is usually the case, location means everything when you start getting into longer distances.

But I think *all* the Charlotte signals are about non-existent (from *any* location) as you move closer to Greensboro. But viewers in G-broro generally have the strongest signals on our true locals up here with the exception of WXII and WUNL.
post #4284 of 11945 Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Got the Charlotte Observer Wednesday morning at Publix and noticed there was an entire full page ad on the back of the main first section that featured a "revolutionary" new razor thin antenna that claims free TV reception of up to 953 shows for only $47.

Yea. Maybe 953 shows during the entire week on all the channels in the surrounding area (and probably a bit more) put together.

They should be sued for misleading advertising.

I have a friend who I helped build a home made antenna for his garage and it works great. I went over to his place to watch the Pro Bowl and he was excitedly telling me about the new "Digital" antenna that he had purchased for his big screen Samsung, but it didn't work any better than the home made one in the garage.

I have grown weary of telling people that there is no such thing as an HD antenna OR a Digital antenna. All they have to hear is the words "HD" or "Digital" in reference to a great new type of antenna, and they are like sheep. The people at Best Buy do not like me as I butt in every time I hear a salesperson hyping one of there "Digital HD" antennas.
post #4285 of 11945 Old 02-03-2012, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy View Post

I have grown weary of telling people that there is no such thing as an HD antenna OR a Digital antenna. All they have to hear is the words "HD" or "Digital" in reference to a great new type of antenna, and they are like sheep. The people at Best Buy do not like me as I butt in every time I hear a salesperson hyping one of there "Digital HD" antennas.

I was at lunch with some friends several weeks ago when the topic of watching the superbowl came up..to which one friend said "just go to best buy and get a digital antenna" I then explained to him that there was no such animal..that the laws of physics did not differentiate between analog and digital tv..that it was purely marketing BS..which garnered me a blank stare..
I saw this firsthand back in 1997(?) when USSB-CEMA was in town and we did antenna testing all over the area with WBTV's signal. The RCA DTC100 receiver was a pile of circuit boards in the back of a van. Of all the antennas..the old fashioned Channel Master UHF Yagi and Bowtie Panel antennas beat them all. But I did get to meet Neil Terk..a great guy...who told me what one of his $100 antennas cost him to make. :>)

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #4286 of 11945 Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

But I did get to meet Neil Terk..a great guy...who told me what one of his $100 antennas cost him to make. :>)

But he didn't learn anything from that trip did he?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #4287 of 11945 Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

But I think *all* the Charlotte signals are about non-existent (from *any* location) as you move closer to Greensboro.

Yep..it's that round earth problem...

Bob

post #4288 of 11945 Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

But he didn't learn anything from that trip did he?

Yes..That the secret prototype $250 antenna in the black cloth bag did not work very well..

Bob

post #4289 of 11945 Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Did anyone else catch the audio problem last night on WBTV during Big Bang Theory?
post #4290 of 11945 Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post

Did anyone else catch the audio problem last night on WBTV during Big Bang Theory?

You mean the several minutes with no center channel dialogue? Only ambient sounds and laugh track on L, R & surrounds? Nope... never noticed it.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page