Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes

post #4351 of 12006 Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

Yeah, I'm puzzled, too, by reception that seems counter-intuitive. For example, my antenna is aimed almost directly at WHKY's Charlotte transmitter which is 15 miles away and I often get squat, then sometimes 60% (basically unwatchable). ......

I wouldn't be too puzzled about it. It seems to be a station that nobody seems to get. I'm reminded of the 80s "where's the beef" commercial where the woman is wondering if there is any beef at all in that bun. I see the same thing too. Get a lock at 70% then boom it's gone.

I saw the recommendation above to turn my antenna towards Hickory and hence away from every other station in Charlotte, which is a non-starter.

---------------------

I've been seriously thinking of dropping Dish and getting a Roku or something similar. Do you like it? I wouldn't mind finding some sort of DVR for the OTA stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 12006 Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

Reportedly, WFMY still has one of the largest coverage areas in the Carolinas with its transmitter located in Randleman, NC. It seems it's been this way for many years with coverage as far away as Charlotte to the SW and Raleigh to the east.

WCNC seems to be my strongest out of market (Charlotte station) with its tower in Dallas, NC. This seems a bit ironic given the fact that CH 36 used to the the 'step child' network in Charlotte, always taking a back seat to the others. But it would be nice to see them upgrade their news studio to full HD.

In the analog days back in the 80s, I could receive WFMY very well in Concord, along with WGHP. We had a good outside antenna and rotor. Although with channel 8, I had to position the antenna carefully to avoid interference from channel 9. Channel 3 did not cause a problem with channel 2 at my location. WXII was sometimes a bit snowy, but not really any worse than 36 which finally upgraded their tower and analog signal in 1987. And I believe currently, WCNC still has a construction permit to increase power and top mount their antenna on the tower ... I would be curious today to test digital TV reception from the Greensboro market in Cabarrus County. My mom had my dad remove "that ugly antenna" from the roof of the house in about 1988 after we had cable for several years. And in about 1989-90, the Greensboro channels were dropped from cable in Concord.
post #4353 of 12006 Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

I wouldn't be too puzzled about it. It seems to be a station that nobody seems to get. I'm reminded of the 80s "where's the beef" commercial where the woman is wondering if there is any beef at all in that bun. I see the same thing too. Get a lock at 70% then boom it's gone.

I saw the recommendation above to turn my antenna towards Hickory and hence away from every other station in Charlotte, which is a non-starter.

---------------------

I've been seriously thinking of dropping Dish and getting a Roku or something similar. Do you like it? I wouldn't mind finding some sort of DVR for the OTA stuff.

I will point out again that if you would point your antenna at the Baker Mt TX you would have a signal. Not at the site that has next to no signal (for a very good technical reason) in your direction. In your case try pointing to the Moon (Alice).

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 12006 Old 02-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

In the analog days back in the 80s, I could receive WFMY very well in Concord, along with WGHP. We had a good outside antenna and rotor. Although with channel 8, I had to position the antenna carefully to avoid interference from channel 9. Channel 3 did not cause a problem with channel 2 at my location. WXII was sometimes a bit snowy, but not really any worse than 36 which finally upgraded their tower and analog signal in 1987. And I believe currently, WCNC still has a construction permit to increase power and top mount their antenna on the tower ... I would be curious today to test digital TV reception from the Greensboro market in Cabarrus County. My mom had my dad remove "that ugly antenna" from the roof of the house in about 1988 after we had cable for several years. And in about 1989-90, the Greensboro channels were dropped from cable in Concord.

My guess would be that WFMY still does better than all the other Triad stations in fringe areas like Concord. I think the ability to pick up a station like WGHP or WXII from Concord would definitely be more contingent on exact location.

As for out of market locals, I am not surprised Concord used to have all of the Triad stations on cable. Long before TWC, Summit Cable in Winston had WBTV and WSOC on the cable lineup in addition to the true locals. I am getting old for remembering that!

In general, I think the the rules used to be much more relaxed 20 to 30 years ago on cable. Now, unless a station makes the cut for the so called significantly viewed list, the cable and/or satellite providers are prohibited from retransmitting these channels to out of market viewers. A bit draconian in my view; but I think it's all about protecting advertising dollars.
post #4355 of 12006 Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sad news regarding the sudden death of Whitney Houston. But IRC, didn't she do some recording at the Reflections studios in Charlotte? I believe possibly the Winans and Tammy Faye may have also recorded there.
post #4356 of 12006 Old 02-12-2012, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post

I will point out again that if you would point your antenna at the Baker Mt TX you would have a signal. Not at the site that has next to no signal (for a very good technical reason) in your direction. In your case try pointing to the Moon (Alice).

Interesting that you now describe the WHKY transmitter in CLT as having "next to no signal" in North Mecklenburg. My fault for mis-understanding when you were asking for help from Lake Norman people last fall.

To pickup a reliable Baker Mtn signal from Huntersville means a fairly large directional antenna mounted outside that won't pickup much of anything else in Charlotte due to the orientation. When you turned on the Baker Mtn tower last fall and asked if anyone could see it, I put up a temporary antenna just so I could report status back to you. I had no plans to leave it that way.

I can't imagine why you guys have decided to leave out the northern 1/4 of Mecklenburg, but it is what it is. Maybe if I do as you say, the Moon Maiden could tell me why a TV station tries hard to not to have viewers.
post #4357 of 12006 Old 02-12-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Sad news regarding the sudden death of Whitney Houston. But IRC, didn't she do some recording at the Reflections studios in Charlotte? I believe possibly the Winans and Tammy Faye may have also recorded there.

Yes, sad..but totally off topic and has nothing to do with Local OTA HD in Charlotte.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #4358 of 12006 Old 02-12-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My mom had my dad remove "that ugly antenna" from the roof of the house in about 1988 after we had cable for several years..

I used to install those...like the monster channel master 1160a that was 189" long..I had a young 20 something guy ask me several years ago what they were used for..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #4359 of 12006 Old 02-12-2012, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I have two rokus, and they along with my OTA setup with a DVR for the house is what made us able to cut the cord.

The roku and netflix is a bargain, and lots of the shows we liked on History, Discovery, and TLC are on netflix (not current seasons). Also, the few shows that we did like on satellite we can purchase per episode on Amazon, with great quality (actually better than the satellite).

There are private channels that extend by quite a bit the content available on the roku. Those channels can easily be found online, and there isn't anything illegal about them - they just aren't in the main channel store. Itunes, Justin.tv, A Podcast channel with hundreds of video podcasts from around the net (like Conan and Jimmy Fallon)... very neat.

The DVR setup I have is our main computer running linux and mythtv which is all free. Got the capture cards for $20 or so each, shipped, on ebay. Three capture cards that record three channels (and their subchannels, so virtually more), and the software will scan for commercials and cut them out for you.

The living room I bought a used pc with a tv out video card (svideo or hdmi, so I can do I def), for $100 shipped. That is the viewing computer.

There is a hack to make transcoded files show up from mythtv on the roku, so I have that also for the bedroom tv, so content shows up there as well.
post #4360 of 12006 Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Digital OTA, especially HD, is great but I wanted something additional to supplement it when I dropped cable. So, I bought a Roku and subscribed to Netflix. I also picked up an OTA DVR (CM-7000PAL) because I dislike commercials. I usually time-shift prime time OTA shows and then skip through commercials when I watch them. I also record several late night shows like Combat and Highway Patrol. Also, when watching OTA live, the DVR lets you pause, replay, etc, then catch back up to live whenever you want, i.e. during a commercial break.

As mentioned by a previous poster, a Roku and Netflix equals good entertainment for little outlay. My total (not counting the hardware) for TV is $7.99 + tax per month. Netflix has around 2,000 movies in HD, thousands more in SD, and tons of TV series from network, Discovery Channel, History Channel, etc. And, when my grandkids are in town, Netflix has a vast array of stuff for kids, hundreds of videos for each 2-year bracket age group.
post #4361 of 12006 Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

. I also picked up an OTA DVR (CM-7000PAL) because I dislike commercials. .

MediaPortal is an excellent alternative for OTA DVR usage as well and offers quite a bit more flexibility. Tho a bit more expensive to implement.

Bob

post #4362 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info on Roku and I had not seen MediaPortal before. Will look into it as well. I've been looking at either a CM or Tivo, for OTA, but I like the idea of rolling your own. I've got to pull some ethernet cable first, but after that, I'm gonna kick Dish to the curb. It's gotten hugely expensive over the last few years and I'm finding that I watch OTA more anyway.
post #4363 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 05:14 AM
mjh

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a clearstream2 antenna from antennasdirect at my house mounted on the roof. Living in Harrisburg, I'm in a somewhat convenient location to receive OTA signals. I aim the antenna west towards charlotte, and I end up having the backend of my antenna pick up signals from greensboro. Which is nice during football season: I get extra games when Charlotte is restricted to showing only the Panthers. Here's the tvfool link for my house, showing relatively easy aiming decisions.

Over the weekend, I built a DIY antenna at my friends house in Huntersville. They have somewhat harder aiming decisions, as the south cluster of towers is about 90 degrees from the west towers. For me, those two clusters almost line up - so aiming is pretty trivial. I anticipated the 90 degree seperation to be a very tricky issue for them. Additionally, I mounted it in their attic rather than on the roof as a first step. I expected to pick up some, but not all of the channels. Step two was going to be two combined antennas, each aimed at one of the major clusters. Step 3 was roof mounting. Steps 2 and 3 turned out to be unnecessary, I think mostly due to the antenna I chose.

The design I chose for the antenna is a single bay gray hoverman. It took a little fishing around in the attic to find the right location, but this is an impressively performing antenna. At my house, I have to have a distribution amplifier in order to ensure strong enough signal will get through to all the rooms that I send the signal. At my friends house, a simple splitter was sufficient, even though he's going through roughly the same amount of RG6 cable, while trying to get signal through roofing materials.

I got the best results aiming the antenna at the cluster of towers in Stanley (mostly west). If I aimed south towards the university towers, I could pick up 14-1, but then lost 55-1 and 3-1 & 36-1 were squirrely. Pointed west, I gave up 14-1, but got consistent picture on all the other channels and managed to pick up a few stations from greensboro.

Results: (Primary Channel & Signal Strength - as reported by TiVo)

3-1, 77% (cbs charlotte)
8-1, 34% (fox greensboro)
9-1, 53% (abc charlotte)
18-1, 48% (fox charlotte)
20-1, 51% (cw greensboro)
36-1, 91% (nbc charlotte)
42-1, 45% (pbs charlotte)
45-1, 46% (abc greensboro)
55-1, 93% (my charlotte)
58-1, 93% (pbs charlotte
64-1, 55% (waxn charlotte)

If I had to do it all over again at my house, I'd give the gray hoverman a shot in my attic before purchasing the more expensive commercial antenna. All-in that antenna cost about $20 to build compared to the $100 antenna that I have. The two most expensive parts where the $7 worth of 8 gauge solid copper wire for the elements and the $6 300ohm - 75ohm balun.

Anyway, I had to tell someone. My friends are not nerdy enough to appreciate the challenge their location created. Thanks!
post #4364 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 AM
mjh

Quote:

I've been looking at either a CM or Tivo, for OTA, but I like the idea of rolling your own.

I personally went with a TiVo. When I compared the price of a TiVo w/lifetime to the hardware costs and time of rolling my own, the TiVo came out ahead.

I also purchased a 1TB hard drive that went into my (existing) home server and use pyTivo to store media not recorded on the TiVo. For example, I ripped all of the DVDs I own and now I can watch them using the TiVo interface.

I'm a TiVo fanboy though, so take with a grain of salt.
post #4365 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info on Roku and I had not seen MediaPortal before..

I also record OTA using TSReader on a server..and playback using a Popcorn Hour: http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/

Bob

post #4366 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post

If I had to do it all over again at my house, I'd give the gray hoverman a shot in my attic before purchasing the more expensive commercial antenna. All-in that antenna cost about $20 to build compared to the $100 antenna that I have. The two most expensive parts where the $7 worth of 8 gauge solid copper wire for the elements and the $6 300ohm - 75ohm balun.

Anyway, I had to tell someone. My friends are not nerdy enough to appreciate the challenge their location created. Thanks!

Nice write up. I had looked at building a gray hoverman design, but like you, I bought an antenna. Given what you have posted, I might go back and revisit this at some point.

A question I have for you is how did you combine (or plan to combine) your antenna signals? Actually another question, where did you get the 8 gauge wire?
post #4367 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

That's what we're for! I am a lurker in the Charlotte forum since I don't receive anything OTA from Charlotte, but I like to see what people can get in different places. In Burlington I get:

PSIP Channel - Primary/Sub(s) - Calls - City
2 CBS WFMY Greensboro
4 UNC WUNC Chapel Hill
5 CBS/This WRAL Raleigh
7 CBS/My WDBJ Roanoke*
8 FOX/Antenna WGHP High Point
10 NBC/MeTV WSLS Roanoke*
11 ABC/LWN WTVD Raleigh
13 ABC/RTV WSET Lynchburg*
16 ION/Qubo WGPX Burlington
17 NBC/Antenna WNCN Raleigh
20 CW/BNT/Estrella WCWG Greensboro
22 CW/Country WLFL Raleigh
28 MY/Cool WRDC Raleigh
40 Univision/Telefutura WUVC Fayetteville
43 TCT WLXI Greensboro*
45 ABC/Country WXLV Greensboro
47 Ind. WGSR Reidsville
48 MY/Cool WMYV Winston-Salem
50 FOX/MeTV WRAZ Raleigh

*require me to move antenna, which I rarely do. I can't add Roanoke to my AM21 with Greensboro and Raleigh so that makes it even more rare.

With Directv all of the above plus:
9 ABC WSOC (SD) Charlotte**
12 NBC WXII Winston-Salem
26 UNC WUNL Winston-Salem

**I "moved" to Lexington so Bobcats games wouldn't be blacked out, WSOC was a bonus from that.
post #4368 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
mjh

Quote:

A question I have for you is how did you combine (or plan to combine) your antenna signals?

I didn't combine. But if I had to, you just take a two-way splitter and turn it around. This causes it to behave as a combiner. Unfortunately, this adds quite a bit of complexity to the antenna. First, no matter what you do, you will lose at least 3db of signal. Of course sometimes, it's worth it to give up 3db if aiming directly at the tower gives you more gain from being direct than you lose from combining.

Second, it gets more important to have a reflector on both antennas. There's a risk of multipath if you don't. Multipath is where the tuner receives the same signal more than once. In analog days, this resulted in ghosting. In digital, it confuses the tuner enough that it can't decipher the signal. To combat this you put a reflector on each antenna to keep signals coming from the direction you want.

Quote:
Actually another question, where did you get the 8 gauge wire?

Home Depot. $0.66 per foot. They've got a bulk wire section in the electrical area. Just ask someone to cut you two 5-foot lengths. The 300ohm - 75ohm balun can be purchased from Radio Shack, they call it a "matching transformer" though. Same thing.

If you get the plans from the site I linked to and it works, then go with those. If it doesn't work, I strongly recommend this forum. These guys know their stuff about antenna design. There's some tweaks to the design that have resulted in even stronger performance than the design that I used. But I took an experimental approach: go simple first, and only add complexity if it's needed. Since it worked for me, I was good.

Pics for the curious.
post #4369 of 12006 Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info. I was mainly wondering how you were dealing with the multipath. Now that it seems that WHKY is a no go from my location, I might do some experimenting with directions other than the farm at E. Charlotte.

I had seen that Canadian site before. I'm amazed too at the results that some of those guys have achieved.
post #4370 of 12006 Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Nice write up. I had looked at building a gray hoverman design, but like you, I bought an antenna. Given what you have posted, I might go back and revisit this at some point.

I had built a double-bay gray hoverman, and while that antenna will beat the pants off of most, there is no way it would have survived that windstorm on Saturday, unless you are using aluminum and welding/brazing.

My DB-8, while down in strength had no issues, which is why I was happy to convert for the small amount of cash.
post #4371 of 12006 Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It may just be my eyes, but the PQ on WCNC news looks much better than normal tonight. It usually looks like they are shooting their video in the fog, but on the 11:00 news tonight both the field and studio shots look much cleaner. Not HD good but an improvement over what they usually show.
post #4372 of 12006 Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
mjh

What do you guys recommend for a distribution amplifier. I have an inexpensive one from Home Depot that does a fine job getting signal from my downstairs central wiring closet to my downstairs TV and TiVo. But since I've installed a TV upstairs, there are several channels that I can't get on the upstairs TiVo that I easily get downstairs TiVo. I suspect the cheap dist amp that I have to be at fault.

Recommendations?
post #4373 of 12006 Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

That's what we're for! I am a lurker in the Charlotte forum since I don't receive anything OTA from Charlotte, but I like to see what people can get in different places. In Burlington I get:

PSIP Channel - Primary/Sub(s) - Calls - City
2 CBS WFMY Greensboro
4 UNC WUNC Chapel Hill
5 CBS/This WRAL Raleigh
7 CBS/My WDBJ Roanoke*
8 FOX/Antenna WGHP High Point
10 NBC/MeTV WSLS Roanoke*
11 ABC/LWN WTVD Raleigh
13 ABC/RTV WSET Lynchburg*
16 ION/Qubo WGPX Burlington
17 NBC/Antenna WNCN Raleigh
20 CW/BNT/Estrella WCWG Greensboro
22 CW/Country WLFL Raleigh
28 MY/Cool WRDC Raleigh
40 Univision/Telefutura WUVC Fayetteville
43 TCT WLXI Greensboro*
45 ABC/Country WXLV Greensboro
47 Ind. WGSR Reidsville
48 MY/Cool WMYV Winston-Salem
50 FOX/MeTV WRAZ Raleigh

*require me to move antenna, which I rarely do. I can't add Roanoke to my AM21 with Greensboro and Raleigh so that makes it even more rare.

With Directv all of the above plus:
9 ABC WSOC (SD) Charlotte**
12 NBC WXII Winston-Salem
26 UNC WUNL Winston-Salem

**I "moved" to Lexington so Bobcats games wouldn't be blacked out, WSOC was a bonus from that.

I am just curious. Were you ever told why 9 ABC WSOC is only (SD) versus HD for out of market (significantly viewed)? In the Greensboro viewing market, I know WSOC made the cut for 'significantly viewed' in Davidson, Davie, and Yadkin Counties. For this reason, Direct TV is allowed to carry WSOC in those out of market counties (among others).

But I have to wonder why Direct TV is not allowed to retransmit the WSOC signal in HD in these counties? As far as I know, WSOC is retransmitted in HD for all Direct TV viewers inside the Charlotte market. I just thought this was kind of a strange. Obviously, everything is FCC approved (or not approved). So I wonder if the FCC is only allowing Direct TV to transmit in SD for the significantly viewed counties? Given all of their crazy rules, I would not be surprised if that is the case.

At any rate, you are doing very well with your receptiion in Burlington and WSOC adds to your lineup
post #4374 of 12006 Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If he was to "move" to Salisbury, I believe he would receive all of the Charlotte locals in HD from DirecTV. Not sure if they would offer any Greensboro, but he can receive those channels as well as Raleigh OTA from his location in Burlington. But not sure how that "move" would affect his Bobcats games, although with their current state, I don't think he would be missing much there ... And, it used to be, both Charlotte and Greensboro locals were carried on cable in Salisbury, but don't know if that is still the case now. However, both markets can be received there OTA with an antenna.
post #4375 of 12006 Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What do you guys recommend for a distribution amplifier. I have an inexpensive one from Home Depot that does a fine job getting signal from my downstairs central wiring closet to my downstairs TV and TiVo. But since I've installed a TV upstairs, there are several channels that I can't get on the upstairs TiVo that I easily get downstairs TiVo. I suspect the cheap dist amp that I have to be at fault.

Recommendations?

Despite a decline in some of their products, the Channel Master distribution amps by PCT are often recommended here. Also look at Winegard. And CE Labs 6001 is a very good amp with extreme low noise, but may have a bit more power than what is needed at your location.
post #4376 of 12006 Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

As far as I am able to tell, the SV in many/most markets is not HD. If I hadn't "moved" I I would have WTVD in SD. With TWC, people in Mebane have WRAL and WTVD in SD. The only exceptions I know of (although I am sure there are others) are in the Boston DMA and our own Greensboro DMA.

Windham County, Vermont is part of the Boston MA-Manchester NH DMA. The Burlington VT-Plattsburgh NY DMA locals are all available in that county as SV. No where are the CBS, Fox, ABC, or either NBC affiliates in B/P DMA listed as even being available in SD on Directv so the HD versions appear in the SV areas. That means they get 3 ABCs, 3 NBCs, 2 Foxes, and 2 CBSs in HD! (They also get CW and Univision in HD, and 3 PBS of which NONE are HD and other random Boston/NH channels.)

There are a few counties in VA that overlap Greensboro and Roanoke. I don't know if overlap is the proper word, but there are a few zips that you can get Greensboro and Roanoke channels in HD, most - if not ALL - of the lineups of both markets.

I love OTA and hope it doesn't go away. It's a lot of fun for me to get more than what I am "supposed to." Where is the logic in the government creating the FCC to assign OTA stations certain power levels and cover certain areas and then the same part of the government takes those same channels away because you want to PAY for TV? I, like most, hate DMAs. If you live somewhere and want to pay for TV, you should at least get all the channels people have for FREE in another area of the country - or across the street if the county line is right there! Or even at your own !#*@% house!
post #4377 of 12006 Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If he was to "move" to Salisbury, I believe he would receive all of the Charlotte locals in HD from DirecTV. Not sure if they would offer any Greensboro, but he can receive those channels as well as Raleigh OTA from his location in Burlington. But not sure how that "move" would affect his Bobcats games, although with their current state, I don't think he would be missing much there ... And, it used to be, both Charlotte and Greensboro locals were carried on cable in Salisbury, but don't know if that is still the case now. However, both markets can be received there OTA with an antenna.

I looked into that, but something made me not do it. It was sports-related, but I don't remember what it was. Maybe I lost MASN and/or FSN-Cin. Losing baseball is sad to me and gaining WHKY and WAXN more Charlotte news isn't worth it!
post #4378 of 12006 Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As far as I am able to tell, the SV in many/most markets is not HD. If I hadn't "moved" I I would have WTVD in SD. With TWC, people in Mebane have WRAL and WTVD in SD. The only exceptions I know of (although I am sure there are others) are in the Boston DMA and our own Greensboro DMA.

I love OTA and hope it doesn't go away. It's a lot of fun for me to get more than what I am "supposed to." Where is the logic in the government creating the FCC to assign OTA stations certain power levels and cover certain areas and then the same part of the government takes those same channels away because you want to PAY for TV? I, like most, hate DMAs. If you live somewhere and want to pay for TV, you should at least get all the channels people have for FREE in another area of the country - or across the street if the county line is right there! Or even at your own !#*@% house!

I agree with you 100 percent. IMO, these rules for paid TV get very stupid. If I understood things correctly, the FCC came out with these strict mandates (many years ago) to help protect the advertising dollars of local affiliates in each market. That used to make more sense when each affiliate relied more heavily on local advertising dollars. But now with retransmission fees becoming so much more relevant, it seems the rules are outdated and not focused on the viewer, or the stations for that matter.

I don't think the majority of the population thinks too much about DMAs or what they mean. However, when you start looking at places like Burlington, Lexington, Salisbury, and others, I think these restrictions become a MUCH more relevant topic. Who is to say what market those viewers (such as yourself) identify with? And why should those paying viewers be 'assigned' to one market while simultaneously being locked out of the other market with their paid TV? Why not allow these viewers access to BOTH logical markets in their area? And if a channel is allowed through one of these so called 'significantly viewed' exceptions, why must the channel (such as WSOC) be in SD only versus HD? Now, I realize (in your case) you only get WSOC as significantly viewed since you *moved*. But it just brings up another case in point at how ridiculous these FCC rules can get when a station can only be retransmitted in SD versus HD.

As a resident of the Triad, I certainly want the Greensboro locals. And I usually watch WGHP for local news. But I also appreciate having access to the Charlotte networks since I also identify with (and travel to) that area as well. But if it weren't for OTA, I would be completely cut off from those networks.
post #4379 of 12006 Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

I feel that way about the Raleigh area since I travel there at least twice per week with work and I have friends there. WGHP is the only Triad news we watch, and do so nearly daily. I also watch WRAL and occasionally WTVD. Those three have a professional feel that WFMY and WXII lack, something that going HD didn't do for WFMY. News 14 on WXLV isn't horrible, but I usually forget about it.

As I write this, I am watching the WSOC news, though. Just look at that stupidly-shaped weather map. A good portion of the Triad receives this signal reliably OTA and it's completely ignored. I bet not a soul in Jefferson, however, can probably get this channel OTA and yet, because of DMAs, they pay attention to that area.

And another thing that angers me about the situation is that this 4:3 SD version of WSOC doesn't really exist! Am I really paying Directv to chop the edges off and downgrade the signal? I realize that WSOC is sending Directv the signal and Directv isn't doing it, but t just doesn't make sense why channels continue to make SD versions of channels just for paid TV.

I must say that the WSOC news must be an amazing sight in HD because the SD version looks quite good!
post #4380 of 12006 Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And another thing that angers me about the situation is that this 4:3 SD version of WSOC doesn't really exist! Am I really paying Directv to chop the edges off and downgrade the signal? I realize that WSOC is sending Directv the signal and Directv isn't doing it, but t just doesn't make sense why channels continue to make SD versions of channels just for paid TV.
!

Umm.. WSOC doesn't send an SD signal to DirecTv..DirecTv downconverts from the HD to get that SD signal..Why? because a large portion of DirecTv (and Dish) subscribers still have SD receivers..

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page