Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 348 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 525Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10411 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blackcat6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Wonder if any of them will move back to VHF? Gonna mess up a lot of people who have UHF only antennas.
blackcat6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10412 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
If you are far enough west of Charlotte such as Cleveland County you can get Cozi TV on WHNS 21.2.
I live in the Bethlehem area of Alexander Co.
dixiedamsel is offline  
post #10413 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Wonder if any of them will move back to VHF? Gonna mess up a lot of people who have UHF only antennas.
And not just in our area, all the UHF gurus who are SME are gonna have to brush up on the VHF L/H

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10414 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US
Posts: 16,714
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
There is probably more but this is what I have on my sheet, Trip is real good at having this information in very good detail and explanation.
I can't say much, given that I'm employed by the FCC for this very task, but I can point you at this collection I made of public knowledge:

http://www.rabbitears.info/blog/inde...entive-Auction

The main item there of interest is that UNC-TV announced they will not be in the auction. So we know that UNC-TV will continue to exist, on UHF, after the auction, though there's no guarantee of which UHF channels UNC-TV will be on.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #10415 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 10:35 AM
A J
Advanced Member
 
A J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedamsel View Post
We appear to be getting Decades on WCNC 36.3.
Thanks for the heads-up. My TiVo usually adds new sub-channels automatically, but hadn't added this one. After reading your post I did a manual scan and found it. I then checked my bedroom Samsung TV and saw that 46.3 had been automatically added to it. No PSIP, yet.
A J is offline  
post #10416 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. My TiVo usually adds new sub-channels automatically, but hadn't added this one. After reading your post I did a manual scan and found it. I then checked my bedroom Samsung TV and saw that 46.3 had been automatically added to it. No PSIP, yet.
You're welcome.
dixiedamsel is offline  
post #10417 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cpalmer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
There is probably more but this is what I have on my sheet, Trip is real good at having this information in very good detail and explanation.

WSOC
WSOC Statesville
WHKY
WHWD
WJZY
WTBL
WMYT
WAXN
WAXN CG
WUCV
WUNG
I can easily see some room for consolidation in both Charlotte & the GSP market as a result. I think the big losers in this auction will be the subchannels. There simply won't be any space for them in the numbers they exist today.

WSOC could easily combine WSOC & WAXN into one, especially since both are 720p already.
WJZY could easily do the same with WMYT

In Greenville/Spartanburg WSPA & WLOS are already VHF, and both own other stations.

WSPA could go to a dual HD broadcast with WSPA and their sister station WYCW 62
WLOS could do the same with WMYA 40

I could see SC ETV participating as well. They really have a lot of overlap with their towers. The could re-locate one, and cover most of the upstate area.
cpalmer2k is offline  
post #10418 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blackcat6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
And not just in our area, all the UHF gurus who are SME are gonna have to brush up on the VHF L/H
Well hopefully none of them will go to VHF-Lo. There have been practically no antennas sold in the last few years that can effectively receive these signals. It might not matter right in the city, but further out, it will be a big issue.

I can see a lot of Mohus and other "leaf" style antennas headed to the trash if it does.
blackcat6 is offline  
post #10419 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blackcat6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
And not just in our area, all the UHF gurus who are SME are gonna have to brush up on the VHF L/H
Well hopefully none of them will go to VHF-Lo. There have been practically no antennas sold in the last few years that can effectively receive these signals. (and practically none on the market) It might not matter right in the city, but further out, it will be a big issue.

I can see a lot of Mohus and other "leaf" style antennas headed to the trash if it does.
blackcat6 is offline  
post #10420 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Well hopefully none of them will go to VHF-Lo. There have been practically no antennas sold in the last few years that can effectively receive these signals. (and practically none on the market) It might not matter right in the city, but further out, it will be a big issue.

I can see a lot of Mohus and other "leaf" style antennas headed to the trash if it does.
I agree and you can just imagine the questions asked if it does happen...

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is offline  
post #10421 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blackcat6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
I agree and you can just imagine the questions asked if it does happen...
Yeah like, "how can the government be so ****ing stupid? Spend a better part of a decade to move all the stations to UHF, only to turn around after it's all working fairly well, just to move them back again.
blackcat6 is offline  
post #10422 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 60
This will be big again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1415762  

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is offline  
post #10423 of 12876 Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 PM
Member
 
wncbraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I can easily see some room for consolidation in both Charlotte & the GSP market as a result. I think the big losers in this auction will be the subchannels. There simply won't be any space for them in the numbers they exist today.

WSOC could easily combine WSOC & WAXN into one, especially since both are 720p already.
WJZY could easily do the same with WMYT

In Greenville/Spartanburg WSPA & WLOS are already VHF, and both own other stations.

WSPA could go to a dual HD broadcast with WSPA and their sister station WYCW 62
WLOS could do the same with WMYA 40

I could see SC ETV participating as well. They really have a lot of overlap with their towers. The could re-locate one, and cover most of the upstate area.

Yeah I'd say your right, we will see a lot of combining of main channels such as WSOC and WAXN with 2 hd feeds. I actually receive WCYB Bristol here in Mitchell County and they carry NBC on 5.1 in 1080, the CW in 1080 on 5.2, and the decades subchannel in standard definition on 5.3, and I honestly can't tell any difference in picture quality between that NBC and NBC Charlotte. I think the biggest loss especially here in the mountain region will be translators which I would say will go pretty much by the wayside if they are above channel 30. The mountain areas are covered up with translators from the stations from the upstate because it is almost impossible to receive the stations from their main towers. Luckily the translators in my area for WSPA and WYFF are already VHF hi.
wncbraves is offline  
post #10424 of 12876 Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,664
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Yeah like, "how can the government be so ****ing stupid? Spend a better part of a decade to move all the stations to UHF, only to turn around after it's all working fairly well, just to move them back again.
Yes I hate to see a move back to VHF because UHF has worked well and VHF has been more problematic. So appropriate power levels and antenna patterns should be authorized to maintain coverage areas, as VHF has been more subject to noise and interference. But perhaps there may be some other UHF frequencies becoming available since it appears WSOC and WJZY may have to move. But hopefully Low VHF won't be a forced option, as High VHf seems to work better. Currently WSPA has a good strong signal on RF7, but WLOS on 13 is a bit problematic. Looks like WBTV, WCNC, and WCCB may be safe on UHF as they are unless something else changes.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10425 of 12876 Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,664
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I can easily see some room for consolidation in both Charlotte & the GSP market as a result. I think the big losers in this auction will be the subchannels. There simply won't be any space for them in the numbers they exist today.

WSOC could easily combine WSOC & WAXN into one, especially since both are 720p already.
WJZY could easily do the same with WMYT

In Greenville/Spartanburg WSPA & WLOS are already VHF, and both own other stations.

WSPA could go to a dual HD broadcast with WSPA and their sister station WYCW 62
WLOS could do the same with WMYA 40

I could see SC ETV participating as well. They really have a lot of overlap with their towers. The could re-locate one, and cover most of the upstate area.
I agree with your assessment, but of course the negotiations could turn out to be something entirely different. But it does appear that some of the major affiliates will indeed be moving, such as WSOC, WJZY, and WYFF. Posssibly WBTV, WCNC, WCCB, WSPA, and WLOS may be safe to remain at their current channels. And if they combine WSOC/WAXN and WJZY/WMYT, hopefully they will utilize advanced encoders for the mixing.

And I have said before SCETV has significant overlap. I could see WNTV RF9 (channel 29) remaining, but 49 and 38 may possibly be moving. I currently get all 3 SCETV channels consistently, so there seems to be unnecessary duplication, especially 29 and 49.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10426 of 12876 Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Have anybody Notice WCNC channel 36 has add a 3rd Sub channel and add the Decade Channel witch is a Joint channel between of CBS Corporation and Weigel Broadcasting.

http://decades.com/
eacalhoun likes this.
LMckin is offline  
post #10427 of 12876 Old 05-02-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,664
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Have anybody Notice WCNC channel 36 has add a 3rd Sub channel and add the Decade Channel witch is a Joint channel between of CBS Corporation and Weigel Broadcasting.

http://decades.com/
yes we have notice that.

I still prefer MeTV and Antenna TV, and Cozi ain't bad.
eacalhoun likes this.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10428 of 12876 Old 05-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any ideas as to what WHKY Hickory is going to air on 14.6? I noticed it this morning.
dixiedamsel is offline  
post #10429 of 12876 Old 05-10-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cpalmer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 46
.6 ??? Really??? These sub channels are getting out of hand. I hate to see what the quality is like on the main station
cpalmer2k is offline  
post #10430 of 12876 Old 05-10-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,664
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
.6 ??? Really??? These sub channels are getting out of hand. I hate to see what the quality is like on the main station
Advanced encoders supposedly allow for better multiplexing, but I indeed share your concern regarding video quality. Although when they upgrade to ATSC 3.0 it is supposed to be much improved. And there could be more channel sharing with the main HD stations as a result of the FCC repack. Although that remains to be seen what is going to happen there.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10431 of 12876 Old 05-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Member
 
tesla_engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedamsel View Post
Any ideas as to what WHKY Hickory is going to air on 14.6? I noticed it this morning.
Could have been someone updating the firmware in the encoder, and forgot to turn off the channel after update.
Just a thought.

Tom
tesla_engineer is offline  
post #10432 of 12876 Old 05-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
Could have been someone updating the firmware in the encoder, and forgot to turn off the channel after update.
Just a thought.
Darn! I was hoping they were gonna sneak another infomercial channel in.
dixiedamsel is offline  
post #10433 of 12876 Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bdfox18doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,911
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
Could have been someone updating the firmware in the encoder, and forgot to turn off the channel after update.
Just a thought.
I thought you had put a preamp on it Tom...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
bdfox18doe is offline  
post #10434 of 12876 Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 AM
A J
Advanced Member
 
A J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 55
SD sub-channels' aspect ratio

Kudos to Decades (ch 36.3) for using a format which preserves the original aspect ratio of the shows it transmits. I wish that all SD sub-channels would adopt that format.

Using 480i 16:9 they pillar-box (black bars on both sides) older 4:3 TV shows and really old 1.33:1 movies. Newer series are displayed correctly in 16:9 format. And last night I watched a movie, "The Lion in Winter", I had recorded on Decades and was delighted to discover that it was letter-boxed (black bars top and bottom), displaying the full 2.35:1 image.

Nice to watch that terrific movie as it was shown in theaters, instead of being cropped (butchered!).
blackcap93 and ejb1980 like this.
A J is offline  
post #10435 of 12876 Old 05-20-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,664
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Kudos to Decades (ch 36.3) for using a format which preserves the original aspect ratio of the shows it transmits. I wish that all SD sub-channels would adopt that format.

Using 480i 16:9 they pillar-box (black bars on both sides) older 4:3 TV shows and really old 1.33:1 movies. Newer series are displayed correctly in 16:9 format. And last night I watched a movie, "The Lion in Winter", I had recorded on Decades and was delighted to discover that it was letter-boxed (black bars top and bottom), displaying the full 2.35:1 image.

Nice to watch that terrific movie as it was shown in theaters, instead of being cropped (butchered!).
I suppose it is proper in 16:9 but for some reason I can't manually zoom it in all the way so I still have the black bars. Some subchannels you can zoom in and get rid of the black bars. But WBTV has their subchannels in 4:3 which is already zoomed in. But I would rather see Bounce channel in 16:9 so the newscasts would be full screen rather than zoomed in. WSOC has their news in 16:9 on 64.5 and it looks better even for SD. And MeTV on WSPA 7.2 is 4:3 zoomed in but it fill the whole screen, whereas WCCB has MeTV and Antenna TV with the black bars. WLOS also has Antenna TV on 13.3 but it is 4:3 zoomed in and but also fill the whole screen.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10436 of 12876 Old 05-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
*****
Hello! I stumbled upon this forum recently, and thanks to y'all, i've learned a lot (though I have much to learn).

I didn't know where to post this...

What's a good source(s) to find out what new stations are coming to my area? Everytime there's new/changed station activity, it seems that no local news outlet seems interested in reporting on it.

Thanks for your time.

*****
newdorplane is offline  
post #10437 of 12876 Old 05-22-2016, 08:08 AM
A J
Advanced Member
 
A J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdorplane View Post
What's a good source(s) to find out what new stations are coming to my area?
From my experience, this forum is your best source. New sub-channels in Charlotte seem to be reported here before anywhere else that I visit. Usually, there is some lead time of speculation and then, certainty, but occasionally a new sub-channel suddenly pops up. Someone always posts that immediately.

WHKY for several weeks has been transmitting a color bar chart on 14.6, typically done by most stations a while before they add a new service. But, no rumors as yet what that might be if it does happen.
A J is offline  
post #10438 of 12876 Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
From my experience, this forum is your best source. New sub-channels in Charlotte seem to be reported here before anywhere else that I visit. Usually, there is some lead time of speculation and then, certainty, but occasionally a new sub-channel suddenly pops up. Someone always posts that immediately.

WHKY for several weeks has been transmitting a color bar chart on 14.6, typically done by most stations a while before they add a new service. But, no rumors as yet what that might be if it does happen.
Appreciate the reply

Will keep my eyes open for new developments...as it stands, the house we're renting is in a bit of a valley, while the surrounding houses are quite a bit higher than our house.

So even with a rooftop antenna, I can't expect much - though we do get the basics.
newdorplane is offline  
post #10439 of 12876 Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,664
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdorplane View Post
Appreciate the reply

Will keep my eyes open for new developments...as it stands, the house we're renting is in a bit of a valley, while the surrounding houses are quite a bit higher than our house.

So even with a rooftop antenna, I can't expect much - though we do get the basics.
If you get the signal from the main channels then you will get the subchannels.
tylerSC is offline  
post #10440 of 12876 Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
realoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: columbus, nc
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anybody know whats going on withe rabbitears.info website??
realoldman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off