Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 388 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 807Likes

post #11611 of 13663 Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
Actually if you go to the "companies" then "production groups" section of Gray's website, there's Raycom Sports.

https://gray.tv/companies#productiongroups
Oh my! Thanks for the correction. They swallowed the whole thing! WOW!
eacalhoun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 13663 Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Actually if you go to the "companies" then "production groups" section of Gray's website, there's Raycom Sports.

https://gray.tv/companies#productiongroups
I guess the Gray kept the Raycom name for the sports telecasts.
post #11613 of 13663 Old 01-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Isn't this Raycom's last year of broadcasting? All of the ACC content from August 2019 on will be on ESPN or the new ACC Network.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11614 of 13663 Old 01-25-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
Isn't this Raycom's last year of broadcasting? All of the ACC content from August 2019 on will be on ESPN or the new ACC Network.
post #11615 of 13663 Old 01-26-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That will be sad because all the major ACC telecasts have historically been free OTA on WBTV.
post #11616 of 13663 Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
correct. The ACC tournament is basically the final broadcast
post #11617 of 13663 Old 01-27-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yes..they installed dedicated IP feeds direct from each station's studios..(The WCCB circuit also carries WOLO's signal since it originates from here.) It's a first class installation with top quality equipment, and they will call us fairly quickly if they detect any problems. We now have dedicated fiber feeds for Spectrum, AT&T, Google Fiber and Google YouTube, as well as ABC-Go. (The east coast server farm for ABC is located in Kings Mtn.) All of ABC's streaming is handled by Disney Cable Networks in California.

Just an update to this.. YouTube TV rolled out 95 new markets this week. They now have the “Big 4” for every market in SC and I think every market in NC now. Myrtle Beach also got CW21 added also. There may be other locals in other markets but so far I’ve only tested Myrtle Beach
post #11618 of 13663 Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
correct. The ACC tournament is basically the final broadcast
I had forgotten about the new "ESPN/ACCN (Network)". I will be pleasantly surprised if it's included with regular ESPN broadcasts OR an extra subscription like ESPN+ which is 4.99/mo.

http://www.getaccn.com/

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #11619 of 13663 Old 01-28-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The ACC Network will be a full time linear channel (or a channel and an alternate channel possibly?) like SEC Network & SEC Network Alternative. There have been rumors since it was announced that ESPN was going to axe one of their other channels like ESPNNews or the Longhorn Network instead of creating an entirely new channel but there hasn't been much said about that lately.

Basically they will absorb all the programming that Raycom and Fox Sports Net have been showing in recent years along with adding more of the less popular sports I'm sure. It will be a big transition though. No more ACC Basketball and Football on OTA unless it happens to be a game ABC picks up from their ESPN ties. Those are major staples in the South. I can remember ACC football and basketball being on WBTV dating back to when I was a kid. It was a tradition. Sometimes you got lucky and they showed one game while WSPA (and later WLOS) showed another.

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 01-28-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #11620 of 13663 Old 01-28-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
...No more ACC Basketball and Football on OTA unless it happens to be a game ABC picks up from their ESPN ties. Those are major staples in the South. I can remember ACC football and basketball being on WBTV dating back to when I was a kid. It was a tradition. Sometimes you got lucky and they showed one game while WSPA (and later WLOS) showed another.
Same here - at age 51, WBTV has aired ACC Football/Basketball for as long as I can remember. As a kid, my parents didn't watch such sports like they do now and I remember Mom flipping over to WSPA to watch her preempted CBS soaps. Sadly, an end to a broadcast era but nothing stays the same. On a potentially positive side, will this help eliminate the guesswork as to what channel is carrying what ACC team each time they play? Furthermore, this does mean that FoxSports (any channel) will no longer carry any ACC team game?

Eric Calhoun

post #11621 of 13663 Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Same here - at age 51, WBTV has aired ACC Football/Basketball for as long as I can remember. As a kid, my parents didn't watch such sports like they do now and I remember Mom flipping over to WSPA to watch her preempted CBS soaps. Sadly, an end to a broadcast era but nothing stays the same. On a potentially positive side, will this help eliminate the guesswork as to what channel is carrying what ACC team each time they play? Furthermore, this does mean that FoxSports (any channel) will no longer carry any ACC team game?
The games on FS South (and other ACC RSNs) are also Raycom games so they will go away, too.
post #11622 of 13663 Old 01-29-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 95
So many ESPN experts. hmmm
post #11623 of 13663 Old 01-30-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
So many ESPN experts. hmmm
Among Other things too!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 01-30-2019 at 03:36 AM.
post #11624 of 13663 Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will probably watch Super Bowl on WBTV since the bitrate better after WSPA combine with WYCW. I think HD is better for CBS on WBTV.
post #11625 of 13663 Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I will probably watch Super Bowl on WBTV since the bitrate better after WSPA combine with WYCW. I think HD is better for CBS on WBTV.
I haven't had a chance to download the files and check the bitrates yet but the difference seems to be fairly substantial. I recorded the Super Bowl on WSPA (via Charter) and WBTV OTA. Both were recorded via TiVo with the exact same timing. The WSPA file is about 14gb and the WBTV file is about 22- almost 23 GB!
post #11626 of 13663 Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Not a real technical comment here, but I'm prefacing some "technical' history that occurred here in the Charlotte market in the 1980s. I'm a fan of classic game shows, so Buzzr (WJZY 46.7) is a favorite channel. I'm pleasantly surprised that Buzzr has been promoting the return of "The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour" - an ill-fated revival of two popular 70s game shows. The show only lasted ONE season on NBC, 1983-84 - Buzzr airs a marathon of these shows on Sunday, Feb 17. The concept of mashing the two popular shows together (hoping for the same success as Reese's with chocolate and peanut butter) and maybe a chemistry deficiency between its hosts contributed to the show's quick demise. Also if a significant number of NBC affiliates didn't carry the show - as was the case here in Charlotte - that, too, may have aided in its end. However the show was carried here, but by WHKY. For reasons I don't know nor recall from 35 years ago, WCNC (WPCQ at the time) didn't carry it. And maybe the folks over at "36" - like Fred Silverman - hated game shows, as WHKY also carried NBC's "Super Password". Because while the NBC time slots for these shows may not have been ideal for WPCQ, it seems they could have aired it on tape delay in a different slot.

Eric Calhoun

post #11627 of 13663 Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wbtv

I see a promo WBTV is now celebrating 70 years of broadcasting as the first TV station in the Carolinas. Showing clips with Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean, Paul Cameron and others. Helped pave the way for the other broadcasters and stations succeeding today.
post #11628 of 13663 Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I see a promo WBTV is now celebrating 70 years of broadcasting as the first TV station in the Carolinas. Showing clips with Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean, Paul Cameron and others. Helped pave the way for the other broadcasters and stations succeeding today.
If I remember correctly WBTV was the 13th tv station in the country
post #11629 of 13663 Old 02-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
If I remember correctly WBTV was the 13th tv station in the country
Yes, WBTV was the 13th tv station in the country. And here in the Carolinas, WFMY in Greensboro was a close second place to WBTV, going on the air just a few months later.
post #11630 of 13663 Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Not a real technical comment here, but I'm prefacing some "technical' history that occurred here in the Charlotte market in the 1980s. I'm a fan of classic game shows, so Buzzr (WJZY 46.7) is a favorite channel. I'm pleasantly surprised that Buzzr has been promoting the return of "The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour" - an ill-fated revival of two popular 70s game shows. The show only lasted ONE season on NBC, 1983-84 - Buzzr airs a marathon of these shows on Sunday, Feb 17. The concept of mashing the two popular shows together (hoping for the same success as Reese's with chocolate and peanut butter) and maybe a chemistry deficiency between its hosts contributed to the show's quick demise. Also if a significant number of NBC affiliates didn't carry the show - as was the case here in Charlotte - that, too, may have aided in its end. However the show was carried here, but by WHKY. For reasons I don't know nor recall from 35 years ago, WCNC (WPCQ at the time) didn't carry it. And maybe the folks over at "36" - like Fred Silverman - hated game shows, as WHKY also carried NBC's "Super Password". Because while the NBC time slots for these shows may not have been ideal for WPCQ, it seems they could have aired it on tape delay in a different slot.
It makes me feel old when I think back to myself (as a kid) watching Match Game (hosted by Gene Rayburn) in the 1970's. Many of the stars on that show have now passed away - well with the notable exception of the regular guest star on that show, Betty White, who is now 97 years old.

I'm not sure how the ratings are, but I've seen the newly revived Match Game on ABC recently hosted by Alec Baldwin. Certainly much bigger cash prizes now versus what I recall in the 70's!
post #11631 of 13663 Old 02-10-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 26
[QUOTE=evan237;57572928]It makes me feel old when I think back to myself (as a kid) watching Match Game (hosted by Gene Rayburn) in the 1970's. Many of the stars on that show have now passed away - well with the notable exception of the regular guest star on that show, Betty White, who is now 97 years old. QUOTE]
I don't know how old I feel, but I remember the first iteration of Match Game in the early '60's.
Gene Rayburn was not as 'hip" back then. The two celebrity panalists from that period I remember were Peggy Cass and Skitch Henderson. Cass is now remembered almost entirely for game show appearances. Henderson is mostly forgotten.

Match Game was produced at Rockefeller Center, as was Tonight!. Henderson was the developer of the NBC Orchestra, which would be famous as the "Tonight Show Band" under Doc Severinson. I've assumed that Henderson's appearances on Match Game were because he was there. And he is mostly forgotten because almost all the NBC programming then on videotape was wiped and now lost, including Johnny Carson's Tonight! from New York, and the first Match Game version.
Henderson left NBC before Carson took his show to California. So, most of Henderson's TV work is gone. But the mystery of Skitch Henderson is not gone.If he had been a little less well known there might not have been a mystery. The first 25 years of Henderson's life is not established. Henderson said he was born in England, others say he wasn't. Everybody agrees he worked in Hollywood in the late '30's. Henderson said he flew Hurricanes for the RAF in WW2 until Bing Crosby got him released to the US Army Air Corps. Others say there was no record of any RAF service.....but, there is no explanation for how a Hollywood musician became a flight instructor in the USAAC without some flying experience. There was something about Henderson's past that people were not supposed to know.
post #11632 of 13663 Old 02-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Regarding WCNC's morning show - I have absolutely NOTHING against Iisha Scott, but I have an increasing concern/suspicion that Larry Sprinkle's days are numbered. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems odd that for the past two weeks for two weather folks to have been on the air simultaneously during mostly benign weather - save for the frigid 2-day cold snap a week and half ago. If the end is near for Larry, I hope it's his choice and not management. There's lots to be said for Larry Sprinkle's longevity at "36" through countless co-anchors, countless owners, etc. If he's leaving, it needs to be dignified. WSPA viewers were ready to take their hacksaws to Hogback Mountain way back when they tried giving Jack Roper the boot and I believe with Larry's popularity he potentially has the same following.

Eric Calhoun

post #11633 of 13663 Old 02-10-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Regarding WCNC's morning show - I have absolutely NOTHING against Iisha Scott, but I have an increasing concern/suspicion that Larry Sprinkle's days are numbered. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems odd that for the past two weeks for two weather folks to have been on the air simultaneously during mostly benign weather - save for the frigid 2-day cold snap a week and half ago. If the end is near for Larry, I hope it's his choice and not management. There's lots to be said for Larry Sprinkle's longevity at "36" through countless co-anchors, countless owners, etc. If he's leaving, it needs to be dignified. WSPA viewers were ready to take their hacksaws to Hogback Mountain way back when they tried giving Jack Roper the boot and I believe with Larry's popularity he potentially has the same following.
If Larry is leaving it may be a budget or retirement issue. Gannett (now Tegna) has a history of replacing top talent with lower salary and younger replacements. Most notable was WUSA channel 9 in DC when they let go veteran anchors Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan back in the 90's. They were immediately hired by WJLA channel 7. Since acquiring WCNC, Gannett has retired top talent such as Stuart Watson and longtime anchor Sonja Gantt. But the current anchors are good choices and they do a good job. But I hope Larry is not leaving yet.

As for WSPA, they moved Jack Roper to the morning show but I always found him entertaining doing the weather.
post #11634 of 13663 Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have a Samsung Smart Tv and last dec. I started getting free streaming channels after updating the tv system. It’s up 38 channels. A friend of mine just bought a LG TV and has over 60 channels. There calling tv plus and channel plus. Anybody else know anything about this.
post #11635 of 13663 Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
I have a Samsung Smart Tv and last dec. I started getting free streaming channels after updating the tv system. It’s up 38 channels. A friend of mine just bought a LG TV and has over 60 channels. There calling tv plus and channel plus. Anybody else know anything about this.
LG info here: https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...and-management

Samsung Info: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061521/

Eric Calhoun

post #11636 of 13663 Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 44
WSOC TV Maybe up for Sale by COX Media

WSOC TV maybe up for sale by Cox Media

http://www.wvxu.org/post/cox-selling...M17l0#stream/0
post #11637 of 13663 Old 02-15-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
LG info here: https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...and-management

Samsung Info: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061521/
Thanks I had already seen those. I read somewhere that Sony and Vizio where going to go it also.
post #11638 of 13663 Old 02-16-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
WSOC TV maybe up for sale by Cox Media

http://www.wvxu.org/post/cox-selling...M17l0#stream/0
Pretty sure from what I've read the sale is "done" - except for FCC approval, I'm sure.

Eric Calhoun

post #11639 of 13663 Old 02-16-2019, 07:26 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 58
A neighbor told me that he heard that WVEB-LD will move from virtual channel 40 to channel 22 next Wednesday. Can anyone confirm this? I occasionally record shows on Cozi (40.1) and it always takes TiVo 2 or 3 weeks to get their OTA program guide corrected after a channel change.
post #11640 of 13663 Old 02-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
A neighbor told me that he heard that WVEB-LD will move from virtual channel 40 to channel 22 next Wednesday. Can anyone confirm this? I occasionally record shows on Cozi (40.1) and it always takes TiVo 2 or 3 weeks to get their OTA program guide corrected after a channel change.
Based on Rabbitears.info, it should be happening sometime. I don't know when. Click on the link and then expand the Charlotte market stations for details.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page