Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 389 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 780Likes

post #11641 of 13602 Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If Cox sells sells WSOC-TV they will still have a minority interest. How much of a minority?

As for Larry Sprinkle, if they are pushing him out I expect he will just sit out his non compete and wind up being snapped up by another Charlotte station if he wants to work. I'm sure one of the other stations would snap him up in a heartbeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11642 of 13602 Old 02-17-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
WSOC TV maybe up for sale by Cox Media

http://www.wvxu.org/post/cox-selling...M17l0#stream/0
Apparently Cox Media selling the TV stations to investment company, but will keep the radio stations and newspapers, including flagship News750-WSB in Atlanta and Atlanta Journal-Constituton. But flagship WSB-TV channel 2 will be sold, along with WSOC-TV in Charlotte if deal go through. The TV stations are apparently strong performers in their respective markets, so this seems a bit surprising but I guess it was a business decision.
post #11643 of 13602 Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
A neighbor told me that he heard that WVEB-LD will move from virtual channel 40 to channel 22 next Wednesday. Can anyone confirm this? I occasionally record shows on Cozi (40.1) and it always takes TiVo 2 or 3 weeks to get their OTA program guide corrected after a channel change.
Based on Rabbitears.info, it should be happening sometime. I don't know when. Click on the link and then expand the Charlotte market stations for details.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php
August this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11644 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Wbtv and WSOC being sold do think they will be adding more sub channels?
post #11645 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
Wbtv and WSOC being sold do think they will be adding more sub channels?
I hope not because picture quality is very good right now. Too many subchannels degrade from the HD and they all look bad. WJZY looked better before they merged with 55 and now they all suffer.
post #11646 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I move to Inman SC I get very strong signal from UNC-TV channel 17 in Linville, NC. Very good reception for zip code 29349 long distance in Spartanburg County.

Also I now get WSOC reliable from the Crowder's Mtn. translator so I hope I don't lose it when they move to 12. But I think the power limit should be increased for these VHF translators since digital VHF can be problematic with noise and interference and the power level has to compensate. Because the coverage map may look good on paper but some stations requested to move back to UHF from VHF during the original transition, or they were allowed to increase power. The coverage map is better when they move to 12, but I currently get a stable signal on 30 so I hope it maintains.
post #11647 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Since I move to Inman SC I get very strong signal from UNC-TV channel 17 in Linville, NC. Very good reception for zip code 29349 long distance in Spartanburg County.

Also I now get WSOC reliable from the Crowder's Mtn. translator so I hope I don't lose it when they move to 12. But I think the power limit should be increased for these VHF translators since digital VHF can be problematic with noise and interference and the power level has to compensate. Because the coverage map may look good on paper but some stations requested to move back to UHF from VHF during the original transition, or they were allowed to increase power. The coverage map is better when they move to 12, but I currently get a stable signal on 30 so I hope it maintains.
I am pretty sure some Engineering went into calculating out the ERP and the HAAT to get the desired coverage area for the VHF-High coverage.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11648 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Looks like my neighbor was right. Cozi TV is now on 22.1. And my TiVo's program guide will be wrong for the usual 2 weeks it takes for TiVo to adjust to an OTA channel switcharoo.
post #11649 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Looks like my neighbor was right. Cozi TV is now on 22.1. .
It's virtual channel is 22.1.. Actual RF channel is 14. At least that's what my Tv is showing. RF channel 22 is still WCNC-DT.

Too bad that WHEH-LD no longer carries AccuWx.

60 Channels here with my antenna.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 02-21-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #11650 of 13602 Old 02-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Looks like my neighbor was right. Cozi TV is now on 22.1. And my TiVo's program guide will be wrong for the usual 2 weeks it takes for TiVo to adjust to an OTA channel switcharoo.
I am expecting to have to call in (or make a report on-line) to Tivo this Fall when the repacks start. I like my Tivos; but I think their customer service has gone down. I'm not certain; but I am thinking they have outsourced their call center.

But I am looking forward to the repack for potentially better reception on some channels to include WJZY this Fall. As stated on here before by others (and also confirmed by WJZY), they will be top mounting their antenna and it will be omni-directional while broadcasting at 1000KW.

If they can get a new signal out like WBTV has, it should be impressive. We'll see.
post #11651 of 13602 Old 02-22-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
I am pretty sure some Engineering went into calculating out the ERP and the HAAT to get the desired coverage area for the VHF-High coverage.
Well I hope I can still get WSOC when they move to 12, as the coverage maps indicate a wider coverage area than 30. But they may need more power to avoid adjacent channel interference when WSPA full power signal moves to 11, as that will reach into Shelby and Gastonia areas where WSOC-12 is supposed to serve.

But today I just got the 8bay Channel Master antenna installed in the attic, and it is pulling in WCCB at 2 or 3 bars. Hoping to find another spot for WSOC-34, but maybe better luck when they move to 19. Still a work in progress. Currently using old version CM-7777 preamp 26db, working good with FM trap on.
post #11652 of 13602 Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I am expecting to have to call in (or make a report on-line) to Tivo this Fall when the repacks start. I like my Tivos; but I think their customer service has gone down. I'm not certain; but I am thinking they have outsourced their call center.

But I am looking forward to the repack for potentially better reception on some channels to include WJZY this Fall. As stated on here before by others (and also confirmed by WJZY), they will be top mounting their antenna and it will be omni-directional while broadcasting at 1000KW.

If they can get a new signal out like WBTV has, it should be impressive. We'll see.
Well speaking of top mount, apparently good news as WCNC may have modified their plans and will move 24 repack antenna to the top of the tower, according to Rabbitears website if I understand correctly. And height is taller than WBTV and WJZY, but as a result they will reduce power permit from 1000kw to 857kw. Not sure why since WBTV and WJZY are allowed 1000kw, but apparently it is a height and power calculation. But should still be a good improvement over current signal, but will remain more directional to the east. But hopefully will be less nulls than current signal on 22.

As for WJZY,it should hopefully be an improved signal, but it apparently may also be somewhat directional to protect station in Columbia, SC on the same channel. But the coverage map seems nearly identical to WBTV.
post #11653 of 13602 Old 02-22-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Well speaking of top mount, apparently good news as WCNC may have modified their plans and will move 24 repack antenna to the top of the tower, according to Rabbitears website if I understand correctly. And height is taller than WBTV and WJZY, but as a result they will reduce power permit from 1000kw to 857kw. Not sure why since WBTV and WJZY are allowed 1000kw, but apparently it is a height and power calculation.
It was an error. WCNC planned to top-mount all along, but erroneously filed a side-mount. By the time they realized it, the FCC freeze was back in place, so in order to raise the height on the permit and top-mount, they had to drop power to prevent the coverage from expanding.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11654 of 13602 Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
It was an error. WCNC planned to top-mount all along, but erroneously filed a side-mount. By the time they realized it, the FCC freeze was back in place, so in order to raise the height on the permit and top-mount, they had to drop power to prevent the coverage from expanding.

- Trip
Perhaps if the freeze is lifted they can appeal again for 1000kw if they choose to. The other stations were allowed to increase based upon strongest signal rule applied to WBTV, according to what I have read. Anyway the additional height for WCNC is probably the more important issue rather than a slight variation in the power level. So signal should hopefully improve better than the current side mount.
post #11655 of 13602 Old 02-22-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 8bay Channel Master 4228 antenna made big improvement on attic reception where I am dealing with bouncing signals, reflections, and possible radiant barrier. And the original 26db Channel Master preamp 7777 works great without issue, so I can add rabbit ears for 13 and 7, and future VHF antenna for WSOC on 12. But I am hoping to get main WSOC on 19, as I am now currently getting WCCB on 27. I want to try moving antenna around some to see if I can pull in WSOC on 34. Should be able to since I get WCCB from similar location, you would think. I will play around in the attic on Sunday and Monday when I am off. May try some other preamps and see what works better. Also have Winegard LNA200 and new Channel Master Amplify. Slowly making progress and Rooms To Go come on Tuesday with living room suite.
post #11656 of 13602 Old 02-22-2019, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 8bay Channel Master 4228 antenna made big improvement on attic reception where I am dealing with bouncing signals, reflections, and possible radiant barrier. And the original 26db Channel Master preamp 7777 works great without issue, so I can add rabbit ears for 13 and 7, and future VHF antenna for WSOC on 12. But I am hoping to get main WSOC on 19, as I am now currently getting WCCB on 27. I want to try moving antenna around some to see if I can pull in WSOC on 34. Should be able to since I get WCCB from similar location, you would think. I will play around in the attic on Sunday and Monday when I am off. May try some other preamps and see what works better. Also have Winegard LNA200 and new Channel Master Amplify. Slowly making progress and Rooms To Go come on Tuesday with living room suite.
Good to hear your 8bay Channel Master 4228 antenna is working well for you in the attic. I've never tried Channel Master and wonder how well their 4228 stacks up to the Antennas Direct DB8e? There's so much trial and error with attic installs. And I learned a long time ago that even moving an antenna (in the attic) a few inches can sometimes make a real difference in reception. I've got that situation with WSOC where I can get a good lock on WSOC. But if I move the antenna just a few inches more - it can almost knock it out completely! So it can really take some experimentation in the attic with some channels. And obviously, it's easier if you've got a signal meter....and even better if you've got a buddy or family member that can watch the TV while you are simultaneously trying different placements with the antenna in the attic.

And speaking of playing around in the attic, I wonder (if you) or other forum members on here have any 'creative' ideas for something I'd like to try! First some background, I've got a Clearstream 4v in my attic (working well) that serves two of my TVs (both with Tivos). But I've also got a Clearstream 4MAX up there in the attic to serve a 3rd TV since I don't like have too many splits off one antenna - especially when using Tivos on each set.

At any rate, I've located a potential 'sweet spot' for the new Clearstream 4MAX (to serve my 3rd TV). But my dilemma is getting to that part of the attic where there is no flooring. I've only got an 8 by 10 storage area in my attic. The rest of my attic is basically off limits with blown in insulation and who knows what underneath it!

I've envisioned using a long light pole (one I used to use at my other house to change light bulbs on a vaulted ceiling light fan) ......along with something on the end of that light pole extender pole to try and position the Clearstream 4MAX in the area of the attic that I want to try. And perhaps mounting the Clearstream 4MAX to some type of hook system (maybe something I could buy at Lowe's or Home Depot that would enable me to somehow hook the antenna onto one of my horizontal 2 by 4's in the attic. But beyond that general idea, I am still at a loss as to how to engineer (to to speak) a mount system where I can get the antenna out there over my attic trusses and hooked onto a horizontal 2 by 4 when I cannot (and will not) directly walk over that area of the attic with no flooring.

Any creative types on here got any ideas as to how a person could specifically handle that - working from my floored area of the attic only?

Last edited by evan237; 02-22-2019 at 10:56 PM.
post #11657 of 13602 Old 02-23-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
Surprised to learn that WCNC would make such a dumb mistake when submitting their permit request.
post #11658 of 13602 Old 02-23-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Surprised to learn that WCNC would make such a dumb mistake when submitting their permit request.
Corporate bureaucracy blunder.
post #11659 of 13602 Old 02-23-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to hear your 8bay Channel Master 4228 antenna is working well for you in the attic. I've never tried Channel Master and wonder how well their 4228 stacks up to the Antennas Direct DB8e? There's so much trial and error with attic installs. And I learned a long time ago that even moving an antenna (in the attic) a few inches can sometimes make a real difference in reception. I've got that situation with WSOC where I can get a good lock on WSOC. But if I move the antenna just a few inches more - it can almost knock it out completely! So it can really take some experimentation in the attic with some channels. And obviously, it's easier if you've got a signal meter....and even better if you've got a buddy or family member that can watch the TV while you are simultaneously trying different placements with the antenna in the attic.

And speaking of playing around in the attic, I wonder (if you) or other forum members on here have any 'creative' ideas for something I'd like to try! First some background, I've got a Clearstream 4v in my attic (working well) that serves two of my TVs (both with Tivos). But I've also got a Clearstream 4MAX up there in the attic to serve a 3rd TV since I don't like have too many splits off one antenna - especially when using Tivos on each set.

At any rate, I've located a potential 'sweet spot' for the new Clearstream 4MAX (to serve my 3rd TV). But my dilemma is getting to that part of the attic where there is no flooring. I've only got an 8 by 10 storage area in my attic. The rest of my attic is basically off limits with blown in insulation and who knows what underneath it!

I've envisioned using a long light pole (one I used to use at my other house to change light bulbs on a vaulted ceiling light fan) ......along with something on the end of that light pole extender pole to try and position the Clearstream 4MAX in the area of the attic that I want to try. And perhaps mounting the Clearstream 4MAX to some type of hook system (maybe something I could buy at Lowe's or Home Depot that would enable me to somehow hook the antenna onto one of my horizontal 2 by 4's in the attic. But beyond that general idea, I am still at a loss as to how to engineer (to to speak) a mount system where I can get the antenna out there over my attic trusses and hooked onto a horizontal 2 by 4 when I cannot (and will not) directly walk over that area of the attic with no flooring.

Any creative types on here got any ideas as to how a person could specifically handle that - working from my floored area of the attic only?
Easy solution. Install a Channel Master 3414 4-port distribution amp and split the signal from 1 antenna. It will serve as an amplified splitter and overcome the signal loss. You can combine a distro amp and a preamp if signals are balanced properly, or use one or the other. No need for 2 antennas unless you need to receive different channels or multiple markets.
post #11660 of 13602 Old 02-23-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also WCNC repack power level still an increase and the increased height from top mount should benefit the signal and make minimal difference hopefully.
post #11661 of 13602 Old 02-23-2019, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Easy solution. Install a Channel Master 3414 4-port distribution amp and split the signal from 1 antenna. It will serve as an amplified splitter and overcome the signal loss. You can combine a distro amp and a preamp if signals are balanced properly, or use one or the other. No need for 2 antennas unless you need to receive different channels or multiple markets.
I am currently using a power passing splitter from Home Depot along with a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier for my two main TVs (that both have Tivos attached to them). But even so, it's been such a 'balancing act' in the attic. Right now, my main antenna gets a good lock on WBTV, WSOC, WCCB and WCNC. If I change the setup on the main antenna (to get good signal on WJZY), I will lose WSOC.

So, yes, I wanted to use a 2nd antenna (for the 3rd TV) so I can try to get a good locked signal on WJZY and thus be able to record from the 'Movies' subchannel. However, it may be too much to try to get a 2nd antenna out in the attic (over an area without flooring) even though I am expecting a sweet spot there that will lock in WJZY.

If no easy way to do this - I will just wait till the Fall and hope issues with WJZY will resolve themselves with the repack and top mounted antenna they plan to install.

Last edited by evan237; 02-23-2019 at 11:22 PM.
post #11662 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Lot's of Tropospheric Ducting the past few days, I was watching WYFF from Greenvile SC this morning after a scan

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11663 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I am currently using a power passing splitter from Home Depot along with a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier for my two main TVs (that both have Tivos attached to them). But even so, it's been such a 'balancing act' in the attic. Right now, my main antenna gets a good lock on WBTV, WSOC, WCCB and WCNC. If I change the setup on the main antenna (to get good signal on WJZY), I will lose WSOC.

So, yes, I wanted to use a 2nd antenna (for the 3rd TV) so I can try to get a good locked signal on WJZY and thus be able to record from the 'Movies' subchannel. However, it may be too much to try to get a 2nd antenna out in the attic (over an area without flooring) even though I am expecting a sweet spot there that will lock in WJZY.

If no easy way to do this - I will just wait till the Fall and hope issues with WJZY will resolve themselves with the repack and top mounted antenna they plan to install.
Wondering which TiVo you have. We have an old Premier that we pay $14.95 a month for the guide. I just saw an offer for the Roamio and the Bolt with the guide included at a decent price. Trouble is it changes fast I'm not sure I can find the offer again. I have heard the Roamio has a better tuner than the Bolt so I'm wondering....
post #11664 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
Wondering which TiVo you have. We have an old Premier that we pay $14.95 a month for the guide. I just saw an offer for the Roamio and the Bolt with the guide included at a decent price. Trouble is it changes fast I'm not sure I can find the offer again. I have heard the Roamio has a better tuner than the Bolt so I'm wondering....
I have two old Prmieres that I bought back in 2011/2012, which still work fine (bought them with life time option so I wouldn't have the monthly guide expense). Just over a year ago, I bought a Roamio (guide included with no extra fees). I bought it mainly b/c I got a really good buy on it (compared to what I paid for the Premieres) and also to serve (the Roamio) as a replacement when one of my Premieres goes bad.

Although I've got no experience using the Bolt, what you heard about the Roamio having a superior tuner versus the Bolt, is the same as what I read in the reviews before I bought my Roamio 1 1/2 years ago. So that might be a reason for you to select the Roamio versus the Bolt - but I cannot say for sure. There is currently a Presidents Day Sale at Tivo that you can check out on their web site that's going on for another week.

One 'cost' factor I can say (about all Tivos) is the fact that none of the tuners appear as good as the built-in TVs' tuners. And I would say the issue becomes 'more' pronounced depending on how many TVs (and Tivos) you intend to use off of one antenna. IMO - that's one thing I liked about the Premiere - it only has two tuners versus 4 tuners.

Maybe Tyler can weigh in here on his experience with his Channel Master 3414 4-port distribution amp versus other preamps, such as my Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier, in terms of its effectiveness when getting into lots of tuners off a single antenna. All that being said - I like Tivo for 1) it's very nice guide interface and 2) the ability to record shows.
post #11665 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have found the TiVo Roamio has a better tuner than the Premier, and a faster user interface. Don't know about the Bolt.

At my former residence, I used a preamp at the antenna in the attic and a distribution amp at the junction box in the closet downstairs. This combination worked very well, but it depends on the length and number of cable runs if you need to use 2 amplifiers, which will vary by location. Sometimes a single preamp or distribution amp is all that is needed because you don't want to overboost the signals and have overload issues. But the Channel Master amplifiers are good products, and can also be sold under the PCT brand name. And others here have reported good results with the Winegard LNA200 preamp, although the power level may be a bit lower.
post #11666 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have found the TiVo Roamio has a better tuner than the Premier, and a faster user interface. Don't know about the Bolt.

At my former residence, I used a preamp at the antenna in the attic and a distribution amp at the junction box in the closet downstairs. This combination worked very well, but it depends on the length and number of cable runs if you need to use 2 amplifiers, which will vary by location. Sometimes a single preamp or distribution amp is all that is needed because you don't want to overboost the signals and have overload issues. But the Channel Master amplifiers are good products, and can also be sold under the PCT brand name. And others here have reported good results with the Winegard LNA200 preamp, although the power level may be a bit lower.
Also the TiVo may have a built in amplifier so you probably don't want to use both a preamp and a distribution amp in that case. Just one or the other.
post #11667 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I use both the TiVo Roamio and now have an HDHomeRun Quatro model for OTA. The TiVo Roamio tuners do seem weaker than those in TVs I own and don't seem to be as sensitive as those in the HDHomeRun devices but I think most of that has to do with the way they split the signal four ways internally.

I'm in a similar boat Evan.. I'm still trying to find the "sweet spot" antenna/setup that will let me pick up everything. My antenna has some wind damage now and some rust issues so I'm planning to replace it once the repack goes life in August. I've picked up three antennas I'm hoping to "test" over the next few months:

1. Antennas Direct ClearStream 4MAX
2. Channel Master Omni+ 50
3. Televes Dinova Boss Mix (from Solid Signal)

I'm *hoping* that either the ClearStream 4Max or the Omni+ 50 will work out and I'll be able to take advantage of their multi directional abilities to pick up everything I need to pick up. The ClearStream seems to have good reviews in most places, and you can add on a reflector kit if you need to. The Omni+ 50 is new but has gotten several fairly favorable reviews so far. I know Omni Directional antennas are a crap shoot, but I'm giving it a shot. I've also got a Kitz Pre-Amp to tag along in my testing of both if needed.

The Televes antennas have always intrigued me. The Boss Mix is a newer model that adds extendable rods to improve VHF reception over last years model. A lot of reviews have been favorable of the old model and Dish picked it to be their "go to antenna" for those people who sign up for Sling TV and pay for an antenna install. I'm anxious to test it out as they claim their "BOSS" amplifier system is good at balancing strong and/or weak signals in the same area.

If neither of the Omni directional antennas pan out after the repack I'm just going to pick up a second HDHomeRun Quatro and have two antennas- one dedicated to GSP and one dedicated to Charlotte. I've been testing the "Channels" DVR app on one of my MyCloud drives and have been really impressed with how well it works with the HDHomeRun devices. I'm to the point I rarely record anything on the TiVo anymore OTA unless I need to do a long manual recording.
post #11668 of 13602 Old 02-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I'm in a similar boat Evan.. I'm still trying to find the "sweet spot" antenna/setup that will let me pick up everything. My antenna has some wind damage now and some rust issues so I'm planning to replace it once the repack goes life in August. I've picked up three antennas I'm hoping to "test" over the next few months:

1. Antennas Direct ClearStream 4MAX
2. Channel Master Omni+ 50
3. Televes Dinova Boss Mix (from Solid Signal)
Yes, I would say we're in the same boat trying to get everything. Even in good reception areas (as I have), this can be quite the challenge when you are dealing with multiple points on the compass. It would be nice if it were as easy as FM radio - but that's just not the case with HDTV.

As for your post about reviewing antennas, I have no experience with the Channel Master Omni+ 50 and the Televes Dinova Boss Mix (from Solid Signal)....but I can give you my own direct (recent) comparison between the Clearstream 4v (with the back reflector) and the new Clearstream 4MAX without the back reflector.

When tested at my house, the Clearstream 4v is the winner in terms of its more powerful forward gain (with that back reflector)....although I would not call it a huge difference. On the other hand, if the weaker forward gain of the Clearstream 4MAX is sufficient....then the 4MAX 'does' offer the advantage of being able to pull stations off the back side more effectively. So it really depends on your situation and how much forward gain you need to pull in your stations that are the farthest away.

I have four points on the compass (i.e. CLT stations, Dallas stations, GSO stations, and WXII in W-S). It's really impossible for me to try to balance all of those stations and get perfect reception on everything simultaneously off a single antenna. That's why I was considering trying to play with the placement of a 2nd antenna in the attic. But I may forgo that until the repack and see how that works out.
post #11669 of 13602 Old 02-25-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Yes, I would say we're in the same boat trying to get everything. Even in good reception areas (as I have), this can be quite the challenge when you are dealing with multiple points on the compass. It would be nice if it were as easy as FM radio - but that's just not the case with HDTV.

As for your post about reviewing antennas, I have no experience with the Channel Master Omni+ 50 and the Televes Dinova Boss Mix (from Solid Signal)....but I can give you my own direct (recent) comparison between the Clearstream 4v (with the back reflector) and the new Clearstream 4MAX without the back reflector.

When tested at my house, the Clearstream 4v is the winner in terms of its more powerful forward gain (with that back reflector)....although I would not call it a huge difference. On the other hand, if the weaker forward gain of the Clearstream 4MAX is sufficient....then the 4MAX 'does' offer the advantage of being able to pull stations off the back side more effectively. So it really depends on your situation and how much forward gain you need to pull in your stations that are the farthest away.

I have four points on the compass (i.e. CLT stations, Dallas stations, GSO stations, and WXII in W-S). It's really impossible for me to try to balance all of those stations and get perfect reception on everything simultaneously off a single antenna. That's why I was considering trying to play with the placement of a 2nd antenna in the attic. But I may forgo that until the repack and see how that works out.
I'm in the same situation now. I'm testing things a bit and also plan to experiment with attic placement vs. outdoors. Our house has a really bad series of roof lines that make it nearly impossible to climb up and put an antenna on top. The only option is one corner or another, neither of which gives a full clearance. I'm fortunate in that we have a bonus room with walk out doors leading into the attic on both sides that give me good options to play with. If I can get it to work in the attic without the roof interfering too much I can easily get another 10 feet, maybe more, of height because of how high the roof peaks vs. the corner outdoor spot I'm having to use now. There isn't any point in playing with it until the repack though because with power levels changing, stations going to top mount, and stations being so close together channel wise I think it is better to wait until it is here than try to guess what will work then.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the changes bring. I'm hoping to finally be able to pick up a UNC TV station reliably too after WUNF moves to the old WYCW tower. Right now I can't pick up any UNC TV stations at all.
post #11670 of 13602 Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM

I have an slightly older Channel Master bow tie type 4 bay (all in a single line with a single mesh screen). It picks up WTVI great and is aimed toward WBTV, WJZY, and WCNC. I get a whopper of a signal on WBTV about 95 on the TiVo Premiere meter. WSOC which is a lot closer is only about 75 and I believe WCCB is 80-83. WTVI is strong too around 90 which is a surprise considering it's on VHF (The Channel Master is UHF ONLY) even though it's only a little further away from me than WSOC and WCCB.

I'm on the fence about getting the Roamio I don't need 4 tuners especially if they load down the available signal from the antenna. The extra storage would be nice but the big thing would be not having to pay for the guide service anymore, that's the big issue for me.

Mike

ROAMIO ORDERED SHOULD BE HERE 3/1/19.

Last edited by W4DXL; 02-25-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page