Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 510Likes

post #11671 of 12691 Old 02-25-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Regarding omnidirectional antennas, the Antop 414B UFO antenna has previously received good reviews here. It is available for $59 on Amazon Prime, but you have to look carefully for the lowest price listing. The same antenna is also sold for $84.

Also I have found the Antop flat panel antenna to perform very well, model 400BV. It is a UHF flat panel with rabbit ears for VHF and an inline amplifier. Able to find a sweet spot for multiple directions. And for the fringes, the identical Marathon Antenna has a built in amplifier rather than the inline amp.

And from Winegard, the outdoor Flatwave Air and Elite antennas may be worthy of consideration, but they may be more directional rather than omnidirectional.

But that Televes Dinova Boss antenna has good reviews with the smart amplifier, and the new version improves VHF reception with the added dipoles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 12691 Old 02-25-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Regarding omnidirectional antennas, the Antop 414B UFO antenna has previously received good reviews here. It is available for $59 on Amazon Prime, but you have to look carefully for the lowest price listing. The same antenna is also sold for $84.

Also I have found the Antop flat panel antenna to perform very well, model 400BV. It is a UHF flat panel with rabbit ears for VHF and an inline amplifier. Able to find a sweet spot for multiple directions. And for the fringes, the identical Marathon Antenna has a built in amplifier rather than the inline amp.

And from Winegard, the outdoor Flatwave Air and Elite antennas may be worthy of consideration, but they may be more directional rather than omnidirectional.

But that Televes Dinova Boss antenna has good reviews with the smart amplifier, and the new version improves VHF reception with the added dipoles.

I actually tried the UFO antenna and it didn’t pick up hardly anything for me at all. It might have been a defective model though because switching the “amp” on and off didn’t seem to have any effect on strength numbers at all as measure by the HDHomeRun and the Signal GH app.

I’m really anxious to test the Dinova Boss antenna. I know the UHF on it is directional so I would have to use multiple antennas but if the BOSS works as claimed it might be worth it.
post #11673 of 12691 Old 02-25-2019, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
I have an slightly older Channel Master bow tie type 4 bay (all in a single line with a single mesh screen). It picks up WTVI great and is aimed toward WBTV, WJZY, and WCNC. I get a whopper of a signal on WBTV about 95 on the TiVo Premiere meter. WSOC which is a lot closer is only about 75 and I believe WCCB is 80-83. WTVI is strong too around 90 which is a surprise considering it's on VHF (The Channel Master is UHF ONLY) even though it's only a little further away from me than WSOC and WCCB.

I'm on the fence about getting the Roamio I don't need 4 tuners especially if they load down the available signal from the antenna. The extra storage would be nice but the big thing would be not having to pay for the guide service anymore, that's the big issue for me.

Mike

ROAMIO ORDERED SHOULD BE HERE 3/1/19.
I hope you like the Roamio. I do think it has a snappier interface versus the Premiere, as well as built in wi-fi, and of course more storage space for recording. Also, the price (with guide included) is a much better deal versus what Tivo wanted for the Premiere years ago (with guide included). And I also think the built in tuners are at least as good as the Premieres.

But if you intend to use the Roamio off a single antenna while also having other (multiple TVs) in the house hooked up to the same antenna, you may want to experiment with the type of amplifier you are using. Depending on your total number of devices - the reception can sometimes suffer if there are too many splits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11674 of 12691 Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I hope you like the Roamio. I do think it has a snappier interface versus the Premiere, as well as built in wi-fi, and of course more storage space for recording. Also, the price (with guide included) is a much better deal versus what Tivo wanted for the Premiere years ago (with guide included). And I also think the built in tuners are at least as good as the Premieres.

But if you intend to use the Roamio off a single antenna while also having other (multiple TVs) in the house hooked up to the same antenna, you may want to experiment with the type of amplifier you are using. Depending on your total number of devices - the reception can sometimes suffer if there are too many splits.
Right now there is only one split and no amplifier. I have lost WHKY and Cozi. I haven't had them reliably since last spring. It might be time to redo the whole antenna system. I tried an amp once and didn't see much improvement. Then it got wet. It was in the crawl space near the mast but obviously not far enough out of the weather. Lesson learned!
post #11675 of 12691 Old 02-26-2019, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I actually tried the UFO antenna and it didn’t pick up hardly anything for me at all. It might have been a defective model though because switching the “amp” on and off didn’t seem to have any effect on strength numbers at all as measure by the HDHomeRun and the Signal GH app.

I’m really anxious to test the Dinova Boss antenna. I know the UHF on it is directional so I would have to use multiple antennas but if the BOSS works as claimed it might be worth it.
If you are going to use multiple antennas I just did two of the Channel Master Ultra antenna 60 antennas for a friend in Mount Pleasant. I combined them with a backwards 2-way and then it hits a pre-amp (CM-7777HD) to the TV's. Receiving all the Charlotte and Greensboro towers.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11676 of 12691 Old 02-26-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Right now there is only one split and no amplifier. I have lost WHKY and Cozi. I haven't had them reliably since last spring. It might be time to redo the whole antenna system. I tried an amp once and didn't see much improvement. Then it got wet. It was in the crawl space near the mast but obviously not far enough out of the weather. Lesson learned!
That's good that you only have one split...especially since you are not currently using any amplifier. When you hook up your Roamio, I would run the signal meter to see what kind of numbers you are getting with your current single split. If it happens to be lower than your current readings, you could try taking your split off - just using the antenna (with no split) directly into the Roamio and compare those numbers. I always like to try a few 'tests' just to see where things are.

Just from my own experience, I have found that nothing seems to do quite as good as a single antenna into a single TV (into the native TV's tuner). But when using any DVR(s) balanced out with the proper amplification, it appears the reception can come close. I currently have a single split serving two TVs (both with Tivos); along with a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier.

Unlike the Premiere, do be aware (with the Roamio) that the signal meter seems to 'dumb down' , (so to speak), the 'high' signal reading number (in probably the majority of cases) to 72 percent whereas the Premiere may show a reading greater than that. But that really is of 'no' consequence in terms of your reception. I just mention this so you are aware of it, if you run the signal meter on your new Roamio.

It's just the way the Roamio processes the incoming signals into its 4 tuner box versus the way the Premiere measures these same signals going into its two tuner box. But once the true signal strength numbers (as measured by Tivo) fall below 72 percent, the measurements I've seen on both my own Premiere and Roamio typically appear to be the same. For example, with a weaker signal, my Premiere might only measure 50 percent while the Roamio (under those same circumstances) should also measure at least 50 percent, if not slightly more than the Premiere.
post #11677 of 12691 Old 02-26-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot about that but he is right.. typically 72 is as high a signal as you will see on the Roamio.
post #11678 of 12691 Old 02-26-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I forgot about that but he is right.. typically 72 is as high a signal as you will see on the Roamio.
Roamio signal meter lower than the Premiere. Always got WBTV at 95 or 96 on Premiere but 72 on Roamio. Don't have the Roamio hooked up yet at my new residence.
W4DXL likes this.
post #11679 of 12691 Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Roamio signal meter lower than the Premiere. Always got WBTV at 95 or 96 on Premiere but 72 on Roamio. Don't have the Roamio hooked up yet at my new residence.
Thanks for the tips guys. Being an Amateur Radio Operator I know meters can vary and are somewhat relative. I'll judge more by picture and audio breakup if any.

I notice my bedroom TV can get Cozi, WNSC, and WHKY. I can't get those on the Premiere. We'll see what the Roamio can do. It might be time to do some work on the antenna system!
post #11680 of 12691 Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys. Being an Amateur Radio Operator I know meters can vary and are somewhat relative. I'll judge more by picture and audio breakup if any.

I notice my bedroom TV can get Cozi, WNSC, and WHKY. I can't get those on the Premiere. We'll see what the Roamio can do. It might be time to do some work on the antenna system!
WNSC's power level and coverage map is changing signifigantly due to the repack in August, so if you get it now you likely will receive it better then. They're pushing more signal to the west to help bridge the gap in coverage created when they combined the Greenville/Spartanburg stations onto one tower.
W4DXL likes this.
post #11681 of 12691 Old 02-27-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WNSC's power level and coverage map is changing signifigantly due to the repack in August, so if you get it now you likely will receive it better then. They're pushing more signal to the west to help bridge the gap in coverage created when they combined the Greenville/Spartanburg stations onto one tower.
And SCETV will increase power on Greenville signal when moving from 9 to 8 wider coverage area.
post #11682 of 12691 Old 03-01-2019, 08:22 PM

New Roamio looks like a keeper, doing about as well as the Premier was except for WTVI. It had some drop outs but it might have been the weather. Signal levels were exactly what others said they would be. None in the 90's but the same amount a solid viewable signals. I think it will work out but some antenna improvements would probably be a good idea.

Thanks for all the input!

Mike
post #11683 of 12691 Old 03-02-2019, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
New Roamio looks like a keeper, doing about as well as the Premier was except for WTVI. It had some drop outs but it might have been the weather. Signal levels were exactly what others said they would be. None in the 90's but the same amount a solid viewable signals. I think it will work out but some antenna improvements would probably be a good idea.

Thanks for all the input!

Mike
Glad to hear the Roamio is working out for you. I am happy with my Roamio, although I will say you just have to be careful about the number of splits at the antenna. My Roamio works fine with my two way antenna split and a Winegard Boost XT 20dB Pre-Amp (LNA-200).

But when my step father tried a Roamio, he already had his antenna signal split four ways (for four separate TVs in his house). And while he uses the same type of pre-amp that I've got, his reception took a nose dive on the TV set in which he tried a Roamio.

However, I explained to him that he's already got a 4 way split off the antenna, and then his TV (the one in which he tried a Roamio) was now essentially taking another hit, given the fact that the Roamio itself has multiple tuners. But he didn't want to experiment with more amplification, or less splits off his antenna, so he just went back to (not using) any DVR.

But, again, I like my Roamio; and the tuner appears to perform just as well as the Premiere. And in my situation (two way split off my antenna) with my pre-amp, the reception loss appears to be very minimal versus the reception I would have with the coax going straight into my TV.
post #11684 of 12691 Old 03-03-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 58
"But when my step father tried a Roamio, he already had his antenna signal split four ways (for four separate TVs in his house). And while he uses the same type of pre-amp that I've got, his reception took a nose dive on the TV set in which he tried a Roamio."

That unit has basically has a 4-way splitter internally so effectively it is like having 7-TV's hooked up. An amplifier with with built in splitter (4-way) would be ideal. You also need to over come cable loss and splitter loss with OTA signals the same you would CATV signals. Some folks with long cable runs and splits along the way need to take that in consideration with OTA.
evan237 likes this.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11685 of 12691 Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
"That unit has basically has a 4-way splitter internally so effectively it is like having 7-TV's hooked up. An amplifier with with built in splitter (4-way) would be ideal. You also need to over come cable loss and splitter loss with OTA signals the same you would CATV signals. Some folks with long cable runs and splits along the way need to take that in consideration with OTA.
It sounds like what you are saying is another amplifier right at the Roamio (in addition to the LNA200 or other pre-amp at the antenna itself) to accommodate the additional 4 way split for the 4 tuners inside the Roamio box itself. And this would make sense, because as you said, it is effectively like having 7 TVs hooked up in this scenario.

I like the Roamio for its built-in wi-fi, additional hard drive storage, snappier interface, etc., versus the Premiere. But I prefer the Premiere's 2 tuners over the Roamio's 4 tuners for this very reason. Fortunately, I am not having an issue with my Roamio; but my step-father certainly did (in a big way) for the reasons discussed.
post #11686 of 12691 Old 03-04-2019, 08:01 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Good for a laugh but kinda sad because some potential cord-cutters will probably fall for this. Other than 3-prong plug and coax connector instead of 2-prong and twin-lead, this is the same worthless gizmo that has popped up occasionally since the 1950s. And, it has now has grossly wilder claims. Just plug it in and it will "Convert your hidden house wiring into a giant superpower TV antenna thousands of feet long! Super power! Experts say government intervention is likely to limit the release of the product due to its potent effects on Big Cable Companies."

https://www.getlivewaveantenna.com/

Explore the site and you'll see claims that it will "Get 100 Local And Up To 800 Premium Channels For FREE!"

My poor attic antenna with pre-amp can't get a single premium channel, darn it!
post #11687 of 12691 Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Good for a laugh but kinda sad because some potential cord-cutters will probably fall for this. Other than 3-prong plug and coax connector instead of 2-prong and twin-lead, this is the same worthless gizmo that has popped up occasionally since the 1950s. And, it has now has grossly wilder claims. Just plug it in and it will "Convert your hidden house wiring into a giant superpower TV antenna thousands of feet long! Super power! Experts say government intervention is likely to limit the release of the product due to its potent effects on Big Cable Companies."

Explore the site and you'll see claims that it will "Get 100 Local And Up To 800 Premium Channels For FREE!"

I'm 57 and remember around age 7 or so..my uncle getting a POS antenna like this..it's didn't work then either..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #11688 of 12691 Old 03-04-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I'm 57 and remember around age 7 or so..my uncle getting a POS antenna like this..it's didn't work then either..
You an take a thin wire coat hanger, straighten it out, bend a right angle 3-4 inches from the end, stick the short end into the coax input of the TV & get more stations than those gadgets.
post #11689 of 12691 Old 03-05-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I remember those superpower antennas but it seem like the electrical wiring would create noise and interference, especially for VHF. But they also sell an amp to boost the signal.
post #11690 of 12691 Old 03-05-2019, 06:00 AM

A fool and his money... Are there even 800 premium channels? Yes I'm old enough to remember this scheme before too. How do these people sleep at night?
post #11691 of 12691 Old 03-05-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
You an take a thin wire coat hanger, straighten it out, bend a right angle 3-4 inches from the end, stick the short end into the coax input of the TV & get more stations than those gadgets.
9/11/01 we had a TV set at work but no antenna. I knew just what to do. Paper clip in the coax input gave us a good picture. ahh the analog days!
post #11692 of 12691 Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not so different versus companies that sell antennas with the claim that they pick up channels 150 miles away...lol. Of course, we know that ‘could’ happen during some weird tropospheric ducting – but certainly not the norm for OTA. But some poor unsuspecting individuals that don't know any better might buy into that stuff thinking they are going to get lots of extra channels.
W4DXL likes this.
post #11693 of 12691 Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Not so different versus companies that sell antennas with the claim that they pick up channels 150 miles away...lol. Of course, we know that ‘could’ happen during some weird tropospheric ducting – but certainly not the norm for OTA. But some poor unsuspecting individuals that don't know any better might buy into that stuff thinking they are going to get lots of extra channels.
Naturally you can pick up all kinds of channels with a very simple antenna if it's 200 feet in the air and in the clear.

I remember when we first moved to Charlotte and lived near the University area. That was a good place for all kinds of TV signals. We could get WFMY, WSPA, WLOS, and occasionally WIS or WXII. When I moved to the east side of town it was like a black hole. I can get WFMY if I turn the antenna but right now I have it locked in just the right place for the Charlotte stations.
post #11694 of 12691 Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Scam

Quote:
I guess the joke is on anyone that would buy these antennas! You know you have to get an "HD Digital" Antenna don't you?????
W4DXL likes this.

Tom
post #11695 of 12691 Old 03-06-2019, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
You know you have to get an "HD Digital" Antenna don't you?????
Yes Sir!
W4DXL likes this.
post #11696 of 12691 Old 03-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Wink

Quote:
Naturally you can pick up all kinds of channels with a very simple antenna if it's 200 feet in the air and in the clear.
Gee anyone we know who can do that?
bdfox18doe, ybsane and W4DXL like this.
post #11697 of 12691 Old 03-08-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not getting WSOC translator Crowders Mtn. this morning. Off the air? No signal 9.9.
post #11698 of 12691 Old 03-08-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Kathie Lee Gifford broadcast in Charleston this morning with Al Roker but Hoda stay in New York. A few more weeks and KLG retire from morning TV again. Also Whoopie Goldberg still recuperate from pneumonia but doing better. And Wendy Williams back after leave of absence.
post #11699 of 12691 Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Kathie Lee Gifford broadcast in Charleston this morning with Al Roker but Hoda stay in New York. A few more weeks and KLG retire from morning TV again. Also Whoopie Goldberg still recuperate from pneumonia but doing better. And Wendy Williams back after leave of absence.
Can we please keep this forum focused on the discussion of OTA reception and equipment and not on useless gossip that belongs on the bottom of a bird cage and has nothing to do with broadcasting.
bill875 and A J like this.
post #11700 of 12691 Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
Can we please keep this forum focused on the discussion of OTA reception and equipment and not on useless gossip that belongs on the bottom of a bird cage and has nothing to do with broadcasting.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page