Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 392 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 525Likes

post #11731 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 05:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
When conditions are good, this is what I pull in. When they are bad I tend to lose WYFF and WOLO

WBTV
WSPA
WSOC
14 and all subs
WCCB
ETV 30
WOLO
WCEE
WLOS

WYFF
WCNC
41 and all subs
WTVI
WJZY
WGHP
WXLV
WMYT
UNC58
WYCW
WAXN
WACH
Are you on the southwest side of the building? No WFMY, no WXII? WXII is a tough one, they must be way on the other side of town. It would be interesting to see the news from the other markets but I guess we can do that via the internet these days in a lot of places.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Lots of great stories over the past few days about Raycom entering their final ACC Tournament today. It's definitely the end of an era. I can remember the "good old days" when schools had cable and if you were good the teacher would reward the class by turning on the ACC Tournament or the NCAA Tournament in the afternoons. I'm sure a lot of Raycom's resources will be tied up producing games for the ACC Network for ESPN but maybe this will open the door for some of the smaller conferences to get games on TV. I know the Southern Conference has really been fun to watch on Nexstar this year. Hopefully others will jump on the bandwagon.
W4DXL likes this.
post #11733 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am on the SW corner and the building blocks other markets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	2537840  
W4DXL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11734 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I am on the SW corner and the building blocks other markets.
This might be the dumbest question ever: Since you're at that height have you ever had a problem with lightning strikes?
post #11735 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
This might be the dumbest question ever: Since you're at that height have you ever had a problem with lightning strikes?
No, hopefully never. The building itself is covered in lightning rods on the roof. We have had some very close strikes. When I lived in Matthews a tree in my backyard got stuck. Killed the tree, my modem, router and cordless phones.
post #11736 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Lots of great stories over the past few days about Raycom entering their final ACC Tournament today. It's definitely the end of an era. I can remember the "good old days" when schools had cable and if you were good the teacher would reward the class by turning on the ACC Tournament or the NCAA Tournament in the afternoons. I'm sure a lot of Raycom's resources will be tied up producing games for the ACC Network for ESPN but maybe this will open the door for some of the smaller conferences to get games on TV. I know the Southern Conference has really been fun to watch on Nexstar this year. Hopefully others will jump on the bandwagon.
End of an era as ACC basketball will no longer be televised OTA. Always a legacy broadcast on WBTV, WRAL, and WFMY. Originated by C.D. Chesley, Jeferson-Pilot, and Raycom. Now moving exclusively to ESPN. Very sad to see them do this. I remember the old "Sail with the Pilot" commercials and commentators Jim Thacker and later Paul Cameron. Good article in Monday Charlotte Observer sports section. Sorry to see this major change occur.
post #11737 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I used to have an outdoor Yagi style antenna (the Winegard 9095P). It was highly directional but performed well for fringe stations. Never tried the HDB91X, but I know know its had positive reviews for a number of years. And specs seem to suggest that the HDB91X has a wider beam width versus my old Winegard 9095P.
The yagi style antennas have very good gain for deep fringe reception. The HDB91X is sold by Solid Signal and also Stellar Labs version. And the original version 91XG from Antennas Direct, but a bit more expensive.

I still have old Channel Master 4248 Diamond Quantum Yagi from my old residence, but i am not using it currently. But it performed very well. And I understand those triple boom yagis from Televes and Stellar Labs also work well.

But apparently the Winegard versions 9095P and 9032 are no longer manufactured, along with the old Channel Master models. Right now I am using the new version Channel Master 4228HD 8bay model with good results. But I am working on antenna placement to pull in WCCB and WSOC in the attic.
post #11738 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The yagi style antennas have very good gain for deep fringe reception. The HDB91X is sold by Solid Signal and also Stellar Labs version. And the original version 91XG from Antennas Direct, but a bit more expensive.

I still have old Channel Master 4248 Diamond Quantum Yagi from my old residence, but i am not using it currently. But it performed very well. And I understand those triple boom yagis from Televes and Stellar Labs also work well.

But apparently the Winegard versions 9095P and 9032 are no longer manufactured, along with the old Channel Master models. Right now I am using the new version Channel Master 4228HD 8bay model with good results. But I am working on antenna placement to pull in WCCB and WSOC in the attic.
It would be interesting if there was a test/direct comparison between the Channel Master 4228HD 8 bay versus the Antennas Direct DB8e under the exact same placement and other conditions. I've never used or tested a CM4228, only the DB8e.

Last edited by evan237; 03-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #11739 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you on the southwest side of the building? No WFMY, no WXII? WXII is a tough one, they must be way on the other side of town. It would be interesting to see the news from the other markets but I guess we can do that via the internet these days in a lot of places.
WXII Winston-Salem is located on Sauratown Mtn north of Winston in Stokes County. The Greensboro stations WFMY, WGHP, WXLV, AND WMVY are south of GSO in Randolph County. WXII would be very tough for him to receive because its farther away; and his building would be blocking that direction to the N to NE even with his height. Interesting though that he gets WGHP and WXLV... but no WFMY.
post #11740 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 04:28 PM

Did a rescan. Getting WFMY tonight.
W4DXL likes this.
post #11741 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Excellent
post #11742 of 12877 Old 03-12-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Bounce Shot..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #11743 of 12877 Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
It would be interesting if there was a test/direct comparison between the Channel Master 4228HD 8 bay versus the Antennas Direct DB8e under the exact same placement and other conditions. I've never used or tested a CM4228, only the DB8e.
I did with the Stellar Labs Bowtie (dual quad bay) and the antennas direct db8e, I kept the Stellar Labs antenna if that helps, especially for the price.
W4DXL likes this.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11744 of 12877 Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
I did with the Stellar Labs Bowtie (dual quad bay) and the antennas direct db8e, I kept the Stellar Labs antenna if that helps, especially for the price.
I see what you mean about the price! Also, noted that Stellar Labs Bowtie claims a total gain (when both panels are pointed in one direction) of 25dB whereas Antennas Direct (with the DB8e) appears to claim 17.4dB gain when both sections are facing one direction. Seems like a big difference in total gain.

Sometimes we know it can be marketing hype, but do those claims appear (at least somewhat accurate) based on your testing? Thanks.
post #11745 of 12877 Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I see what you mean about the price! Also, noted that Stellar Labs Bowtie claims a total gain (when both panels are pointed in one direction) of 25dB whereas Antennas Direct (with the DB8e) appears to claim 17.4dB gain when both sections are facing one direction. Seems like a big difference in total gain.

Sometimes we know it can be marketing hype, but do those claims appear (at least somewhat accurate) based on your testing? Thanks.
One interesting thing I can share (just comparing the DB8e to the Clearstream 4V), I've tested both of these (in my former home and now current house - which is roughly 12 miles away from the old home). And in both instances (in the attic only - not outdoors), the Clearstream 4V has out performed the DB8E for the same fringe stations in a single direction.

This has been the case with multiple placements with both of these antennas in the attics - and of course avoiding obstructions in both attics (i.e. heating and air ductwork, etc.) And also having both panels on the DB8e facing one direction for the same fringe stations just like the Clearstream 4V.

Although I have some theories, I still don't quite understand this experience of mine as I've always wanted to believe that a larger surface area should be more effective for stations 50-60 miles out. And so I've been curious about other antennas that are of similar size to the Antennas Direct DB8e.
post #11746 of 12877 Old 03-14-2019, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

The gain was mo where near 25db but the overall difference between the two was 6dbmv worth of gain of the Stellar Labs. Also note I did not use either of their wires or splitter/combiners since they are not of any quality therefore I used my own.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11747 of 12877 Old 03-14-2019, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
The gain was mo where near 25db but the overall difference between the two was 6dbmv worth of gain of the Stellar Labs. Also note I did not use either of their wires or splitter/combiners since they are not of any quality therefore I used my own.

Yes.. but you still have boxes of the real good stuff in your garage..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #11748 of 12877 Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 PM

Allow me to get off the reception topic for just a sec. Why do people buy streaming packages after becoming a cord cutter? I don't miss any of the cable channels. Why jump into monthly fees again?

I'm happily enjoying (mostly) free TV again (with the addition of Netflix and Amazon Prime).
post #11749 of 12877 Old 03-14-2019, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea, I thought 25db sounded a bit far fetched. But what you described is interesting in comparing the performance of the DB8e versus the Stellar Labs.
post #11750 of 12877 Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Allow me to get off the reception topic for just a sec. Why do people buy streaming packages after becoming a cord cutter? I don't miss any of the cable channels. Why jump into monthly fees again?

I'm happily enjoying (mostly) free TV again (with the addition of Netflix and Amazon Prime).
I think some people just can't unhook themselves from their favorite pay channels. So they pay for a streaming service after ditching a cable company, like Spectrum, or a satellite provider. And to be fair, I think (generally speaking), the streaming providers are still less expensive versus traditional cable or satellite because there's no set-top box rentals. Also, there's a little competition between the various streaming providers. I say a little - because I don't see a big price difference with any of them...although Sling TV is still on the lower side.

But I agree with you, I don't miss the cable channels; and I certainly don't miss Spectrum's ever increasing fees year over year for paid TV! They charge enough for internet....let alone their TV packages. Luckily (for internet), I was able to switch to a local co-op in my area that has fiber optic. So I happily switched internet providers when I bought my new home 1 1/2 years ago.

Like you, I enjoy mostly free TV with the addition of Netflix and Amazon Prime. It's all I need
W4DXL likes this.
post #11751 of 12877 Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:

I'm not local, but my story is this: I'd had no cable until moving to Alexandria, VA in 2013, when the price of Verizon FiOS with TV was cheaper than without. I got a CableCARD and an HDHR Prime to use it with, and was able to hang onto promotional pricing for 5 years, but it definitely crept up over time. Barely used the TV service.

But my wife and I had been wanting to watch Good Eats for a while, and it's nearly impossible to find streaming. It is on Cooking Channel, which was not in my promotional FiOS package, but I discovered it was on Philo, which has a DVR and costs $20/month for the package with Cooking Channel. So now I'm paying less for FiOS Internet and Philo than I was for FiOS Internet/TV, and we're actually using it a lot instead of barely. And I'm pretty sure I can just disable the account when I don't want to pay for it.

- Trip
W4DXL likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11752 of 12877 Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Let me quickly add that if there were series like AMC's "Mad Men", "Halt and Catch Fire", and BBC America's "Orphan Black" I'd still have a reason to subscribe.
hamstang likes this.
post #11753 of 12877 Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
AMC and BBC America are on Philo in the $16/mo package. If you want those channels, of course...

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #11754 of 12877 Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
AMC and BBC America are on Philo in the $16/mo package. If you want those channels, of course...- Trip
I see Philo is offering 44 channels for $16 month. It's actually not a bad price as streaming providers are concerned!

Of course, any deal can only be considered a 'good deal' *if* the viewer is actually going to take the time to watch the channels...and many channels are often seen at 'filler' channels that are not very appealing nor watched. But Philo's channel lineup does include some good channels such as AMC, Sundance, BBC America, and Animal Planet.

I suppose they are less expensive than a number of streaming providers because they don't offer sports networks, and of course they don't provide locals. All of these things drive up the costs of more expensive streaming packages, such as DirectTV Now, and similar ones. And let's not forget networks such as Fox News - which only appears to be available on streaming packages that are more than double the base price of Philo.

Personally, I am not a big spectator sports fan except for things like the Super Bowl, so I can live without the Sports Networks. And since I read much of my news online, I don't require 24/7 news channels. I am content with my locals, Netflix, and Amazon Prime and it keeps my viewing world simple - not to mention that I own my own DVRs.

But it all comes back to viewer preferences and what someone is willing to pay (or not pay).
post #11755 of 12877 Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Awful Announcing did a little history of Raycom. I didn't realize they had such an extensive history. I was personally introduced to Raycom when Boston College joined the conference. WSBK Boston (now My38) started carrying some Raycom content. You may recognize that station as a "superstation" that used to be available to many people nationwide. Not until I moved to NC in 2010 for a few years did I realize that Raycom had many more games, sometimes two at once! And in NC (and VA and beyond) it goes on major networks and the major shows get moved in many markets. This was fascinating to me.

When I returned to the cold north, I was glad to see all of the Raycom content came available on ESPN alternate channels on the Directv sports pack. I got the Directv sports pack to get out of market RSNs like NESN when I lived in NC and kept it when I moved back to keep the Raycom content on FS South that we don't always get in New England. When Syracuse joined, I noticed some Raycom content on my true-local WPTZ Plattsburgh, NY's MeTV subchannel. Last year, they made their sister channel a full time CW affiliate (we are a little behind in the Burlington, VT market) and put Raycom content on that channel, WNNE Montpelier, VT, so we had 1 year of HD Raycom, lol.

Here is the article... https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/an-...om-sports.html
post #11756 of 12877 Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
GE-29884 works great for VHF, but it comes down to height, height, and height. I was getting 15-16dB on WLOS, went 10 feet higher, got solid 20-22 year round. Pre-amp is a MUST. I've never even see a whisper of WVEB on my scans.[/QUOTE]

I get WVEB in Kings Mountain using a DB8E with a preamp. WLOS comes and goes depening on the weather.
post #11757 of 12877 Old 03-21-2019, 07:00 AM

Just for fun since we are talking about antenna height does anyone know the maximum height allowed for a TV antenna in the city of Charlotte that is not governed by an HOA? Is it 30 feet? 40 feet? can you go higher if you obtain a permit? I'm not going to do it but just wondering what the local ordinance is.
post #11758 of 12877 Old 03-29-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Today is last day for Chris Larson on WBTV. They had farewell on morning show. Apparently he going to Reno Nevada. Sorry to see him go he was good personality for features on morning show, weather and traffic. Perhaps unrelated, but since Gray took over all the good talent seems to be leaving with Paul Cameron and Delano. But he may have good opportunity in Reno but still sorry to see him go.
post #11759 of 12877 Old 03-29-2019, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Just for fun since we are talking about antenna height does anyone know the maximum height allowed for a TV antenna in the city of Charlotte that is not governed by an HOA? Is it 30 feet? 40 feet? can you go higher if you obtain a permit? I'm not going to do it but just wondering what the local ordinance is.
I would think with the name, you have a 'Ham' license. Call it a Ham antenna. That would then be the limit. Also HOA's have problems with this. You can quote the federal laws to them. Had to do this for my son in SC several years ago. They were not very happy when our FCC attorney sent them a letter. They have now removed the TV and Sat antenna, from the things you can not have on you house. Flags are still there.

Tom
post #11760 of 12877 Old 03-31-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last day WSOC may be drop by Dish Network. Time to have antenna ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page