Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 776Likes

post #11911 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
WCCB is actually running 6 channels..and has been for some time now. I’m just not passing -6 thru the mux to air.

Secrets, secrets. Wonder what lurks on 18.6 lol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You would think that Sony would broadcast GetTv in 16:9 format. Wanted to watch The Unit, but doesn't cut it in 4:3.
post #11913 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Secrets, secrets. Wonder what lurks on 18.6 lol?

Oh, Mr. Holmes, I would love to tell you, but then, of course, I'd have to kill you. Equiring Minds Want To Know...Time Will Reveal All Truths...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11914 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Oh, Mr. Holmes, I would love to tell you, but then, of course, I'd have to kill you. Equiring Minds Want To Know...Time Will Reveal All Truths...

Cat cam!
post #11915 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The video quality is good on WCCB with the 5 channels. Hope they don't add any more. WSOC look good with 2 HD channels on 9.1 and 9.2. But WJZY has too much going on, and some of the subchannels don't look as good. Wish they would drop a few. I can always watch Jimmy Swaggart on WGGS. I would keep the H&I and the Ion, and the 2 HD channels and be done with it. Somebody else pick up the Movies and Jimmy Swaggart.
WJZY is Fox O&O, so Movies! will never leave it, at least I hope not... I love those old movies, and the ones dated 1953 or later are in widescreen. Ion is just another StartTV, except that Ion is not focused on female lead characters. I’ve got no use for either one, personally, except that I watch David Jeremiah at 7AM Sundays on Ion. Since SBN is solid revenue, it is likely here to stay too. Buzzr and Light are pretty good, and H&I is just OK... So H&I and Ion would actually be the ones I would miss the least...
post #11916 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
You would think that Sony would broadcast GetTv in 16:9 format. Wanted to watch The Unit, but doesn't cut it in 4:3.
GetTV is my co-favorite sub-channel along with Decades. But the shows I love on it happen to be 4:3 any way. Still and yes, you have a valid point.
post #11917 of 13546 Old 05-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Pretty funny that the Decades program grid list is back on 36.3. Since May 1, the CourtTV promo loop has been running, and the grid said that, at first. But now that the Decades program guide is back on, my many Decades programs think they are recording again, but I am getting nothing but segments of the CourtTV loop.🤮
post #11918 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
WJZY is Fox O&O, so Movies! will never leave it, at least I hope not... I love those old movies, and the ones dated 1953 or later are in widescreen. Ion is just another StartTV, except that Ion is not focused on female lead characters. I’ve got no use for either one, personally, except that I watch David Jeremiah at 7AM Sundays on Ion. Since SBN is solid revenue, it is likely here to stay too. Buzzr and Light are pretty good, and H&I is just OK... So H&I and Ion would actually be the ones I would miss the least...
I guess Jimmy Swaggart sell enough of those Bibles to pay the bills. And I do enjoy the gospel music and preaching. I know the modern style ministry such as Elevation is popular now, but I still prefer the traditional style such as Swaggart, Bill Gaither, and the old Jim and Tammy. But I just think they got too many channels on WJZY for them all to look good. But the 2 HD channels look decent to the average person.
post #11919 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I guess Jimmy Swaggart sell enough of those Bibles to pay the bills. And I do enjoy the gospel music and preaching. I know the modern style ministry such as Elevation is popular now, but I still prefer the traditional style such as Swaggart, Bill Gaither, and the old Jim and Tammy. But I just think they got too many channels on WJZY for them all to look good. But the 2 HD channels look decent to the average person.
Selling bibles, CDs, and from donations. I agree on the worship - flashing lights and ear-shattering music don’t do it for me.

As to the picture quality, think of it as a time to reminisce about your childhood of rabbit ears🐇, UHF antenna loops, and “interference” on windy days. WCCB (in those days) would allow you to see every program twice due to all the ghost 👻 images in the reception.

post #11920 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
WCCB is actually running 6 channels..and has been for some time now. I’m just not passing -6 thru the mux to air.
Wonderful news for me, since I prefer more channels, even if reception degrades slightly on the SD channels.

But I’ll keep my barf bag handy, just in case it’s QVC2 or HSN. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

post #11921 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May a mere layman ask a question of you mighty technicians? Is there any difference in a multi-directional antenna and a rotary antenna. We have a stationary multi-directional antenna(about 30' high) and here on the north side of Hickory, we get around 30 to 40 channels depending on atmospherics. Would we do better using a rotor antenna? Also, does it make a difference that I had the installer hook it up to the old cable lines so we wouldn't have to run new?
post #11922 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Wonderful news for me, since I prefer more channels, even if reception degrades slightly on the SD channels.

But I’ll keep my barf bag handy, just in case it’s QVC2 or HSN. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Just another Guess maybe it Decades moving to 18.6
post #11923 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pretty funny that the Decades program grid list is back on 36.3. Since May 1, the CourtTV promo loop has been running, and the grid said that, at first. But now that the Decades program guide is back on, my many Decades programs think they are recording again, but I am getting nothing but segments of the CourtTV loop.🤮
CourtTV is to set to Lunched on May 8
post #11924 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As to the picture quality, think of it as a time to reminisce about your childhood of rabbit ears🐇, UHF antenna loops, and “interference” on windy days. WCCB (in those days) would allow you to see every program twice due to all the ghost 👻 images in the reception.

I grew up in the 70's with RotorTennas on the roof...we could see Charlotte, WSPA,WYFF-Greenville-Spartanburg and WLOS Asheville from Kings Mountain. Tho our Tv pretty much stayed fixed on W3Tv..My grandfather had an old Rambler station wagon..I could hear him come and go for about a mile radius due to the ignition noise in the sound and picture. And how fast he was going too..
As to PQ...I'd say that even some of the even overly compressed Dtv channels look as good as they did back then..Say with AntennaTv.. now with MeTv..where everything has been rescanned in HD..probably far better than original.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 05-07-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #11925 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I grew up in the 70's with RotorTennas on the roof...we could see Charlotte, WSPA,WYFF-Greenville-Spartanburg and WLOS Asheville from Kings Mountain. Tho our Tv pretty much stayed fixed on W3Tv..My grandfather had an old Rambler station wagon..I could hear him come and go for about a mile radius due to the ignition noise in the sound and picture. And how fast he was going too..
As to PQ...I'd say that even some of the even overly compressed Dtv channels look as good as they did back then..Say with AntennaTv.. now with MeTv..where everything has been rescanned in HD..probably far better than original.
Back then everybodys TV the dial was stuck on Channel 3. You learned as a child never change the dial or interrupt Betty Feezor, As the World Turns, Doug Mayes or Walter Cronkite. Don't upset mom and dad's programs or you would be in big trouble. I always liked Fred Kirby, Andy and Lucy reruns and Gospel Jubilee back then. Vestal had the big beehive hairdo. The other stations were not yet a contender until WSOC upped their game in the 80's, and Doug Mayes moved over to Channel 9.
post #11926 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 08:00 PM

The reminiscences from both of you are part of my memories as well. I also grew up in the 70s. But my earliest childhood memories are from the 60s, when our VHF-only 21-inch black and white TV was also glued to channel 3 most of the time. Then again there was only one other destination on the dial, and that was channel 9 which we occasionally watched. Then in 1968 (the year I turned six) we got our first color TV, and found out channels 18, 36, 42, and 58 existed. Later on, channel 7 would come in even with rabbit ears, which we had for most of the 70s. Occasionally you could even get 13, and later 21. Those good ole analog signals travelled far further than today’s digital signals, although of course the latter is of better quality. But on a windy day, any channels other than 3 and 9 came in with very inconsistent reception. Channel 3 carried CBS and channel 9 carried the best of both NBC and ABC, before just NBC, and later just ABC. From 1968 to 1978, we had a hard time seeing ABC on Channel 18 and starting in 1978 we had a hard time seeing NBC on channel 36. But within a few years, channel 36 seemed to increase it’s signal because NBC became much clearer. Channel 18 eventually did the same, because their independent programming and later their Fox programming was also clearer. But before those improvements, reception could be so bad that, in fact today’s SD channels are indeed far better, because they are at least consistent.
post #11927 of 13546 Old 05-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedamsel View Post
May a mere layman ask a question of you mighty technicians? Is there any difference in a multi-directional antenna and a rotary antenna. We have a stationary multi-directional antenna(about 30' high) and here on the north side of Hickory, we get around 30 to 40 channels depending on atmospherics. Would we do better using a rotor antenna? Also, does it make a difference that I had the installer hook it up to the old cable lines so we wouldn't have to run new?
It depends on your situation. If you are already (reliably) getting all the stations in your area, then there wouldn't be a need to make changes. You might want to go to:

https://antennaweb.org/

or

http://www.tvfool.com/

Type in your address to determine what is available in your area, versus what you are currently getting.

As to your question about wiring, it would depend on how old your wiring is and what conditions it has been subjected to (i.e. moisture, heat, etc.). If it is not the current standard (RG6 cable), then you definitely might want to think about replacing the wiring.

About the antenna, the whole idea behind a multi-directional antenna is so it doesn't need a rotor. But that might come at the expense of some signal loss in any single direction. This is more of an issue though if you are in a weaker reception area. In those cases, a more 'directional' antenna may be needed. Even in those cases - many people can successfully avoid rotors depending on where the broadcast towers are located.

For example, if you live in Hickory, and you are only trying to get the Charlotte networks (located in Dallas, NC and N. Charlotte), you might get very good results by simply aiming a stationary antenna in the middle between those two geographic locations.

Sometimes, though, rotors are necessary, especially for viewers who want to pick up 'multiple' points on the compass. Rotors can also be very useful when a viewer lives in a fringe area and needs an antenna with as much 'gain' as possible to pick up the signal(s).

In those scenarios, you'd probably need something better than a multi-directional antenna. A classic case of where someone might use a rotor would be when using a highly directional antenna, such as the Yagi style antenna. But given your location in Hickory, I would suspect you may not need a rotor.

The only remaining questions are, is your wiring adequate? Could you be getting any better results with another antenna (i.e. 4 bay antenna)? From your post - it sounds like your antenna is outside.

Hope this helps you in some way. No 'technician' here. Just someone who has played around with OTA for a number of years. Maybe others can chime in here if you have further questions.
post #11928 of 13546 Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I checked it last night and i advance it to Mid Night and it show CourtTV Launch info at Mid Night on the program grid.
post #11929 of 13546 Old 05-08-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 122
All this talk of the "stars" on WBTV: Betty Feezor, Fred Kirby, Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean, Arthur Smith, Tommy Faile brings back such vivid memories.

Actually, Channel 9/WSOC started making a move in the 1960s with Joey the Clown (Brooks Lindsay)/CLOWN CARNIVAL in the afternoons which for the first time challenged WBTV's afternoon ratings dominance. Bill Walker's 6 p.m. local newscast also began to overtake WBTV's Mayes.

We got our first color set (an Admiral 25" - HUGE) in 1966 in order to watch BATMAN in color. My dad was as big a fan of the show as my brother and I were. That's when we discovered channels 18, 36, et al, too, and got a rotor antenna in order to pull them in clearly. We also were able with that antenna to get Channel 4 in Greenville, Channel 7 in Spartanburg, Channel 10 in Columbia, and Channel 13 in Asheville though they were never as clear as the Charlotte stations. That's where we could watch NBC or ABC shows if WSOC was showing one or the other of their dual network arrangement or CBS shows on Monday night when WBTV was having their own movie night.

Good times!
post #11930 of 13546 Old 05-08-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
It depends on your situation. If you are already (reliably) getting all the stations in your area, then there wouldn't be a need to make changes. You might want to go to:

https://antennaweb.org/

or

http://www.tvfool.com/

Type in your address to determine what is available in your area, versus what you are currently getting.

As to your question about wiring, it would depend on how old your wiring is and what conditions it has been subjected to (i.e. moisture, heat, etc.). If it is not the current standard (RG6 cable), then you definitely might want to think about replacing the wiring.

About the antenna, the whole idea behind a multi-directional antenna is so it doesn't need a rotor. But that might come at the expense of some signal loss in any single direction. This is more of an issue though if you are in a weaker reception area. In those cases, a more 'directional' antenna may be needed. Even in those cases - many people can successfully avoid rotors depending on where the broadcast towers are located.

For example, if you live in Hickory, and you are only trying to get the Charlotte networks (located in Dallas, NC and N. Charlotte), you might get very good results by simply aiming a stationary antenna in the middle between those two geographic locations.

Sometimes, though, rotors are necessary, especially for viewers who want to pick up 'multiple' points on the compass. Rotors can also be very useful when a viewer lives in a fringe area and needs an antenna with as much 'gain' as possible to pick up the signal(s).

In those scenarios, you'd probably need something better than a multi-directional antenna. A classic case of where someone might use a rotor would be when using a highly directional antenna, such as the Yagi style antenna. But given your location in Hickory, I would suspect you may not need a rotor.

The only remaining questions are, is your wiring adequate? Could you be getting any better results with another antenna (i.e. 4 bay antenna)? From your post - it sounds like your antenna is outside.

Hope this helps you in some way. No 'technician' here. Just someone who has played around with OTA for a number of years. Maybe others can chime in here if you have further questions.
I do wonder about the wiring. There's so much cable strung around the house I don't know what goes where. TVFool seems to think I should be getting more channels than I do but I have picked those up on occasion. Usually after a big storm.
post #11931 of 13546 Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedamsel View Post
I do wonder about the wiring. There's so much cable strung around the house I don't know what goes where. TVFool seems to think I should be getting more channels than I do but I have picked those up on occasion. Usually after a big storm.
Just plugging in a zip code in your area, it looks like you are almost 50 miles from the broadcast towers in NE Charlotte (WSOC and WCCB). So your ability to receive those stations (reliably) really boils down to how high (or low) the terrain is at your home, and what other obstructions you may have around you.

That said, I wouldn't think you'd have too much difficulty with WBTV, WCNC, and WJZY (to your S in Dallas, NC) and WUNE (PBS) (to your NW in Linville, NC) as they are all much closer to you. Of course, you've also got WHKY in your local area, which you should be able to easily pick up from about any location in your general area. And just using one of Hickory's zip codes - the 'general' suggestion appears to be a medium range directional antenna. Note: there are some good antennas that perform well in the direction aimed while simultaneously picking up other signal(s) off the backside.

You may want to consult with your cable guy if you are unsure about how to assess your wiring. And if he's hooked your outdoor antenna into a cable junction box outside your home, I'd make sure you don't have any more splits at the junction box than what you really need for the amount of receivers in your home.
post #11932 of 13546 Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yea, I see Court TV listings on my TIvo guide for 36.3 . It must have been some money thing that drove that. But I can't see how it would be by popular (viewer) demand. Imo, Decades is much better!
ybsane likes this.
post #11933 of 13546 Old 05-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Back then everybodys TV the dial was stuck on Channel 3. You learned as a child never change the dial or interrupt Betty Feezor, As the World Turns, Doug Mayes or Walter Cronkite. Don't upset mom and dad's programs or you would be in big trouble. I always liked Fred Kirby, Andy and Lucy reruns and Gospel Jubilee back then. Vestal had the big beehive hairdo. The other stations were not yet a contender until WSOC upped their game in the 80's, and Doug Mayes moved over to Channel 9.
Not growing up in the Charlotte viewing market, I cannot share too much nostalgia of the old analog days of the viewing market. However, we did live in North Wilkesboro NC from 1979-1981 during my early high school days. There was no cable TV and I remember feeling lucky that my dad bought a home in a sub-development on the top of a large hill just outside of town. This allowed us to get WBTV, WSOC, WXII, and WFMY with our roof-top antenna. Even then, using the rotor was critical at that distance to get decent reception. Now days (with digital TV), I can't imagine trying to pick up much OTA in more rural areas like that
post #11934 of 13546 Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Not growing up in the Charlotte viewing market, I cannot share too much nostalgia of the old analog days of the viewing market. However, we did live in North Wilkesboro NC from 1979-1981 during my early high school days. There was no cable TV and I remember feeling lucky that my dad bought a home in a sub-development on the top of a large hill just outside of town. This allowed us to get WBTV, WSOC, WXII, and WFMY with our roof-top antenna. Even then, using the rotor was critical at that distance to get decent reception. Now days (with digital TV), I can't imagine trying to pick up much OTA in more rural areas like that
You just picked up something critical that people with out rotors currently are overlooking. With old analog you can bump the rotor east or west to get the carrier to noise at the sweet spot for good picture quality. A lot of folks now are not making that same adjustment with digital and are putting the blame on a TV stations height and power output instead of old fashion trouble shooting and tweaking.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #11935 of 13546 Old 05-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
You just picked up something critical that people with out rotors currently are overlooking. With old analog you can bump the rotor east or west to get the carrier to noise at the sweet spot for good picture quality. A lot of folks now are not making that same adjustment with digital and are putting the blame on a TV stations height and power output instead of old fashion trouble shooting and tweaking.
I have an older 4 bay Channel Master bow tie/mesh antenna mounted outside with a rotor here on the east side of Charlotte. I found antenna aiming to be very critical. So much so in fact that once I got it in place for my two problem stations 46 and 55 I disconnected the control box and left the rotor in place. I hope go get the 8 bay antenna so I can aim it in two slightly different directions and maybe pick up WVEB and WHKY, might also try an amplifier.
ybsane likes this.
post #11936 of 13546 Old 05-09-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Well, I don’t want to do that. ..and I don’t want an ugly antenna on my roof. My neighbor has one and it looks horrendous. I want an antenna that hangs on the wall and looks like a picture frame. I have just the place to put it in the basement play room.... (actual viewer comments)....

Bob

post #11937 of 13546 Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I don’t want to do that. ..and I don’t want an ugly antenna on my roof. My neighbor has one and it looks horrendous. I want an antenna that hangs on the wall and looks like a picture frame. I have just the place to put it in the basement play room.... (actual viewer comments)....
They used to sell picture frame antennas at Radioshack and Antennas Direct. But I don't know if they work too good.
post #11938 of 13546 Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Tick... Tock...

post #11939 of 13546 Old 05-11-2019, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I think that would work fine with a pre-amp.
post #11940 of 13546 Old 05-11-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Yea, I see Court TV listings on my TIvo guide for 36.3 . It must have been some money thing that drove that. But I can't see how it would be by popular (viewer) demand. Imo, Decades is much better!
Now that the promo loop is over, CourtTV will be a good channel. But I agree with you that Decades is much better. I first became concerned a few months ago when Decades on 36.3 was dropped from Spectrum, where it had appeared on channel 1246 in the Charlotte area line-up. It took years for it to go into the cable line-up. Then after what seemed like a short while, it wasn’t replaced - it just disappeared - while Justice on 36.2 and Quest on 36.4 both remained in the cable 1200s with the other locals. That said to me that WCNC had begun to see Decades as the least favored of it’s subs, and sure enough, it wasn’t long before they got rid of it altogether...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page