Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 511Likes

post #12241 of 12700 Old 07-21-2019, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickorynut4u View Post
I live in Hickory. When W42DR-D was still active, I was able to capture WSOC-TV on 6.1 and 6.2 - could not get WSOC-TV off of main tower in Charlotte on 9.1 and 9.2 - Now that W42DR-D is history and W26FA-D is active, am I correct that the directional transmission pattern has been changed and basically no longer transmitting an eastward signal from Marion? That the pattern is only north, south and west of Marion. If so, then I need to seek a different way to receive WSOC-TV. Possibly trying a different antenna or moving to a location with more favorable terrain.

I haven't been able to get 6.1 and 18.7 in Morganton reliably since they worked on the tower. I'm not sure if the tower with the WCCB and WSOC translators is even operating at 100%. It was off and on for a while. WSOC Charlotte is also operating a reduced power now for the repack so it's hard to get too. We may just have to wait it out until everything pans out after September 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 12700 Old 07-21-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I live in Hickory. When W42DR-D was still active, I was able to capture WSOC-TV on 6.1 and 6.2 - could not get WSOC-TV off of main tower in Charlotte on 9.1 and 9.2 - Now that W42DR-D is history and W26FA-D is active, am I correct that the directional transmission pattern has been changed and basically no longer transmitting an eastward signal from Marion? That the pattern is only north, south and west of Marion. If so, then I need to seek a different way to receive WSOC-TV. Possibly trying a different antenna or moving to a location with more favorable terrain.
It sure seems that way but I assume it is to protect WJZY when it moves to 25. Here in Blowing Rock I definitely receive it on 26 better and more often than when it was on 42. Normally 42 would only come in when it rained.
post #12243 of 12700 Old 07-21-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
I haven't been able to get 6.1 and 18.7 in Morganton reliably since they worked on the tower. I'm not sure if the tower with the WCCB and WSOC translators is even operating at 100%. It was off and on for a while. WSOC Charlotte is also operating a reduced power now for the repack so it's hard to get too. We may just have to wait it out until everything pans out after September 6.
Maybe since they work on the main tower in Charlotte the translator signals may also be reduced. I see the scroll saying degraded signal due to FCC required changes to the main transmitting antenna. Somedays it seems the Shelby translator ls also weaker while the work being done. So I guess just be patient till all the changes finish in September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12244 of 12700 Old 07-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Hmm.. Maybe You're onto something there Evan..
I still don’t believe we have a clear answer on whether or not ratings impact a TV station’s profit margin on sub-channels. If a station broadcasts a pass through sub-channel, the ad sales people at the station obviously won’t be involved because all of the commercials are national. So, hypothetically, if that sub-channel has a certain number of viewers <or> has three times that number of viewers, does the bottom line differ between those two scenarios? If the answer to that is yes, then the fact that so many people on the forum want Decades would potentially make it more profitable for the station than a sub-channel with fewer viewers. However, if the answer is no, that causes me to infer that the station will make the same money from the pass through sub-channel whether no one watches it <or> whether it becomes the highest rated sub-channel in the Charlotte market.
post #12245 of 12700 Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I've had a TiVo Premiere since 2011 that is still chugging along as well. It still works great...well that is provided you don't try to navigate to other apps (i.e. Netflix, Amazon, etc.). The Premieres were never much good for moving in and out of those apps.

A couple of years ago, I found a really good buy on a Roamio (on sale) with the free guide for the life. It has a much snappier interface versus the Premiere (moving into other apps). But what I don't like about it is the 4 tuners. TiVo seems to promote these large number of tuners. But the thing is (in my opinion), it really isn't necessary to have that many tuners with an OTA DVR box and tends to weaken the signal strength without proper amplification. Pros and cons with everything I guess.

I agree with you though, TiVos are very simple to use, easy setup and a great TV guide view. But I do want to learn more about the Home Run, not for anything as involved as your friend's master control network, but more basic options like combining two Home Runs (servicing separate antennas) into a single network feed whereby I can combine the best of both antennas - facing different directions for separate markets. My house is hard wired (each room) for internet, so that part is easy.
You are so right about the Premiere and the other apps, way too slow to be of any real use. My Roamio OTA only has 2 tuners so maybe they got the message?
post #12246 of 12700 Old 07-21-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tried to put together my Solid Signal 8 bay bowtie antenna this weekend and discovered there were parts missing. The extender rods and one of the cables to the combiner were not in the box.

Also noticed that WSOC was dropping out today. I didn't check the signal level. I'm not far away so I rarely have any trouble receiving a good signal.
post #12247 of 12700 Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
W42DR-D is now W26FA-D as of about a month ago. The translator is licensed to Marion and - I believe - was owned by a station in the Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg and did transmit from Marion many years back. For at least a decade it has transmitted from Smith Mountain near Valdese - just east of Mineral Springs Mountain. About a month ago, it changed frequencies (channels) from channel 42 to channel 26. So, do a re-scan or manually "scan-in" channel 26.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #12248 of 12700 Old 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
W42DR-D is now W26FA-D as of about a month ago. The translator is licensed to Marion and - I believe - was owned by a station in the Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg and did transmit from Marion many years back. For at least a decade it has transmitted from Smith Mountain near Valdese - just east of Mineral Springs Mountain. About a month ago, it changed frequencies (channels) from channel 42 to channel 26. So, do a re-scan or manually "scan-in" channel 26.
I looked at rabbitears and looks like main WSOC signal will improve in Hickory after the repack to 19. May be better off getting a directional yagi or 8 bay and pointing to Charlotte. But that will be after September.
I've had better luck in Morganton aiming to Charlotte WSOC due to High Peak mountain blocking the signal from Smith Mountain.
post #12249 of 12700 Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
I looked at rabbitears and looks like main WSOC signal will improve in Hickory after the repack to 19. May be better off getting a directional yagi or 8 bay and pointing to Charlotte. But that will be after September.
I've had better luck in Morganton aiming to Charlotte WSOC due to High Peak mountain blocking the signal from Smith Mountain.
I think WSOC is still on the AUX antenna in Charlotte as most of the time I no longer receive the main signal, but WCCB still come in. I always get 34 when I get 27. But I do still get the translator on WSOC-30 until that changes. I guess main WSOC will be on the AUX antenna for 34 until the new 19 antenna is up and running. They are supposed to begin testing in August, but not change permanently until September.
post #12250 of 12700 Old 07-23-2019, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday Gayle King visit WBTV celebrate 70th anniversary.
post #12251 of 12700 Old 07-23-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I think WSOC is still on the AUX antenna in Charlotte as most of the time I no longer receive the main signal, but WCCB still come in. I always get 34 when I get 27. But I do still get the translator on WSOC-30 until that changes. I guess main WSOC will be on the AUX antenna for 34 until the new 19 antenna is up and running. They are supposed to begin testing in August, but not change permanently until September.
Hopefully Ted will chime into what he is actually doing, lot's of speculation of what my might be happening but what actually is another.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #12252 of 12700 Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Hopefully Ted will chime into what he is actually doing, lot's of speculation of what my might be happening but what actually is another.
He probably very busy and will update when he can. But I can tell somedays the main signal is reduced, but glad to still get the translator.
post #12253 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did Kristen Hampton leave WBTV on her own, or was she let go?
post #12254 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So the other half is complaining to me on her reception of channel 9. All of a sudden we are getting a lot of pixelation etc. We are down in ft mill, eastern side closer to 521. So I find on here you guys talking about channel 9 being switched to an aux tower? Looks like it's towards shelby, or the north west of where the main tower is. Should I go ahead and rotate my antenna to appease her, or just deal with it?

I guess I could rotate and see if I can't pull in the aux signal and keep the others in relative good reception.
post #12255 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul DiFrank View Post
So the other half is complaining to me on her reception of channel 9. All of a sudden we are getting a lot of pixelation etc. We are down in ft mill, eastern side closer to 521. So I find on here you guys talking about channel 9 being switched to an aux tower? Looks like it's towards shelby, or the north west of where the main tower is. Should I go ahead and rotate my antenna to appease her, or just deal with it?

I guess I could rotate and see if I can't pull in the aux signal and keep the others in relative good reception.
WSOC is on the AUX antenna as they upgrade their main antenna as required by the FCC repack. They will have a strong signal restored by September. I think the AUX antenna is on the main tower in Charlotte, and somedays it may be temporarily off the air as work is being done. There is a translator signal on Crowder's Mtn. in Gaston County if you want to try and pick up that signal in the interim, but you may have to rescan for channel 30 to tune it in.
post #12256 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Tagging onto what Tyler mentioned, my "guess" (with you being in Fort Mill) that if you are having signal problems with the main signal from NE Charlotte, then you would likely experience similar issues with the translator from Gaston County. That translator on Crowder's Mountain is merely a "repeater" of the main WSOC signal.

The Engineer from WSOC (Ted) has informed us to expect interruptions until the work is completed. So if you've already got your antenna "tweaked" for the best reception from your home for all the locals, (and your antenna is not on a rotor), you may want to consider leaving it alone and just waiting this issue out until WSOC goes live with their new antenna in September.
post #12257 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
Tagging onto what Tyler mentioned, my "guess" (with you being in Fort Mill) that if you are having signal problems with the main signal from NE Charlotte, then you would likely experience similar issues with the translator from Gaston County. That translator on Crowder's Mountain is merely a "repeater" of the main WSOC signal.

The Engineer from WSOC (Ted) has informed us to expect interruptions until the work is completed. So if you've already got your antenna "tweaked" for the best reception from your home for all the locals, (and your antenna is not on a rotor), you may want to consider leaving it alone and just waiting this issue out until WSOC goes live with their new antenna in September.
Ya I can't say it was "tweaked" but it was put up and every signal we needed came in strong with no interruptions, so left it at that. We did put an amplifier on it, to help bring it all in. All been stable until, as you guys mention, the work on the tower. Worst case I can play with it and see if I get anything, if not, tell her to wait, (good luck to me)
post #12258 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ya I can't say it was "tweaked" but it was put up and every signal we needed came in strong with no interruptions, so left it at that. We did put an amplifier on it, to help bring it all in. All been stable until, as you guys mention, the work on the tower. Worst case I can play with it and see if I get anything, if not, tell her to wait, (good luck to me)
Might be best to wait it out. Probably about a month to go.
post #12259 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We all know WSOC is on the AUX antenna, but I wonder if sister station WAXN is also affected. I believe they share the same tower. Have they been down also?

And we all know what WSOC has been doing, but anybody have an idea what going on with WCCB or WCNC? I guess they will inform when the time comes as necessary.
post #12260 of 12700 Old 07-24-2019, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
We all know WSOC is on the AUX antenna, but I wonder if sister station WAXN is also affected. I believe they share the same tower. Have they been down also?

And we all know what WSOC has been doing, but anybody have an idea what going on with WCCB or WCNC? I guess they will inform when the time comes as necessary.
I don't remember Ted saying anything specific about WAXN, but my "assumption" is that work is going on simultaneously with that sister station. I've never consistently received WAXN on channel 50 because it's always been required to protect WFMY on 51 and it is considerably weaker than main WSOC once you get away from the greater Charlotte area. But I've noticed a lot more disruptions on the WAXN translator from China Grove on channel 36 recently.

As for WCNC, they advised that viewers should "expect" disruptions and the public will be notified 30 days before their transition date, which can be any time between August and the September deadline. I "think" WCNC has been waiting on delivery of their new antenna, although they have not publicly stated when they expect that delivery to take place nor any further information.

Certain things about the repack are public knowledge (for every station) and for anyone that wants to take the time to look it up. Beyond that, I think stations are governed by "some" rules with the FCC in regards to what they disclose while other pieces of information "seem" to be left to the discretion of station owner groups. For example, in my Triad market, I made a phone call (something I rarely do to a TV station). It seemed the Engineer could not have been more transparent about everything related to the repack while another station was not willing to say much. So it's pretty easy to quickly pick up on these differences.

Personally, I don't "press" anyone that doesn't want to share information either 1) because they simply don't want to 'or' 2) because FCC rules or ownership management rules prohibit them from doing so. Either way - I just accept it for what it is and roll on.
post #12261 of 12700 Old 07-25-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone explain it to me like I am 5 about what is going on with WSOC? I am very late to this. . .thanks for any information for an OTA newbie.

Hi, completely new to OTA as of this week. Live Lake Wylie, York County, SC, and hooked up rabbit ears with a UHF loop antenna for $10 from Target. I get 28 stations (all look great), but not WSOC (9-ABC). There are 409 pages of OTA discussion for Charlotte and lots of comments on WSOC and repack, but not sure I follow a lot of it. Is this temporarily an issue (seems like that is what I am reading) or do I need to consider better antenna (like on roof or attic)?

My only other option is non HD network locals I have from AT&T with my 300MB internet ($60 bundle and cheaper with basic than without). Here's what I am pulling in, and using HDHomerun box (same 28 on Roku TV tuner). For anyone else in area, is this typical # of stations?

3.1 WBTV-DT
3.2 Bounce
3.3 Grit
18.1 WCCB-Dt
18.2 WCCB-At
18.3 WCCB-Me
18.4 QVC-Tv
18.5 WCCB-St
30.1 ETV
30.2 SCC
30.3 ETVW
30.4 ETVK
36.1 WCNC-HD
36.2 Justice
36.3 CourtTV
36.4 Quest
46.1 WJZY-HD
46.3 SBN
46.4 MOVIES
46.5 HEROES
46.6 ION
46.7 BUZZR
46.8 LIGHT
55.1 WMYT-HD
58.1 UNC-TV
58.2 ROOTLE
58.3 UNC-EX
58.4 NCCHL
post #12262 of 12700 Old 07-25-2019, 07:24 PM

Welcome aboard, Raven! Channels 9 and 64 are missing from your list, because those two stations are transitioning to a different digital channel, although the virtual channels 9 and 64 will remain. This will be completed by sometime in September. In the interim, they are running on an auxiliary transmitter, that doesn’t transmit as far, and at times are off the air entirely. This afternoon, they were off for a few hours.
raven70 likes this.
post #12263 of 12700 Old 07-25-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^@Raven please beware many stations are in the process of changing frequency as required by the FCC. It may be September or even possibly October until all channels are restored to full power. Currently Channel 9 and 64 may be reduced signal as work is underway. WBTV has a strong signal and will remain the same.

And at some point, you may decide you need a stronger indoor antenna than what is available at Target. I have observed Walmart has a much better selection of indoor antennas. The Antop 400BV sold on Amazon is a good indoor/outdoor antenna that has reliable reception. But it is a bit pricey although well worth the initial investment. Some of the Mohu antennas at Best Buy perform good for UHF, but may be weak on VHF if you want WTVI. Also the Clearstream 2MAX at Walmart is a good antenna that has an indoor stand. But if you are in a strong signal area, then the basic rabbit ears and loop like you have may suffice. But you can always add an amp if necessary.
raven70 likes this.
post #12264 of 12700 Old 07-25-2019, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Hello Raven,

Just to add to what has already been said. There is nothing unique about WSOC as it relates to this “repack” topic since the repack is affecting “most” stations. One of the reasons why you have read so many posts about WSOC is the fact that they have an Engineer who was kind enough to post news on this forum about the work they are doing at his station regarding their repack and the fact that their temporary antenna has made them more difficult to receive. But as most stations are being affected by this change, you may have interruptions from other networks in the area as well (with the exception of WBTV who is not being impacted by this “repack” move).

And while you may not read so much news (posts) about other stations. Just know that work is underway, or will soon be getting underway, at all other stations being impacted. If things go as scheduled, you can expect the stations to be restored to full power by 09/06/19. Maybe a bit later for any particular station, if they run into problems.

And your list of stations is typical of others in your area

Last edited by evan237; 07-25-2019 at 08:12 PM.
post #12265 of 12700 Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven70 View Post
Can someone explain it to me like I am 5 about what is going on with WSOC? I am very late to this. . .thanks for any information for an OTA newbie.

Hi, completely new to OTA as of this week. Live Lake Wylie, York County, SC, and hooked up rabbit ears with a UHF loop antenna for $10 from Target. I get 28 stations (all look great), but not WSOC (9-ABC). There are 409 pages of OTA discussion for Charlotte and lots of comments on WSOC and repack, but not sure I follow a lot of it. Is this temporarily an issue (seems like that is what I am reading) or do I need to consider better antenna (like on roof or attic)?

My only other option is non HD network locals I have from AT&T with my 300MB internet ($60 bundle and cheaper with basic than without). Here's what I am pulling in, and using HDHomerun box (same 28 on Roku TV tuner). For anyone else in area, is this typical # of stations?
You picked up stations from Gaston County and Charlotte. CBS, FOX and NBC have their towers in Gaston County to the north of you and should be easy for you to pickup. ABC and The CW towers are in Charlotte, slightly northeast from you and farther away than Gaston County. If all you want are ABC, CBS, NBC and The CW, you should be good to go after the tower work is done in the area. WTVI PBS Charlotte is on HI-VHF Channel 11, it may take a different antenna if you want to pick it up. Rescan often in the next few weeks as some channels will be changing.
post #12266 of 12700 Old 07-26-2019, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks you all for your responses. I was actually surprised at quality of picture on most channels. Now just tweaking my setup and seeing how all my devices checkout. Pleasantly surprised my Sony tv supports HDHomeRun natively without an app so that was nice surprise. Just need to setup Plex for DVR.
post #12267 of 12700 Old 07-26-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hearst station WYFF-4 has announced on promo that Sept. 6 is official rescan day. Apparently their repack work is on schedule. Must rescan to see 4.1 and 4.2. But for concern to Charlotte area viewers west of Charlotte, the WSOC translator most likely will have to shut down by that time on channel 30 as WYFF will take over that channel for their full power signal. WSOC is scheduled to move the Crowder's Mtn. signal to channel 12, although the exact time frame has not yet been announced. Hopefully by then there will be an improved signal as WSOC moves the main antenna to channel 19.
post #12268 of 12700 Old 07-26-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Hearst station WYFF-4 has announced on promo that Sept. 6 is official rescan day. Apparently their repack work is on schedule. Must rescan to see 4.1 and 4.2. But for concern to Charlotte area viewers west of Charlotte, the WSOC translator most likely will have to shut down by that time on channel 30 as WYFF will take over that channel for their full power signal. WSOC is scheduled to move the Crowder's Mtn. signal to channel 12, although the exact time frame has not yet been announced. Hopefully by then there will be an improved signal as WSOC moves the main antenna to channel 19.

TylerSC this does not affect 99.9% of the viewers in Charlotte...? This is a Greenville SC Station.
A J and dja1922 like this.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #12269 of 12700 Old 07-26-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
TylerSC this does not affect 99.9% of the viewers in Charlotte...? This is a Greenville SC Station.
It affects the WSOC translator station because they will move from 30 to 12 because WYFF will take over 30 for their new full power signal. They said today on WYFF promo that new signal on 30 will start Sept. 6 so you must rescan at that time. If WSOC stayed on 30 there could possibly be interference in Gaston, Cleveland, and Cherokee counties. So my point was regarding WSOC. I would assume their Crowder's translator will have to shut down by Sept. 6 and then WSOC will move to 12 whenever their time frame allows. But we know now they are working on the main signal moving to 19. And there is a lot of overlap with the GSP and Charlotte signals from Spartanburg to Gastonia.
post #12270 of 12700 Old 07-26-2019, 07:30 PM

It’s my understanding that Charlotte stations 3 and 42 won’t have to move to another channel. Which others will, and how many are completed? I have only heard anything about channel 9 even working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception