Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 434 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 719Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12991 of 13376 Old 11-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
4:3 Toshiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western Gaston County
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Speaking of Roku (Express+), I am on my third unit in one year.

Seems like these devices have sub-par wireless hardware installed, because my previous two units couldn't pick up any wireless signals from 20 to 25 feet away. They worked fine for a few months, and then they could hardly pick up a temporary hotspot in the living room unless the device (cell phone) was just a few feet away. One of the secret screens indicated overheating in both Roku's, but there was plenty of ventilation around the two.

As a result, my third unit stays unplugged when not in use.

Am I alone here?
4:3 Toshiba is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12992 of 13376 Old 11-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Update on WHKY from their website:

Quote:
Attention viewers who watch WHKY-TV with an over-the-air antenna

Update: Updated 11/15/19: WHKY-TV return to full power target date is early week of November 18th. Weather and scheduling professional tower crews have delayed tower installation required for return to full power over-the-air signal coverage. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.
ybsane and evan237 like this.
johnny antenna is offline  
post #12993 of 13376 Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
Update on WHKY from their website:
I will check and see tomorrow if they back to full power yet. Of course I may be in fringe area Spartanburg County.

Also do we know when WJZY will get back to full power or they still have technical problem?
tylerSC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12994 of 13376 Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Speaking of Roku (Express+), I am on my third unit in one year.

Seems like these devices have sub-par wireless hardware installed, because my previous two units couldn't pick up any wireless signals from 20 to 25 feet away. They worked fine for a few months, and then they could hardly pick up a temporary hotspot in the living room unless the device (cell phone) was just a few feet away. One of the secret screens indicated overheating in both Roku's, but there was plenty of ventilation around the two.

As a result, my third unit stays unplugged when not in use.

Am I alone here?
Although I haven't noticed a problem with Rokus and wireless (on my devices), you are "not" alone in talking about overheating with Rokus. I've owned a couple of Rokus for a few years now (not the stick versions but the set top Roku models). I've noticed both of them being very warm (to the touch) even when not in use; and I've also had plenty of ventilation around them like you mentioned with yours. But since I've recently switched to Fire Sticks to best accommodate HDHR, I don't really have a use for them now.
evan237 is offline  
post #12995 of 13376 Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
OTA-DVR-guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Well, I can say it won't be Decades. Unless the revenue numbers significantly change..
😢😭🤒🤯
OTA-DVR-guy is offline  
post #12996 of 13376 Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
Update on WHKY from their website:
I lost WHKY after repack, but it's back tonight with a steady picture. I'm working from home tomorrow so I'll have to check it again during the day time to see how well its doing at my location.
evan237 is offline  
post #12997 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 04:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I lost WHKY after repack, but it's back tonight with a steady picture. I'm working from home tomorrow so I'll have to check it again during the day time to see how well its doing at my location.
WHKY is not back as of this morning. I hope they get it this week; they've had delay after delay for the last 2 months.
johnny antenna is offline  
post #12998 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Member
 
ncshawng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Harrisburg, NC
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
WHKY is not back as of this morning. I hope they get it this week; they've had delay after delay for the last 2 months.
Their definition of "early" seems to be different than mine.

No sign of any signal out of their Charlotte site either.
ncshawng is offline  
post #12999 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
WHKY is not back as of this morning. I hope they get it this week; they've had delay after delay for the last 2 months.
I don't see it either must still be working on it.
tylerSC is offline  
post #13000 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I don't see it either must still be working on it.
I haven't receive it either i used to get it some doing few weather conditions before the repack.
LMckin is offline  
post #13001 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Member
 
MadMan400096's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicopee, Massachusetts
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Regarding WCCB's mysterious eighth subchannel, I can't really think of a whole lot among the existing diginets that would potentially land there, since most of them are already accounted for in Charlotte, including the upcoming Circle, which will be on Gray-owned WBTV. Since it's more or less been confirmed that it's not Decades, the only diginets I can think of that WCCB would potentially get are Sinclair's TBD (basically internet videos on TV), NBC's upcoming LX, and maybe NewsNet.

Unless we get a curveball in the form of a completely new diginet we've never heard of before being announced that WCCB's already signed to affilate with.
MadMan400096 is online now  
post #13002 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 43
another choice This tv

or qvc 2 or hsn 2
LMckin is offline  
post #13003 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Adjacent to the aromatic Reedy River
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Perhaps AccuWeather or WeatherNation could be in the mix for 18.8.
OldDevildog is online now  
post #13004 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
WHKY is not back as of this morning. I hope they get it this week; they've had delay after delay for the last 2 months.
I believe I was getting WHKY (steady) last night from the Baker Mountain location. But no sign of it earlier today and not this evening either. Hopefully, they will fix WHKY later this week.
evan237 is offline  
post #13005 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 06:13 PM
Member
 
tesla_engineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hickory, NC
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I believe I was getting WHKY (steady) last night from the Baker Mountain location. But no sign of it earlier today and not this evening either. Hopefully, they will fix WHKY later this week.
I pull WHKY back down today on Baker MT. Not happy with a RF system problem (Very large Ch 14 filter 32'L x 12.5'W 10.5"H little over 10K Lbs. Think I have it resolved as of tonight. Charlotte site, weather got the tower crew on Monday. It will be the first of the week on it. By the way on timing no one asked me!
ybsane, evan237 and johnny antenna like this.

Tom
tesla_engineer is offline  
post #13006 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
I pull WHKY back down today on Baker MT. Not happy with a RF system problem (Very large Ch 14 filter 32'L x 12.5'W 10.5"H little over 10K Lbs. Think I have it resolved as of tonight. Charlotte site, weather got the tower crew on Monday. It will be the first of the week on it. By the way on timing no one asked me!
Thanks for the update on WHKY and good to hear that you appear to have the problem solved. With the crew in Charlotte, I understand the Baker MT. site may be up and running the first part of next week.
evan237 is offline  
post #13007 of 13376 Old 11-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Member
 
ncshawng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Harrisburg, NC
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan400096 View Post
Regarding WCCB's mysterious eighth subchannel, I can't really think of a whole lot among the existing diginets that would potentially land there, since most of them are already accounted for in Charlotte, including the upcoming Circle, which will be on Gray-owned WBTV. Since it's more or less been confirmed that it's not Decades, the only diginets I can think of that WCCB would potentially get are Sinclair's TBD (basically internet videos on TV), NBC's upcoming LX, and maybe NewsNet.

Unless we get a curveball in the form of a completely new diginet we've never heard of before being announced that WCCB's already signed to affilate with.
One wild thought - Since WCCB already carries MeTV and AntennaTV, could they possibly be making room for NBC-owned Cozi? Cozi's current signal isn't very receivable outside of Charlotte. We could always hope they are moving.
ncshawng is offline  
post #13008 of 13376 Old 11-22-2019, 07:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Matthews NC
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WHEH-LD signal but no channels

Has anyone else noticed that WHEH has a signal but no channels associated with it. I am looking on my HDHomerun Config GUI and I can see it getting signal but they are not broadcasting any channels.
thadrumr is offline  
post #13009 of 13376 Old 11-22-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadrumr View Post
Has anyone else noticed that WHEH has a signal but no channels associated with it. I am looking on my HDHomerun Config GUI and I can see it getting signal but they are not broadcasting any channels.
That is kindle simmer problem with the Low power channel of W15EJ-D 31 in Greenville -Spartanburg the station getting a strong signal but no channels is not on
LMckin is offline  
post #13010 of 13376 Old 11-22-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncshawng View Post
One wild thought - Since WCCB already carries MeTV and AntennaTV, could they possibly be making room for NBC-owned Cozi? Cozi's current signal isn't very receivable outside of Charlotte. We could always hope they are moving.
Well since they already carry 2 retro channels they may be planning something else. But we shall see whenever the big secret is revealed. Perhaps after the first of the year but they haven't said what the timing is yet. Unless WBTV plan to drop something to make room for Circle and WCCB pick it up or maybe WBTV just add a 4th channel. Depends on what contracts Gray wants to keep from Raycom I guess.
tylerSC is offline  
post #13011 of 13376 Old 11-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
LMckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spartanburg,SC
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Well since they already carry 2 retro channels they may be planning something else. But we shall see whenever the big secret is revealed. Perhaps after the first of the year but they haven't said what the timing is yet. Unless WBTV plan to drop something to make room for Circle and WCCB pick it up or maybe WBTV just add a 4th channel. Depends on what contracts Gray wants to keep from Raycom I guess.
on Rabbitears.info wbTV will add a 4th sub channel for Circle TV
LMckin is offline  
post #13012 of 13376 Old 11-22-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
on Rabbitears.info wbTV will add a 4th sub channel for Circle TV
Oh well that answer that issue. Just wait and see when they reveal the new channel for 18.8 WCCB. Maybe at the first of the year.
tylerSC is offline  
post #13013 of 13376 Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
evan237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mocksville, NC
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 47
For anyone interested, I see that the 4k Firesticks are on sale right now for half price at Amazon. I bought two of them on sale.
evan237 is offline  
post #13014 of 13376 Old 11-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Newbie
 
waqiii68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
For anyone interested, I see that the 4k Firesticks are on sale right now for half price at Amazon. I bought two of them on sale.
I bought one for $24.99 last week. I have a Roku TV and want to compare. Since the 9.2 Roku update certain apps have been slow.
waqiii68 is offline  
post #13015 of 13376 Old 11-26-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 264
WSOC appear to be using alternate studio on evening newscast.
tylerSC is offline  
post #13016 of 13376 Old 11-26-2019, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tylerSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mauldin SC, 29607
Posts: 6,811
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WSOC appear to be using alternate studio on evening newscast.
On 11:00 news they back in the normal studio so must have been a technical issue.
tylerSC is offline  
post #13017 of 13376 Old 11-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
4:3 Toshiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Western Gaston County
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sure wish WTVI and WUNG had stronger transmitters.
4:3 Toshiba is offline  
post #13018 of 13376 Old 11-27-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ybsane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Sure wish WTVI and WUNG had stronger transmitters.
WTVI has always been pretty good, it is on VHF-11, WUNG is down on power since the channel allocation but not too bad.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
ybsane is online now  
post #13019 of 13376 Old 11-27-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bdfox18doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,992
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
WTVI has always been pretty good, it is on VHF-11, WUNG is down on power since the channel allocation but not too bad.

Never had any issues getting WUNG nor WNSC. And since the repack WUNE 17(36) is gangbusters here in Mint Hill. I could care less about WTVI....
There is more than enough PBS for me..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 11-27-2019 at 05:37 PM.
bdfox18doe is online now  
post #13020 of 13376 Old 11-27-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cpalmer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Charlotte, NC - OTA

Pretty good conditions for reception tonight. WSOC and WCCB coming in at 100% which is rare since the repack and picking up WFMY tropo from Greensboro about 150 miles away.
cpalmer2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off