Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 444 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 734Likes

post #13291 of 13395 Old 01-13-2020, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
But which station will be the 1st 🤔

I can tell you which one it will NOT be....
LMckin and johnny antenna like this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13292 of 13395 Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Cord Cutters News says Charlotte will get ATSC3 new generation TV in 2020, and is bold face top 10 list of 61 markets. Posted in Atlanta thread where they are top of the list. WRAL in Raleigh supposedly already testing.
I read where the Converter boxes for the ATSC 3 will be out 2020
post #13293 of 13395 Old 01-13-2020, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I read that Solid Signal is working on a deal to sell one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13294 of 13395 Old 01-13-2020, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Heard converter boxes will be out around spring or summer
post #13295 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I would take a guess and say WSOC, but WJZY would truly benefit from the technology with all their subchannels that want in place.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #13296 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscau14 View Post
Heard converter boxes will be out around spring or summer
Never buy the first ones that come out, version 2 and or 3 will always be better. I will probably pick up a USB drive= more benefits with software upgrades this way imo.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #13297 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I heard by the year 2020 we would all have flying cars...

Last edited by Zaxcom; 01-14-2020 at 06:20 AM.
post #13298 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I heard that if a frog had wings he would not bust his rear every time he jumps..
LMckin likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #13299 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Is it any wonder that the streaming networks are winning. People will pay for quality!"
Ummm..

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...mson-game.html

Bob

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 01-14-2020 at 07:58 AM.
post #13300 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
"Is it any wonder that the streaming networks are winning. People will pay for quality!"
Ummm..

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...mson-game.html
Streaming has its limits. Only so many can be on a server at once and the providers have to do their best estimate as to how many servers they should ramp up vs. expected demand. Ramp up too many and you waste money, ramp up too few and you could get what happened last night. Also this will require much more examination, was it ESPN at fault, or the local providers not being able to handle the load on their networks? Were they exceeding their peering agreements for bandwidth? Local nodes over loaded? There are so many pieces in the pipe, all owned and managed by so many companies, its very hard to point a finger at any one fault for last night. Could have been a little bit of everyone.
post #13301 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
At least two stations need to work together to jump to ATSC 3.0. One scenario could be WJZY going to 3.0 and WBTV and WCNC sharing the 1.0 load. They may have to drop some subchannels to get it to fit. It's all conjecture at this point though.
post #13302 of 13395 Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
At least two stations need to work together to jump to ATSC 3.0. One scenario could be WJZY going to 3.0 and WBTV and WCNC sharing the 1.0 load. They may have to drop some subchannels to get it to fit. It's all conjecture at this point though.
I could see WJZY doing this, especially since they are being acquired by Nexstar Media Group (assuming the deal goes through). From what I've gathered, Nexstar Media is very interested in ATSC 3.0. But as you say, it would require two stations working together. If I had to guess, I would say WSOC working with WJZY. But, as you pointed out, it's all conjecture at this point.
post #13303 of 13395 Old 01-15-2020, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 20
From what I have seen what excites me most about ATSC 3.0 is the robust signal. The YouTube video I saw showed a much more robust signal even though it was lower powered than the ATSC 1.0 signal on the same tower. Don't get me wrong though I don't want to have to invest in a new OTA Tivo. The one I have is working fine.
post #13304 of 13395 Old 01-15-2020, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
This is a little off subject but related to OTA antenna and I am in Charlotte. So, if I have a coax that was pulled from my home connect box and I installed a high quality OTA antenna to it. Then back inside the box I took that line and split with a powered splitter could I get OTA stations on every TV that is connected or even with a powered splitter am I only going to be able to get OTA on one TV?
Once again here is the scenario:
Inside my home run (main connect box in my new home) box all connections come are currently hooked to up a splitter with the cable company. Its is powered. Only using 2 connections in the entire house. I have one line that was originally run from the box up into the attic. I assume it was run for Satellite. If I connected this line to an internal high quality powered OTA Antenna would I be able to receive OTA signal to any outlet that I hooked this OTA antenna to?

Let me know if I am making sense. Otherwise every TV that I want to utilize OTA is going to have a physical antenna in the room attached to it. Not ideal....

Thanks
post #13305 of 13395 Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrock17 View Post
This is a little off subject but related to OTA antenna and I am in Charlotte. So, if I have a coax that was pulled from my home connect box and I installed a high quality OTA antenna to it. Then back inside the box I took that line and split with a powered splitter could I get OTA stations on every TV that is connected or even with a powered splitter am I only going to be able to get OTA on one TV?
Inside my home run (main connect box in my new home) box all connections come are currently hooked to up a splitter with the cable company. Its is powered. Only using 2 connections in the entire house. I have one line that was originally run from the box up into the attic. I assume it was run for Satellite. If I connected this line to an internal high quality powered OTA Antenna would I be able to receive OTA signal to any outlet that I hooked this OTA antenna to?

Let me know if I am making sense. Otherwise every TV that I want to utilize OTA is going to have a physical antenna in the room attached to it. Not ideal....

Thanks

You make sense to me. I have a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp sending signal to two TVs in my house. Here is a tip. Read this tutorial on connecting multiple TVs to a splitter or to a powered pre-amp

http://dennysantennaservice.com/1136577.html

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #13306 of 13395 Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks
If I understand what you're asking, yes. I have one antenna with coax connecting it to three TVs and a Tablo. All can receive different signals at the same time. If what you're asking is more complicated than I realize, I apologize for confusing you.
post #13307 of 13395 Old 01-15-2020, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDevildog View Post
Quote:

Thanks
If I understand what you're asking, yes. I have one antenna with coax connecting it to three TVs and a Tablo. All can receive different signals at the same time. If what you're asking is more complicated than I realize, I apologize for confusing you.
Yes, that is what I was asking. Thanks. So, on each TV are you utilizing Roku for your programming guide? What’s Tablo?
What OTA antenna are you using in your attic? Are you using a powered splitter?
post #13308 of 13395 Old 01-15-2020, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Tablo is an OTA DVR. It has a guide. My TVs don't have a guide ala cable/satellite, although one does allow a forward look on programming one channel at a time. I have a Clearstream 4 on my roof. The splitter is not powered.
Kevrock17 likes this.
post #13309 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Thanks
You mentioned you are currently hooked up to the cable company. Just make sure the OTA is on it's own system and not hooked up to the cable system. Good luck.
Kevrock17 likes this.
post #13310 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
here is more info on the new ATSC 3.0

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ejvbnaKZQZvCZg
post #13311 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks
As Johnny said, just make sure your OTA is on it's own system. You may still be using your cable line for internet, but *if* you are not using it for any services, you may want to consider disconnecting the main cable feed line where it goes inside your junction box. Also, if you're only using a couple of television sets, you may also want to ensure that you are not splitting the signal more ways than what is really necessary for your needs, which may promote better reception.

I am not a cable guy here. But some of the tools out there are pretty easy to use to determine which coax lines you need to utilize. For example, I've got a Coax Explorer 2 with remote kit that I bought from Home Depot some time back. That makes it really easy to determine which connections (inside your junction box) belong to the same coax lines going into the desired rooms in your home that need the OTA connections. All other lines inside the home (not in use) could stay disconnected at the junction box.

In your case it sounds like you've got a simple set up. A coax lead wire from the attic (that you will be using for your antenna connection) that leads directly to your junction box. From the junction box, you are just splitting it off onto the desired coax lines that go back into your home in the rooms where your receivers are located.
post #13312 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
here is more info on the new ATSC 3.0

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ejvbnaKZQZvCZg
As with everything, there are pros and cons. And if atsc3 takes off in the future, it will be the owners of stations that make that determination. As we all know, it's voluntary. And there are clearly a number of owner groups that are very much in favor of this new standard, whereas others are not.

From the viewer standpoint, it seems the biggest advantage of atsc3 would be enabling more people to get reliable OTA reception. My feeling is that this can be a problem in every TV market, especially those who have lots of obstructions around them and other viewers in outlying/rural areas. The negative side (depending on how people look at it) would be targeted advertising.

But my guess is that (targeted advertising) is the biggest attraction for the owner groups who want to jump on board. At any rate, it's still a ways off with unanswered questions and speculations about how it may all play out.
post #13313 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WCCB 18.3 MeTV glitching tonight? It keeps stuttering or freezing every 5 or 6 seconds. I see this both on Spectrum and OTA.

Anyone else seeing this? AntennaTV looks fine.
post #13314 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny antenna View Post
You mentioned you are currently hooked up to the cable company. Just make sure the OTA is on it's own system and not hooked up to the cable system. Good luck.
Yes do not combine your antenna cable with the same cable from the Spectrum service, as that will cause interference, even if it is just internet. With that being said, the same cable line and junction box should work for OTA signals from the antenna. An amplified splitter in the junction box should work to prevent signal loss if you are connecting 2 or 4 TVs. But if you have a long cable run, it might be better to have a preamp at the antenna to avoid signal loss. But, if you are in metro Charlotte, then your signals may be strong enough so the distribution amp is all that is necessary. Because you don't won't to overload the system and cause channels to drop out. It depends upon the signal strength at your location. An amplifier may not be necessary at all, unless you have a long cable run or multiple splits.
post #13315 of 13395 Old 01-16-2020, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
@y;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncshawng View Post
WCCB 18.3 MeTV glitching tonight? It keeps stuttering or freezing every 5 or 6 seconds. I see this both on Spectrum and OTA.

Yes, in fact the WCCB broadcast went completely off at 11PM. On cable, AntennaTV is also freezing every couple of seconds.
post #13316 of 13395 Old 01-17-2020, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep..We did a software update to the transmitter..and have to go off air to do so...but were back at 2am..not sure why Spectrum went off , and it did not come back as well.
I don't have a good local contact anymore..they are all gone now..We're supposed to call the NOC in Colorado..who wasn't very helpful.

Bob

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 01-17-2020 at 05:22 AM.
post #13317 of 13395 Old 01-17-2020, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncshawng View Post

WCNC on Spectrum was freezing for me last night. Very irritating. WBTV was rock solid.
post #13318 of 13395 Old 01-17-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
WCNC on Spectrum was freezing for me last night. Very irritating. WBTV was rock solid.
WCNC freezing and going blank on Spectrum Cable last night and this morning.
post #13319 of 13395 Old 01-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yep..We did a software update to the transmitter..and have to go off air to do so...

Gone are the days of staying up all night changing tubes.. now we stay up inserting thumb drives. Man, the times they be changin'
ncshawng likes this.
post #13320 of 13395 Old 01-17-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoone View Post
Gone are the days of staying up all night changing tubes.. now we stay up inserting thumb drives. Man, the times they be changin'

"We apologize for going off air during the winning play of the game...Windows666 decided we needed to update and took it upon itself to reboot thereby shutting down the transmitter...It's currently stuck on applying update 3 of 1467"...........
ncshawng and difuse like this.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page