Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 704Likes

post #13321 of 13334 Old 01-17-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
WCNC on Spectrum was freezing for me last night. Very irritating. WBTV was rock solid.
Must be technical problem from the Spectrum. Do they now receive the local stations with a master antenna or do they now use some sort of fiber or satellite feed?

I only have Spectrum for internet and home phone. Don't need the TV service although at some point I may look into some sort of streaming option for CNN.

And they don't carry any Charlotte channels on cable in Spartanburg although years ago they used to carry WBTV back before the retransmission fees and official DMA became an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 13334 Old 01-17-2020, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I do believe they get their signal off a Sling box that runs in rumpus room of a guy who lives off highway 51 in Charlotte. When he plays his video games it sucks all the bandwidth from the sling.
post #13323 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Must be technical problem from the Spectrum. Do they now receive the local stations with a master antenna or do they now use some sort of fiber or satellite feed?

I only have Spectrum for internet and home phone. Don't need the TV service although at some point I may look into some sort of streaming option for CNN.

And they don't carry any Charlotte channels on cable in Spartanburg although years ago they used to carry WBTV back before the retransmission fees and official DMA became an issue.
These items have been discussed numerous times in the past and you have taken what myself and others have said and repeated to others on this and a dozen other forums.

Local stations have Fiber as primary and OTA as back up. All Cable, Satellite, FTTH,etc pay a re-transmission fee for OTA so they stick with local DMA affiliates and do not go outside their market areas (unnecessary fees, contracts,and viewers) This is why you don't have Charlotte stations in Greenville SC on Spectrum.
bdfox18doe and A J like this.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13324 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
I do believe they get their signal off a Sling box that runs in rumpus room of a guy who lives off highway 51 in Charlotte. When he plays his video games it sucks all the bandwidth from the sling.
Maybe they need a preamp?
videojanitor likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #13325 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Local stations have Fiber as primary and OTA as back up. All Cable, Satellite, FTTH,etc pay a re-transmission fee for OTA so they stick with local DMA affiliates and do not go outside their market areas (unnecessary fees, contracts,and viewers).
I can remember driving by the local cable office, and seeing a small tower with several small antennas pointed in different directions. No fiber in those days. As I understand it, there was coaxial to connect the local stations to the networks in NY, but not the cable office to the local stations.

With the possible exception of my house, I’ve never seen so many antennas.🤨😄😂🤣
post #13326 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
These items have been discussed numerous times in the past and you have taken what myself and others have said and repeated to others on this and a dozen other forums.

Local stations have Fiber as primary and OTA as back up. All Cable, Satellite, FTTH,etc pay a re-transmission fee for OTA so they stick with local DMA affiliates and do not go outside their market areas (unnecessary fees, contracts,and viewers) This is why you don't have Charlotte stations in Greenville SC on Spectrum.
I indeed thought fiber had been confirmed in previous topics. And yes, as has been discussed before, the business model and DMA regulations regarding cable carriage changed sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. Just like the Greensboro stations are no longer carried on cable in Concord and Kannapolis, where I used to live. I miss the 1980's. But times change I guess. But now no more Saturday newspaper from Charlotte, but Greenville and Spartanburg still have a Saturday paper. But different media company, Gannett. But still aggravating to read the morning newspaper on a screen. Glad the antenna still works.
post #13327 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
Folks,

Radio Shack has the Clear Stream antenna on there web site this week for sale again.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ogIkpLY2VlVCJ9

These work well inside and outside.
I see a lot of the folks down here in the Upstate with newer antennas using the Clearstream 4V or 4MAX. They do work good, even for 13 which some folks claim to have trouble with. The smaller compact size helps them fit small spaces in the rafters in the attic, and they still have good gain, especially UHF. Just wish they still had a brick and mortar Radioshack around somewhere.
LMckin likes this.
post #13328 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxcom View Post
WCNC freezing and going blank on Spectrum Cable last night and this morning.
Not to take any chances, I watched my NBC/WCNC show last night using my OTA/DVR with no problems at all.
post #13329 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
18.3 is now a duplicate of 18.1. 18.4 is now a duplicate of 18.2. MeTV, formerly 18.3, is on 18.5. In fact, 18.3-8 each moved up two notches and are currently coming in on 18.5-10.
This problem has returned on my Sony 55” TV. The previous suggestion to do multiple rescans (first with, then without the antenna connected) proved to be only a temporary fix. The bad part is that if I want to watch Cozi, I have to manually tune to 18.10 each time, because I can’t save 18.9 or 18.10. My list of channels to show or hide only goes up to 18.8.
post #13330 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
Not to take any chances, I watched my NBC/WCNC show last night using my OTA/DVR with no problems at all.
Yes, I watched the two hour Dateline last night from 9-11, without a glitch. But OTA is my default method of viewing locals. I only go to the cable box for cable channels, or if an OTA channel isn’t coming in.
post #13331 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
This problem has returned on my Sony 55” TV. The previous suggestion to do multiple rescans (first with, then without the antenna connected) proved to be only a temporary fix. The bad part is that if I want to watch Cozi, I have to manually tune to 18.10 each time, because I can’t save 18.9 or 18.10. My list of channels to show or hide only goes up to 18.8.
The Sony receivers have a history of doing questionable things with virtual channels. You're not manually tuning 18.9 or 18.10 at any point after doing the double rescan, are you?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #13332 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Various UHF antennas have been mentioned here. But since the repack is mostly situated for the major stations, what antenna do the professionals here recommend for Charlotte reception in the outerlying areas? I like the Antop and the Clearstream, but is there something new or suggested here? I know the bow ties and yagi styles have also been mentioned based upon location. But the Clearstream fits better in the attic than the big 8bay. Just wondering what may be recommended.
post #13333 of 13334 Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
https://youtu.be/rVrXtg5cuCw
post #13334 of 13334 Old Today, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Various UHF antennas have been mentioned here. But since the repack is mostly situated for the major stations, what antenna do the professionals here recommend for Charlotte reception in the outerlying areas? I like the Antop and the Clearstream, but is there something new or suggested here? I know the bow ties and yagi styles have also been mentioned based upon location. But the Clearstream fits better in the attic than the big 8bay. Just wondering what may be recommended.
Are you saying you need a good performing antenna to fit in an attic or out on a roof?

I have great results with the HDB91X to pick up Greensboro stations out of Charlotte, keep in mind I still have days where I do not have reception on some channels but I know I am on the fringe and that's ok. I read through the Greensboro forum but do not put my reception issue' on Power, Side mount, etc. I am on the fringe...

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page