Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 780Likes

post #13591 of 13602 Old 05-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
I don't know what WBTV does that the other major Gaston County signals aren't doing but WBTV is always rock solid at my house in East Charlotte. I remember the analog days when WBTV had a horrible signal on my side of town.

Might be time for me to invest in an amplifier. I just hope I don't get overload on WSOC, WCCB and WAXN which are always super strong where I live.
I think you’ve correctly analyzed your situation... An amp will likely cause overload on the stations on your side of town. I live in Gaston County, which is west of Charlotte. My strongest, most consistent station is far-and-away WCCB. WSOC used to equally strong, but since the repack, it has joined its sister station WAXN in pixelating during rain and wind.

The problem I have, even without an amp, is that I sometimes get overload on WJZY, WBTV, and WCNC which are all 5-7 miles from me. I actually hooked up a small indoor antenna, to which I can switch when the signal gets so strong that it seizes up. Unless you do something like that for your three neighborhood channels, I suspect an amp would indeed mess you up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 13602 Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone got any info on what channel WVEB 22.1 is now? Also 21.5 seems to be the same channel, just not sure what channel it is?
post #13593 of 13602 Old 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hawkins View Post
Anyone got any info on what channel WVEB 22.1 is now? Also 21.5 seems to be the same channel, just not sure what channel it is?
21.5 isn't listed on hc2's website. https://hc2broadcasting.com/subchannel-listing/

I'm not sure exactly what the name of the channel is. It's a mix of infomercials and old shows like The Beverly Hillbillies and The Lucy Show.

I watched it for a bit last night at the top of the hour for a station identification but they're still using the generic "Community,ST" "TEST 99".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13594 of 13602 Old 05-23-2020, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
It's a glorified infomercial channel, a few of them do things like air public domain shows with a long form commercial as the presenting sponsor.
post #13595 of 13602 Old 05-23-2020, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I think you’ve correctly analyzed your situation... An amp will likely cause overload on the stations on your side of town. I live in Gaston County, which is west of Charlotte. My strongest, most consistent station is far-and-away WCCB. WSOC used to equally strong, but since the repack, it has joined its sister station WAXN in pixelating during rain and wind.

The problem I have, even without an amp, is that I sometimes get overload on WJZY, WBTV, and WCNC which are all 5-7 miles from me. I actually hooked up a small indoor antenna, to which I can switch when the signal gets so strong that it seizes up. Unless you do something like that for your three neighborhood channels, I suspect an amp would indeed mess you up.
I notice with more channels packed more close together I have more problems from preamp creating interference or dropouts from overload on certain channels. A precise delicate balance may be required using certain filters or FM trap. I added new Channel Master LTE filter before the preamp and more channels are stabilized. Don't know if problem was actually LTE or just acting as an attenuator, but it helped eliminate pixelation and dropouts. But of course this varies from each individual location and situation. But more delicate balance seems required since the repack as more channels are crowded closer together.
post #13596 of 13602 Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hawkins View Post

It appears COZI has been dropped, which makes sense being it's on 18.8 with a wider audience. It's an Infomercial channel now, of which one I don't know. Also 22.2 is blank now. Honestly though, I think of HC2 Broadcasting as a shady broadcasting company; why does the FCC allow this type of company move stations licensed in other cities and markets to move around?

Also, does anyone get WHEH-LD? I've not seen that channel for months now.
post #13597 of 13602 Old 05-23-2020, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashuOtaku View Post
It appears COZI has been dropped, which makes sense being it's on 18.8 with a wider audience. It's an Infomercial channel now, of which one I don't know. Also 22.2 is blank now. Honestly though, I think of HC2 Broadcasting as a shady broadcasting company; why does the FCC allow this type of company move stations licensed in other cities and markets to move around?

I know 22.2 is dark as well, I would sometimes let it play music in the background. That was a good mix of channels, but with dropping Cozi and no Country Network, all they have now is Stadium. I've been getting that on 13.4 now though, so no real loss.
post #13598 of 13602 Old 05-25-2020, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=difuse;57580982]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
It makes me feel old when I think back to myself (as a kid) watching Match Game (hosted by Gene Rayburn) in the 1970's. Many of the stars on that show have now passed away - well with the notable exception of the regular guest star on that show, Betty White, who is now 97 years old. QUOTE]
I don't know how old I feel, but I remember the first iteration of Match Game in the early '60's.
Gene Rayburn was not as 'hip" back then. The two celebrity panalists from that period I remember were Peggy Cass and Skitch Henderson. Cass is now remembered almost entirely for game show appearances. Henderson is mostly forgotten.

Match Game was produced at Rockefeller Center, as was Tonight!. Henderson was the developer of the NBC Orchestra, which would be famous as the "Tonight Show Band" under Doc Severinson. I've assumed that Henderson's appearances on Match Game were because he was there. And he is mostly forgotten because almost all the NBC programming then on videotape was wiped and now lost, including Johnny Carson's Tonight! from New York, and the first Match Game version.
Henderson left NBC before Carson took his show to California. So, most of Henderson's TV work is gone. But the mystery of Skitch Henderson is not gone.If he had been a little less well known there might not have been a mystery. The first 25 years of Henderson's life is not established. Henderson said he was born in England, others say he wasn't. Everybody agrees he worked in Hollywood in the late '30's. Henderson said he flew Hurricanes for the RAF in WW2 until Bing Crosby got him released to the US Army Air Corps. Others say there was no record of any RAF service.....but, there is no explanation for how a Hollywood musician became a flight instructor in the USAAC without some flying experience. There was something about Henderson's past that people were not supposed to know.
The soaps operas The Doctors and Days of our Lives weren't wiped, no?
post #13599 of 13602 Old 05-25-2020, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 275
[quote=danderson400;59704022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post

The soaps operas The Doctors and Days of our Lives weren't wiped, no?
The Days of our Lives still come on but right now the Young and the Restless and the Bold and the Beautiful are reruns because they stop production due to coronavirus. Maybe Days still has more episodes already filmed. And I think General Hospital still has new shows as well.

But not as many soap operas as they used to be, as the New York versions went off the air such as Guiding Light, As the World Turns, Edge of Night, All My Children, and One Life to Live. I thought the New York shows overall had better writing and more legendary characters such as Erica Kane, Phoebe Tyler, Dorian Lord, Victoria Lord, and Reva Shayne. And legendary As the World Turns actress Eileen Fulton was born in Asheville and also apparently had lived in Concord and became famous as Lisa.

The soaps today miss such legendary performers, especially since Mrs. Chancellor passed away on the Young and the Restless. All they have left now is Victor Newman who is great and Jill still appears sometimes.
post #13600 of 13602 Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
General Hosptial ran out of episodes on Thursday. Days has enough until September because they tape episodes well in advanced.
post #13601 of 13602 Old 05-25-2020, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashuOtaku View Post
WHEH moved, I think, to the old 36 tower off Hood Rd in Charlotte. They come in very clearly now, but I'm only about 5 miles from the tower.
post #13602 of 13602 Old 05-26-2020, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Yeah, I believe Days of Our Lives shot six months in advance of airing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page