Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 328Likes

post #2521 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 168
remember wtvi-dt is on RF-channel 11 with very little ERP..so you need a good VHF antenna..a paperclip will NOT work for them, unlike that ch-27 you get so well in the uncc area

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1344 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

That Hotel room must of been pretty high up. I live right in that area and there is no way for me to pick up that channel.

Second floor. Not that high up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

remember wtvi-dt is on RF-channel 11 with very little ERP..so you need a good VHF antenna..a paperclip will NOT work for them, unlike that ch-27 you get so well in the uncc area

I had to get it with my rabbit ears, and then it only barely decoded while outdoors. I never got a decode while indoors.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2523 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone know if there is a problem with wccb 18? i always pulled them in with no problems till about a week or so ago. it's kind of a hit and miss situation now. I know it's tropo season , but i never had any trouble with them before. thanks everyone....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87peppy View Post

anyone know if there is a problem with wccb 18? i always pulled them in with no problems till about a week or so ago. it's kind of a hit and miss situation now. I know it's tropo season , but i never had any trouble with them before. thanks everyone....

No, no issues that we know of..good here at my house. Have you re-scanned lately?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #2525 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, i rescan every week or so. the problems i'm having may be a case of multipath. I just wanted to rule out any station problems before i move ahead. I have never had a problem with wccb since i went all OTA early last year. They have always been one of my stronger stations. thanks for all the help and keep up all the good work everybody.....
post #2526 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I got a VHF in the attic for FM, tried and did a scan with and without an amp a couple of times just to see what I could get. It's real easy to overdrive your tuner around here with an amp. Played around with the analyzer a few times in the winter and of course when I set up E's antenna. We had the analyzer in the garage with me on the roof (surprise-surprise) and he had me fine tune to his liking...

I am working this weekend and am going to try and drop by his house tomorrow to move the Dish.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #2527 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

... E's antenna. .. am going to try and drop by his house tomorrow to move the Dish.

I have seen that..my dishes are much easier to align..and get better video too! ..just don't fall..

Bob

post #2528 of 11945 Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

Are we ever going to see some additional programming other than weather..

Unfortunately highly unlikely..the 3 weathers you see here are all tied to the sales effort, and provide better ROI than RTN would by far.

Bob

post #2529 of 11945 Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

..the 3 weathers you see here are all tied to the sales effort, and provide better ROI than RTN would by far.

My 2¢ would be to keep FOX 18-3 weather, which is quite useful with NOAA Weather Radio audio and the radar image. 9-2 and 36-2 are both third rate, but I guess they might as well be there instead of the dreaded shopping channels and more bible thumpers that are bound to pop up some day.

RTN may possibly be expensive to carry. It certainly hasn't spread across the nation very quickly. I'll watch it if it ever shows up on a Charlotte station, or if Hickory's 14-2 ever gets a repeater in Charlotte.

A J
post #2530 of 11945 Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM

It's not that RTV is expensive, it's that it's poorly run. There was an infomercial station that said RTV's technical quality was very bad and they were constantly screwing up local ads that had been sold. After a while carrying it, they went back to infomercials because RTV made the station look bad. (And not carrying local ads that had already been sold meant they lost money, too.)

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2531 of 11945 Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

My 2¢ would be to keep FOX 18-3 weather, which is quite useful with NOAA Weather Radio audio and the radar image. 9-2 and 36-2 are both third rate, but I guess they might as well be there instead of the dreaded shopping channels and more bible thumpers that are bound to pop up some day.

RTN may possibly be expensive to carry. It certainly hasn't spread across the nation very quickly. I'll watch it if it ever shows up on a Charlotte station, or if Hickory's 14-2 ever gets a repeater in Charlotte.

A J

According to this FCC Website: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

When I enter your town "Indian Trail", it shows that WSPA from Spartanburg has a weak signal - WHKY doesn't even show. WSPA carries RTN.
With a preamp, I get several "weak" stations very well. So, it's likely that with the right setup you could get WSPA.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #2532 of 11945 Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post

According to this FCC Website: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

When I enter your town "Indian Trail", it shows that WSPA from Spartanburg has a weak signal - WHKY doesn't even show. WSPA carries RTN.
With a preamp, I get several "weak" stations very well. So, it's likely that with the right setup you could get WSPA.

First time I've heard of that website and its reception analysis results vary wildly from TVFool, which has gained my confidence. For example, that digital transition page shows 4 channels over 70 miles away as yellow (moderately strong), in fact stronger than our local WMYT, which I receive nicely on an $4 indoor Radio Shack bowtie antenna.

I think I'll stick with TVFool's signal analysis. It has WHKY in red (very difficult) and those 70+ mile stations in purple (very unlikely).

A J
post #2533 of 11945 Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Translator WAXNTV1 is on the air in China Grove...64.7....any signal report is welcome. Thanks.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
Fellow - Society of Broadcast Engineers
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD
Amateur Radio - W9SOC
post #2534 of 11945 Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I live in Mount Airy near the the Virginia state line.Signal strength has been running between 88 and 93% for me.
post #2535 of 11945 Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Skip should be pretty good come tomorrow morning:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html#hour24

Bob

post #2536 of 11945 Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have an Olevia HDTV hooked up only to coaxial cable out of the wall. While Olevia did not advertise this TV as having a qam tuner, I had been able to pick up all my local channels in HD until just recently. The first channel to go away was WCNC/220but I was able to find it on 36.1. Now all the other HD channels that were in the 200 series are gone (WBTV/225, WSOC/235, WCCB/240, etc...). I have rescanned the TV quite a few times over the last two weeks to no avail. Any help would be most appreciated.

I have TWC in Gaston County, NC
post #2537 of 11945 Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Skip should be pretty good come tomorrow morning:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html#hour24

It was pretty hot last night with e-clouds in the 60 meg range stretching from the NE US to the west coast. Had some 200mhz clouds around west TN which allowed for some good FM DX from our area out to Texas and Oklahoma as well as 144 Es for the contest this weekend.

Steve
post #2538 of 11945 Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoone View Post

Steve

Where ya been hiding Steve?

Bob

post #2539 of 11945 Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

14-2 seems to be tough to pick up anywhere in the Charlotte area. Someone mentioned a while back that a repeater for WHKY might one day be installed in Charlotte. It would be nice if that actually happens. I sent an email to WHKY a couple months back, asking about plans for a repeater, but got no response.

A J

WHKY TV's Charlotte transmitter site will be a DTS, (Distributed Transmission System) not a translator. It is on channel 40 just like the main transmitter. Data and carrier have to be locked together and offset properly to make this work. A off air pickup will not work for the site to see the main site.
WHKY TV is in the process of constructing a bi-directional microwave path from our new transmitter site at Baker Mt in Hickory to the WTVI site in North Charlotte to combine the two transmitter sites.
The FCC has not acted on our request for a STA to run the site at WTVI with the present transmitter site before the Baker Mt site comes on line in the late fall or early winter.
The transmitter and support equipment is installed at the WTVI site and ready to run. The antenna should go up with the microwave antennas in the moth of July.
As I have a better time table on the Charlotte transmitter I will post it.
On another note.We have been carrying RTV from December of this past year. We have found that the new ownership of RTV has fix many of the problems they had. We have had few problems with the feed. WHKY handles the schedule of local spots ourselves and have had no problems with them running.

Tom
post #2540 of 11945 Old 06-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojma View Post

I wanted to seek advise from other people who may be having the same problem as me.

I live in Pineville (zip code 28134). I have an Antennas Direct DB8 Antenna on the roof of my house, which is basically an 8 bay antenna. I am also using a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amplifier. I am basically pointing the antenna north between the Concord (NW from me) and Gastonia (NE from me) antenna farms. This setup works great and I am receiving a strong signal from all of the broadcasting antennas at those two locations.

My only problem is with WNSC. The broadcasting antenna is SW from me, so my antenna is not pointed in that direction. Because of this I receive a low signal and the channel comes in unreliably. If I tried to repoint the antenna more in that direction, I would start having problems with all other stations, mainly the ones in the completely opposite direction (NE) in Concord.

I have found that WNSC seems to carry the best PBS content and most HD programs of the three PBS channels in the area, so I really want to improve reception on WNSC.

Does anyone have a similar setup and any suggestions for improving reception?

Quote:

I was looking at the Jointennas:

http://www.warrenelectronics.com/ant...Jointennas.htm

and I don't think that will work as well. For channel 15, I would have to buy the Jointenna for channels 14-29. That would also affect channels 22 (WCNC), 23 (WBTV), and 27 (WCCB), which I don't want.

Quote:

Actually rereading about it, it looks like it may be tuneable as long as there are not any stations next to it (i.e 14 or 16), which there are not. I may give this a go. I think I have an old ChannelMaster Stealth Antenna laying around some where. All I would have to buy is a preamp.

Just an update for those who are interested. I found my old ChannelMaster Stealth Antenna. I ordered and received my ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp and the ChannelMaster Jointenna for Channel 15 from Warren Electronics. Over the weekend I put the anttena in my attic, pointed directly to WNSC, and after making all of the necessary connections, it is working perfectly. Where WNSC's signals use to be between 40%-60%, it is now over 90%. Even better, since I only needed the UHF portion of the antenna for Channel 15, I left off the big "wings" of the Stealth Antenna since they are for the VHF portion. This made the antenna much smaller, sleaker, and easier to put up.

Just FYI, this is then distributed to four different locations around the house.
post #2541 of 11945 Old 06-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhyne11 View Post

I have an Olevia HDTV hooked up only to coaxial cable out of the wall. While Olevia did not advertise this TV as having a qam tuner, I had been able to pick up all my local channels in HD until just recently. The first channel to go away was WCNC/220but I was able to find it on 36.1. Now all the other HD channels that were in the 200 series are gone (WBTV/225, WSOC/235, WCCB/240, etc...). I have rescanned the TV quite a few times over the last two weeks to no avail. Any help would be most appreciated.

This thread is for OTA, not cable. Do a search for the Charlotte/Gastonia TWC thread. Most probably though TWC is either starting to block or scramble the channels so that you need one of their converter boxes to get them. Get an OTA antenna and you won't have to worry about someone blocking your channels.
post #2542 of 11945 Old 06-14-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhyne11 View Post

Quote:

This thread is for OTA, not cable. Do a search for the Charlotte/Gastonia TWC thread. Most probably though TWC is either starting to block or scramble the channels so that you need one of their converter boxes to get them. Get an OTA antenna and you won't have to worry about someone blocking your channels.

They are all still there in clear QAM. I quoted and replied to your post in the TWC Charlotte thread.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
post #2543 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 05:19 AM
A J
Advanced Member

I noticed that FOX HD was on 27-3, the secondary feed on 27-4, and NOAA Weather Radar on 27-5 last night a little after 6:00 PM and it was still that way just before 10:00 PM. However, when FOX News at Ten came on, 27-3 jumped back to 18-1.

That's gotta be confusing to some folks out there in the boonies.

Other than having to redesignate 18-1 as one of my favorites in my TV menu, it is no biggie. I'm just curious about the how and why.

A J
post #2544 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 AM

The PSIP computer probably locked up and it flipped back to 18-1 once it was rebooted.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2545 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

The PSIP computer probably locked up and it flipped back to 18-1 once it was rebooted.- Trip

Nope. Splicer software testing. OK on TSReader OTA..

Bob

post #2546 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 05:34 AM

I stand corrected.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #2547 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I noticed that FOX HD .. I'm just curious about the how and why.A J

AJ, what make-model Tuner / Tv are you using?

Bob

post #2548 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quote:

AJ, what make-model Tuner / Tv are you using?

My TV is a Samsung LN40A550 LCD (2009 model).

I also have a Phillips DVD recorder with digital tuner, but it wasn't on at the time.

A J
post #2549 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My TV is a Samsung LN40A550 LCD (2009 model).
A J

Oh, that explains a lot... I have a sammy here in my office on TWC..there are some intermittent TWC EDGE QAM stream issues, and it changes channels. Happens multiple times a day. Quite annoying. Thanks for info, will pass it on.

Bob

post #2550 of 11945 Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Where ya been hiding Steve?

I lurk a lot in the shadows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement