Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 378Likes

post #2821 of 12224 Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Both WBT radio and WBTV have a great heritage shaped by some very special and beloved personalities over the years. Growing up in the 70s and 80s I fondly remember Doug Mayes, Cloudy McLean, Betty Feezor, Bob Inman, Jim Thacker, and of course Uncle Jim and Fred Kirby. And later Mike McKay and Barbara, and CJ Underwood. And my all time favorite radio personality was Henry Boggan of Hello Henry on WBT. He was a kind, gentle soul, and a class act example of the lack of civility that is evidenced in today's inflammatory talk radio. He could discuss and listen to both sides of an issue without talking down to you or being rude. To him, all callers and listeners were special and equally important. Of today's radio/TV personalities, I like Maureen O'Boyle, Bob and Sheri, John Hancock, Larry Sprinkle, and Jack Roper. I also miss Bill Walker, Vince Coakely and even Harold Johnson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 12224 Old 01-18-2011, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Both WBT radio and WBTV have a great heritage shaped by some very special and beloved personalities over the years. Growing up in the 70s and 80s I fondly remember Doug Mayes, Cloudy McLean, Betty Feezor, Bob Inman, Jim Thacker, and of course Uncle Jim and Fred Kirby. And later Mike McKay and Barbara, and CJ Underwood. And my all time favorite radio personality was Henry Boggan of Hello Henry on WBT. He was a kind, gentle soul, and a class act example of the lack of civility that is evidenced in today's inflammatory talk radio. He could discuss and listen to both sides of an issue without talking down to you or being rude. To him, all callers and listeners were special and equally important. Of today's radio/TV personalities, I like Maureen O'Boyle, Bob and Sheri, John Hancock, Larry Sprinkle, and Jack Roper. I also miss Bill Walker, Vince Coakely and even Harold Johnson.

Having worked at both WSOC-AM and WBT I must say that both were really good experiences. Bill Walker and Harold Johnson stand out as being really nice guys. Herold would always make a big fuss over my wife and baby daughter when I brought them over to say hello. The TV and radio staffs at WSOC were not as close as WBT/WBTV. Maybe it was because at WSOC the two were on opposite ends of the building, WBT/WBTV was a closer nit group.

To me H.A.Thompson could also do calls and like Henry not really take a stand on the issue. Instead he gave the caller a chance to express their opinion. That's not easy to do! I also admire the work Mike Collins does. He does well at anything he tackles.

I came to Charlotte from Miami in 1981 and I couldn't believe how competitive WBTV and WSOC were. I found it much more exciting than anything going on between the Miami stations.
post #2823 of 12224 Old 01-18-2011, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at WSOC radio 1950. Hired as the first TV person... the freeze kept that delayed . Went to WBT in 1956.
The people mentioned were great friends....some still alive and are friends.
Went back to WSOC TV in 1987....what a great day that was.
All of those who were there then....great to work with...Larry Walker, George Henderson....and more.
You had to be at both WBT WBTV and WS0C WS0C TV....during those great days.
The ones who worked at these stations....are outstanding people..
I could go on.....that would take hours to try to present the outstanding persons who owned...and worked at these stations. God opened doors that I could never had opened. God's Perfect Plan... and there is more...we put Billy Graham's stations on the air...1962...... My life...family, wife, children, grandchildren..were fortunate to have worked in so many good stations. I have to say...the Bahakel days...were the worst..ask any who worked there..(Bruce Bowers....Ric Ray...etc...)
If you want to know why....I can present a list of abused managers and personnel who can verify those days. I hope Jim Babb is not a victim of the one who is now the (owner.....by inheritance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2824 of 12224 Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougbell View Post

the one who is now the (owner.....by inheritance)

I get treated much better here than I ever did across town...there are only
20+ of us over here now..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2825 of 12224 Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 AM

(quote) bedofox.....I get treated much better here than I ever did across town...there are only

Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of FOX Network,ABC Network,CBS Network, or my employer or its parent company...Nor my wife for that matter.. (quote)

Bob...it depends on when you were/are there. Both stations have changed....
depends on when you had/have your experience.
I appreciate you constant rhetoric and your not about “ Views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of FOX Network,ABC Network,CBS Network, or my employer or its parent company...Nor my wife for that matter.. (quote))

I never attack an unarmed man.....nor his lack of wit. Let me know how things are...in the years to come... My wife does matter very much. (She was there when I was there. She can relate the times.)

I am tempted to present the words of one former manager....this is not the place.
post #2826 of 12224 Old 01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is MeTV still on track for Charlotte? Or have those plans fallen through? Website looks good...good programming. I hope it is coming soon and doesn't fail to materialize as did Retro TV on WMYT. And Antenna TV would be nice as well...
post #2827 of 12224 Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM

I went to hook our rooftop antenna to our new Vizio XVT553SV and they have put the
connector so hidden and close to cabinet the twin lead adapter, I'm still running
twin lead antenna wire, that the little plastic connector would not go on. So was like
what the heck. I was near Radio Shack the other day and popped in and asked if they
one that was thinner but he said no but I have alternative, a right angle coax adapter
worked like a dream.

I'm just giving a heads up for anyone else that might run into this. I tried to
find the sku # but didn't see the same on I got online. I just found it at
Firefold.com for about a 1/3 what I paid for it.

http://www.firefold.com/RG59U-Right-...1884C1145.aspx

Attachment 198905
LL

Grateful11
post #2828 of 12224 Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Is MeTV still on track for Charlotte? Or have those plans fallen through? Website looks good...good programming. I hope it is coming soon and doesn't fail to materialize as did Retro TV on WMYT. And Antenna TV would be nice as well...

THIS-TV has some good movies - a surprise.

Actually I have found a few good old shows on the internet. After we didn't get Retro-TV on 55 I have about given up hope.
post #2829 of 12224 Old 01-22-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I get treated much better here than I ever did across town...there are only
Much better? fight each other? I use my real name not an aka

bdfox18doe.
post #2830 of 12224 Old 01-22-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Much better? fight each other? I use my real name not an aka

bdfox18doe.

Last I looked he is the Station Engineer and not the Manager, everyone has place's they enjoy working and some don't. With the way the economy is currently those of us working are blessed to have jobs.

For the record 80% of the people on this forum use an aka, nothing wrong with it and no reason to pick a fight because you are bitter about a former place where you or a loved one work.

Rob

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #2831 of 12224 Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Everyone, if you are able to get WOLO in Columbia OTA, do you a re-scan. MeTv is coming soon on WOLO's sub channel 25-4.
post #2832 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I remember watching my Dad take the back off the TV, pull out a bunch of tubes, take them to the drug store tube tester. This seemed to have gone on for years before getting sent to bed just as Star Trek was being aired. In other words, our color set was at least a few years old when Star Trek (1966-1969) was airing. And I remember that most shows were in black and white, and it was a big deal when Disney came on, because that was in color. So in my memory, getting converted to color TV shows took forever.

--Dale--

I remember this as well. In the mid 60s my dad got a deal on a new 25in Sears Silvertone console TV that had been returned by a military family that got xferred to Europe. This TV had multiple dozens of tubes and we would often unscrew the back of the TV, remove the tubes that were not lit, take them down to the drugstore (which also sold tubes) put them in the tube tester, then take home the new tubes to fix it. Imagine something like that today, haha.

This TV had an instant on feature which kept the tubes hot so when you pulled the knob the picture would come right on. I imagine it drew power like water through a sieve, but this was before the first energy crisis. Otherwise, it would take a couple of minutes to come on because it took time for all those tubes to warm up.
post #2833 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevohdftmill View Post

Everyone, if you are able to get WOLO in Columbia OTA, do you a re-scan. MeTv is coming soon on WOLO's sub channel 25-4.

So, if ME-TV is coming to WOLO, is it possible it might also be coming to WCCB?
post #2834 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, if MeTV ends up on WCCB then that means I'm out of luck again, as 18 is the only main Clt channel I seldom get. And never see WOLO. Was hoping to see it on 46, 55, 36, or 3. Maybe it will appear on a GSP station. And maybe yet another channel will eventually decide to pick up Antenna TV. We'll see.
post #2835 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 08:02 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post

Interesting. I did a rescan yesterday (and, rechecked this morning). 18.2 is gone, so maybe WCCB has freed up that sub-channel for MeTV.

AJ
post #2836 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

Interesting. I did a rescan yesterday (and, rechecked this morning). 18.2 is gone, so maybe WCCB has freed up that sub-channel for MeTV.

AJ

If we could get ME TV and Ion in the area that would be a good combination of classic TV and some newer shows.

Rob

post #2837 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I did a rescan yesterday (and, rechecked this morning). 18.2 is gone, AJ

18.2 is still there....It's not a true subchannel anyway..it's a virtual channel...so if it went away that wouldn't make any room..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #2838 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

Last I looked he is the Station Engineer and not the Manager, everyone has place's they enjoy working and some don't. With the way the economy is currently those of us working are blessed to have jobs.

For the record 80% of the people on this forum use an aka, nothing wrong with it and no reason to pick a fight because you are bitter about a former place where you or a loved one work.

Rob

Question? when and where did I say he was the station manager?
post #2839 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Question? when and where did I say he was the station manager?

Exactly..! He is happy were he works and likes how he is treated, there are people I know at WSOC that are the same way, same goes for other TV and Radio stations in the area.

How about stick with OTA reception and the programing on it..? What ever happens behind closed doors at places at work should be kept there. Whatever happened in the past can not be changed, so why dig it up..?

Rob

post #2840 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 AM
mjh

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Suddenly today, 18.1 OTA looks really bad. Where I live, I can pull in 8.1 out of Greensboro and it looks pretty good. Has something changed? I'm looking forward to watching Green Bay @ Chicago and I'd like the better picture that I'm used to. I've tried on multiple TVs and I'm getting the same result.

Is this one of those cases where rescanning the channels is a good idea? If so, why? What changed? The games last week looked fantastic.
post #2841 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post

Suddenly today, 18.1 OTA looks really bad. Where I live, I can pull in 8.1 out of Greensboro and it looks pretty good. Has something changed? I'm looking forward to watching Green Bay @ Chicago and I'd like the better picture that I'm used to. I've tried on multiple TVs and I'm getting the same result.

Is this one of those cases where rescanning the channels is a good idea? If so, why? What changed? The games last week looked fantastic.

8.1 tower is actually near Asheboro
post #2842 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, behind closed door discussions ultimately do affect talent and on air product, so from that perspective the resulting consequences could be worthy of conversation. And the recent turmoil at WCCB has been publicly documented in the Charlotte Observer, although mgmt would not discuss personel matters. But from a viewer standpoint, there is a big change in on air talent going on over there, so there will definitely be an adjustment to the new personalities arriving on local programming. But I am sure they will try and continue to put forth a good product. Hope all goes well. In this day it is hard to find good companies who value and treat there employees well anymore.
post #2843 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just noticed that Friday nights episode of Fringe looked a little off on my DirecTV recording of the HD channel.
Now I turned on the NFC game and the HD looks horrible. What gives???
I have confirmed that OTA and Satellite both look bad. I checked several sets in the house operating on different receivers but same antenna and the HD on Fox is terrible.
I hope someone resolves this quickly before the game.
Who can we call????
Help!!!!
post #2844 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whatever they did with 5+ minutes left in the 1st quarter resolved the issue.
It was bad enough that my mother in law who has bad eyesight could see the difference.
Whoever fixed it - my thanks.
post #2845 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemack View Post

Whoever fixed it - my thanks.

You're Welcome.. at least the popo didn't get me as I flew in from Mint Hill..

Seems our protection switches detected a fault and took the HD off line so you were seeing the upconverted back up feed.

My goodness.. what a week...

Bob

post #2846 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post

Ding!Ding!Ding! You Win the prize!
LL

Bob

post #2847 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Is it replacing the weather or is that moving to an 18-4 that is not on the Hickory transmitter?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2848 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

18.2 is still there....It's not a true subchannel anyway..it's a virtual channel...so if it went away that wouldn't make any room..

Well, whatever it is (and, I always wondered WHY it is!), every time I have scanned channels for the past couple years, 18.2 was there. Yesterday and this morning only 18.1 and 18.3 showed up. And, it isn't a matter of signal strength at my location since WCCB consistently pegs my meter.

This evening, after the game I checked again and 18.2 was back.

Great news about Me-TV being picked up by WCCB. Hopefully that will motivate one the other stations to stay competitive by grabbing Antenna TV.

AJ
post #2849 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Great news about Me-TV being picked up by WCCB. Hopefully that will motivate one the other stations to stay competitive by grabbing Antenna TV...AJ

Well..you just never know what will happen...

Bob

post #2850 of 12224 Old 01-23-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well 46 and 55 should do something different with their duplicate subchannels and Antenna TV would be good. It is nice that WCCB is getting MeTV but disappointing for me because 18 is the only Charlotte channel I really don't receive. I even get 9.1 or 9.5 from about 5pm until 9:30-10am. Which begs the question - does WCCB still have plans for a Crowders mtn signal like WSOC or has that permit expired?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page