Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 378Likes

post #2911 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Originally Posted by blackcat6
They should drop anything that has been on nick & TV land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

There are plenty of potential viewers who do not have Nick and TV Land.

- Trip

Good point, Trip! This is a forum about Charlotte OTA, right? Nick and TV Land are not competing with Me-TV. In my case, I dropped cable in favor of digital OTA for local HDTV and a Roku streaming Netflix for movies.

As for Me-TV's program line-up, about 3/4 of the shows I see listed on their schedule appeal to me. Of course, I'm an old fart who fondly remembers watching all those series when they were first aired. I would guess that most under-30 viewers (e.g. Reality Show watchers) will not be excited by all those oldie TV series.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

, I'm an old fart who fondly remembers watching all those series when they were first aired. AJ

hey..I resemble that remark!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2913 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You wear it well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey I like the lineup even though there are some shows I have seen many times. Bring it on! I'm a fan of free TV. Nick-At-Night and TV Land don't seem to show the old shows anymore. I guess I'll just watch shows on Hulu for now.

Shows I am excited about include: Branded, Bonanza, Big Valley, Get Smart, and Honey West. Overplayed shows would be Cheers and M*A*S*H but it still might be nice to see them once in awhile.
post #2915 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all you OTA guys... is there something going on that's causing reception to be bad? I've checked my antenna and amp, and I can't see anything wrong. But in the last few days my reception is bad.

I'm in Rural Hall, north of Winston-Salem. I get the GSO market stations fine, but before this week I was getting CLT stations very watchable, with barely a stutter. Now they come in, but break up.

I know that sunspots cause bad satellite reception, and foilage can cause bad OTA reception. But this came on too quck to be foliage.

How are you guys getting your out of market stations now? Can you tell see any reduction in signal quality from just a week or so ago?

My setup: CM 4221 in the attic with a rotor. Dish DTVPAL DVR (OTA)

-amos
post #2916 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Come on folks, there's no need for this. Can't we all just compromise and watch MHz Worldview?

- Trip

I like that channel
post #2917 of 12224 Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well according to good old Wikipedia... Me TV now coming 2/3/11 @ 11:30 PM

Fingers crossed....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me-TV
post #2918 of 12224 Old 02-03-2011, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Under Notes it say's Feb.14 2011...

Rob

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #2919 of 12224 Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #2920 of 12224 Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

You can't please everyone...no matter what you do someone won't like the choice. Amazing how some people gripe about something that is free.

About this delay is....why this was not settled by the ones who acted on the behalf of Bahakel...and MeTV....and the details had not been dotted and signed..... conflict of copyright and other local stations owning the possible syndicated programs for exclusive use in the Charlotte area could very well be the problem.

A statement from White or Babb should let the waiting viewers know why the delay.

Unfulfilled expectations or announcements... have been the past for Bahakel. And....also many other stations.
An informed viewer is a better viewer.

Saying you do not have to watch...turn it off...is a very old radio reply. Sometimes...consider the source and ignore it.
The Old programs...often were much more acceptable by the general public.
They are as a good book.....one enjoys reading and re-reading good books...each time you see something you missed the first time. (Many young people have never seen many of the old show.)
Recently UNC TV PBS ran Pioneers of Television...the westerns.
They neglected "Have Gun. Will Travel". One of the best.
In the detective stores...they missed the Dick Powell programs...and the Mickey Spillane series...and Howard Duff.
I see a good future for MeTV... and if possible MeTV old movies.... Will Rogers made good old movies... If man can think it...he can do it.
post #2921 of 12224 Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
Under Notes it say's Feb.14 2011...

Rob
Yeah I noticed that too. I posted Wednesday night, and they had changed it by Thursday morning. It says Valentines Day.... let's hope for the 4th of July
post #2922 of 12224 Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Regarding MeTV on WCCB...earlier today channel 18.3, my DISH Network guide was still showing the MeTV lineup. However this evening, it's gone back to "FoxScan Radar".

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #2923 of 12224 Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post

Regarding MeTV on WCCB...earlier today channel 18.3, my DISH Network guide was still showing the MeTV lineup. However this evening, it's gone back to "FoxScan Radar".

I am looking forward to MeTV, I really like the lineup for the most part. The westerns will be fun to watch since there haven't been any on TV in a long time.

I notice that the RTV affiliates have different line ups on each station. They probably feed everything into a server at each station rather than an actual network. It would be cheaper to do that way too. Amazing how computer technology has changed things.

So who's bringing Antenna TV to town and when it WHKY going to put a decent signal into the Queen City? Is something coming to WBTV 3-3? There is still a blank carrier showing up there. Hummmm....
post #2924 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

I notice that the RTV affiliates have different line ups on each station. They probably feed everything into a server at each station rather than an actual network.

All the affiliate lineups come via satellite from the hub in Chattanooga.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2925 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 05:25 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Quote:

Is something coming to WBTV 3-3? There is still a blank carrier showing up there. Hummmm....

I have wondered the same thing. For months TitanTV has listed 3-3 as "WBTV-WX (WBTV-DT3 Charlotte, N.C. (Weather))".

AJ
post #2926 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is something coming to WBTV 3-3? There is still a blank carrier showing up there. Hummmm....

Me Thinks You need a Re-scan...
LL

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #2927 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know if Me-TV's Wikipedia page is accurate stating that it will start on WCCB on February 14. I just checked WCCB 18.3 on TitanTV's guide (which can be viewed at FoxCharlotte.com) and it shows Me-TV's schedule starting on that day, so that's could be where the Wikipedia user who made the change got their information from.

I have been looking forward to Me-TV launching on WCCB and I REALLY hope these contractual issues can be worked out soon. There are several shows on there that I watched on TV Land in the late '90s and I would enjoy seeing them again (and I was in middle school then!). However, I do agree with others that WCCB's 24/7 Weather is BY FAR the best on Charlotte OTA and I will miss it.
post #2928 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Me Thinks You need a Re-scan...
Scanned yesterday when the TiVo came. While it's not in the active channels it comes up in the list (I might have deleted it) and shows a signal on 3-3. Go figure!
post #2929 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
As of 6pm Friday, WBTV is not running a 3-3 stream, There are no PIDS, no VCT info. If you are seeing 3-3, you need to reset and then rescan.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
Fellow - Society of Broadcast Engineers
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD
Amateur Radio - W9SOC
post #2930 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
As of 6pm Friday, WBTV is not running a 3-3 stream, There are no PIDS, no VCT info. If you are seeing 3-3, you need to reset and then rescan.
Ted,

I see the same problem with my Directv receiver with 3.3
Has been there along time with no data to support it.
Agree that nothing is on the WBTV stream to support the channel.
My guess is that Tribune Media was never stopped from providing the guide data when they stopped using the channel for weather.

Tom
post #2931 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
I am looking forward to MeTV, I really like the lineup for the most part. The westerns will be fun to watch since there haven't been any on TV in a long time.

I notice that the RTV affiliates have different line ups on each station. They probably feed everything into a server at each station rather than an actual network. It would be cheaper to do that way too. Amazing how computer technology has changed things.

So who's bringing Antenna TV to town and when it WHKY going to put a decent signal into the Queen City? Is something coming to WBTV 3-3? There is still a blank carrier showing up there. Hummmm....

Folks,
Regarding WHKY TV Signal to Charlotte.
CP runs out Sept 2011. Project is on schedule, and will meet the permit obligations. Remember this is a DTS not a translator. It is all part of the Hickory Baker Mountain Project.

Tom
post #2932 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post

Agree that nothing is on the WBTV stream to support the channel.
My guess is that Tribune Media was never stopped from providing the guide data when they stopped using the channel for weather.

Ted & Tom are correct. If I am correct, the Tivo scans the RF channel then downloads the data that Tribune is providing.

BTW, WBTV is currently running 1 HD stream and 1 SD stream..plus ATSC M/H...it's doubtful they will add another SD channel. tho it is always possible..

Bob

post #2933 of 12224 Old 02-04-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy919 View Post

However, I do agree with others that WCCB's 24/7 Weather is BY FAR the best on Charlotte OTA and I will miss it.

WCCB-WX will still be available via ATSC M/H..See:

http://www.mobile-dtv-viewer.com/

Bob

post #2934 of 12224 Old 02-05-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ted & Tom are correct. If I am correct, the Tivo scans the RF channel then downloads the data that Tribune is providing.

BTW, WBTV is currently running 1 HD stream and 1 SD stream..plus ATSC M/H...it's doubtful they will add another SD channel. tho it is always possible..

I am only picking up 2 on TS Reader: Program PID 48-Program 3
Program Pid 64-Program 4

TCVT defines 2 channel(s)

Rob

post #2935 of 12224 Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amos1001 View Post

Hey all you OTA guys... is there something going on that's causing reception to be bad? I've checked my antenna and amp, and I can't see anything wrong. But in the last few days my reception is bad.

I'm in Rural Hall, north of Winston-Salem. I get the GSO market stations fine, but before this week I was getting CLT stations very watchable, with barely a stutter. Now they come in, but break up.

I know that sunspots cause bad satellite reception, and foilage can cause bad OTA reception. But this came on too quck to be foliage.

How are you guys getting your out of market stations now? Can you tell see any reduction in signal quality from just a week or so ago?

My setup: CM 4221 in the attic with a rotor. Dish DTVPAL DVR (OTA)

-amos

I have noticed the same although I am running a monoprice indoor antenna from Tega Cay SC outside of Fort Mill SC.

I am not picking up PBS 58 and 9 either. I am actually thinking now of running an attic antenna.

This is the simple monoprice antenna have been using for a year.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #2936 of 12224 Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TegaCayCard View Post

I have noticed the same although I am running a monoprice indoor antenna from Tega Cay SC outside of Fort Mill SC.
I am not picking up PBS 58 and 9 either. I am actually thinking now of running an attic antenna.
This is the simple monoprice antenna have been using for a year.

I can imagine that from Tega Cay, WUNG would be difficult to pick up with that antenna. Those kinds of antennas are optimized more for looks than reception. WUNG 58 transmits on UHF channel 44 at relatively weak transmission power compared to most stations in this area. I sometimes wonder if UNC is shortchanging Charlotte with this station. Their station in Raleigh operates at 5X the transmission power.

Still it should be possible for you to pick it up with a decent UHF antenna though it will depend upon any obstructions that are between your property and the transmitter. (NE of you) You can go to tvfool.com to get more info on the specifics of your location. As for 9, you should be able to get it so I an only guess that you are getting some sort of reflection that is preventing the receiver from locking on. A better antenna would help to fix this too. You might also find that moving the antenna away from the TV can improve things considerably.

If you want to do a little experimenting and are a little handy, i recommend building one of these:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124542 I constructed one of these and was surprised at how well it worked in Charlotte. I did modify it slightly with an additional element to pick up WTVI since it transmits on VHF, but you may not need to do this. In either case, it will give you an idea of what is possible before you sink some money into it.
post #2937 of 12224 Old 02-06-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post

I can imagine that from Tega Cay, WUNG would be difficult to pick up with that antenna. Those kinds of antennas are optimized more for looks than reception. WUNG 58 transmits on UHF channel 44 at relatively weak transmission power compared to most stations in this area. I sometimes wonder if UNC is shortchanging Charlotte with this station. Their station in Raleigh operates at 5X the transmission power.

Still it should be possible for you to pick it up with a decent UHF antenna though it will depend upon any obstructions that are between your property and the transmitter. (NE of you) You can go to tvfool.com to get more info on the specifics of your location. As for 9, you should be able to get it so I an only guess that you are getting some sort of reflection that is preventing the receiver from locking on. A better antenna would help to fix this too. You might also find that moving the antenna away from the TV can improve things considerably.

If you want to do a little experimenting and are a little handy, i recommend building one of these:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124542 I constructed one of these and was surprised at how well it worked in Charlotte. I did modify it slightly with an additional element to pick up WTVI since it transmits on VHF, but you may not need to do this. In either case, it will give you an idea of what is possible before you sink some money into it.

He should be able to pick WUNG with a half way decent antenna,output power is not everything in equation; you have to factor in the heigh above average terrain,frequency,antenna gain,etc. WTVI has less power output than WTVI. For the UNCC area including WTVI,WSOC, and WCCB WUNG has the overall height advantage. Not sure above sea level height but someone else can chime in about that, but it's got a prety good shot of the area in Harrisburg off 49.

Coverage area shows pretty well with the right antenna.

Rob

post #2938 of 12224 Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Atmospheric conditions and varying weather systems affect reception and signal strength. Recently, my signal strength has been down on several channels, but no loss of reception. WCNC-36 and WJZY-46 are normally 8 bars, but last few days have fluctuated between 6, 7, 8 bars. 9.1 usually comes in at night, but recently has been dropping out, although 9.5 is still coming in at night. WBTV-3 still a solid 10 bars. 13-WLOS always 6 to 8 bars; 4 and 7 still about 8-10. In Greenville, SC here.
post #2939 of 12224 Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Funny it does not look like the Weather Radar is on 18.3 , wonder what channel they are showing..?

Rob

post #2940 of 12224 Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Probably just the mandated E/I, assuming nothing's changed regarding MeTV.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page