Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know when this new channel will be up & running?I live in Williston & trying to get Wesh 2 is difficult over the air Analog & digital almost never except when the rain & wind seem to help it's signal this way.Getting NBC from Gainesville would be great especially cause I have to waste so much disk space & bandwidth from torrents to get to see shows on NBC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 AM

An article in the Gainesville Sun said that per FCC filings Channel 9 is scheduled to begin broadcasting this Monday, but there is still no word on whether the station has a network affiliation agreement or any other independent programming. The article said if there is no avaiable programming, there is a possibility Channel 9 would petition the FCC to go live at a later date.
post #1743 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Please check channel 9. I hear rumors there might be signal testing. Put in 9-1 or 9-3 on your receiver, check for signal.

Just because it's not there now, doesn't mean it hasn't been there at all--they could be turning it on and off as things get adjusted. Or, the rumors I'm hearing could be false.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM

This afternoon in Old Town, about 30 west of Newberry, I'm seeing a little activity on 9-1. Not enough signal for a lock. I'm using a CM 4228 UHF only antenna.
post #1745 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Ok. Hooked up my vhf antenna and they are definitely on the air! Yea!!
post #1746 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostar View Post

Ok. Hooked up my vhf antenna and they are definitely on the air! Yea!!

But what are they on the air with?

[edit:] I checked. It's just a screen that says WNBW-DT, Channel 9, Gainesville. Appears to have some sort of countdown too. I'm getting it in NW Gville with a Philips silver sensor antenna in the attic.
post #1747 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM

Can someone get me a picture of what they're transmitting? I'd love to see the test slide. =)

Also, is it mapping to 9-1? Does it have a PSIP call sign? (Like, tuning to 51-1 might show WOGX-DT or WOGX-HD or something like that)

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1748 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 PM

post #1749 of 3464 Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM

Thanks!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1750 of 3464 Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM

I am able to get the channel here in Williston.I hope it is NBC that'd be great 4 me.
post #1751 of 3464 Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got tired of staring at my almost never used laptop computer, so I ordered a Hauppauge 950Q to hopefully turn it into an HD-PVR. I'll post my experiences with the QAM portion of it as that's all I'll probably use it for with a ReplayTV covering the rest of my PVR needs.
post #1752 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 AM

WNBW was supposed to go live today. Just checked and they still just have the test slide up.
post #1753 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 PM

As of 4pm, still just a test slide.
post #1754 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM

Hey folks is it just me or is anyone else not getting much of a signal?I just bought a new antenna for 130mile range & all I get on 9.1 9.2 9.3 is a fluctuating signal of about 12-15 scale not enough to get a picture & this started before I bought new antenna.BTW I'm in Williston Fl.
post #1755 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFWE1ATNET View Post

Hey folks is it just me or is anyone else not getting much of a signal?I just bought a new antenna for 130mile range & all I get on 9.1 9.2 9.3 is a fluctuating signal of about 12-15 scale not enough to get a picture & this started before I bought new antenna.BTW I'm in Williston Fl.

The transmitter is right outside of Newberry, so point in roughly towards the northwest. It should be at full power now.
post #1756 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:

You could be seeing interference from WFTV analog in Orlando. The other possibility is that you are on the weak side of the antenna, so you're not getting as much power as some others. Those two factors combined could be causing your problem.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1757 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 04:03 PM

If they haven't come on by now today, I doubt they're coming on anytime soon.
post #1758 of 3464 Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody know yet if WNBW is going to be an NBC affiliate? (ignoring the call letters for the moment)

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #1759 of 3464 Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I'm in Alachua with a 50' tower and it comes in fine, even with the antenna pointing to the Jax area. I'm surprised you have problems from Williston.
post #1760 of 3464 Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

Anybody know yet if WNBW is going to be an NBC affiliate? (ignoring the call letters for the moment)

- Tom

I'm one of the ones wishing for this also. While I can get analog 12 from Jax fine, the digital signal is about the weakest one for me now, except for 21.

I spoke with a couple of folks over at WGFL (parent company for 9 and GFL is same), spoke with an engineer one day and a programming person on another day. I have been told that the talks with NBC are 'on-going'. The engineer guy said if they do go the NBC route, that the build out will take longer because of certain network requirements. Last week speaking with the programming lady, she re-iterated the on-going nature of talks with NBC and she said it probably would be around the start of the new year before any real programming goes on, whatever network it ends up being.

I know from Budd Broadcasting that they were also trying to vie for a repeater signal from WESH on the other new station (WSSH 26), but hadn't been able to swing that deal. BTW, 26 is now off the air.
post #1761 of 3464 Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Man, this freaking bites. As a Dish subscriber, I was really hoping to have HD NBC in time for Heroes and the Office.
post #1762 of 3464 Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

As I mentioned I'd do, here's a quick write up of my experiences with a Hauppauge 950Q USB HDTV Tuner and Cox Cable here in Gainesville. I've had a laptop sitting around not doing much for a while, so I figured I'd turn it into a PVR for HD channels to supplement by ReplayTV on the SD stuff. I wanted a USB or Firewire device obviously, and it had to have a QAM tuner since that's what I watch.

Install was a breeze. I always grab the latest drivers from a website, and the scheduler application which lets you schedule recordings was on another tab on their website download page, but other than hunting for that for a few minutes everything else installed on Vista just fine. The laptop is a Gateway MX8734, Pentium dual core T2060 1.6GHz with a Mobile Intel 943GML Express graphics chipset. I'm thinking 2GB RAM, *might* be 3. It's off right now and I'm lazy 17 inch widescreen display.

The initial scan for channels only picked up 2 of the 5 networks I was looking for, and adding new channels manually was a little odd. You type the channel number in (like 108) then let it scan for subchannels. It found the ones it was missing once I had typed in 107 and 108 since they're all there. I renamed them to be the appropriate network names, watched some live TV through their application for doing so (Win TV) then scheduled a recording of Fringe since it had already started.

While it was recording, Task Manager indicated 50-80% CPU utilization, although in all honesty I didn't look to see if that was one CPU, an average of both, or what. I let it finish recording as I was too scared to try to watch the beginning while it was recording the rest One irritating thing I need to research is that the screen never went to screen saver mode the whole time (it did after the recording stopped at the end of the show and after the 10 minute timeout I have on the screen saver kicked in.) Kinda bugs me that my laptop screen is blazing that whole time. I need to see if there's a way I can have it shut off without compromising recording ability. I watched a few minutes of the recording that night through their Win TV app and through Windows Media Player and I swore there was some slight audio sync issues through WMP.

The next night, I took the stick out, took the laptop to my couch and proceeded to watch Fringe as recorded. I couldn't use the built in Win TV as it wants the hardware present even to watch a file. So I fired up WMP again and this time there was no audio sync issue present. Quality seemed great, no glitches except the odd frame here and there (maybe three times the whole hour and a half) and for all I know that was a broadcast error (Fox isn't always the clearest around here.) Based on what I've read and my one data point with Fringe, I expect recordings to take up about 5-6 GB an hour.

All in all, very pleased. Been wanting to record football games in HD and this will be a perfect way to utilize aforementioned lonely laptop. Can also record the occasional show I like watching like Sarah Conner Chronicles and Family Guy (yeah I know, not HD) and take the laptop out to the living room and watch it while my son does his thing nearby so he isn't subjected to my brand of entertainment

Supposedly the scheduler can link up with Titan TV so you can use the Titan TV website to mark things to record and every so often it will sync up with the scheduler (or I suppose rather the scheduler will sync up with the website) and schedule those recordings for you. Haven't gotten around to trying that yet.

Okay so that wasn't as brief as I had hoped. I'm gonna get a sandwich now.

--
Daniel
post #1763 of 3464 Old 09-14-2008, 01:29 AM

Hi guys as far as that signal being so bad for wnbw as odd as it might seem pointing my antenna here in Williston toward hard east gives the best signal.Weird area I presume as I do have some tree issues & some proximity to a cell tower as well.One would think with a 130mile antenna with a 30db booster amp I might get WESH2 clearly but it's not the case.I'm not one to waste money on Satellite or Cable seeing as how most shows are available for download online in good enough quality.Though not 720p I can get decent divx copies of shows I like.The experts in this area (not many & I'm thinking I might have a few years experience on them) tell me WESH2 is only available in HD on cold or just after rainy days & that depending on wind conditions reguardless of what size antenna or tower U have.Watching HDTV on my computer is great & not expensive (myself being a bit of a miser) but being limited to ABC,CBS,FOX and PBS is tiresome.Anyone know of a setup someone here in Williston has that they get WESH2 or even Tallahassee or Tampa NBC let me know I'd appreciate the help.
post #1764 of 3464 Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure what "not expensive" means to you but for 14 a month from Cox you get limited basic and can QAM tune the HD versions of ABC, FOX, PBS, NBC, CBS.
post #1765 of 3464 Old 09-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler View Post

Not sure what "not expensive" means to you but for 14 a month from Cox you get limited basic and can QAM tune the HD versions of ABC, FOX, PBS, NBC, CBS.

All of those but NBC are available with a $20 antenna. So that's $14/month for NBC amd soon we may have NBC OTA too. I guess if you want whatever other channels Cox includes for the $14 then maybe it's worth it.
post #1766 of 3464 Old 09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

They aren't available consistently for me in NW Gville via a 20 dollar antenna (and Lord knows I've tried lol)
post #1767 of 3464 Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:

They aren't available consistently for me in NW Gville via a 20 dollar antenna (and Lord knows I've tried lol)

I'm in NW Gville, also. I tried some other antenna before and could only get CBS and PBS, and just barely. The right antenna makes all the difference. I have the "Philips PM-HDTV1 Silver Sensor HDTV Indoor Antenna". Ok, so it's $25 on Amazon. I know two others with the same antenna in NW Gville picking up all the locals.

When Fay was rolling through, it did create some interference trying to watch Fox but it was tolerable. Otherwise, it's generally solid.
post #1768 of 3464 Old 09-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Well I live in Williston and their "basic" from Comcast is decidedly more about $35.00 monthly & I guess I'm too cheap to spend that when that is what I would be putting into savings instead.After 12 months $35.00 becomes $420.00 a year to go towards maybe a newer faster processor or more memory or maybe a medical emergency maybe.
post #1769 of 3464 Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:

What tuner are you using?

I have been working with a new tuner card for an htpc I am trying to build. It's stunning how poor the reception on it is vs. my standalone samsung dtb260hf. The latter picks up all the 'major' signals with no problems using an indoor antenna. The tuner card, a dvico fusionhdtv7 dual express, can barely lock in PBS with the same antenna in the same place.

So I think there is more to it than just what type of antenna you have and where you've put it.
post #1770 of 3464 Old 09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

I have the Silver Sensor as my antenna, and I had been using an Accurian something-or-other as the tuner, as well as having tried the tuner built into my Toshiba HDTV. It was odd, as I would find a spot to put the antenna to get most channels, then I could get the rest by rotating it 90 degrees and I was happy. Then like two weeks would go by, and all of a sudden no amount of fidgeting would get me my signals so I'd go find a new spot and be happy. Then some more time would go by and again I'd "lose" the magic. I finally gave up and went QAM, oddly enough with the Samsung box you mentioned since local Cox has known problems with some Toshiba QAM tuners. I'm happy paying 14 / mo. as I also get the SD versions of the channels as well as things like WGN, TBS, etc. for recording via my ReplayTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page