318Likes

post #7591 of 9561 Old 01-17-2015, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
As long as they show local weather radar every so often I'll be happy.
I remember WFAA back when they had the DFW Airport towercam on .3 and Xpress 8.2. Those were the good days of Dallas DTV for me. They need to do that again. Drop AccuWeather and Justice Network and bring back the towercam and Xpress 8.2.

Forecaster for Decatur, Texas Storm Team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 9561 Old 01-17-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeboy67 View Post
I remember WFAA back when they had the DFW Airport towercam on .3 and Xpress 8.2....
Yes I remember that, used to put on the airport cam channel when there was nothing else on to watch.
Ch 4 had 4.2 full time weather radar on at the time too, I think...

Is that a Sony TV?
post #7593 of 9561 Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Yes I remember that, used to put on the airport cam channel when there was nothing else on to watch.
Ch 4 had 4.2 full time weather radar on at the time too, I think...

Is that a Sony TV?
Yes they did. And KXAS had Weather Plus, or if you're really into post 2010 programming, NBC+. K31GL had TheCoolTV, which I watched constantly. And the TV's a Sharp. Has a decent tuner in it, but got tired of switching between HDMI and the tuner so I broke down and bought the MT2 module for Dish Network receivers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7594 of 9561 Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ah yes... TheCoolTV. I still have about 4 hrs of that saved on a DTVPal DVR. Last time I looked at their website stations were very few. I watched it a lot too, and so did friends. Seemed like a great idea.
post #7595 of 9561 Old 01-17-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
According to my lineup, it looks like it may debut at 12pm on Tuesday. But, I am not sure on if they'll switch 8.2 from AccuWeather to WeatherNation.
That's what Zap2It.com shows too (generic "Justice Network," no specific shows), so I guess Dish uses Tribune's guide.

But Rovi's guide (from my DVR+) shows Live Well programming until 10 PM Tues., when the first recognizable Justice Network show airs: Psychic Detectives.
post #7596 of 9561 Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Ah yes... TheCoolTV. I still have about 4 hrs of that saved on a DTVPal DVR. Last time I looked at their website stations were very few. I watched it a lot too, and so did friends. Seemed like a great idea.
It was probably the best thing to watch on OTA TV in the Dallas area for a while. K31GL was my first experience with LDTV and I kind of liked having a low power reach out this far in the boonies which is why I watched it a lot; heck, I remember watching crime shows on KHPK back in the early 2000s. Low power TV will probably live on in a quarter part of me because of all of the failed LPs out there in Dallas. KHFD, KVFW, KHPK, KLEG, etc, I don't think anybody watches those stations anymore. I rarely watch K31GL-D (what my DTVPal read the first time it came on) anymore after TheCoolTV left. I tried for a little to watch RTV on K31GL, but never got into it. After all of the decent stations left the air, the only thing I had left for OTA TV was DXing. I have not given up on it yet because it my surprise me sooner or later.

post #7597 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TheCoolTV that I have recorded from a year ago, 1/17/13 was on 28.2 "GUIDETV". That's what was saved in the info. Watching it now. Still pretty cool!
post #7598 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A new diginet called LAFF is being launched on ABC stations: http://deadline.com/2015/01/laff-net...ps-1201352773/

I wonder if WFAA will pick it up.
post #7599 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe, but probably not at first:

Quote:
The network will premiere on ABC-owned TV stations in eight markets – including Los Angeles, Chicago and New York – and 13 more on stations owned by E.W. Scripps, including Detroit, Phoenix and Tampa.
WFAA isn't owned by either ABC or Scripps. However, I'm sure LAFF will be looking to expand, and DFW is a big market - so if the network takes off, they'll probably show up here eventually.
post #7600 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
For those wondering if Gannett is going touch The AccuWeather Network on WFAA-DT2, it seems that the only change they are making to the subchannel lineup is taking away LiveWell and putting on The Justice Network. According to my lineup, it looks like it may debut at 12pm on Tuesday. But, I am not sure on if they'll switch 8.2 from AccuWeather to WeatherNation. IMO, I would prefer WeatherNation over AccuWeather. I had them back in May of 2010 when Dish decided to black The Weather Channel out.
How are you getting Dish guide info on the Dot channels? Outside of x.1 I don't get any Dish info in my guide. All the other Dots simply state "Digital Service" on my Dish guide.
post #7601 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr L View Post
How are you getting Dish guide info on the Dot channels? Outside of x.1 I don't get any Dish info in my guide. All the other Dots simply state "Digital Service" on my Dish guide.
You have to scroll all the way to the end of the guide period and a prompt should pop up and it should say, "Program information is outdated...." and it should say, Yes, Cancel or No. Hit yes.

post #7602 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You have to scroll all the way to the end of the guide period and a prompt should pop up and it should say, "Program information is outdated...." and it should say, Yes, Cancel or No. Hit yes.

Not on my VIP222K it doesn't. There have been times I have had this prompt and then I get everything updated but those Dot channels. I have never seen info outside of x.1 on my OTA signals.
post #7603 of 9561 Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr L View Post
Not on my VIP222K it doesn't. There have been times I have had this prompt and then I get everything updated but those Dot channels. I have never seen info outside of x.1 on my OTA signals.
Huh, never had any experience with the 222k. I just know that the 722k gives me this prompt and that's it. I would keep checking back each day to see if it changes and gives you a prompt.

post #7604 of 9561 Old 01-19-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think you only get all the sub-channels if your Dish receiver also has an ATSC receiver (my receiver doesn't, so I don't get the sub-channels either; but I'm assuming it works like DirecTV with the AM21 ATSC receiver add-on).

Looks like their guide info comes from Tribune; it matches Zap2It.com and WMC's guide pretty closely
post #7605 of 9561 Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I think you only get all the sub-channels if your Dish receiver also has an ATSC receiver (my receiver doesn't, so I don't get the sub-channels either; but I'm assuming it works like DirecTV with the AM21 ATSC receiver add-on).

Looks like their guide info comes from Tribune; it matches Zap2It.com and WMC's guide pretty closely
You are correct regarding DirecTV with the AM21.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #7606 of 9561 Old 01-19-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I got Dish 5 years ago I bought a MT2 OTA module, but never used it. Found out if I don't subscribe to local channels it either won't work or there's no guide info for the locals. I have an old grandfathered deal with Dish, no local channels a little cheaper. Anyway they got my money about a year before that for a Dish DTVPal DVR which sits atop the 722.
post #7607 of 9561 Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Isn't that the dumbest thing? You have to subscribe to Dish's local channel satellite feed even though you're going to get the local channels OTA with their module! Or you could buy the DTVPal instead, which at the time offered a week-long OTA channel guide completely for free with no subscription at all!

The only advantage of the satellite receiver module was a single integrated guide instead of separate guides for satellite and OTA. But even $5/mo. seems like an awful lot to ask just to combine two guides into one
post #7608 of 9561 Old 01-19-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Huh, never had any experience with the 222k. I just know that the 722k gives me this prompt and that's it. I would keep checking back each day to see if it changes and gives you a prompt.
I'll add I have unplugged, reset and updated the guide. I get locals (I'm told it is simply part of the service) and use my MT2. I always get guide info but only on the primary channel never on anything other than .1 I thought that was just the way it is. I may need to take this question on Dish Forum.
post #7609 of 9561 Old 01-19-2015, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I remember WFAA back when they had the DFW Airport towercam on .3 and Xpress 8.2. Those were the good days of Dallas DTV for me. They need to do that again. Drop AccuWeather and Justice Network and bring back the towercam and Xpress 8.2.

But.................That would be a Public Service ............ Not in their game plan.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #7610 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
ATTENTION CLASSIC TV FANS!

Do you like/miss the old Mark Goodson game shows like Family Feud, Password, Match Game, To Tell The Truth, etc.

Well, guess what? KDFW Fox 4 is activating its 4-2 channel this summer, and it's a new channel from Fremantle Media North America (makers of Idol and Price) called BUZZR TV!

Expected launch date is sometime this summer. Sure will beat the heck out of that new Justice channel that 8-3 will carry! (Anyways, it's always nice to see some more free retro networks.)

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...america/137216

dtv_junkie87
See The Light likes this.
post #7611 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
More likely than this new network appearing on 4-2 is it replacing Bounce TV on 27-3 when that service moves to KUVN later this year.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7612 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I live in Frisco and 3 weeks ago installed 60 + range antenna on the roof. For the last 3 weeks I was getting K31GL-D Retro TV in at a nice strong 82p ercent signal. Yesterday the picture starts going to black. Off and on the signal would come in and out. This morning it's completely OUT and can't even pull in a scan. Is anyone else having issues with all the tier K31GL-D channels today? I have no contact for the station to see if they are doing work on the towers or what, but it's very frustrating! Thanks!
post #7613 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Fisher View Post
I live in Frisco and 3 weeks ago installed 60 + range antenna on the roof. For the last 3 weeks I was getting K31GL-D Retro TV in at a nice strong 82 percent signal. Yesterday the picture starts going to black. Off and on the signal would come in and out. This morning it's completely OUT and can't even pull in a scan. Is anyone else having issues with all the tier K31GL-D channels today? I have no contact for the station to see if they are doing work on the towers or what, but it's very frustrating! Thanks!
Take a look here -- they've been off during the time period you cited:

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sign...tuner0/K31GL-D

I have no idea what's going on there. I just track the signals with a continual scan.

...later, after looking at a number of other stations, it may be some severe atmospheric conditions in the form of tropo from the south hammering on the D/FW facilities. Even WFAA was subjected to QRM from co-channel KUHT in Houston. The warm temperatures brought in a number of signals from points south (Houston, Victoria and Waco) over the past 24 hours:

http://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?r...tzone=CT&unit=

Last edited by re_nelson; 01-20-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Noted tropo conditions
post #7614 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 09:46 AM

Thanks so much Re_Nelson! I had never heard of that site. Glad to know it's not me. Hopefully it's a temporary black out.
post #7615 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks so much Re_Nelson! I had never heard of that site. Glad to know it's not me. Hopefully it's a temporary black out.
Since the data is acquired from Frisco, not far from Collin College/Preston Ridge, it's useful for that part of the D/FW area. This is the link I generally keep open 24/7 on a browser tab to get an idea of all station signals in the last hour:

http://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?r...tzone=CT&unit=

It looks like the tropo is tapering off so the low powered facilities are recovering from getting the strong interference from points south.
post #7616 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I noticed trouble with K31GL last night when my recording of Dr. Who lasted only 19 minutes. Watching it was interesting as large parts were missing. The start credits for both half hours and the intro to the following show were present along with parts of Dr. Who. Very odd. A live check later in the evening produced a "No Service" message. I have just started monitoring data on the local stations using a Silicondust HDHR4. Checking my log for yesterday I see that the signal strength was steady at 59 +/-1 while signal quality was in the range of 44 to 48.

I have a slightly different angle on the towers than Frisco since I am in Kennedale (Arlington actually but Kennedale narrows the location a bit better.)

So while there might have been interference problems, I think this was caused by problems at the station.
post #7617 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
I noticed trouble with K31GL last night when my recording of Dr. Who lasted only 19 minutes. Watching it was interesting as large parts were missing. The start credits for both half hours and the intro to the following show were present along with parts of Dr. Who. Very odd. A live check later in the evening produced a "No Service" message. I have just started monitoring data on the local stations using a Silicondust HDHR4. Checking my log for yesterday I see that the signal strength was steady at 59 +/-1 while signal quality was in the range of 44 to 48.

I have a slightly different angle on the towers than Frisco since I am in Kennedale (Arlington actually but Kennedale narrows the location a bit better.)

So while there might have been interference problems, I think this was caused by problems at the station.
Well yes I was looking forward to Doctor WHo this evening too. However I just got home from work and did a rescan, and I STILL can't get Retro TV. There is no signal whattsover. Even though the Rabbit Ears site says there should be a fairly good signal. In cases like this that appears to be the station's fault, there is no way to get a hold of the station I assume? I have only had an antenna for 3 weeks and already I am totally exasperated!

Schultz are you getting any signal right now?
post #7618 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Schultz are you getting any signal right now?
The 7PM recording failed to start which is usually an indication of no signal. Or no program. I checked a few minutes after 7PM and after seeing the recording failed to start I tuned to 31.4 and there was Tom Baker. I started recording and it went until 8PM. I haven't looked to see what is there yet.

A quick look at the HDHR4 signal logs shows a consistent 58-59 signal strength for the last hour. So there has been a steady RF signal which means that the problem is with the digital data being sent to the transmitter.
post #7619 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm receiving K31GL 31.4 just fine... "73-74" or so on my DTVPal DVR's signal meter, which is actually a bit higher than usual. Usually 68-70.
post #7620 of 9561 Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 PM

I whipped up a quick plot of the data for K31GL up till 8PM. ss is the signal strength, snq is signal quality, and seq is supposed to be uncorrected errors. Time is in UTC so it is off by six hours from CST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page