AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Regarding #2 , earlier I speculated that KTXD would drop Stadium (47.1) to SD in order to fit everything in. But the FCC regulation requires the ATSC 1.0 signal to contain "substantially similar" content to the ATSC 3.0 signal. I take that to mean they won't drop either the resolution or any subchannels of KTXD/47 (except maybe SBN on 47.5, which is already available on KFWD/52 anyway) on the newly-shared KDAF/KTXD signal. But Antenna and This are both popular subchannels, and they certainly won't drop CW (33.1) to SD! (They might drop it to 720p though.)
You're misunderstanding the "substantially similar" rule. There is no requirement on resolution, only on programming. By your definition, a station could never run 4K on ATSC 3.0 because ATSC 1.0 cannot run 4K. Additionally, the "substantially similar" rule only applies to the main programming stream, not subchannels.

Quote:
But two HD channels and five SD subchannels on a single ATSC 1.0 signal is still a very tight fit. I'll be fascinated to learn how they manage it. It looks like we don't have long to wait though.
Fox is already doing 2xHD and 6xSD in Charlotte. WTVQ in Lexington does 2xHD and 5xSD. It's already out there.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8882 of 9561 Old 07-13-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
In that case, my original speculation still stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Fox is already doing 2xHD and 6xSD in Charlotte. WTVQ in Lexington does 2xHD and 5xSD. It's already out there.
Probably not an ideal situation though. Since it's allowed, it might be better to drop Stadium to SD, rather than trying to maintain HD and having programming that breaks up into a sea of macroblocks every time an action scene airs (a common frustration I've encountered watching This, or MeTV back in the "old days," when it was on KTXD/47).
post #8883 of 9561 Old 07-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
For the past week or so, there has been around 13 to 14 vertical black noise lines on KTXA21.2. At first, I thought they were film negative scratches, but then they continued in several different series. Anyone else experiencing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8884 of 9561 Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
For the past week or so, there has been around 13 to 14 vertical black noise lines on KTXA21.2. At first, I thought they were film negative scratches, but then they continued in several different series. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes I've noticed these vertical lines at least since last Saturday.

I also seem to have worse than normal signal degradation this Summer for KTXA the past couple weeks. I'm on the fringe at 70 miles - I still usually get solid signal most of the time, but the heat and some recent storms have undoubtedly had some effect. Yet it still seems somehow worse than usual with frequent macroblocking and dropouts.
skypirate likes this.
post #8885 of 9561 Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Start TV coming 9/3 to KTVT-DT 11.3

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-...emale-diginet/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8886 of 9561 Old 08-05-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KVFW/38 woes continue

Filed with the FCC 7/5:
Quote:
As previously indicated the Station had a transmitter failure on January 31st. Licensee sent the part to the vendor for repair. The vendor has been unable to repair the malfunctioning part. In addition, the licensee was displaced in the spectrum auction and filed a displacement application for a new channel which remains pending. Even if repaired, the existing transmitter could not be used for the new channel. As such, licensee does not want to invest in a new transmitter until its displacement application is granted and it is certain what channel it will be on.
So the RF 38 transmitter can't be fixed, and they don't want to buy a new one because they'll either have to move to RF 7 or arrange channel sharing with someone - in either case, a new RF 38 transmitter would be useless. (It might be tunable to another UHF station, but not to VHF, and all the UHF channels below 37 are taken).

So, here's what I don't understand. There's an ATSC 1.0 carrier on RF 38 right now! It seems to have been on the air since mid-Feb.: https://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sig...tuner0/KVFW-LD

It seems to be just a carrier, with zero channels; but if KVFW's transmitter is kaput, then who is that? If it is KVFW, are they even aware they're broadcasting (even if they're broadcasting nothing)?
post #8887 of 9561 Old 08-05-2018, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKelley View Post
Start TV coming 9/3 to KTVT-DT 11.3
From reports it will replace Decades on CBS O&O's....main reason is instant cable coverage (as it will take over Decades's spot on cable)
Dallas is lucky as CBS has another station it can move to (KTXA) as where I am (Minneapolis, MN) CBS only owns WCCO here so we will probably lose Decades
post #8888 of 9561 Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
MA: The target stations—and I say target stations because all of this is subject to FCC approval—are KSTR, a UniMas station; KTSD, an independent owned by Cunningham Broadcasting; KUVN, the Univision affiliate; KDAF, the Tribune Broadcasting CW affiliate; and a fifth station, which I cannot divulge at the moment.

Two of those stations—KSTR and KTXD—will relieve themselves from their ATSC 1 activity and be hosted by the others in a channel-sharing arrangement. This is important: this channel sharing means there will be no channels lost to over-the-air viewers. None of the core channels nor the Diginets will be lost.

All five will also broadcast all of their channels—core and Diginet—as Next-Gen service on the SFN. I think that is a total of 20 channels.
Quote:

TVT: That setup must put big demands on MPEG-2 encoders for the ATSC 1 side of the operation.

MA: This is a crowded field, and we need capacity for additional channels on the 1.0 stick. What that encompasses is bringing in new software-based encoders that are being optimized for a new and different level of service.

In that regard, we have a vendor with encoders that will do one HD and depending on program content five, six or seven SDs at the same time. Or, they are capable of supporting three HDs at the same time, or supporting a whole host of combinations in between.
https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/q-...-gen-sfn-trial
post #8889 of 9561 Old 08-10-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... a fifth station, which I cannot divulge at the moment.
The mystery fifth station may be the key to making this work with acceptable PQ. Squeezing four stations onto two can work, but as I've said before it's a pretty tight fit and probably not an ideal situation. Squeezing five onto three is a little bit less tight, especially if the fifth station doesn't have a lot of its own unique subchannels.

A clue is in that first quote: "a total of 20 channels." Let's see: KSTR has 3, KTXD has 5, KUVN has 4, and KDAF has 4; a total of 16. So the mystery station must have 4 subchannels (or maybe 5; 33.4 and 47.3 are identical and it makes no sense to keep them both when you're pushing the bandwidth envelope.)

Earlier I speculated that the fifth station might turn out to be KUVN-CA, a translator for KUVN currently operating in downtown Ft. Worth. As a translator of KUVN, KUVN-CA of course has the same four subchannels, so that checks out.

KUVN-CA was originally assigned RF 22 in the repacking, but requested and was granted a license for RF 11 from a transmitter that will cover most of the metroplex. Why does KUVN need a translator covering that much area? It makes no sense; they must have something else in mind.

If KUVN, its translator KUVN-CA, and KDAF divvy up the two HD and six SD (or five - again, are they really going to keep both 47.3 and 33.4?) channels, you'd have two stations with 2 HD and 4 SD channels, and one station with 1 HD and 7 (or hopefully just 6) SD channels. Still a tight fit, but manageable.
post #8890 of 9561 Old 08-15-2018, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
From reports it will replace Decades on CBS O&O's....main reason is instant cable coverage (as it will take over Decades's spot on cable)
Dallas is lucky as CBS has another station it can move to (KTXA) as where I am (Minneapolis, MN) CBS only owns WCCO here so we will probably lose Decades
I saw an ad on KTVT this morning touting the fact that Start TV will be on 11.2 and on cable - replacing Decades.
You have to wonder if Decades will close up shop or continue on another channel somewhere.
post #8891 of 9561 Old 08-15-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 159
we dont know yet but in Dallas you have a sister station (KTXA) that it could move to. In some markets that have both a CBS O&O and a Weigel O&O (Chicago, LA) it will move to the Weigel owned station.
post #8892 of 9561 Old 08-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
The mystery fifth station may be the key to making this work with acceptable PQ. Squeezing four stations onto two can work, but as I've said before it's a pretty tight fit and probably not an ideal situation. Squeezing five onto three is a little bit less tight, especially if the fifth station doesn't have a lot of its own unique subchannels.

A clue is in that first quote: "a total of 20 channels." Let's see: KSTR has 3, KTXD has 5, KUVN has 4, and KDAF has 4; a total of 16. So the mystery station must have 4 subchannels (or maybe 5; 33.4 and 47.3 are identical and it makes no sense to keep them both when you're pushing the bandwidth envelope.)

Earlier I speculated that the fifth station might turn out to be KUVN-CA, a translator for KUVN currently operating in downtown Ft. Worth. As a translator of KUVN, KUVN-CA of course has the same four subchannels, so that checks out.

KUVN-CA was originally assigned RF 22 in the repacking, but requested and was granted a license for RF 11 from a transmitter that will cover most of the metroplex. Why does KUVN need a translator covering that much area? It makes no sense; they must have something else in mind.

If KUVN, its translator KUVN-CA, and KDAF divvy up the two HD and six SD (or five - again, are they really going to keep both 47.3 and 33.4?) channels, you'd have two stations with 2 HD and 4 SD channels, and one station with 1 HD and 7 (or hopefully just 6) SD channels. Still a tight fit, but manageable.

What I'm ignorant about is this....WFAA has their flagship channel in 1080, and the other three channels in 480. But, for 8.4 Quest, which is like a Discovery channel, why wouldn't, why couldn't WFAA broadcast that in at least 720, if not also 1080??

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #8893 of 9561 Old 08-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Quest is not provided in HD to its affiliates, as far as I am aware.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8894 of 9561 Old 08-18-2018, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's a chicken-and-egg situation. Affiliates can't air Quest in HD unless Quest distributes it in HD. But Quest isn't going to do that unless it knows several of its affiliates will air it in HD.

ATSC 3.0 faces a similar chicken-and-egg situation between stations and tuners. Who will buy a tuner before there are ATSC 3.0 broadcasts, and who wants to broadcast in ATSC 3.0 if no one has a tuner to receive them? Luckily, in this case DFW has a consortium of local stations eager to go first. It's a risk for them (especially since it looks like they'll be broadcasting ATSC 3.0 for well over a year before anyone will be able to buy a tuner to receive those broadcasts) but at least they'll break the deadlock.

In Quest's case, the diginet basically has to go first, but perhaps it would help if they were hearing interest from their local affiliates. So if you're interested in getting Quest in HD, I'd recommend contacting both Quest and its local affiliate, WFAA.
post #8895 of 9561 Old 08-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
So, here's what I don't understand. There's an ATSC 1.0 carrier on RF 38 right now! It seems to have been on the air since mid-Feb.: https://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sig...tuner0/KVFW-LD
I looked and the data stream is 100% null packets (ID= 0x1fff). So I have removed the entry in my config table that inserted the data so that it would be listed as decodable.
post #8896 of 9561 Old 08-19-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
I looked and the data stream is 100% null packets (ID= 0x1fff).
I absolutely do not understand that station. It must cost a lot of $$ to keep broadcasting, when they have absolutely zero content to make even a dime back - not even infomercials
post #8897 of 9561 Old 08-20-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It's a chicken-and-egg situation. Affiliates can't air Quest in HD unless Quest distributes it in HD. But Quest isn't going to do that unless it knows several of its affiliates will air it in HD.

ATSC 3.0 faces a similar chicken-and-egg situation between stations and tuners. Who will buy a tuner before there are ATSC 3.0 broadcasts, and who wants to broadcast in ATSC 3.0 if no one has a tuner to receive them? Luckily, in this case DFW has a consortium of local stations eager to go first. It's a risk for them (especially since it looks like they'll be broadcasting ATSC 3.0 for well over a year before anyone will be able to buy a tuner to receive those broadcasts) but at least they'll break the deadlock.

In Quest's case, the diginet basically has to go first, but perhaps it would help if they were hearing interest from their local affiliates. So if you're interested in getting Quest in HD, I'd recommend contacting both Quest and its local affiliate, WFAA.

IF WFAA was to transmit Quest in 720, regardless of the lower resolution that they receive it in, would Quest look noticeably better to the viewer?

post #8898 of 9561 Old 08-20-2018, 05:05 PM

It would look as good as the upscaler it was fed through. I'd personally rather have my local equipment do any necessary upscaling.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #8899 of 9561 Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not really. Remember, your TV already up-converts SD channels to HD in order to display them on its HD screen. (If it didn't, SD shows would look like a tiny window with a huge black border all the way around it.) But they still look like they're in SD! Up-converting from SD to HD at the station wouldn't buy anything; it'd just waste bandwidth.

Some of the shows on Quest were originally produced in HD. The problem is, you can't really go though a "bottleneck" of down-converting to SD, then up-converting back to HD. Too much information is lost in down-converting. You really need to keep the resolution at HD all the way through.
post #8900 of 9561 Old 08-20-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Some of the shows on Quest were originally produced in HD. The problem is, you can't really go though a "bottleneck" of down-converting to SD, then up-converting back to HD. Too much information is lost in down-converting. You really need to keep the resolution at HD all the way through.

All those bits lost... like tears...in the rain ...

post #8901 of 9561 Old 08-22-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

K31GL back on the air?

According to this application filed with the FCC, K31GL has resumed operations and is back on the air: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...60903&goBack=N

BUT, it looks you have to live in Cedar Hill or Midlothian to pick them up. I believe this is their current coverage area: https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....5f856ab&site=1
post #8902 of 9561 Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KJJM/34 is moving from RF 34 to RF 12. They're also moving to Arlington, but will broadcast south from there.[/LIST]
At my home, I'll lose [KPFW, K31GL, and KJJM]. The only consolation is that I'll still be able to try to DX KXII and KLTV.
Late last month KJJM amended their post-repacking application. The amended application will cover much more area: all of Ft. Worth and most of south Dallas. From my home, though, it's actually worse: still too little signal to possibly receive KJJM, but just enough to increase interference with KXII (already a tough challenge to receive).
post #8903 of 9561 Old 09-03-2018, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It looks like KTVT has replaced Decades with StartTV, as scheduled. Broadcast is still tagged Decades though. No new home for it yet, Decades' website only lists DFW as "Coming Soon".

Also, not sure when this happened, but on KDTX, both TBN and Hillsong are now in 720p.

---

I've recently moved further north, and now happen to be in a sweet spot where I can pull in all the major DFW stations from the south-facing side of my house (using just a flat antenna), and KTEN and KXII from the north-facing side of my house (using a Clearstream 2V w/ amp). Didn't even have to go the outdoor/attic antenna route.
post #8904 of 9561 Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yep, I found Start last night as well.
post #8905 of 9561 Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Also, not sure when this happened, but on KDTX, both TBN and Hillsong are now in 720p.
Believe it or not, it happened back in April:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStigler View Post
Also I noted Ch58 OTA now has HD on their main channel. Last I heard they were going to do two 720P. I have not inspected their stream.
Johnny S.
Quote:
I will check out channel 58. It's about time TBN went HD - Daystar (channel 2) has been HD for quite a while now.

Edit: Confirmed: 58-1 (main TBN channel) and 58-2 (Hillsong) are both 720p now.
post #8906 of 9561 Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

KTXD/47 off the air as of 3:15 PM?

My first thought was, "maybe they went ahead and switched to ATSC 3.0," but I can still get a lock, so it acts like there's still an ATSC 1.0 carrier. Besides, KSTR/49 is still on the air in ATSC 1.0.

Just "No service" on any subchannel, sort of like KVFW/38.

If you live where you can get KPFW/18 (not many do) "Stadium" is on 18.4 in SD. They must have brought it back; it went off for a while after it lit up on 47.1.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-06-2018 at 04:39 PM.
post #8907 of 9561 Old 09-07-2018, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
My first thought was, "maybe they went ahead and switched to ATSC 3.0," but I can still get a lock, so it acts like there's still an ATSC 1.0 carrier. Besides, KSTR/49 is still on the air in ATSC 1.0. Just "No service" on any subchannel, sort of like KVFW/38.
Something happened with KTXD, KDTN, and KDTX (RF 46, 45, and 43) at about the same time. Signal outages and when they came back the signal strength changed.
post #8908 of 9561 Old 09-07-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm - it looks like all three of those share the same transmitting antenna (along with KDAF/33's auxiliary transmitter). Lightning strike?

(BTW, KTXD got back on the air around 7 PM last night.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-07-2018 at 02:56 PM.
post #8909 of 9561 Old 09-09-2018, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 183
KTXA (21.1 and 21.2) reception is terrible in my neck of the woods (Flower Mound). I usually get crystal clear reception but it's near unwatchable.

Last edited by rakstr; 09-10-2018 at 10:21 PM.
post #8910 of 9561 Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Religious programming doesn't normally interest me but I will check out channel 58. It's about time TBN went HD - Daystar (channel 2) has been HD for quite a while now.

Edit: Confirmed: 58-1 (main TBN channel) and 58-2 (Hillsong) are both 720p now.

TBN and Daystar have already been streaming in HD, on their Roku channels, for quite some time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page