post #9031 of 9321 Old 02-20-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Gotcha. Forgot about the ATSC 3.0 test. Was so delayed that I thought it was cancelled.

It appears that they will indeed be moving KSTR's main Unimas broadcast to KUVN. Both stations are now broadcasting their main channels in 720p instead of 1080i.
Looks like it's done: 49.1 is showing up on RF 23 now. Just as soccer season is heating up too.

But, the time and aspect ratio are correct, and the EPG is working. KTXD still doesn't have that straightened out

The only thing I haven't seen yet is some sort of crawl or similar notice on KSTR giving us a date to rescan our TVs, so they may not switch it over on 3/1. We may have a bit more time.

Edit: This sounds (very) bad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
ATSC 3.0 Highlights from CES2019....mostly reporting interview(s) with Mark Aitken of Sinclair Broadcasting:
https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/s...-0-at-ces-2019
https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/m...lout-5g-part-1
https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/m...-headed-part-2

Highlights:
DRM (Encryption/Data Rights Management) is holding up ATSC 3.0 roll-out (as usual, no one can reach a consensus).
Sinclair intends to roll-out ATSC 3.0 Transmissions in (at least) 26 DMA's by the END of 2019.

Next CES2020 is target date for actual consumer ATSC 3.0 Equipment Announcements/Roll-outs....which usually means not much to buy till Summer 2020....

TV Technology Mag (Feb 2019 on-line version...I have not yet seen web article posted) has a similar article [search for "CES 2019: Waiting for the Next Gen TV"]...which confirmed "2020" consumer equipment roll-out date per John Taylor (LG VP Public Affairs) interview....and ALSO reported that ... eventual USA version adds some sort of Encryption/DRM as is fully expected in all 2020 equipment....
Let me translate that for you. They intend to outlaw the DVR or at least, impose a few "limitations" on what you can do with your 3.0 recordings; likely: only playable on the device that recorded it, and no editing out ads; possible: no skipping or fast-forwarding past ads while watching. And don't be surprised if the only 3.0 DVR brand available is TiVo.

But you still have the ATSC 1.0 "lighthouse" broadcasts, even if they're lower PQ, right? Not so fast. AIUI only the .1 channel has to be on the "lighthouse," so they can (and eventually will) drop Get TV, Grit, Comet, TBD from the 1.0 transmissions - and it'll only get worse if this becomes the industry norm.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9321 Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Edit: This sounds (very) bad:Let me translate that for you. They intend to outlaw the DVR or at least, impose a few "limitations" on what you can do with your 3.0 recordings; likely: only playable on the device that recorded it, and no editing out ads; possible: no skipping or fast-forwarding past ads while watching. .... and it'll only get worse if this becomes the industry norm.
Just saw a commercial on Ch 8 for "We are broadcasters.com" run by the NAB. They need to realize clamping down on DVR usage and what the end user can do with recordings will not make many people happy with them. And on their web site they ask we "take action" and tell congress what we think. I suggest we do that!
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9033 of 9321 Old 02-22-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope, when it's all over, it'll turn out that I over-reacted. And I realize broadcasters are caught in the middle between viewers like us (who want unencumbered recording just as we've had since the Betamax) and the networks and content providers who have always hated VCRs and who hate DVRs even worse.

But it sounds like Sinclair, at least, is a bit too willing to see things the networks' way. They need to realize that clamping down on recording is about the best way I can think of to ensure ATSC 3.0 will never go anywhere! "You mean I can now buy a new tuner for my TV that I can't record from and will shove "targeted" ads in my face? Oh, boy! Where do I sign up?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9034 of 9321 Old 02-22-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Edit: This sounds (very) bad:Let me translate that for you. They intend to outlaw the DVR or at least, impose a few "limitations" on what you can do with your 3.0 recordings; likely: only playable on the device that recorded it, and no editing out ads; possible: no skipping or fast-forwarding past ads while watching. And don't be surprised if the only 3.0 DVR brand available is TiVo.
NO, it does NOT mean they will outlaw OTA DVR's.....the ATSC 3.0 capable OTA DVR's will simply have to implement Decryption [perhaps only for SOME material and NOT Network Channels???]....just as all of the SAT & CABLE DVR's do today. What it likely DOES mean is that unless they allow you to Archive Recordings [like my Hi-Def D-VCR], when that OTA DVR bites the dust (as my Cable DVR's seem to do about every 3 years), then you will LOSE all of the Recordings on that DVR....so Sad....too Bad....
post #9035 of 9321 Old 02-22-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
NO, it does NOT mean they will outlaw OTA DVR's.....the ATSC 3.0 capable OTA DVR's will simply have to implement Decryption [perhaps only for SOME material and NOT Network Channels???]....just as all of the SAT & CABLE DVR's do today. What it likely DOES mean is that unless they allow you to Archive Recordings [like my Hi-Def D-VCR], when that OTA DVR bites the dust (as my Cable DVR's seem to do about every 3 years), then you will LOSE all of the Recordings on that DVR....so Sad....too Bad....
Excuse the hyperbole. BUT in my defense, the DMCA "criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM). It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself." (Wikipedia; emphasis added.) You know that as well as I do.

So, it's all up to the copyright holders. If they want to, they could effectively "outlaw" any DVR that recorded and played back their content. The law is on their side.

Would they go that far? Probably not - at least, not at first, because it would totally sink ATSC 3.0's chances. But they might get there eventually, and even if that never happens, they could implement any other restrictions they want, no matter how onerous. Any DVR that fails to enforce those restrictions gets its access to the decryption keys revoked. And there's no reason to believe that "copy-once" restrictions will be enough to satisfy the copyright holders for the full 95 years a copyright lasts.
post #9036 of 9321 Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 175
They'll go there with the help of equipment makers for the revenue streams. DRM has done little to curb the big Chinese pirate industry but has cost consumers millions in equipment, licensing, and loss of use not to mention increased complexity. It's all a big revenue stream scam IMO

Quote:
Excuse the hyperbole. BUT in my defense, the DMCA "criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures that control access to copyrighted works (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM). It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself." (Wikipedia; emphasis added.) You know that as well as I do.

So, it's all up to the copyright holders. If they want to, they could effectively "outlaw" any DVR that recorded and played back their content. The law is on their side.

Would they go that far? Probably not - at least, not at first, because it would totally sink ATSC 3.0's chances. But they might get there eventually, and even if that never happens, they could implement any other restrictions they want, no matter how onerous. Any DVR that fails to enforce those restrictions gets its access to the decryption keys revoked. And there's no reason to believe that "copy-once" restrictions will be enough to satisfy the copyright holders for the full 95 years a copyright lasts.
See The Light likes this.
post #9037 of 9321 Old 02-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
CH 11.1 tonight is not coming in OTA, but it is coming in through Locast.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9038 of 9321 Old 02-24-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IF your argument had any merit, ALL existing DVR's would be outlawed....so we must hope/trust that established "FAIR USE DOCTRINE" continues to prevail.....and LOBBY against the elimination of all "Hard Copy" Movies (DVD, Blu-Ray, etc), currently feeling pressure from "watch and forget" On-Line Streaming services....
post #9039 of 9321 Old 02-24-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
CH 11.1 tonight is not coming in OTA, but it is coming in through Locast.
Receiving 11.1 OTA just fine here.
post #9040 of 9321 Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There probably isn't much point in continuing this argument. I'm saying that implementing DRM (an "access control" under DMCA) legally permits any broadcaster to impose any conditions they wish on the use of the "controlled" (i.e., ATSC 3.0) content, up to and including a complete ban on recording. It may never go that far - the outcry from viewers would be huge - but there's nothing in the current laws to prevent it.

That does not apply to the unencumbered ATSC 1.0 simulcasts, so we can continue to legally record those broadcasts and do with those as we please (as long as we don't violate the copyright laws). But it's clear the intent is to phase those out eventually.

I wish Holl-ands were right, but he hasn't yet provided any evidence to disprove my contention. Claims that my arguments would also apply to current DVRs are specious. Current ATSC 1.0 broadcasts have never been encumbered by access controls as defined by the DMCA, such as DRM schemes, so current DVRs are perfectly legal and will remain so. It's just that there will come a day when they have nothing left to record.
rakstr likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-24-2019 at 07:31 PM.
post #9041 of 9321 Old 02-24-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let's talk about something else. KSTR is preparing to switch to ATSC 3.0, as you know. Once they do that, they want to light up three additional transmitters to form an SFN. For the most part, these additional transmitters will not extend the range of the ATSC 3.0 signal (the Denton transmitter will extend the range to the north a bit, but not much); the intent is to improve reception within KSTR's existing range.

These transmitters are quite powerful (100 kW ERP), and I live very close to one of them. If I had an ATSC 3.0 tuner, I suspect I could easily pick up their signal with a simple UHF loop antenna.

Of course none of us has an ATSC 3.0 tuner yet, but such a powerful signal concerns me. Most of my TV stations aren't so easy to receive, so I don't use a simple UHF loop - I have a big CM 3020 pointed at Cedar Hill. Luckily it's pointed away from that new SFN transmitter, but I'm still worried that such a strong signal will overload my preamp and cause me to lose other stations once the SFN lights up.

OTOH maybe it'll be fine. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
post #9042 of 9321 Old 02-25-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Receiving 11.1 OTA just fine here.

I did a full channel re-scan, and I'm still not getting 11. Do you show the 11's actual channel as 19?

post #9043 of 9321 Old 02-25-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did a full channel re-scan, and I'm still not getting 11. Do you show the 11's actual channel as 19?
Yes, on actual 19, 500 to 506 mHz.
See The Light likes this.
post #9044 of 9321 Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Weird. I'm getting 11 fine too.

Must be something local in See the Light's neighborhood.
post #9045 of 9321 Old 02-25-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There was a step change in the time data sent by KTVT yesterday:
http://home.earthlink.net/~schultdw/atsc/tdata/19.png

Perhaps there was another change in the PSIP data that this particular receiver hates.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9046 of 9321 Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tried Clearstream 4Max and Mohu Sail

Quote:
You'll probably have to hunt for a "hot spot." Make sure to keep the broad side of the antenna roughly SSE (the CM-4228 is the only antenna that's somewhat fussy about aiming; the others don't need to be exact) and move around until you find a spot with good reception. If you have or can borrow a portable TV, it will help speed up the trial-and-error process.That's long enough that you may need an amp. Look for one with a low noise figure. Your amp won't need much gain. I'd estimate 15 dB gain should be plenty. A Winegard "Boost" (model LNA-100) should be more than enough.The picture shows the VHF dipole attached. I thought it had to be bought separately, but I guess it comes with one and you just have to attach it if you need it. Looks like it's just screwed onto the back with two screws.

There is an optional reflector you can get too; don't know if you need that or not. (The older 2V came with it but the newer 2MAX doesn't.) I'd probably try to do without it. I think you can get a reflector directly from ClearStream if the antenna doesn't quite perform up to snuff. It will add a few dB of sensitivity, at the cost of blocking signals from behind the antenna.
I tried the Clearstream 4Max and the Mohu Sail in the attic (maybe 60' run) and directly connected to the TV. In the attic, it did terrible, only about 8-15 channels when I scanned with my 2018 LG C8 TV with weak signals. Was using the power injector at the TV that came with the mohu (both plugged in to USB and 110V). Inside the 4max found 53 channels (with me holding it at 168 degrees as best I could) and the Mohu found 45 channels with similar strength but better quality.

So, it seems the signal is getting lost in the cable run somewhere or it doesn't like the attic (no radiant barrier).

Going to try my (very old) satellite coax that is just outside the house by the TV.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038538c316dea
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9047 of 9321 Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM

Channel 11 started showing for me again Monday night. I had previously tweeted ch. 11 about my issue. I did not get a response tweet back, but whatever the issue was, on my end, or theirs, it has resolved itself.

post #9048 of 9321 Old 02-27-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm going to guess something unique to your situation. As others have said, 11 was fine here just north of Lake Grapevine for the entire time.
Quote:
Channel 11 started showing for me again Monday night. I had previously tweeted ch. 11 about my issue. I did not get a response tweet back, but whatever the issue was, on my end, or theirs, it has resolved itself.
post #9049 of 9321 Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know either antenna so I'm going to presume the Mohu has a built in amp.

It's been my experience that you should try to get your power injector as close (cable length close) to the amp as possible. I'm guessing that USB wall wart doesn't put out much power (and neither does the TV USB port) and you may be suffering too much loss through the COAX.

Using a small TV on a short cable to the antenna to aid in setup is what I do as well. It helps to focus on one problem at a time. Even if you need to run a new shorter RG6 from the antenna to your attic access and bring a TV up to that point. I'd also run an extension into the attic and get that power injector next to the antenna for setup. See what is possible with the least amount of variables.

When aiming, I start with my trusty BSA compass and then search for the sweet spot. For my setup channel 8 (ABC) is the one I need to use for the "hardest" to get and I compromise on the rest a little Some of my tuners have signal meters built in. I have one of the channel master converter boxes I saved from the transition and it's got an easy to use signal strength meter. YMMV

If I remember correctly you're located a few mile east of me. I had marginal luck with the "smaller antenna" in the winter when we moved in (2011) but had to upgrade to an "old school" outdoor antenna mounted in the attic with a pre-amp once the trees began to leaf out and Lake Grapevine began to produce evap in the the summer sun. I'm not saying your choice won't work, just my personal experience. I've got Quad shielded RG6 run throughout the house. The antenna is a long enough distance away that the pre-amp feed comes into a structure wiring setup and is split (passive) into 3 Channel Master 8 way disti amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by internet seeker View Post
I tried the Clearstream 4Max and the Mohu Sail in the attic (maybe 60' run) and directly connected to the TV. In the attic, it did terrible, only about 8-15 channels when I scanned with my 2018 LG C8 TV with weak signals. Was using the power injector at the TV that came with the mohu (both plugged in to USB and 110V). Inside the 4max found 53 channels (with me holding it at 168 degrees as best I could) and the Mohu found 45 channels with similar strength but better quality.

So, it seems the signal is getting lost in the cable run somewhere or it doesn't like the attic (no radiant barrier).

Going to try my (very old) satellite coax that is just outside the house by the TV.

Last edited by rakstr; 03-01-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #9050 of 9321 Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by internet seeker View Post

FYI: DC Voltage will NOT pass thru most RF Splitters intended for CATV [or DistroAmp], whereas most Sat RF Splitters have DC PASS on one or more Port (single port type is preferred cuz you don't have worry about the OTHER ports being shorted out).
rakstr likes this.

Last edited by holl_ands; 02-28-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #9051 of 9321 Old 03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Let's talk about something else. KSTR is preparing to switch to ATSC 3.0, as you know.
Originally they planned to do that today. The day's not over, but at least as of 1:30 PM Central, KSTR still hasn't made the switch. Not terribly surprising given that when I checked last night, KTXD still didn't have the correct aspect ratio on 49.2/.3 or the correct time of day, and that I have yet to see a banner or crawl on any 49.x channel advising viewers to rescan.
post #9052 of 9321 Old 03-02-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This isn't very important, but it is interesting: K25FW (HSN) seems to have died shortly after midnight. They're still broadcasting, but there isn't a program stream (zero channels). That was one of KVFW's favorite tricks back in the day.

Edit: Looks like they fixed it this AM, so you can once again tune in and shop 'til you're broke

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-03-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #9053 of 9321 Old 03-06-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something went haywire with KTXD's PSIP for about an hour this afternoon. I did not receive an LPTV station from 1000 miles away as https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?...t=all&tzone=CT seems to show.

I had high hopes that KTXD had fixed something; alas, their time is still 5 hours slow and they still have all the SD stations (including 49.2/3) set at 4:3 even though they're really 16:9
post #9054 of 9321 Old 03-06-2019, 05:45 PM

I noticed that they went daylight savings time for an hour and the time error dropped to 15 minutes. But then things returned to normal/wrong.

Worse is that they are now hosting 23.4. Which swapped places with 49.2.
post #9055 of 9321 Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes; not sure why they did that channel swap. Don't Laff and Grit both use about the same amount of bandwidth? Can't see what the swap accomplishes, other than to make things more complex (and make fans of Laff wonder where the heck it went today); but it does align with the plan KSTR filed with the FCC. (Oh - and KUVN misnumbered Grit 49.2 instead of 49.3. ) Maybe they'll get the time straightened out Sunday. If not, hopefully they'll at least have it fixed before KSTR throws the switch....

Since KSTR is still on ATSC 1.0 at the moment, here's what I did to straighten out the current mess:

1. Deleted all 49.x and "fake" subchannels
  2. Manually scanned RF 23 and RF 46
  3. Deleted all 49.x subchannels again
  4. Manually scanned RF 48

If you're up to it, you could probably replace steps 1 & 2 with a full scan. Of course that procedure assumes your tuner can delete subchannels (not all can). If not, you may be able to hide them in step 3.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #9056 of 9321 Old 03-10-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe they'll get the time straightened out Sunday.
No such luck. Still 5 hours slow today.

Edit: Looks like they fixed the time about 15 minutes after I posted that! Hallelujah!

Unfortunately they broke 47.1

Edit 2: It just popped back on. Is someone at KTXD reading this thread?

Aspect-ratio-wise, they're now flagging Comet 16:9 and Charge, TBD, and Laff 4:3; but based on what's actually on at the moment, every one of those is wrong: Comet should be 4:3 and the rest 16:9

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #9057 of 9321 Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 PM

From where I sit, 46 stopped sending all PSIP data a bit before 2PM CDT. At that time it was still 5 hours slow.
post #9058 of 9321 Old 03-10-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe that's it. If they don't broadcast ANY time, it looks like they're broadcasting the correct time on my iVIEW, because it just carries over the last time it received (from another station).

Edit: In fact I can confirm that, now that I know to look. KUVN's clock is 3 minutes slow; K25FW's is correct. If I tune to 23-3 then press "channel up," 23-4's clock is 3 minutes slow; but if I tune to 25 and press "channel down," it's correct. So it is just carrying over the time from the last station I tuned to.

I was noticing that it's very slow to tune to any KTXD station on my DTVPal, so I figured something was wrong with the VCT. I guess no VCT at all is about as wrong as it gets

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
post #9059 of 9321 Old 03-10-2019, 04:19 PM

PSIP has returned, or at least the last two scans found some, and the time on 46 is still 5 hours off.
post #9060 of 9321 Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ever wonder how TV stations are going to make the repacking transition later this summer? Well, here's how one local station (KAZD) plans to do it:
Quote:
The applicant proposes to replace its existing auxiliary channel 39 antenna with a new RFS SBB-EPD-24C170 broadband antenna to be used initially as a channel 39 auxiliary antenna, and then to be licensed as the auxiliary antenna for KAZD channel 31 post auction. Once the pre auction STA facility is completed and ready for operation the applicant proposes to transfer channel 39 pre auction broadcasting to the STA facility on channel 39. At that time KAZD will remove its main channel 39 antenna to be replaced with its authorized main channel 31 antenna.
KAZD is rather lucky in that it's current RF channel and post-transition RF channel aren't very far apart (39 and 31 respectively). So their plan is:

1. Switch their auxiliary facility to a broadband antenna that will work on both RF 31 and RF 39
  2. Start broadcasting from their auxiliary facility
  3. Start the process of replacing their main antenna
  4. Switch to RF 31
  5. Complete the process of replacing the main antenna
  6. Switch back to their main facility
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page