317Likes

post #9181 of 9553 Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
No did not know they were moving. What's the new RF channel?
ed_in_tx likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 9553 Old 06-23-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Tried to add 21 on RF18. Signal is 93-95 bot no service found. Is this because of KPFW? And what are they doing on the same frequency?
post #9183 of 9553 Old 06-23-2019, 08:57 PM

KPFW isn't supposed to be on 18. The transmitter on channel 18 was supposed to be shut down in time for KTXA to make their move, and KPFW is supposed to be moving to channel 5 on a transmitter in Arlington. My guess is that KPFW didn't shut down 18, because it's the only explanation I can come up with for why I can get KTVT perfectly but KTXA barely at all. They are sharing an antenna and transmitting with the same power level and are adjacent to each other frequency-wise, so reception should be practically identical, but that's not the case for me on multiple antennas feeding multiple tuners. Also, KPFW is operated by HC2, so that alone drastically increases the chances of something stupid happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9184 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
KLTV is actually a Tyler TV station, but if you live in the eastern part of the DFW metroplex (e.g. Terrell, Kaufman) you may be able to receive it. I guess that's why TiVo lists it.This station has never been on the air. NBC 5 has RF 24 now; if KQFW ever does go on the air, it will be on RF 11, broadcasting southward from Venus, TX, from where it will be lucky to get a dozen viewers (even though their coverage area does include the bustling metropolis of Hillsboro, TX). I suspect this construction permit is just a placeholder until HCCN can come up with something better, and is unlikely ever to be actually built.RF 10 is the correct frequency, but this station moved last year! But as I said, TiVo isn't always on the ball with keeping their guide up-to-date.This, of course, is the fiasco we're dealing with now: KMPX on two frequencies. What's most interesting, though, is that TiVo apparently knows about this and incorporated it into their guide! That makes me think someone called them and told them KMPX was moving - which could be the same person who plugged KMPX's feed into the RF 21 transmitter yesterday. Obviously a huge misunderstanding.That is actually correct; 49-2 KSTRDT2, aka Get TV, did move from RF 48 to RF 46. But they moved back in April! You'd think the old RF 48 listing would've been cleaned up by now.
FWIW (and it is not worth much) as of Monday morning. Both my sets of 7-1's finally did clear out on about the fourth clear the TiVo tuner and rescan in 3 days; however all the others are still there LOL

Anyway, I think someone mentioned RF 5, both my tuners sets (TiVo and Panasonic) report about 85-90% signal strength with display channel 41-1 thru 41-5 KXDA-LD. Currently 41-1 is cartoons EBTV, 41-5 is an open Bible, and the others are just color bars.

I do not think 58-1 will ever return until all these other channels conflicts are corrected.
post #9185 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
KPFW isn't supposed to be on 18. The transmitter on channel 18 was supposed to be shut down in time for KTXA to make their move...
I think the FCC needs to raid the facilities of KPFW! Shut'em down! Meanwhile I get 96-100 signal on RF 18 but no play. Samsung, Sony TVs, DTVPals, none will tune KTXA.
post #9186 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2828 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
I think HoustonPerson is the only one besides myself to be receiving KXDA successfully. Not much to watch, unfortunately: just a couple of Spanish religious channels and three channels of color bars.

KPFW is supposed to move to RF 5 too, but it will broadcast from Arlington and aim its signal west to avoid conflicting with KXDA. KPFW used to have a few interesting channels but in their last months everything devolved into infomercials and shopping channels.

Since they'll both be on RF 5, I'd like to see KXDA and KPFW share each other's channels. (There would be room if they got rid of KPFW's duplicate channels and KXDA's color bars.) That way if you could get either RF 5 signal you could watch both stations. That would increase potential viewership so maybe KPFW could get back the more interesting channels they used to have on 18.2 and 18.3.

Re KDTX/58: now that it's Monday morning, has anyone called them to let them know their new OTA signal on RF 21 is fouled up and carrying KMPX instead? This is ridiculous: they screwed it up Friday then went home for the weekend, totally oblivious to the mess they made.
post #9187 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think HoustonPerson is the only one besides myself to be receiving KXDA successfully. …….

Re KDTX/58: now that it's Monday morning, has anyone called them to let them know their new OTA signal on RF 21 is fouled up and carrying KMPX instead? This is ridiculous: they screwed it up Friday then went home for the weekend, totally oblivious to the mess they made.
I sent them an email on the TBN website, the instant return mail said I should hear from them in 2 days.
post #9188 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
What's on RF21 right now?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9189 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
What's on RF21 right now?

- Trip
null packets
post #9190 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, at least they aren't simulcasting KMPX any more....

On the plus side, the SQ is really good, if only we could get KDTX's programming....

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-24-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #9191 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the FCC needs to raid the facilities of KPFW! Shut'em down! Meanwhile I get 96-100 signal on RF 18 but no play. Samsung, Sony TVs, DTVPals, none will tune KTXA.
Perhaps a simple phone call or email would suffice. Got this info from https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...lityId=127891:
Quote:
Licensee Name:
DTV AMERICA CORPORATION

Address:
450 PARK AVENUE 30TH FLOOR
NEW YORK, NY 10022
US

Phone:
+1 (703) 853-5914
Email:
[email protected]
post #9192 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Well, at least they aren't simulcasting KMPX any more....

KMPX has returned yet again. RF21 has switched from KMPX to 100% null packets and back again several times.
post #9193 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

My LG TV, that I bought last November, is displaying the programming from KTXA with no issues. I live in Irving, about 22 miles from Cedar Hill.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9194 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
My LG TV, that I bought last November, is displaying the programming from KTXA with no issues. I live in Irving, about 22 miles from Cedar Hill.
Downtown Dallas where I believe KHPK is located is probably off to the East from you enough to not impact your reception. I am near I 35-E and I 635 and from here Cedar Hill is SSW a few degrees from straight South, and downtown is just a few degrees to the East, certainly close enough to be within the main lobe of my receiving antenna even if I were to aim it away from downtown to the West a little bit. That's my theory anyway.
post #9195 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All the 28-X are now off the air.

The 29-X is being broadcast on two RF's at the same time.

Last Thursday digital station count at my house was 90

Friday, Sat, and Sunday, it would very between 75 to 77.

Since the 28-X's are deleted, it is now down to 68
post #9196 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Downtown Dallas where I believe KHPK is located....
They used to be downtown; but a couple of years ago they moved to Hutchins, near SE Dallas. I know this because the move made it very tough for me to point my antenna where it would get both KPFW (at a 200-degree azimuth from my home) and KLEG (which remained downtown; thus, at a 260-degree azimuth).

Even with the move, there's probably a large angle of separation between the two in Irving. From your home the angle is probably smaller. Of course it would also depend on how directional your antennas are, and their exact aiming.

It might be possible to cut off any interference from KPFW by aiming clockwise from Cedar Hill vs. directly at it. If it's not resolved by this evening I may do some experiments from my own home. Maybe the interference isn't even coming from KPFW....

On another topic, KHPK just went back off the air a couple of hours ago....
post #9197 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They used to be downtown; but a couple of years ago they moved to Hutchins, near SE Dallas. I know this because the move made it very tough for me to point my antenna where it would get both KPFW (at a 200-degree azimuth from my home) and KLEG (which remained downtown; thus, at a 260-degree azimuth).
From here Downtown Dallas is pretty much inline with Hutchins. The angle between is about 37° depending exactly where in Cedar Hill and Hutchins I measure from. I will likely just wait it out. The CBS engineers at TXA21 should be able to fix it once they get enough complaints.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHill-Hutchins-angle.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2583940  
post #9198 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From here Downtown Dallas is pretty much inline with Hutchins. The angle between is about 37° depending exactly where in Cedar Hill and Hutchins I measure from. I will likely just wait it out. The CBS engineers at TXA21 should be able to fix it once they get enough complaints.
Something isn't adding up, though. Hutchins is about as far away from you as Cedar Hill is. That, coupled with the difference in ERP (KTXA = 465kW, assuming they're using their auxiliary facility; KPFW = 4 kW) should give KTXA over 20dB of an advantage at your home. That's not even considering the difference in tower height. And if your antenna is pointed at Cedar Hill, KTXA's advantage should be even bigger - easily enough to get a lock.

If KPFW were still downtown, it would make more sense. Twice as close = 4x as strong, cutting KPFW's advantage to 14dB - not quite enough for a lock. (Plus, I think the old downtown transmitter was 15 kW, which would make things even worse.)

I don't suppose there's some chance KPFW's old transmitter is still downtown, and got fired up somehow during all the confusion on Friday?
post #9199 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Something isn't adding up, though. Hutchins is about as far away from you as Cedar Hill is. That, coupled with the difference in ERP (KTXA = 465kW, assuming they're using their auxiliary facility; KPFW = 4 kW) should give KTXA over 20dB of an advantage at your home. That's not even considering the difference in tower height. And if your antenna is pointed at Cedar Hill, KTXA's advantage should be even bigger - easily enough to get a lock.
Yep makes no sense. Good strong KTXA signal on RF 18. I just tried attenuating the signal at the antenna, by 6 then 10 dB just to see if that would reduce the interfering signal or whatever it is, which reduced signal strength from 95+ to 80, but still no service. So much for that idea. Antenna is in the garage attic and already turned toward the SW as much as it can be, pretty limited up there. But with a 95+ signal strength that isn't the problem.
post #9200 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
KMPX has returned yet again. RF21 has switched from KMPX to 100% null packets and back again several times.
Now it's off the air completely again. So I guess someone is working on it....

Edit: Crap! Back to KMPX again....

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-24-2019 at 02:34 PM.
post #9201 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 03:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not coming from downtown because I can improve the signal quality a few percent by picking up the antenna and pointing it directly at downtown and further away from SE Dallas. I can't leave the antenna there because I don't have any way to support it, and it's in the way. Also, the reception still isn't good, just slightly less bad. I wish I had some equipment suitable for field use so I could just drive down south and see if I can confirm 100% that it is KPFW on the air. Then I'd file a complaint with the FCC and start raising hell with HC2.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9202 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, as it happens, I have a tiny digital TV built into (of all the crazy things) my GPS receiver! So, I just took a quick trip down to Dowdy Ferry Road myself.

And sure enough, KPFW is still broadcasting on RF 18. Same stupid infomercials! Cindy Crawford's "Meaningful Beauty," etc.

I doubt my word would be enough for a formal FCC complaint, but it occurs to me that we should at least tell KTXA what's going on. They surely have the equipment to record what KPFW is doing and make a formal complaint.

Of course it wouldn't hurt to email HC2 at the address I provided earlier and let them know what's going on. I think HC2 is generally pretty hands-off with respect to the companies it owns, but they aren't going to let DTV America incur FCC fines and/or put KPFW's license at risk.
julesism, PlnOTA and jd8000 like this.
post #9203 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I doubt my word would be enough for a formal FCC complaint,

You have more than enough. Evidence of harmful interference and evidence of the source. There is a formal complaint and then there is visiting the FCC website and filing an informal complaint.
post #9204 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Nice, JHBrandt. I've sent them a note requesting that they turn it off and letting them know an FCC complaint is coming if it's not gone tomorrow. I won't lose sleep if they get fined or lose the license over it. "Turning off the transmitter when you're legally required to turn off the transmitter" is pretty basic stuff.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9205 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I've got a PLEX server with 8 tuners in 4 pairs (2 X Hauppauge quad PCI) Re-scanned one of them yesterday and picked up 70 channels. Today another only picks up 61. A week ago I'd pick up 90ish. I had 35 marked as "display" and that dropped to 34 in another recent scan (since last Thursday) of a different tuner.

Sorry I didn't take any notes or go through things in detail. NEVER in the life of me did I think a couple stations "moving" would be such a disaster

I will eventually find which of my "desired" 35 channels fell off the radar
post #9206 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's probably one of these stations:
  1. KPFW/18 (actually, these knuckleheads are still on RF 18 and causing havoc for KTXA, but you probably aren't receiving them unless you're really close to the tower in Hutchins, TX)
  2. KUVN-CD (note that KUVN is working, but their Class A translator is off the air)
  3. K25FW (HSN)
  4. KODF/26 (but see below)
  5. KWDA/30
  6. K31GL (Hot TV)
  7. KJJM/34 (The Country Network)
  8. KVFW/38 (Retro TV)
  9. KLEG-CD/44
  10. KATA/50 (Actually this one is gone for good)
  11. KHFD/51 (but see below)
  12. KDTX/58 (old RF still active, but no programming; new RF apparently getting interference from KWDA/30)

Stations hosting off-the-air channels:
  1. K26KC is hosting KHFD/51's channels
  2. KHPK/28 is hosting KODF/26's channels (except HSN/HSN2)

Although today, KHPK/28 went off the air again, after being on the air for only four days

That's a dozen stations gone, but way more channels.

Supposedly, many of those stations should get back on the air at some point, although you may not happen to live where you can receive some of the new signals:

1. KUVN-CD is moving to RF 11
  2. KPFW is moving to RF 5
  3. KODF is moving to RF 3
  4. KWDA is moving to RF 4
  5. K25FW, K31GL, and KVFW are all moving to RF 7, somehow (details haven't been worked out yet, but probably some kind of channel sharing)
  6. KJJM is moving to RF 12
  7. KLEG is moving to RF 28
  8. KHFD is moving to RF 13
  9. KDTX is moving to RF 21
So perhaps someday we'll return to the glory days of over 100 channels.
post #9207 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I've got a PLEX server with 8 tuners in 4 pairs (2 X Hauppauge quad PCI) Re-scanned one of them yesterday and picked up 70 channels. Today another only picks up 61. A week ago I'd pick up 90ish. I had 35 marked as "display" and that dropped to 34 in another recent scan (since last Thursday) of a different tuner.

Sorry I didn't take any notes or go through things in detail. NEVER in the life of me did I think a couple stations "moving" would be such a disaster

I will eventually find which of my "desired" 35 channels fell off the radar
Funny, I too have 35 stations that I keep after rescanning.
I did not lose any of them. Here's my list and I was able to get all of them tonight after rescanning. (I'm not having any issue with whatever KPFW might be doing)

4.1 KDFW-DT
5.1 KXAS-DT
5.2 COZI-TV
8.1 WFAA
8.2 AccuWx
8.3 Justice
8.4 Quest
11.1 KTVT-DT
11.2 StartTV
13.1 KERA-HD
13.2 kids
13.3 Create
21.1 KTXA-DT
21.2 MeTV
23.2 Bounce
23.3 ESCAPE
23.4 LAFF
27.1 KDFI DT
27.2 MOVIES!
27.3 BUZZR
27.4 H&I
27.5 Light
33.1 KDAF-DT
33.2 Antenna
33.3 This TV
33.4 Charge
47.1 KTXD
47.2 Comet
47.4 TBD
49.2 GetTV
49.3 GRIT
52.2 BIZ-TV
68.1 ION
68.2 qubo
68.3 IONLife
post #9208 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's my station list except for 47.4 and I don't recall it being one of my original 35. I just checked my tuners and it's available. I just enabled it and the guide is now updating. Perhaps when I see the type of programming I'll recognize it. Was 47.4 affected in this mess? If not I can't see why it would have been dropped int eh scan.

I've got my original list of 35 written down someplace but can't seem to put my fingers on it. Probably back in the office, that is if my bride didn't pitch it I wrote them all down a couple weeks ago in prep for this week!

I'm up about a mile north of Lake Grapevine (center).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldevns View Post
Funny, I too have 35 stations that I keep after rescanning.
I did not lose any of them. Here's my list and I was able to get all of them tonight after rescanning. (I'm not having any issue with whatever KPFW might be doing)

4.1 KDFW-DT
5.1 KXAS-DT
5.2 COZI-TV
8.1 WFAA
8.2 AccuWx
8.3 Justice
8.4 Quest
11.1 KTVT-DT
11.2 StartTV
13.1 KERA-HD
13.2 kids
13.3 Create
21.1 KTXA-DT
21.2 MeTV
23.2 Bounce
23.3 ESCAPE
23.4 LAFF
27.1 KDFI DT
27.2 MOVIES!
27.3 BUZZR
27.4 H&I
27.5 Light
33.1 KDAF-DT
33.2 Antenna
33.3 This TV
33.4 Charge
47.1 KTXD
47.2 Comet
47.4 TBD
49.2 GetTV
49.3 GRIT
52.2 BIZ-TV
68.1 ION
68.2 qubo
68.3 IONLife
post #9209 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 08:53 PM

When I was flipping through on the HDHomeRun and playing with the antenna earlier I managed to get enough of a signal to suggest that KHFD is channel-sharing on co-owned K26KC-D's RF 26 broadcast to keep some of the 51.x channels on the air until their new transmitter is up. I can't get a reliable lock on it though, just barely managed to get enough for a brief bit of PSIP. Maybe one of you with a better rig can confirm.

Edit: nevermind, I just missed the part of JHBrandt's post where that was mentioned.

I see no indication that KDTX's old RF 45 broadcast is on-air, nor any that KWDA is interfering with their new RF 21, there's just the mixup between KMPX and KDTX. Maybe someone can check my math here, but I might have an idea where the problem is. KDTN's STA filing indicates that because they are transmitting from a shared site, their transition was being managed managed by site owner American Tower, and that was botched because the power system isn't correct. KTXD and KAZD are also on shared towers owned by American Tower, also botched transitions. KDTX and KMPX are both on shared towers owned by American Tower. I'm sensing a pattern.

Last edited by jd8000; 06-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.
post #9210 of 9553 Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@arnoldevns

My guide update just finished and 47.4 is definitely not one of my original 35 Hopefully I'll find my list.

@jd8000

I've got no 51.X stations on my server tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page