post #9241 of 9613 Old 06-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I guess they're still working on it. The channel number just changed from 55.6 to "6.6" I assume that's a mistake and they were actually trying to fix the label.
Did a rescan about 35 minutes ago, and I think KAZD and KDTN just went to war against each other, and the refugee situation has spilled out to several other channels. About 30 minutes ago, Benny Hinn was going at it with a Vietnamese guy who was trying to sell us made for TV products. As I switched channels back and forth the reception alternated between those two programs on 2.1. I also had KAZD channels scattered and trying to assimilate among the subchannels of actual and not actual channels between 4 and 11. On one device I even had a channel 1.1, which I've never seen outside of Closed Circuit TV. What a bloodbath! All my devices were affected. I just did another rescan and there seems to be a ceasefire in place for the moment, but that was a wild ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 9613 Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
VieTV is back to program 5. Advenimiento is on both programs 6 and 7, but only program 6 is in the TVCT, as 55.6/BIZTV. Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of "As the HC2 Turns".
See The Light and JHBrandt like this.
post #9243 of 9613 Old 06-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Did a rescan about 35 minutes ago, and I think KAZD and KDTN just went to war against each other, and the refugee situation has spilled out to several other channels. About 30 minutes ago, Benny Hinn was going at it with a Vietnamese guy who was trying to sell us made for TV products. As I switched channels back and forth the reception alternated between those two programs on 2.1. I also had KAZD channels scattered and trying to assimilate among the subchannels of actual and not actual channels between 4 and 11. On one device I even had a channel 1.1, which I've never seen outside of Closed Circuit TV. What a bloodbath! All my devices were affected. I just did another rescan and there seems to be a ceasefire in place for the moment, but that was a wild ride.
"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. Assimilate !!"

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9244 of 9613 Old 06-27-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
VieTV is back to program 5. Advenimiento is on both programs 6 and 7, but only program 6 is in the TVCT, as 55.6/BIZTV. Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of "As the HC2 Turns".
I kept 55.6 in my lineup after Biz TV moved to 52.2, in hopes that something interesting would pop up. But it sounds like the safest bet now is to delete both 55.6 and 55.7 (or hide them if your device doesn't support deleting channels).
post #9245 of 9613 Old 06-27-2019, 10:14 PM

Someone is burning the midnight oil at HC2, because the KAZD encoder just restarted and moved the program numbers around as I was typing up this post. Looks like they've switched Global mall TV, VFTV, VieTV, and both Advenimientos to 16:9, which appears to be correct for all of them. Then it restarted again and the duplicate was gone, but 55.6 is still showing with the BIZTV name and EIT data. They're getting closer, anyway. Hello out there HC2 person if you're lurking in our thread. You've got your AFD signalling on 55.1 set to 1001 (4:3 centercut) which is incorrect for widescreen content. Please fix. And once you do, please ask KUVN/KSTR to fix theirs.

Also, KDTN is back to 1080i.

Join us again tomorrow as we spin the wheel to see who's doing what crazy thing to their broadcast!
post #9246 of 9613 Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 AM

Advent on 55.6 just moved to 55.7.

55.6 has Vietnamese programming now.

post #9247 of 9613 Old 06-28-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just noticed the label for 55.6 just reads "KAZD" now.

55.2 used to have a similarly generic label but now reads "GLOBAL." I assume this channel is the Global Mall TV @jd8000 mentioned.

Edit: KAZD added 55.7 "Advenim" back to their lineup. Now both 55.6 "KAZD" and 55.7 are showing Advenimiento, but the aspect ratio differs between them.

Also 55.4 "QVC" is just a line of text reading "Channel 136 not available" now. DFW is now down to a single QVC (68.5) and HSN (68.6) channel each.

Still got three SBN's though

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-01-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #9248 of 9613 Old 07-06-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Is there something going on with channel 4 (KDFW Fox)? Reception seems to be going in and out this morning. Normally very strong reception.
post #9249 of 9613 Old 07-06-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Is there something going on with channel 4 (KDFW Fox)? Reception seems to be going in and out this morning. Normally very strong reception.
Still doing it? I have 100% here. No problem.
rakstr likes this.
post #9250 of 9613 Old 07-06-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Ya, wonder if some weird atmospherics over Lake Grapevine. It's in my direct path! Really sticky and calm up here this AM.

Going out to mow, I'll check afterwards when all this burns off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Still doing it? I have 100% here. No problem.
post #9251 of 9613 Old 07-06-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No problems with Fox here but I had a lot of tropo from around 8:30 to 10 AM today. Got stations from Shreveport and even San Antonio. If there's a station on RF 35, it may have interfered with Fox given how much was coming in from afar.

In repacking news (or lack thereof), I think everyone just took all of last week off for the holiday. Absolutely nothing happened as far as I could tell, even though it's been two weeks, and everyone was saying "we should be ready in another two weeks."
rakstr likes this.
post #9252 of 9613 Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Recent past two weeks I've seen my 'Pals add a Ch 26 from somewhere, probably San Antonio. One morning one of them said it had added a 26.3 and 26.6, I pressed OK but when I tried to tune to either one they were not in the 'Pals channel list which was odd. Usually when a distant station comes in overnight but goes away I'll get "0" signal but it is saved to memory. Maybe it was coming in and out while the 'Pal was attempting to save it and failed, I don't know. A morning or two later it had added 26.1 and another 26, this time saved in the channels, but "0" signal when I tried those.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 07-06-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #9253 of 9613 Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 PM

KAZD 55.6 is color bars now.

post #9254 of 9613 Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

QVC is back on 55.4 too. So after all their changes, it's now back just like it was when they started!

Well, maybe not "just" like it was; at least 55.6's label isn't BIZTV any more.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.
post #9255 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Somewhat old news, but I don't recall it being mentioned here: CBS will be launching a new diginet "DABL" on Sept 9, on either KTVT or KTXA. Will be focused on lifestyle programming, home reno, DIY projects, etc.
post #9256 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 AM

KTXA has been carrying a duplicate MeTV signal (not in the PAT and no PMT, just ES PIDs) for quite a while now, so that seems like a potential landing spot. It would probably be 21.3 once they light it up for real.
post #9257 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Somewhat old news, but I don't recall it being mentioned here: CBS will be launching a new diginet "DABL" on Sept 9, on either KTVT or KTXA. Will be focused on lifestyle programming, home reno, DIY projects, etc.
Just curious, but does anyone know why channel 4 has never set up any subchannels? They're the only major network channel in the Metroplex that hasn't. If they shared the RF with channel 27 it would make sense not to, but it seems like they have a lot of potential real estate that is just sitting there fallow.
post #9258 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Just curious, but does anyone know why channel 4 has never set up any subchannels? They're the only major network channel in the Metroplex that hasn't. If they shared the RF with channel 27 it would make sense not to, but it seems like they have a lot of potential real estate that is just sitting there fallow.
My guess is that Fox wanted to give KDFW the full amount of available bandwidth on its channel (which I'm sure sports fans appreciate), so they put all the subchannels on KDFI. Plus, since they are marketing KDFI as "Fox 4 More", they probably saw fit to put the "more" channels on it instead of on KDFW.
post #9259 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think KDFW is still using Fox's "splicer" instead of a standard statmux. IIRC the "splicer" limits the data rate to a rather low value; roughly enough for one additional SD channel (maybe two if you push it). Long ago, KDFW carried weather radar on 4.2. It didn't last long though.

More recently, the limited bandwidth allowed for additional channels by Fox's "splicer" was used for a low-definition simulcast for mobile/handheld devices with TV tuners. But that didn't last long either before it was encrypted for the Dyle subscription TV system, which naturally failed.
See The Light likes this.
post #9260 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
CBS will be launching a new diginet "DABL" on Sept 9, on either KTVT or KTXA. Will be focused on lifestyle programming, home reno, DIY projects, etc.
"DABL?" A Web search turns up "Data Analysis Baseline Library," "Duluth (Minn.) Area Bass League," and "Delegació d'Alumnes del Baix Llobregat" (Catalan: Delegation of Students from Lower Llobregat; Technical University of Catalonia; Spain); not seeing a diginet yet though....

Oh, wait; is this it? https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...style-net-dabl

If that's it, it looks like they're going head-to-head against PBS's "Create...."
post #9261 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
I think KDFW is still using Fox's "splicer" instead of a standard statmux. IIRC the "splicer" limits the data rate to a rather low value; roughly enough for one additional SD channel (maybe two if you push it).
I checked and saw about 21% null packets or around 4Mbps. Which explains at least partially the compression artifacts I noticed while watching the World Cup.

Keeping accurate or even just stable time has been a problem lately.
post #9262 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I think KDFW is still using Fox's "splicer" instead of a standard statmux. IIRC the "splicer" limits the data rate to a rather low value; roughly enough for one additional SD channel (maybe two if you push it). Long ago, KDFW carried weather radar on 4.2. It didn't last long though.

More recently, the limited bandwidth allowed for additional channels by Fox's "splicer" was used for a low-definition simulcast for mobile/handheld devices with TV tuners. But that didn't last long either before it was encrypted for the Dyle subscription TV system, which naturally failed.
I may be wrong, but I think the latest gen of the splicer system moved to MPEG4 feeds that get transcoded to MPEG2 in realtime by the IRD, similar to how most cable networks are delivered. They can still do the actual splicing to insert local content, but they use less satellite bandwidth to deliver the feeds. There's presumably some level of control in the bitrate being output there.

Quote:
My guess is that Fox wanted to give KDFW the full amount of available bandwidth on its channel (which I'm sure sports fans appreciate), so they put all the subchannels on KDFI. Plus, since they are marketing KDFI as "Fox 4 More", they probably saw fit to put the "more" channels on it instead of on KDFW.
Not having subchannels doesn't seem to make much of a difference in PQ. Sports on Fox consistently look bad to me. CBS and NBC completely blow away Fox on football, and NBC and even Telemundo are vastly better than Fox on soccer. I see the same problems on other Fox stations when traveling and FS1/FS2 via DirecTV as well. Always the same problems, too. The overall picture is soft, there's always noise floating around the edge of players, and the grass can never quite decide if it wants to be blobs of green or have some definition or what.
post #9263 of 9613 Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Long ago, KDFW carried weather radar on 4.2. It didn't last long though.
That makes sense. Plus it would negatively impact Dan Henry's practice of interrupting programs with long segments, when other stations put weather warnings in a crawl or wait until commercial breaks to bring us weather warnings. He seems to take sadistic pleasure dragging them out and even going on to deliver the standard weather segment in these breaks where he discusses what the weather will be doing 15-20 hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
Keeping accurate or even just stable time has been a problem lately.
That seems to be a problem I have with automatic reboots of a DVR+ that frequently set the clock 5-6 minutes behind the actual time. @JHBrandt pointed out that KTXD's clock is off by more than 5 hours, and has been for about 3 weeks now. 5 hours and 8 minutes slow, despite my having sent them an e-mail asking them to have their engineer fix what should be a simple correction. It's been about two weeks since I contacted them, and not only have they not fixed it, they haven't even responded to my e-mail with a pro forma acknowledgement that they received it. I don't know if my DVR+ sets the time based on an average of all the channels (of which KTXD would have 6 channels in the average), or an average of all the RF frequencies it scans.
post #9264 of 9613 Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
That makes sense. Plus it would negatively impact Dan Henry's practice of interrupting programs with long segments, when other stations put weather warnings in a crawl or wait until commercial breaks to bring us weather warnings. He seems to take sadistic pleasure dragging them out and even going on to deliver the standard weather segment in these breaks where he discusses what the weather will be doing 15-20 hours later.

That seems to be a problem I have with automatic reboots of a DVR+ that frequently set the clock 5-6 minutes behind the actual time. @JHBrandt pointed out that KTXD's clock is off by more than 5 hours, and has been for about 3 weeks now. 5 hours and 8 minutes slow, despite my having sent them an e-mail asking them to have their engineer fix what should be a simple correction. It's been about two weeks since I contacted them, and not only have they not fixed it, they haven't even responded to my e-mail with a pro forma acknowledgement that they received it. I don't know if my DVR+ sets the time based on an average of all the channels (of which KTXD would have 6 channels in the average), or an average of all the RF frequencies it scans.
My experience with complaints about time problems is that almost no one replies and fewer are interested in fixing the problems. The phrase I saw used somewhere is "technically non-compliant". Which I translate as being a violation of FCC regulations but who gives a...

I looked at the data for KTXD and it has been variable so far this year. It started out not too bad but in February flipped to 18000 seconds slow (and running slow). In late March it lost the 18,000 second offset. Then in early June in went back to 18,000+ seconds slow.

Based on that I expect that if they "fixed" it today, it would still be 520 seconds slow after removing that 18,000 second offset.
post #9265 of 9613 Old 07-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Something weird going on at WFAA. 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 are all squished in 4:3 with black sidebars in a 16:9 frame.
post #9266 of 9613 Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sent an email yesterday to KFWD 52 about their audio levels on 52.2 and also the 4:3 formatting of the 19.9 programming. FIXED in one day! Got a note from a BizTV VP of Operations who got my email forwarded to him and he turned that around and sent it to the engineer at KFWD who took care of the technical problems. Kind of a convoluted path but it got fixed! Seems the 'CALM" audio processing needed to be turned on and the output needed to be set to 16:9.
See The Light and JHBrandt like this.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 07-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #9267 of 9613 Old 07-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Decades will return as a subchannel this quarter, but via KDFW or KDFI...
https://tvnewscheck.com/article/2366...cades-diginet/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9268 of 9613 Old 07-11-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope it's KDFW this time. KDFI is getting really crowded, with four SD subchannels already, and KDFW does have that unused ~4Mb/s.... If they're not going use it to beef up 4.1, might as well allocate it to a decent subchannel.
post #9269 of 9613 Old 07-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
Something weird going on at WFAA. 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 are all squished in 4:3 with black sidebars in a 16:9 frame.
Looks like it's back to normal now. For a second I thought they were going to try to slip some sidebar advertising in there on us.

Quote:
I hope it's KDFW this time. KDFI is getting really crowded, with four SD subchannels already, and KDFW does have that unused ~4Mb/s.... If they're not going use it to beef up 4.1, might as well allocate it to a decent subchannel.
That would be better than nothing. But Decades is pretty much another version of Cozy, Antenna TV and Start. I'd like to see something more off the wall and unique that would really set it apart from the other OTA network channels. KDFW is a major channel, and I don't think Decades is really a compliment to their real estate. To that end, I wouldn't mind of 33.4 or 47.2 dropped one of the Charge versions and switched to something different. Charge on 33.4 has CC, but Charge on 47.2 has better program descriptions than the one line descriptions 33.4 uses.
post #9270 of 9613 Old 07-11-2019, 10:34 PM

KDAF is getting Court TV on 11/1. I hope it replaces the redundant Charge on 33.4, although the Court TV site says it's going to 33.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page