332Likes

post #9301 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
BTW, even the "big boys" at KTXD/47 apparently haven't figured out how to set a clock properly either

Much improved since 4PM yesterday. Although it still fails the +/-1 second requirement.
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Glad to hear it! Let's hope it "sticks" this time.
post #9303 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
RF 2 might be available, though: I haven't seen or heard of KSFW being lit up in years. They're currently licensed to broadcast from Cedar Hill, but the last time they were on the air, they broadcasted from downtown, with a signal beamed due north so I couldn't receive it. I'm told the content was merely infomercials though, so I guess I didn't miss anything.
KSFW might have to come back on the air at some point, as there's actually a station gunning for RF2.

Back in May 2018, K48NY (licensed to Gainesville, but their very-short-range transmitter is/was located near Weston) submitted a displacement application to the FCC, with a proposal for RF2, broadcasting from a transmitter located in southwest McKinney: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...ilityId=128569

Their proposal shows a ~32% interference with KSFW's licensed coverage area, with Dallas and almost all of Ft. Worth being caught in between the two: https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....2&cir=&circen=

Their proposal is still pending with the FCC, so it could still get denied. And I'm not sure when the last time K48NY was actually broadcasting, so they might not even do anything. But with so much overlap, something's gotta give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9304 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
(OT: I'm becoming increasingly cynical about ATSC 3.0. More and more I'm viewing it as a bait-and-switch, with the "bait" being mostly hype - it's basically the failed ATSC 2.0 plus 4K, and most folks who buy a 4K TV think they already have 4K, so the "bait" isn't even that attractive - and the "switch" is DRM, which means more expensive equipment designed to take control away from the viewer; e.g., forced ads.)
Isn't the hook for viewers the interactive aspect that comes with ATSC 3.0 having an Internet component, and the hook for broadcasters being the data collection? To that end, I would think that the big network stations would be the first to embrace it, with customized micro weather information and streaming capabilities for local and network programming.
post #9305 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, ATSC 2.0 had the same interactive aspect but never caught on. It's being oversold, IMO. As I said on the ATSC 3.0 thread, no matter how much fancy technology they throw at it, ATSC 3.0 is still broadcast; IOW the exact same thing is always being sent to every receiver in the metroplex. That limits what you can do: if someone clicks an "interactive" link or button, the broadcast doesn't pause until you're finished, so unless your tuner is a DVR and can buffer the incoming A/V, or the station provides a robust streaming infrastructure so it can be a "cloud DVR" for your tuner, you're going to miss part of the broadcast by taking that "interactive" link.

To me, the true benefit of ATSC 3.0 is its better bit rate and much better video compression that could go a long way toward easing the bandwidth crunch we're in now. That's why I wish they had held repacking off until an orderly transition to ATSC 3.0 could have occurred. But given where we now are, the only way left to introduce ATSC 3.0 is to take away an ATSC 1.0 station and distribute its channels among other ATSC 1.0 stations; so things have to get even worse before they can start getting better.

Sorry to hijack the thread with my OT comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
KSFW might have to come back on the air at some point, as there's actually a station gunning for RF2.

Back in May 2018, K48NY (licensed to Gainesville, but their very-short-range transmitter is/was located near Weston) submitted a displacement application to the FCC, with a proposal for RF2, broadcasting from a transmitter located in southwest McKinney: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...ilityId=128569

I'm not sure when the last time K48NY was actually broadcasting, so they might not even do anything.
Believe it or not, K48NY came up when KSTR (also on RF 48 at the time) was pursuing STA for its ATSC 3.0 SFN. One of the SFN sites would have interfered with it, so ONE Media hired someone to check it out. Here's what he found: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...69dfd3d64228f3.

Long story short; it appears this station no longer exists. Still, if someone really wanted RF 2, they could presumably force the issue by challenging KSFW's license. No matter how that might shake out, we'd end up with a station there.
post #9306 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, K48NY came up when KSTR (also on RF 48 at the time) was pursuing STA for its ATSC 3.0 SFN. One of the SFN sites would have interfered with it, so ONE Media hired someone to check it out. Here's what he found: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...69dfd3d64228f3.

Long story short; it appears this station no longer exists. Still, if someone really wanted RF 2, they could presumably force the issue by challenging KSFW's license. No matter how that might shake out, we'd end up with a station there.
Very interesting... the K48NY licensee noted in the affidavit has had her name on all of K48NY's activity since 2011, so you would think she would be aware of any activity over the past 8 years. Their licenses to cover have them jumping all over north Texas, with most locations not having any signs of a transmitter:

• October 2011 - Thackerville, OK - Coordinates places it in the middle of a wooded area. Highly doubt there was ever a transmitter here.
  • June 2013 - Thackerville, OK - Slightly further south, in the middle of an open field. If there was ever a transmitter here, there is no longer any sign of it.
  • July 2014 - Tioga, TX - Behind a gas station near some apartments, no sign of a transmitter.
  • September 2014 - McKinney, TX - This one is listed as a "minor modification", but it's the first that actually has a transmitter at its location. However, this was superseded on the same day by...
  • September 2014 - Celina/Weston, TX - "Minor Modification". Open field, most likely part of the JW Ranch noted in the affidavit. If there was ever a transmitter here, there is no longer any sign of it.
  • April 2015 - Celina/Weston, TX - Same as above, but this time a proper License to Cover.
  • May 2018 - McKinney, TX - Displacement, back to the McKinney transmitter from above.
Taking all this into account, even if they were granted displacement to RF2, I doubt anything would come of it.

But then again, they did go through the effort to file for displacement and conduct a tvstudy, instead of ceasing their (non-existent) operations... but the licensee did not disclose any of this to the ONE Media contractor earlier this year...

So whoooo knowsss...

Last edited by PlnOTA; 07-19-2019 at 01:13 AM.
post #9307 of 9613 Old 07-18-2019, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Looks like KAZD/55 (Azteca, QVC, former home of Biz TV) finally made their repacking move last night. That surprised me, but I don't really watch it so I may have missed a "crawl" announcing the change.

If you watch anything there, you can manually scan RF 31 to get them back.

I manually scanned in 31 to get KAZD/55.

We watch 55.7 Advenimiento TV.

But with this change to 31 here's what I noticed tonight -- Signal drops that I do not remember occurring before.
Yes, it was particularly windy today at times. And maybe there's some fine tuning that is ongoing by their engineer.

Signal Strength Readings: 60/58/29/45
Signal Quality Readings: 100/52/100

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9308 of 9613 Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Actually 6 isn't available either! RabbitEars doesn't show it, but there's a "FrankenFM" (an analog TV station being used as a low-power FM station, since most FM radios will tune the audio carrier at 87.75 MHz) on RF 6: KZFW.
If a station isn't on RabbitEars, does it really exist?
Quote:
RF 2 might be available, though: I haven't seen or heard of KSFW being lit up in years. They're currently licensed to broadcast from Cedar Hill, but the last time they were on the air, they broadcasted from downtown, with a signal beamed due north so I couldn't receive it. I'm told the content was merely infomercials though, so I guess I didn't miss anything.
3kW on channel 2 ought to come booming in here, but I don't have anything that will receive low VHF. Anyone know where to get a set of rabbit ears that will extend a full 8+ feet to get channel 2?
Quote:
BTW, even the "big boys" at KTXD/47 apparently haven't figured out how to set a clock properly either
It's within 1 second of my clock right now, so maybe they're reading and sick of us bad mouthing them .
Quote:
Beefing up K26KC will have to wait until repacking phase 8, when KTEN (in Bromide, OK) moves off of RF 26. And it still might run into some trouble with K44GS (KERA's Wichita Falls translator), which moved to RF 26 (don't know if they have new call letters yet). It's always been little more than a simulcast of KHFD anyway.
K26NK-D, and I don't think there's any issue with conflict between it and K26KC. KXAS is transmitting at 925kW from 600' higher up than K26KC and doesn't quite hit K26NK's protected contour, at least on RE (which I believe uses different parameters from the FCC, but it's close enough for this). Going to 15kW shouldn't be an issue once KTEN is gone, unless there's some other 26 out there (I haven't looked).

Quote:
About the only reasonable proposal I've heard for K31MU was jd8000's idea to partner with K25FW on an ATSC 3.0 SFN. But ATSC 3.0 is still over a year away. Besides, how many who go out and buy a new, expensive ATSC 3.0 STB will use it to watch HSN and SD religious shows? I doubt we'll see an ATSC 3.0 LP station any time soon. (OT: I'm becoming increasingly cynical about ATSC 3.0. More and more I'm viewing it as a bait-and-switch, with the "bait" being mostly hype - it's basically the failed ATSC 2.0 plus 4K, and most folks who buy a 4K TV think they already have 4K, so the "bait" isn't even that attractive - and the "switch" is DRM, which means more expensive equipment designed to take control away from the viewer; e.g., forced ads.)
Would be a good place to carry some of the subchannel networks that have HD feeds. Maybe one of the big operators puts something in their carriage deals where the current holders keep the station in SD on regular ATSC, but then they're also available in HD on the 3.0 station. More bandwidth + H.264 means they could load it up with a bunch of channels and actually give people a reason to spend the money. Not likely to happen though, and I'm with you that it will probably end up being a bust when DRM gets turned on.
post #9309 of 9613 Old 07-19-2019, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
If a station isn't on RabbitEars, does it really exist?
RabbitEars doesn't list analog stations except in very specific circumstances. Most of the channel 6 analog stations that are pretending to be FM broadcasters do not fit that bill.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9310 of 9613 Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 PM

KDTN turned their new RF29 transmitter back on early this afternoon, and it's still on as of 10PM. Wonder if they plan on keeping it on over the weekend to see how it holds up.

They're still transmitting on RF43 as well, but if the new transmitter doesn't have issues over the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the plug on RF43 next week.
See The Light likes this.
post #9311 of 9613 Old 07-20-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Going to 15kW shouldn't be an issue once KTEN is gone, unless there's some other 26 out there (I haven't looked).
Yeah K26NK's coverage area doesn't get nearly as close to DFW as KTEN's does. There's KXXV in Waco (virtual channel 25 - hence the call letters - but RF 26), but they're to the south and K26KC has a directional antenna with little RF energy going southward. So it would probably be OK for K26KC to max out its power once KTEN moves.

At that point one might start to wonder if there's any point in KHFD any more, but 3 kW at RF 13 probably covers more ground than 15 kW at RF 26. In any case I'd like to see them pick one and relinquish the other, along with K21KJ.
Quote:
[K31MU+K25FW w]ould be a good place to carry some of the subchannel networks that have HD feeds. Maybe one of the big operators puts something in their carriage deals where the current holders keep the station in SD on regular ATSC, but then they're also available in HD on the 3.0 station. More bandwidth + H.264 5 means they could load it up with a bunch of channels and actually give people a reason to spend the money.
That's a good idea. If we could just get the ATSC 3.0 boosters interested, something like that would actually make an ATSC 3.0 tuner worth buying.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-20-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #9312 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 01:12 AM

KLEG is now up and running on RF28, same lineup as before.

Just KTXD remaining now...
See The Light likes this.
post #9313 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Trip in VA the live bandscans at RabbitEars.info are down....
post #9314 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KLEG is now up and running on RF28, same lineup as before.
Well, almost.... 44.8 is gone and 44.5 seems to be English-language infomercials at the moment. Edit: Faith is back on 44.8 and Diya is back on 44.5 again. Didn't take them long to fix those.

Also, there are some glitches: 44.1 has no sound on my DTVPal, and SAB TV is actually on 44.4, not 44.3 as labeled; 44.3 is actually JCBS, a Korean-language Christian broadcast. I think the labeling issue was there before the move though.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-21-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #9315 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:

DNS problem. Server's up, but nobody can see it. I've asked Scott what's going on and not heard from him yet.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9316 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, totally unrelated to repacking or anything, I just noticed that Ion renamed 68-3 from Ion Life to IonPlus. Probably happened some time ago but I just now noticed. I guess they've dropped the "lifestyle" branding and it's just another crime drama channel like Ion and StartTV.
post #9317 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Okay, DNS should be fixed now. It may take a few minutes to a few hours to propagate through the Internet. Let me know if you still can't see it after a while.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #9318 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
BTW, totally unrelated to repacking or anything, I just noticed that Ion renamed 68-3 from Ion Life to IonPlus. Probably happened some time ago but I just now noticed. I guess they've dropped the "lifestyle" branding and it's just another crime drama channel like Ion and StartTV.
The ION Plus branding took effect on July 1st. Here in the Cleveland/Akron area, the network is carried on former TBN station WDLI, which is now sharing it's frequency with with ION's O&O WVPX. ION Media bought WDLI's license along with the licenses of several other TBN stations that also agreed to share frequencies. The idea was to gain cable coverage using the former TBN station rather than negotiating carriage of the .3 sub.

IMO, ION Plus is completely pointless as they only show a few shows. Why didn't they just add these shows to the regular ION network where more people could see them and in HD? They could have just kept ION Life, replaced it with something else or simply deactivate the channel. Also, someone needs to tell ION to quit letterboxing qubo, ION Life/Plus & the shopping channels. The bulk of programming on these networks are in widescreen and the majority of viewers now own or have access to HDTVs. Letterboxing is not necessary anymore in 2019, and if it needs to be done the viewer can manually adjust the picture size.

Newer is not always better.
post #9319 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Okay, DNS should be fixed now. It may take a few minutes to a few hours to propagate through the Internet. Let me know if you still can't see it after a while.

- Trip
Still not working here (Spectrum Internet)

Edit: It's fixed now. Yay!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-21-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #9320 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Also, someone needs to tell ION to quit letterboxing qubo, ION Life/Plus & the shopping channels. The bulk of programming on these networks are in widescreen and the majority of viewers now own or have access to HDTVs. Letterboxing is not necessary anymore in 2019, and if it needs to be done the viewer can manually adjust the picture size.
I agree, get rid of the letterboxing and switch the channels to 480i 16:9. And if presenting things properly to viewers on 4:3 screens is important, use AFD to signal whether programs are 4:3 or 16:9, and a lot of boxes will follow that. Just don't pull a Univision and set it wrong.
Quote:
Still not working here (Spectrum Internet)
Working here on Spectrum, although I use Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1) instead of Charter's.
post #9321 of 9613 Old 07-21-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I agree, get rid of the letterboxing and switch the channels to 480i 16:9. And if presenting things properly to viewers on 4:3 screens is important, use AFD to signal whether programs are 4:3 or 16:9, and a lot of boxes will follow that. Just don't pull a Univision and set it wrong.
That's a great idea. Too bad most stations and/or networks don't enforce it. A station here carries Movies, H&I, Start TV & Decades and they all automatically letterbox commercials and widescreen programming when using a Zenith DTT-901 set to "set by program". Everyone else does not take advantage of this feature.

Univision also has an O&O station here and they've been pretty good at setting the correct aspect ratio, though it did take a while for them to convert Escape to 16:9 when Katz Broadcasting required affiliates to carry their networks in widescreen.

Newer is not always better.
post #9322 of 9613 Old 07-22-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KDTN turned their new RF29 transmitter back on early this afternoon, and it's still on as of 10PM. Wonder if they plan on keeping it on over the weekend to see how it holds up.

They're still transmitting on RF43 as well, but if the new transmitter doesn't have issues over the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the plug on RF43 next week.
Strangely they haven't turned off RF 43 yet. I'd think T-Mobile would be itching to get their cell towers activated. (I can already see RF energy on RF 38, 39, and sometimes 40.)
post #9323 of 9613 Old 07-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

I was hoping to test out an antenna (HD Stacker) I bought last year on some VHF-Lo stations. Unfortunately, based on my TV Fool report I am wondering if I will be able to receive any of these. My antenna points roughly 123* toward Cedar Hill, so the only ones I will have even a small chance of receiving are KSFW-LD and KZFW-LP. And from what I've read here, RF2 is not up and running, and RF6 is most likely not going to work because of FM interference. Am I correct in this conclusion? The list I have are these:

KSFW-LD RF2 123*
KHFW-LD RF4 90*
KXDA-LD RF5 77*
KZFW-LP RF6 123*
KBFW-LP RF6 205*
post #9324 of 9613 Old 07-23-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I was hoping to test out an antenna (HD Stacker) I bought last year on some VHF-Lo stations. Unfortunately, based on my TV Fool report I am wondering if I will be able to receive any of these. My antenna points roughly 123* toward Cedar Hill, so the only ones I will have even a small chance of receiving are KSFW-LD and KZFW-LP. And from what I've read here, RF2 is not up and running, and RF6 is most likely not going to work because of FM interference. Am I correct in this conclusion? The list I have are these:

KSFW-LD RF2 123*
KHFW-LD RF4 90*
KXDA-LD RF5 77*
KZFW-LP RF6 123*
KBFW-LP RF6 205*
Currently, KXDA (RF5) is the only station actively broadcasting on VHF-Low, from a tower in Garland (not Cedar Hill). KSFW (RF2) and KHFW (RF4) are currently off the air, and KODF (RF3) hasn't started broadcasting on their new channel (probably still under construction).

KZFW and KBFW are what are known as Franken FM stations - analog TV stations that are being used for FM radio broadcasts (TV RF6 contains FM 87.7MHz). The former covers Dallas, while the later covers Fort Worth. If you have an analog tuner, you could probably tune these stations on your TV, won't get anything with a digital tuner though. The FCC has set the analog TV shutdown date for June 2021, so we'll have to see what happens once that gets closer.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 07-23-2019 at 12:51 AM.
post #9325 of 9613 Old 07-23-2019, 03:55 AM

I'm not sure how much low VHF performance you're going to get on the HD Stacker anyway. The rear element is listed at 60.3", and it's a reflector, not driven. Since a reflector is normally 5% longer than the driven element, that would make the driven element 57.4", which basically corresponds to 1/2 wavelength for 98MHz, the center of the FM band. It ought to be fine for UHF, high VHF, or FM, but I don't think it's going to do much below that. I haven't seen anyone do proper modeling of it though, so it's just me guessing based on what I can make out from the bit of information posted on the site. There was a post years back on another forum where @holl_ands offered to model it if someone supplied detailed dimensions and photos, but as far as I can tell no one ever supplied the requested information.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9326 of 9613 Old 07-23-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
The list I have are these:

KSFW-LD RF2 123*
KHFW-LD RF4 90*
KXDA-LD RF5 77*
KZFW-LP RF6 123*
KBFW-LP RF6 205*
Probably what you'll eventually get in FW are:

• KSFW-LD RF2 (currently off the air)
  • KODF-LD RF3 (currently off the air)
  • KWDA-LD RF 4 (currently off the air)
  • KPFW-LD RF 5 (currently off the air)
  • KBFW-LP RF 6 (FrankenFM)

IOW not much there at the moment. (You can tune KBFW with your FM radio at 87.7 MHz. It's Spanish though.) The first three will broadcast from Cedar Hill if/when they light up. KPFW will broadcast from Arlington, so its signal should be strong even though it'll be way off-axis. Not sure how well the HD Stacker will stack up at these low frequencies, but there's no way to tell until one of these lights up.
post #9327 of 9613 Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Currently, KXDA (RF5) is the only station actively broadcasting on VHF-Low, from a tower in Garland (not Cedar Hill).
Quote:
I'm not sure how much low VHF performance you're going to get on the HD Stacker anyway.
Using a DVR+, I am currently getting a "50" on signal strength, but "0" on signal quality for KXDA. Those numbers are probably just something the DVR+ uses, and are not standardized units. But that is also with the antenna pointed about 40*-45* to the south of where it should be to receive KXDA. None of my other devices show signal strength or quality. Based on previous experiences, the "50" is more than enough signal strength to pull in a channel, but signal quality is more important. If these were analog signals I'm sure I would see nothing but snow for these channels, but I am hoping they can hit that threshold a digital signal. I may have to get on the roof and rotate the antenna to the north and see if KXDA will light it up, though KSFW really seems to be my only option without messing with the antenna. And I am hesitant to do that since it seems to be pointing in a sweet spot right now.
post #9328 of 9613 Old 07-23-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So you are picking KXDA up - just undecodeable, at least without re-aiming the antenna. I'm much closer and get KXDA fine but I can tell you, you aren't missing much: three Spanish religious channels (they picked up Alcance on 41-2 when KWDA had to shut down) and two channels with just color bars.

If/when KPFW lights up, it will blow KXDA away since they'll be so much closer in Arlington. You may be able to receive KPFW even with the antenna pointed at Cedar Hill.
post #9329 of 9613 Old 07-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Probably what you'll eventually get in FW are:
  • KODF-LD RF3 (currently off the air)
  • KPFW-LD RF 5 (currently off the air)
...The first three will broadcast from Cedar Hill if/when they light up. KPFW will broadcast from Arlington, so its signal should be strong even though it'll be way off-axis. Not sure how well the HD Stacker will stack up at these low frequencies, but there's no way to tell until one of these lights up.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about KODF, as they are still listed as RF27 on TV Fool. KPFW will be a good test for the HD Stacker's capability with the 23* offset. I was getting great reception for KUVN's Fort Worth transmitter with an 80* offset, but they were UHF and less than 3 miles away. The main reason I bought the HD Stacker was for VHF reception to get WFAA and KFWD, so if it doesn't pick up these other channels I'm not really out much.

Quote:
So you are picking KXDA up - just undecodeable, at least without re-aiming the antenna. I'm much closer and get KXDA fine but I can tell you, you aren't missing much: three Spanish religious channels (they picked up Alcance on 41-2 when KWDA had to shut down) and two channels with just color bars.
But remember, he who dies with the most channels, wins...

Quote:
If/when KPFW lights up, it will blow KXDA away since they'll be so much closer in Arlington. You may be able to receive KPFW even with the antenna pointed at Cedar Hill.
That would be alright with me. Every now and then I toy with the idea of aiming the antenna 180* - 210* to see if I can pull in some of those Hill Country stations.
post #9330 of 9613 Old 07-24-2019, 08:43 AM

Looks like KDTN's new RF29 transmitter is either having issues, or they're actively working on it. Currently looks to be off, but I've seen it come back on at full strength w/o a program stream for a bit before going off again. They're still broadcasting on RF43, however.

Also, not sure if it's in prep. for their upcoming move, but KTXD's (RF46) main program (Stadium) has taken a massive quality hit. It looks to be a letterboxed SD video that has been stretched to 1080i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page