332Likes

post #9391 of 9634 Old 08-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
I did not do a channel re-scan in the last several days, but Daystar is now appearing at 51.1 but I did have Daystar already manually scanned in on RF29.
That Daystar was added as a subchannel on RF29 on Friday. So now we have two Daystar broadcasts on RF29: 2.1 KDTN (1080i) and 51.1 KPTD (480i). Waste of bandwidth really.
KPTD was an analog station in Paris TX broadcasting Daystar, but the RF29 signal doesn't even reach Paris. My best guess is that they're doing this to keep their KPTD license alive while they (slowly) get around to building a new transmitter in Paris.
See The Light likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9634 Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2853 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
Now that the dust has settled on the DFW repack, I finally decided to update my old Windows Media Center PC with all the new RF channels.

WMC uses TiVo (Rovi) channel guides, so this may be of help to TiVo users too. For the most part, TiVo/Rovi had moved everything correctly, so I didn't have to do much other than disabling the old RF channel numbers. But they still have a few channels fouled up: 2.x on KDTN, 44.x on KLEG, and 47.x and 49.2 on KTXD. So I had to delete all those with Guide Tool, add them all back manually under their correct RF channels, and resubscribe them to their correct channel guides with Guide Tool, to get them fixed.

TiVo/Rovi still has 2.x, 44.x, and 47.x on their original channels. They did move 49.2, but mistakenly moved it to RF33, where 49.1 and 49.3 moved to. By coincidence, 23.4 was working, but only because it happened to end up on the same frequency it started out on: RF23.

I expect TiVo/Rovi to get this straightened out eventually; until they do, TiVo owners may have trouble with the same channels I did.

It's also interesting that several of my tuners (both WMC and my Pals) all seemed to choke on the same channel: KTXD. The musical chairs KTXD, KUVN, and KSTR played in April, followed by the confusion of their delayed repack move, may have cost their channels more OTA viewers than other channels.
Jim-W likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-04-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #9393 of 9634 Old 08-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm out of the area, but am trying to help a friend in Mesquite. I'm looking for the World channel, which is usually associated with the local PBS affiliate. I didnt' see it on the KERA page; just Kids, and Create. Who carries WORLD over-the-air in the DFW metroplex? thanks gang.
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9394 of 9634 Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoswell View Post
I'm out of the area, but am trying to help a friend in Mesquite. I'm looking for the World channel, which is usually associated with the local PBS affiliate. I didnt' see it on the KERA page; just Kids, and Create. Who carries WORLD over-the-air in the DFW metroplex? thanks gang.
Kelly
Unfortunately the brilliant minds of management at KERA took off World 13.2 and replaced it with 24 Hr Kids channel.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9395 of 9634 Old 08-04-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Unfortunately the brilliant minds of management at KERA took off World 13.2 and replaced it with 24 Hr Kids channel.
(as one old friend used to say, "SHUCK EE DURN") hahahah

That explains it. thanks for the help. And my condolences to the viewers of World Channel in the area.
Kelly
post #9396 of 9634 Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
And to rub salt in the wound, they basically run the same "Kids" programming on their main channel for a big chunk of the day.
post #9397 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Now that the dust has settled on the DFW repack, I finally decided to update my old Windows Media Center PC with all the new RF channels.

WMC uses TiVo (Rovi) channel guides, so this may be of help to TiVo users too. For the most part, TiVo/Rovi had moved everything correctly, so I didn't have to do much other than disabling the old RF channel numbers. But they still have a few channels fouled up: 2.x on KDTN, 44.x on KLEG, and 47.x and 49.2 on KTXD. So I had to delete all those with Guide Tool, add them all back manually under their correct RF channels, and resubscribe them to their correct channel guides with Guide Tool, to get them fixed.

TiVo/Rovi still has 2.x, 44.x, and 47.x on their original channels. They did move 49.2, but mistakenly moved it to RF33, where 49.1 and 49.3 moved to. By coincidence, 23.4 was working, but only because it happened to end up on the same frequency it started out on: RF23.

I expect TiVo/Rovi to get this straightened out eventually; until they do, TiVo owners may have trouble with the same channels I did.

It's also interesting that several of my tuners (both WMC and my Pals) all seemed to choke on the same channel: KTXD. The musical chairs KTXD, KUVN, and KSTR played in April, followed by the confusion of their delayed repack move, may have cost their channels more OTA viewers than other channels.
Confirmed, TiVo is still messed up in Dallas. It is ashamed they have to make their corrections manually. I had submitted the channel lineup changes a couple of days ago. They have not yet responded other than a standard automated response.

On the Dallas Repack 3, it took them about 10 days. If we are lucky it would be less time this time? LOL
post #9398 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Kelly
Quote:
KERA must be cheap. My local PBS station (WVIZ) has World, Create & PBS Kids. In addition, they also have the Ohio Channel (locally produced content from other PBS stations in Ohio and live state court house hearings) and an audio only subchannel that carries The Cleveland Sight Center Network, a reading service for the visually impaired. The channel lineup is as follows...

25.1 - WVIZ/PBS (1080i)
25.2 - Ohio Channel (480i 16:9)
25.3 - PBS World (480i 16:9)
25.4 - Create (480i 16:9)
25.5 - PBS Kids (480i 16:9)
25.9 - Cleveland Sight Center Network (Audio only)

Since the addition of PBS Kids, the station has been using up to date encoders. Picture quality across all the channels is as good as it gets. I have never noticed much degradation on their main channel, and the subchannels also look good. If KERA has somewhat decent VBR encoders, they should be able to put PBS World on a .4 sub with very little degradation to the rest of the channels. I would contact KERA and ask them to bring back PBS World on a new subchannel. Ask others who watch KERA to do the same. If they get enough requests, then maybe they'll start airing it again.
See The Light likes this.

Newer is not always better.
post #9399 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I grew up with the big 3 when fuzzy ole WVIZ entered the spectrum in SE Cleveland Been gone for some time now but isn't "The Ohio Channel" a State level version of C-SPAN so to speak and mandated to qualify for certain State funding? Not meaning to be positive nor negative about it, just wanting to clarify if it's really carried "out of the goodness of the heart"

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
KERA must be cheap. My local PBS station (WVIZ) has World, Create & PBS Kids. In addition, they also have the Ohio Channel (locally produced content from other PBS stations in Ohio and live state court house hearings) and an audio only subchannel that carries The Cleveland Sight Center Network, a reading service for the visually impaired. The channel lineup is as follows...

25.1 - WVIZ/PBS (1080i)
25.2 - Ohio Channel (480i 16:9)
25.3 - PBS World (480i 16:9)
25.4 - Create (480i 16:9)
25.5 - PBS Kids (480i 16:9)
25.9 - Cleveland Sight Center Network (Audio only)

Since the addition of PBS Kids, the station has been using up to date encoders. Picture quality across all the channels is as good as it gets. I have never noticed much degradation on their main channel, and the subchannels also look good. If KERA has somewhat decent VBR encoders, they should be able to put PBS World on a .4 sub with very little degradation to the rest of the channels. I would contact KERA and ask them to bring back PBS World on a new subchannel. Ask others who watch KERA to do the same. If they get enough requests, then maybe they'll start airing it again.
post #9400 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
I grew up with the big 3 when fuzzy ole WVIZ entered the spectrum in SE Cleveland Been gone for some time now but isn't "The Ohio Channel" a State level version of C-SPAN so to speak and mandated to qualify for certain State funding? Not meaning to be positive nor negative about it, just wanting to clarify if it's really carried "out of the goodness of the heart"
I suppose you can say that. While just about all the PBS stations in Ohio carry the network, only two (WVIZ being one of them) carry it full time on a dedicated subchannel. The rest dual-affiliate with another network, pre-empting a portion of Create, World or PBS Kids. I guess the reason that WVIZ carries them 24/7 is that the organization that operates them (Ideastream) also operates The Ohio Channel.

Also, a live feed can be streamed from their website.

post #9401 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is a active RF listing for Dallas as of this morning 8-5-2019.

This is primarily the manual changes needed for TiVo to work correctly. Some of these changes have already been made with the Repack 3; but not for the Repack 4 a few days ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RF List Aug 5 2019.pdf (216.9 KB, 15 views)
post #9402 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I suppose you can say that. While just about all the PBS stations in Ohio carry the network, only two (WVIZ being one of them) carry it full time on a dedicated subchannel. The rest dual-affiliate with another network, pre-empting a portion of Create, World or PBS Kids. I guess the reason that WVIZ carries them 24/7 is that the organization that operates them (Ideastream) also operates The Ohio Channel.

Also, a live feed can be streamed from their website.

Thanks, everyone ! I appreciate the info.
Kelly
post #9403 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's basically it.

The RF7 mentioned is probably KLTV out of Tyler. You need to be pretty far east to pick it up reliably. I occasionally get it via tropo. Carries 7-1 through 7-3.

RF16 is the DFW police band. No TV there

RF26 does have a TV station - K26KC - but it's very weak. You'll need to be closer to Cedar Hill than I am (30 miles), or else have a better antenna than mine to get it. According to schultdw's bandscan (which just barely picks it up) it carries 7-1 (a different 7-1 than KLTV above), 51-1, 51-3 through 51-5, and 51-8. (The 51 series are KHFD, which is supposed to have its own transmitter on RF 13, but it's not on the air yet. I think they just moved 51-2 to 7-1 so they can say both stations are "on the air" and not worry about either possibly being off the air over a year and losing its license, kind of like KPTD and KDTN.)

RF34 is KSTR's transmitter, which is participating in the ATSC 3.0 SFN test. Not receivable by any current consumer equipment.
post #9404 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hoping someone can help me out. I'm getting a strange vertical blue line on KUVN 23.3 Escape. It goes up about a 3rd of the screen from the bottom. I have Frontier and I'm interested if this line is present OTA so I know who to complain to.

Thanks in advance!
post #9405 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvfan View Post
Hoping someone can help me out. I'm getting a strange vertical blue line on KUVN 23.3 Escape. It goes up about a 3rd of the screen from the bottom. I have Frontier and I'm interested if this line is present OTA so I know who to complain to.

Thanks in advance!
I see the line on OTA, so direct your complaints to Univision
post #9406 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
I see the line on OTA, so direct your complaints to Univision
Thanks for the quick reply!!
post #9407 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Kelly

The dummies dropped World from OTA. It's available to stream. KERA has a complete sub-channel dedicated to children's programming, yet they still cram much children's programming on the main channel. Why they won't get any donations from me. Get it from the people who are using your network as a baby-sitter...

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9408 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
The dummies dropped World from OTA. It's available to stream. KERA has a complete sub-channel dedicated to children's programming, yet they still cram much children's programming on the main channel. Why they won't get any donations from me. Get it from the people who are using your network as a baby-sitter...
The 24/7 PBS Kids network would be better if they aired reruns of older shows. Growing up in the 90's/00's, there are some shows that I would like to see again and that today's kids might enjoy, but perhaps a vast amount of funding would be required for them to do so. Just like World, PBS Kids is basically a "second chance" to watch a missed episode of a particular show, which can probably be streamed from their website anytime after the initial airing. And yes, the PBS station in my area is heavily focused on airing kid shows throughout the day. I think that's a common thing with most PBS affiliates.

post #9409 of 9634 Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The 24/7 PBS Kids network would be better if they aired reruns of older shows.
For a while, Ion's Qubo did that. After 10 PM they aired reruns of some "classic" cartoons and branded it Qubo After Dark or something similar Night Owl. Unfortunately they don't do that any more.

Anyhow, if I were running KERA (and if I didn't think the station's equipment could handle another subchannel) I'd air Kids on 13.2 only during evenings and weekends, and air World on it overnight and during weekdays. There's very little point in children's programming on 13.2 when it's already on 13.1, or between 10 PM and 6 AM when the vast majority of children are asleep.
Quote:
The dummies dropped World from OTA. It's available to stream.
But not via the PBS Roku app, apparently; at least not if you pick KERA as your local affiliate.

The app can stream PBS Kids though
post #9410 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well about the time I think the Dallas Repack 4 is complete, it is not. Daystar HD (2.1) is gone this morning, but the SD (2.1) is still there?

The 14 year old Panasonic is able to adjust for all that automatically, but the new TiVo Bolt VOX is still manually controlled by TiVo (what a mess?); maybe by this time next year it will be fixed. Oh wait then it is ATSC 3.0?
post #9411 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
For a while, Ion's Qubo did that. After 10 PM they aired reruns of some "classic" cartoons and branded it Qubo After Dark or something similar Night Owl. Unfortunately they don't do that any more.
I feel old when you refer "classics" like from the 90's & 00's, I've seen Qubos prior Overnight lineup . I sort of lost my ION/Qubo for the winter months, I'll have to look what they are showing now... their signal is become temperamental in my area.

Actually if PBS Kids would Air the Old Sesame Streets, Electric Companies (ie the Morgan Freeman Era), overnights it might be a win/win. I tend to watch most of my TV overnight anyway.
post #9412 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I feel old when you refer "classics" like from the 90's & 00's....
Yeah, my idea of "classic" cartoons are ones from the '30s and '40s, on Cartoon Carnival on Ch 11 in the '50s and '60s.
teasip likes this.
post #9413 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, my idea of "classic" cartoons are ones from the '30s and '40s, on Cartoon Carnival on Ch 11 in the '50s and '60s.
I guess that would be the true classics, but I like the banned Tom & Jerry's (50's?), & Scooby Doo's (Late 60's Early 70's). In the mid 70's, Sid & Marty Kroft totally destroyed Saturday Morning Television.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9414 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Big 3? 3, 5 & 8, or 4,5, & 9? with WVIZ becoming the first on the UHF Band. WVIZ had their Studios on Brookpark road, as that's where their first DTV transmitter was transmitted from in '09 also, but still technically on the SW side.

I find the Ohio Channel has many dated reruns of congress hearings, events (ie: Dog Shows from the state Fair), not that there is anything wrong with that, I don't believe it is ever "Live" though.
post #9415 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually if PBS Kids would Air the Old Sesame Streets, Electric Companies (ie the Morgan Freeman Era), overnights it might be a win/win. I tend to watch most of my TV overnight anyway.
They probably could as long as they have the funding to do so, but I don't think they will as they probably want to air modern day shows/episodes that appeal to today's generation. I could imagine a preschooler being bored within the first minute of a 1970's rerun of Sesame Street. The shows that I would like to see from the 90's & early 00's are likely no longer in PBS's hands and have probably been aired on numerous cable networks since then. Arthur continues to air because it is still being produced (I was in 2nd grade when it premiered!) and has a fan base with kids, teens & adults, and Clifford continues to have a bit of a popularity with today's kids. I have spotted an occasional airing of Cyberchase as of recently, so perhaps they are slowly adding older shows as long as they still have the rights and funding for them.

post #9416 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post
Well about the time I think the Dallas Repack 4 is complete, it is not. Daystar HD (2.1) is gone this morning; maybe by this time next year it will be fixed....
Yeah, something went kaboom with KDTN's transmitter overnight. Looks like it's back now, but it also looks like they switched to their weaker auxiliary transmitter.
Quote:
I feel old when you refer "classics" like from the 90's & 00's, I've seen Qubos prior Overnight lineup ....
They had some 80's shows too; that's what I had in mind....
Quote:
My favorites have always been the old WB cartoons with Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, etc. The original Scooby Doo cartoons were really good too.
post #9417 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If PBS Kids would Air the Old Sesame Streets, Electric Companies (ie the Morgan Freeman Era), overnights it might be a win/win. I tend to watch most of my TV overnight anyway.
As I recall, The Electric Company had a lot of star power, at least with TV stars of the 70's. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those shows again.
post #9418 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They probably could as long as they have the funding to do so, but I don't think they will as they probably want to air modern day shows/episodes that appeal to today's generation. I could imagine a preschooler being bored within the first minute of a 1970's rerun of Sesame Street. The shows that I would like to see from the 90's & early 00's are likely no longer in PBS's hands and have probably been aired on numerous cable networks since then. Arthur continues to air because it is still being produced (I was in 2nd grade when it premiered!) and has a fan base with kids, teens & adults, and Clifford continues to have a bit of a popularity with today's kids. I have spotted an occasional airing of Cyberchase as of recently, so perhaps they are slowly adding older shows as long as they still have the rights and funding for them.
Arthur, Clifford, Cyberchase.... waaay after my time.... & I attempted to watch a couple episodes of That Sponge Bob show, I did not get it at all?? Yes it's, quite a different world!

Quote:
They had some 80's shows too; that's what I had in mind....My favorites have always been the old WB cartoons with Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, etc. The original Scooby Doo cartoons were really good too.
I think Saturday mornings made a resurgence in the 80's yet I was bored, or outgrown it by then (Fat Albert was the last Cartoon I liked that ran into the mid-80's). Some of the earlier Scooby Doo's were banned/censored due to drug connotations within. Can't beat the old Road Runners, all I learned about safety with explosives I learned on Saturday morning TV!

Quote:
As I recall, The Electric Company had a lot of star power, at least with TV stars of the 70's. I wouldn't mind seeing some of those shows again.
You'll have both the children's content along with the entertainment value, perfect for late night viewing that would likely bore a child as someone stated earlier. (I personally have not interacted with children since I was a child myself & that was a long time ago). I was way ahead of the intellect content of Sesame Street at the time I was of that viewing age, & seeing kids my own age struggling to count to 10 & learn the alphabet when I was reading on a 3rd grade level was kind frustrating for me, but I always enjoyed seeing the Cookie Monster, they ought to give him his own show.
post #9419 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can't beat the old Road Runners
That was another good cartoon.
Quote:
... all I learned about safety with explosives I learned on
https://go.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters
post #9420 of 9634 Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Johnnie Quest, Underdog, Mighty Mouse, Sky King.
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page