post #9661 of 9793 Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by east-tx-tv View Post
I am now awaiting 1 of those GE antennas, 1 booster amp, and a Roku Ultra. Once I get them all, I'll see how I do, and let you all know. Since I don't have any outdoor options or an attic, I'm looking at maybe some kind of tripod to hold the antenna up indoors, and aim it SW-SSW toward my front window.
Hang it from the ceiling and call it art.
See The Light likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9793 Old 12-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 36
KERA offline for the past 20min. Appears to be transmitter maintenance: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1202977437010796545

Edit: Back online 2 hours later, no programming changes.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 12-06-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #9663 of 9793 Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 PM

Hmm, it looks like KUVN-CD might be live on RF11, although I can't get a good lock on it to be absolutely sure. I thought I was just getting some tropo on RF11 all day, since nobody seems to be getting a lock on it on Rabbitears, but what I am able to ascertain from TSReader tuning to RF11 does seem to indicate the same stream layout as KUVN-DT. I'm seeing 2 HD, 3 SD video PIDs in the signal: 0x0031 (HD), 0x0041 (SD), 0x0051 (SD), 0x0061 (SD), 0x0131 (HD). The odd numbering for that last PID does match up with how KUVN-DT numbers the KSTR Unimas video stream.

Anyone else seeing this on RF11?

EDIT: Yep, it's KUVN-CD. After letting TSReader run on RF11 for half an hour, it looks like it was able to get a whole correctly-constructed TVCT PID. Some of the PSIPs are different than KUVN-DT though:
23.11 KUVN-CD
23.12 BOUNCE
23.13 MYSTERY
49.12 GRIT
49.11 UNIMAS

Last edited by PlnOTA; 12-07-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9664 of 9793 Old 12-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Hmm, it looks like KUVN-CD might be live on RF11...

23.13 MYSTERY
Which also answers the question about what happened to Escape. I noticed the bug had changed recently, but since I don't watch the channel that much anymore I hadn't noticed the rebranding. But after some quick research I found that Wikipedia (which has never been wrong in the history of the Internet) now has this, which verifies the rebranding:

Court TV Mystery

Kind of strange that there wasn't a channel shuffle that put Court TV and Court TV Mystery in the same group of subchannels, i.e. 33.3 and 33.4, where Charge! is. The metroplex can afford to lose one of the Charge! affiliates, though I'm not sure which one would be best to jettison. 33.3 has the better aspect ratio, but 47.3 has closed captioning activated. Picture quality seems about the same to me.

Another thing I'm curious about is when NewsNet will get here. Haven't see it in the 44 channel series yet.
post #9665 of 9793 Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
...The metroplex can afford to lose one of the Charge! affiliates, though I'm not sure which one would be best to jettison. 33.3 has the better aspect ratio, but 47.3 has closed captioning activated. Picture quality seems about the same to me...
The Charge on 47.3 is the better of the two. Charge is a widescreen diginet, with 16:9 content filling the whole video stream, and 4:3 content getting pillarboxed by the network. While Charge on 47.3 has the wrong aspect ratio set by KTXD (4:3), it's still the full 16:9 content. If you force your TV to display it at 16:9, everything looks correct. The Charge on 33.4 is also 4:3, but instead of being the full 16:9 content, they instead cut off the left and right sides of the video. It's easiest to see when they are showing commercials, as some will have parts (like phone numbers) cut off by their cropping. Also, Charge on 33.4 seems to be running at a lower framerate, video looks choppy when compared to 47.3.
post #9666 of 9793 Old 12-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Also, Charge on 33.4 seems to be running at a lower framerate, video looks choppy when compared to 47.3.
I've often wondered where the conversion from 24fps film to 30fps digital video takes place. On my old SD Philips DVDR I can advance video one frame at a time. When I do that with old movies the progression is "frame, frame, frame, freeze frame", where the third frame is frozen for a fraction of a second. I usually only use the frame advance to watch explosions or brief moments of key action, so I've never run it through a full second of advance. So there may be a couple times in that cycle where the frame isn't frozen, and that would mathematically get a conversion from 24fps to 29.97fps/30fps.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 12-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
post #9667 of 9793 Old 12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
EDIT: Yep, it's KUVN-CD. After letting TSReader run on RF11 for half an hour, it looks like it was able to get a whole correctly-constructed TVCT PID. Some of the PSIPs are different than KUVN-DT though:
I just scanned RF11 and had the same channels added to the list. I'm about 2.5 miles to the NE of their downtown FW antenna and am getting about 70 for signal strength and 59 for signal quality, but solid picture and audio. My roof top antenna is biased slightly to the North of Cedar Hill so I can pick up the channel 44 series. So it is about 95* off for head on reception of KUVN-CD. The signal is hitting the right side/right rear quadrant of my HD Stacker, which is about 24' off the ground. And if we are keeping score, this puts me right at 90 channels.
post #9668 of 9793 Old 12-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

KDFW just went crazy...

I turned on my TV about 10 minutes ago and noticed that the guide information for KDFW had transposed between channel 4.1 and 4.2, though what was airing was correct for each channel. I did a manual channel scan for my DVR+ to see if it would fix the problem, but it didn't. But much to my surprise, lo and behold there was a channel added to the series! They are now broadcasting channel 4.3, which is being identified in the guide as "KDFW D3". The programming that I saw is exactly the same lineup that KDFI is broadcasting on channel 27.1. Not sure what is going on here, but I'm counting it as a new channel. 91, baby!
post #9669 of 9793 Old 12-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I turned on my TV about 10 minutes ago and noticed that the guide information for KDFW had transposed between channel 4.1 and 4.2, though what was airing was correct for each channel. I did a manual channel scan for my DVR+ to see if it would fix the problem, but it didn't. But much to my surprise, lo and behold there was a channel added to the series! They are now broadcasting channel 4.3, which is being identified in the guide as "KDFW D3". The programming that I saw is exactly the same lineup that KDFI is broadcasting on channel 27.1. Not sure what is going on here, but I'm counting it as a new channel. 91, baby!

My LG TV apparently auto-adds any new channels, because, while channel surfing today, 4-3 came up.
The KDFI station had "MORE 27" at the bottom right of the screen.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9670 of 9793 Old 12-11-2019, 05:29 PM

Odd that KDFW would add an SD simulcast of KDFI as a subchannel. There's no VHF-vs-UHF reception accessibility difference going on, and there's no significant coverage difference between the two (based off maps, KDFW has very slightly more reach into Waco, but that hardly seems worth it). Maybe it's a placeholder for something coming soon? Not seeing any additional hints when viewing the stream in TSReader.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9671 of 9793 Old 12-11-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Update!! Got my coax cable today, as well as the booster amp. I haven't gotten my tripod yet to put my antenna on, so I took a chance setting it on top of a chair. I rescanned after getting everything hooked up. I forgot how many more channels I was able to get, but there's much more than the old floppy--oh, wait, 62 total! I have 2, 4, 5, 8, 11, 13, 21, 23, 27, 29, 33, 39, 47, 49, 51 (the 2nd Daystar one assigned to Paris), 55, 58, 68, plus a grainy analog 22. I wasn't watching 22 at a top-of-hour station ID time so I don't know if it's the station from DeSoto or not. It's showing Jewelry TV (not HSN like what RabbitEars lists). I saw the 4.3 also during my look around. I don't remember if 4 is adding something soon or not, but based on an article I just saw yesterday, a new diginet called Circle is coming after the first of the year. It will have country music, related lifestyle, plus Grand Ole Opry performances. The article says CBS o/o's including DFW will show it, so I don't know if 11 or 21 will be the one making room. So, from what I've seen, I'm quite happy and pleasantly surprised with what I've been able to get so far, as well as the picture quality. I don't know if any of the lesser stations (including the ones down for upgrades and changes) will be viewable later on with what I have or not, but I'm getting all the biggies with no pixellation for now. That plus whatever I unearth with my new Roku Ultra should get me more than I'll have time to watch. Maybe as I'm doing all this, I'm channeling my dad; he used to fix TVs for a living for a short time. I've often wondered what he'd think of digital reception and flat screens, and the other new-tech things he missed out on.
post #9672 of 9793 Old 12-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Odd that KDFW would add an SD simulcast of KDFI as a subchannel. There's no VHF-vs-UHF reception accessibility difference going on Maybe it's a placeholder for something coming soon? Not seeing any additional hints when viewing the stream in TSReader.
I was wondering the same thing. Question is, what other diginets are out there that would be the type KDFW might carry? I think we already have all the biggies, and KDFW doesn't seem like the kind of station that would carry "Fred's Tile and Shingle Network".
post #9673 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. Question is, what other diginets are out there that would be the type KDFW might carry? I think we already have all the biggies, and KDFW doesn't seem like the kind of station that would carry "Fred's Tile and Shingle Network".
Dunno. Since KDFW is O&O by Fox, I tried looking at other Fox O&Os to see if any carried diginets that aren't already in the DFW market. Outside of a local Korean and a Chinese diginet carried by an independent station owned by Fox (KICU in California), all diginets carried by Fox O&O are already on various Dallas stations. Doubt they would add either of those here, so really have no clue what they plan on doing with KDFW D3.
post #9674 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Didn't they originally carry a weather channel in the early days after the ATSC transition? I remember we had 2 for awhile.

Quote:
Dunno. Since KDFW is O&O by Fox, I tried looking at other Fox O&Os to see if any carried diginets that aren't already in the DFW market. Outside of a local Korean and a Chinese diginet carried by an independent station owned by Fox (KICU in California), all diginets carried by Fox O&O are already on various Dallas stations. Doubt they would add either of those here, so really have no clue what they plan on doing with KDFW D3.
post #9675 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Didn't they originally carry a weather channel in the early days after the ATSC transition? I remember we had 2 for awhile.
That was channel 5, KXAS that had the weather channel for a while. I'm not sure why they got rid of it, since Cozi is older SD programming and a weather channel wouldn't have to be HD. So bandwidth certainly wasn't an issue.
post #9676 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Hmm, it looks like KUVN-CD might be live on RF11, although I can't get a good lock on it to be absolutely sure. I thought I was just getting some tropo on RF11 all day, since nobody seems to be getting a lock on it on Rabbitears, but what I am able to ascertain from TSReader tuning to RF11 does seem to indicate the same stream layout as KUVN-DT. I'm seeing 2 HD, 3 SD video PIDs in the signal: 0x0031 (HD), 0x0041 (SD), 0x0051 (SD), 0x0061 (SD), 0x0131 (HD). The odd numbering for that last PID does match up with how KUVN-DT numbers the KSTR Unimas video stream.

Anyone else seeing this on RF11?
As feared, not even a blip out here in S. Garland. It's too weak, too far away, and transmitting from an antenna that's too low.
Quote:
23.11 KUVN-CD
23.12 BOUNCE
23.13 MYSTERY
49.12 GRIT
49.11 UNIMAS
I like the way -CD adds 10 to all their subchannel numbers to avoid duplicates when someone receives both KUVN's.

Except.... Why is Grit 49.12? It's 49.3 on -DT....
post #9677 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was channel 5, KXAS that had the weather channel for a while. I'm not sure why they got rid of it, since Cozi is older SD programming and a weather channel wouldn't have to be HD. So bandwidth certainly wasn't an issue.
4.2 had one also, even earlier than KXAS's 5.2. IIRC it was just a radar image though. 5.2's was better and was on much longer.
post #9678 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
4.2 had one also, even earlier than KXAS's 5.2. IIRC it was just a radar image though. 5.2's was better and was on much longer.
Had two weather subs here where I'm at. With the growing amount of diginets along with mobile weather apps after the digital transition, these weather subs were probably not making enough of a profit to continue to operate and were likely deemed unnecessary. The last one here in Cleveland switched to COZI back in 2017, which in the end, offered nothing more than 3 different radars and repetitive PSA's.

Newer is not always better.
post #9679 of 9793 Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I like the way -CD adds 10 to all their subchannel numbers to avoid duplicates when someone receives both KUVN's.

Except.... Why is Grit 49.12? It's 49.3 on -DT....
It is weird. There is a lot to be said for consistency when it comes to all things computer. It makes it easier to list, sort and when necessary, import/export.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Had two weather subs here where I'm at. With the growing amount of diginets along with mobile weather apps after the digital transition, these weather subs were probably not making enough of a profit to continue to operate and were likely deemed unnecessary. The last one here in Cleveland switched to COZI back in 2017, which in the end, offered nothing more than 3 different radars and repetitive PSA's.
WFAA seems to have been able to beat the reaper in that regard. They show full length commercials in their inset box, while the city by city forecasts appear to the left and below the inset box. When commercials aren't airing they show national weather, local weather and radar in the inset box. You'd think that any station could sell advertisements to sponsor a weather channel, even if it is just a static image that changes every 30 seconds or so. When one of the cable/sat weather channels started naming winter storms I got to thinking that they should just take the cheese and sell naming rights to them instead: Winter storm Verizon, Exxon, etc. Heck, they could sell naming rights to pretty much anything meteorological or cosmological. Maybe one day we will see full moon McDonalds or high pressure system Chevrolet gracing our screens.
post #9680 of 9793 Old 12-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Per Trip, it looks like Circle will be added to KTXA 21.4. They took 3+ weeks to add ThisTV, let's see how long it'll take them to add Circle once it launches on Jan1.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9681 of 9793 Old 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Circle is a country music TV network. (Not a great name IMO but whatever.) Country isn't my cup of tea but my wife likes it. It could become a decent replacement for TCN, which we lost when KJJM/34 had to go off the air for the repack.

Speaking of KJJM, what's up with them anyway? Last I heard they still wanted to broadcast from Arlington, but turn their antenna around to face the north side of the metroplex. Looked like that would've caused too much interference with KXII but the FCC doesn't seem to have even looked at their "minor" modification. Ironically, if they'd broadcast from Cedar Hill like everyone else instead of Arlington, they might be far enough south to get away with it.

I guess the FCC is concentrating on getting through the remaining repack phases rather than deal with LPTV in areas that have already repacked....
post #9682 of 9793 Old 12-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Per Trip, it looks like Circle will be added to KTXA 21.4. They took 3+ weeks to add ThisTV, let's see how long it'll take them to add Circle once it launches on Jan1.
I figured it would end up on 21 with the upcoming local CBSN channel coming here in the next few months (which would have to go on 11).
post #9683 of 9793 Old 12-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Circle is a country music TV network. (Not a great name IMO but whatever.)
They probably could have spent more time in the decision process for a name, but oh well. I guessed one reason for the naming, but it wasn't what I read for their reason. The first thing I thought of was the old country get-everybody-together song "Will the Circle Be Unbroken"; but one of the articles that announced the channel's launch talked about a circle on the stage at the Grand Ole Opry where the primary singer stands to sing a song there. From the impression I get from what they'll air, most country fans should like Circle.
post #9684 of 9793 Old 12-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by east-tx-tv View Post
I guessed one reason for the naming, but it wasn't what I read for their reason. The first thing I thought of was the old country get-everybody-together song "Will the Circle Be Unbroken";
I was thinking the same thing. But it is such a sad song I didn't see how the powers that be could pull it off.
post #9685 of 9793 Old 12-14-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Odd that KDFW would add an SD simulcast of KDFI as a subchannel. There's no VHF-vs-UHF reception accessibility difference going on, and there's no significant coverage difference between the two (based off maps, KDFW has very slightly more reach into Waco, but that hardly seems worth it). Maybe it's a placeholder for something coming soon? Not seeing any additional hints when viewing the stream in TSReader.
Fox might be prepping KDFI to be an ATSC 3.0 test channel. That could explain the simulcast.
post #9686 of 9793 Old 12-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cannon View Post
Fox might be prepping KDFI to be an ATSC 3.0 test channel. That could explain the simulcast.
That would make sense, as that is what KSTR did before it began ATSC 3.0 tests.
Since the FCC requires ATSC 3.0 stations to make their programming available on ATSC 1.0 stations until the transition is complete, we should see KDFI's subchannels show up on KDFW (or hosted by another broadcaster) before it flips over to 3.0.

Hopefully there will be other ATSC 3.0 tuners on the market before that happens. (not going to drop $900 on a Redzone Receiver)
post #9687 of 9793 Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 AM

It looks like NRJ Holdings is in the process of selling KFWD to RNN National Media Group, which operates WRNN in New York and a few other east-coast stations.

http://www.rnntv.com/press/

Looking at what RNN's current stations broadcast... I'm not expecting much to change on KFWD. Looks to be mostly infomercials and religious, with various subchannels sprinkled in on some stations (nothing not already available in DFW). But then again, they did purchase stations in many big cities, maybe they have something more planned.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 12-15-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #9688 of 9793 Old 12-15-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Cannon View Post
Quote:
That would make sense, as that is what KSTR did before it began ATSC 3.0 tests.
Since the FCC requires ATSC 3.0 stations to make their programming available on ATSC 1.0 stations until the transition is complete, we should see KDFI's subchannels show up on KDFW (or hosted by another broadcaster) before it flips over to 3.0.

Hopefully there will be other ATSC 3.0 tuners on the market before that happens. (not going to drop $900 on a Redzone Receiver)

By involving three transmitters, KSTR/KTXD/KUVN pulled it off without much loss in PQ. But it looks like Fox will drop 27.1 to SD to fit everything in. RF 35 will be the same as KTXD or KAZD, with one HD and six SD subchannels.

It'll be interesting to see what they offer on the ATSC 3.0 signal (besides Fox 4 More in HD) to entice viewers though.
post #9689 of 9793 Old 12-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what they offer on the ATSC 3.0 signal (besides Fox 4 More in HD) to entice viewers though.
That might come down to how many ATSC 3.0 tuners there are in the Metroplex, which would be an interesting statistic in its own right. Out of the roughly 7.5 - 8 million people in the Metroplex, how many are getting their TV through an OTA antenna? And of that number, how many have an ATSC 3.0 tuner?
post #9690 of 9793 Old 12-16-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is sort of a chicken-and-egg problem. They need to offer something really unique to entice viewers to spend $$ on new antennas and ATSC 3.0 tuners, and I don't think "interactivity" is going to cut it. (Remember, ATSC 2.0 had interactivity and it went nowhere.) Paid subscription TV probably won't work either: Airbox and Dyle both tried that with ATSC 1.0 and failed.

UHD and its cohorts (HDR and WCG) might entice the folks who read this forum, but most folks probably think they have 4K already (and will be disappointed if they install a new 4K tuner and the picture doesn't look significantly better. But maybe the game is to degrade ATSC 1.0 PQ to the point that folks have to switch to ATSC 3.0 just to get back the PQ they were used to, as it looks like might happen with Fox 4 More).

It goes without saying that any greedy DRM schemes that make new ATSC 3.0 DVRs more expensive and/or less useful than ATSC 1.0 DVRs (like the DVR+) will be a disincentive to switching. And most of the subchannel networks on offer seem to be available in the Metroplex already (although I do wish someone would bring back Retro - I miss Doctor Who and MST3K).

So what's left? I'm thinking, maybe if they switch some of the subchannels to HD, that might do the trick. Movies! would be an obvious choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page