post #9781 of 9859 Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
That would be the Cedar Hill tower farm then. DBU is right next to Mountain Creek Lake and the camera is pointed in the right direction to see the towers, which are about 9 miles south.
Looking it at again tonight, you are correct. The towers look to have different heights and spacing. Maybe there was a low cloud ceiling the other night that made them all look the same height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Looks like NBC's local news subchannel network, LX, will be launching in April. Interestingly, according to this article on Variety, KXAS will be the "home base" for all LX live production, and the station will be producing two three-hour newscasts daily for the network. The article also mentions that it won't always be news content, will have other programming as well. Wonder what it'll be.
The programming will probably be similar to YouTube videos of social media influencers showing people how to live the good life. The news segments will probably be like Axios news stories that break it down into segments like "The Big Picture", "Why It Matters", "What It Means", etc then provide a brief explanation to answer the question without going past their viewer's attention span limit.
post #9783 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Yea, KTXD!

Last night I used the Contact page on KTXD's web site to ask them if they could fix the PSIP guide data for their channels, and pointed out that it had been messed up for the last month. Less than 12 hours later it is back to showing program titles and descriptions again. Did my reaching out and contacting them have anything to do with it? Who knows, but feel free to send checks to me at...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9784 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Last night I used the Contact page on KTXD's web site to ask them if they could fix the PSIP guide data for their channels, and pointed out that it had been messed up for the last month.
I tried that several weeks ago and nothing happened.
post #9785 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
I tried that several weeks ago and nothing happened.
Well, I didn't actually receive a response from them, so it could be coincidence despite what appears to be a quick turnaround. I know that when I send communications like that I intentionally try to hit all hot buttons I think will make someone more likely to act. In this case I tried to choose a succinct subject line, and to write a message that shows respect while indicating knowledge on my part and adding a touch of humor. I think I started it off with the line, "Any chance you can reconfigure the ol' GuideBuilder." The hope was that using the product name "GuideBuilder" would indicate that I wasn't just some yahoo sending them a complaint. Even if they used another EPG product they would know what I was talking about. Using the phrase, "the ol' GuideBuilder" was intended to bring a smile to their face when they read it in the hopes that would make them more prone to take action. But since I didn't receive a direct response, it may well be just coincidental that it happened today. They may have been working on an equipment problem over the last month, or it may have come down to which intern is assigned to read their Contact e-mail on any given day. I think it is a finicky process when dealing with any media-oriented company, be it TV, radio or film studios. I'm sure they all get rained on with ideas for shows, scripts and all things media.
post #9786 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Maybe we can all email them about fixing the aspect ratios set for Comet, Charge, and TBD. They're broadcasting the full 16:9 content, but they are squishing it into a 4:3 video. (I know it's simple to force the correct aspect ratio on our end, but we shouldn't really need to)
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9787 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe we can all email them about fixing the aspect ratios set for Comet, Charge, and TBD. They're broadcasting the full 16:9 content, but they are squishing it into a 4:3 video. (I know it's simple to force the correct aspect ratio on our end, but we shouldn't really need to)
I just checked all the channel 47 channels on two devices (DVR+ and Samsung TV) and they are displaying at 16:9 on both devices. The DVR+ is set to "Best available" and the TV is set to 16:9.
post #9788 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Tonight, around 6:15 I saw some beautiful sunset views from the cams on 8.2

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9789 of 9859 Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I just checked all the channel 47 channels on two devices (DVR+ and Samsung TV) and they are displaying at 16:9 on both devices. The DVR+ is set to "Best available" and the TV is set to 16:9.
Might have the stretching to 16:9 saved in memory. When I watch the raw streams in VLC, or check the stream stats in TSReader, it reports a 4:3 aspect ratio.
post #9790 of 9859 Old 01-25-2020, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't know how Sinclair thinks they're going to get ATSC 3.0 launched on a bunch of their stations when they still can't get basic stuff like the clock and aspect ratios set right on their regular ATSC broadcast.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9791 of 9859 Old 01-26-2020, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

More Circle S-bombs

I'm just getting around to watching "The Allman Brothers Band: After the Crash" movie that I recorded a couple of weeks ago. Between 37 and 38 minutes into the film Circle/KTXA let an S-bomb through when the death of Berry Oakley was being discussed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just think it's strange that no one on the broadcast side is noticing this. I recorded it on 01/11 (Saturday) at 3 in the afternoon, so it clearly wasn't a late night thing. Is this just a new network getting its sea legs? Or are they pushing the edgy side of country? Now I may have to record the Willie Nelson flick and see what gets through on that.
post #9792 of 9859 Old 01-26-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1902 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
I'm just getting around to watching "The Allman Brothers Band: After the Crash" movie that I recorded a couple of weeks ago. Between 37 and 38 minutes into the film Circle/KTXA let an S-bomb through when the death of Berry Oakley was being discussed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I just think it's strange that no one on the broadcast side is noticing this. I recorded it on 01/11 (Saturday) at 3 in the afternoon, so it clearly wasn't a late night thing. Is this just a new network getting its sea legs? Or are they pushing the edgy side of country? Now I may have to record the Willie Nelson flick and see what gets through on that.
Don't blame the station, its clearly network related. It won't be fun until the FCC fines all their affiliates and then the affiliates go after Circle asking for compensation. If the fines are big enough, it can likely put an end to the network. Someone should have analyzed these shows and censored them before they aired, especially if these shows were originally on cable networks.

Newer is not always better.
post #9793 of 9859 Old 01-28-2020, 05:31 PM

Looks like TBN has replaced 58.5 JUCE with the new network "Positiv". Looks to be focused on religious movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positiv
post #9794 of 9859 Old 02-01-2020, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by calla36 View Post
I am hoping for assistance with antenna and pre-amplifier choices. Please forgive the length - but, I wanted to provide as much detail as possible.

My house is a single-story home in a neighborhood setting, I am in McKinney which is approximately 45 miles from the antenna farm that serves the Dallas, TX area. Since the summer of 2015 I have had a Mohu Sky 60 and its accompanying amplifier in my attic.

Initially, I connected the antenna to approximately 30 feet of co-axial cable, then connected the amplifier (this was done so that I could reach the plug in the attic), next there was a 100 foot run of co-axial cable to a splitter inside the house. One side of the splitter went to my television and the other side of the splitter went to a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner that is in my HTPC.

Mostly, this worked fine. A few times a year, three of my primary stations (KXAS, KERA, and WFAA) would either pixelate or they would become so weak they were unavailable for the Windows Media Center on my HTPC to record. But, after a few weeks this would resolve itself and I grudgingly accepted the situation. Sometimes, during these outages, the feed that went directly to the television would still see the channels - others times not.

Lately, I decided that this is more of an inconvenience that I want to tolerate. I made the following changes to test for better reception. I connected the amplifier to the antenna with a 1 foot piece of co-axial cable instead of the 30 foot piece (powering it with an extension cord during this testing period). I eliminated the splitter for the television feed and plugged directly into the Hauppauge.

With this testing situation I still have occasional pixelations, but at least the HTPC is able to find and record on all my primary channels. This has made me think that my antenna and/or amplifier are probably not the correct one for my situation. I have investigated an alternative antenna and pre-amplifier and wanted some feedback on whether or not they would work for me. In my testing/investigations I have found that WFAA seems to be my most troublesome channel - I am assuming because it is a high-frequency VHF channel. So, I will have to consider that when making my choices. However, KXAS has quite a few pixelations and break-ups during recording. Also, my goal is to re-install the splitter I removed during testing that sends a feed to my television.

I thought that the first thing I could do would be to upgrade my pre-amplifier to the Winegard LNA-200. If there would be a more appropriate higher-quality choice for me, please give me a suggestion. I will need something that can be used with a 100 foot length of co-axial cable and a signal splitter for the TV and Hauppauge. The Hauppauge is a dual tuner so its side of the splitter will be split another time within the Hauppauge unit.

If the pre-amplifier didn't do the trick, I would switch out my antenna. It will still need to be in the attic. I do not have any attic radiant barrier. For antennas I was looking at the GE Pro Outdoor/Attic Mount HD Antenna 29884. Unfortunately, I cannot find in any of the literature how well it would handle WFAA on the high-frequency VHF channel. If there would be a more appropriate higher-quality choice for antenna, please give me a suggestion.

I have attached a link for my 'rabbit ears' report. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance!

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=36016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I'm going to decline on this one because I did an analysis for this problem on another site. I suggested a two-antenna solution to have enough gain in the attic for WFAA, but a Winegard 7694P as suggested by jd800 on the Dallas thread might work:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-lo...l#post58971134

Signal loss in an attic is difficult to predict, but it is encouraging for reception that there is no radiant barrier in the attic.

Just thought I would update the post with the actions taken and the results achieved for anyone else in my area experiencing the same issues.

As stated in the original post, I wanted to take things in steps. So, I upgraded my signal booster with the Winegard LNA-200. This helped somewhat with the pixelations - however, they were still widespread across all channels and recording times. Luckily, I was not missing any recordings due to low signal. This further confirmed that I needed a better antenna.

After re-reading all the posts and reading a 'might work' from rabbit73, I purchased and installed in my attic the Winegard 7694P. What a difference this made. Now all of my signals were full green bars (according to Windows Media Center), whereas before they were only lit less than half strength. Since installing this antenna with my new signal booster, I have had no missed programs and BASICALLY no pixelations. By that I mean, at a certain time every day and on every channel that I checked there is a minor audio/video 'hiccup'. It is so small that I don't even miss the word being said. There is probably something in my area that is causing interference - but I am not going to go looking to solve this problem because it is almost too minor to mention and doesn't bother me. In the future, if the 'hiccup' becomes more widespread, I will look to install a filter. I hope that this new antenna will also eliminate those random times during the year when certain channels are completely lost for several weeks - fingers crossed.

Thank you to everyone that assisted me. A special thanks to rabbit73 for assisting me behind the scenes in private messages. Best regards to all!
rabbit73 likes this.

Last edited by calla36; 02-01-2020 at 07:03 AM.
post #9795 of 9859 Old 02-01-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by calla36 View Post
Just thought I would update the post with the actions taken and the results achieved for anyone else in my area experiencing the same issues.

I upgraded my signal booster with the Winegard LNA-200. This helped somewhat with the pixelations - however, they were still widespread across all channels and recording times. Luckily, I was not missing any recordings due to low signal. This further confirmed that I needed a better antenna.

After re-reading all the posts and reading a 'might work' from rabbit73, I purchased and installed in my attic the Winegard 7694P. What a difference this made. Now all of my signals were full green bars (according to Windows Media Center), whereas before they were only lit less than half strength. Since installing this antenna with my new signal booster, I have had no missed programs and BASICALLY no pixelations.

Thank you to everyone that assisted me. A special thanks to rabbit73 for assisting me behind the scenes in private messages. Best regards to all!
Thank you for your kind words and report of improved reception. Attic installations are not ideal, but you have shown that they often can be made to work.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #9796 of 9859 Old 02-01-2020, 10:10 AM

Back in December, KFWD (along with 7 other stations) was purchased by WRNN-TV Associates, owners of WRNN in New York. As of this morning, KFWD has dropped SBN from 52.1, and appears to have switched to WRNN's "RNN" independent network (BizTV on 52.2 and Evine(ShopHQ) on 52.4 are unchanged). PSIP is now just "KFWD", and while the EPG is still pointing to SBN programming, they are currently airing infomercials (not same programming as SBN on KHPK and KTXD). I also caught this station ID in between two infomercial segments: https://i.imgur.com/VqGIDCT.png

For us viewers, this RNN network doesn't offer much. Looking at WRNN's schedule on TitanTV, it's mostly all informercials, with some occasional religious and E/I programming, and two hour-long news/talk programs on weekdays (foreign news program in the morning, talk show in the late afternoon). Hope they expand their programming, now that they have a bunch more stations under their belt.

(Although, I have to wonder what WRNN plans on doing to KUBE in Houston and KIKU in Hawaii, which have had full slates of their own independent/syndicated programming prior to their purchase by WRNN. I hope for their sake that WRNN doesn't replace KUBE/KIKU's programming with this lackluster "RNN" network.)

Last edited by PlnOTA; 02-01-2020 at 11:03 AM.
post #9797 of 9859 Old 02-01-2020, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2947 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Checking 52.1 out now. Right now they're showing an infomercial. PSIP still says "Jimmy Swaggart" so they haven't fixed that yet.

Hopefully RNN is just a placeholder here, and rather than replacing good programming on, say, KUBE, the new owners will eventually import something from KUBE to here (and maybe even New York).

I'm not a fan of SBN but I know some of our regulars here like it. This is bad news fro them because while several other area channels carry it, 52.1 was the only HD broadcast of SBN in the area.

With only 2 other SD subchannels, KHPK/28 has plenty of bandwidth to switch SBN to HD. They'd probably do it for enough money (and I'm sure SBN has the money) but I don't know if it'll happen.
post #9798 of 9859 Old 02-02-2020, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Back in December, KFWD (along with 7 other stations) was purchased by WRNN-TV Associates, owners of WRNN in New York. As of this morning, KFWD has dropped SBN from 52.1, and appears to have switched to WRNN's "RNN" independent network (BizTV on 52.2 and Evine(ShopHQ) on 52.4 are unchanged). PSIP is now just "KFWD", and while the EPG is still pointing to SBN programming, they are currently airing infomercials (not same programming as SBN on KHPK and KTXD). I also caught this station ID in between two infomercial segments: https://i.imgur.com/VqGIDCT.png

For us viewers, this RNN network doesn't offer much. Looking at WRNN's schedule on TitanTV, it's mostly all informercials, with some occasional religious and E/I programming, and two hour-long news/talk programs on weekdays (foreign news program in the morning, talk show in the late afternoon). Hope they expand their programming, now that they have a bunch more stations under their belt.

(Although, I have to wonder what WRNN plans on doing to KUBE in Houston and KIKU in Hawaii, which have had full slates of their own independent/syndicated programming prior to their purchase by WRNN. I hope for their sake that WRNN doesn't replace KUBE/KIKU's programming with this lackluster "RNN" network.)

That legal ID is illegal. KFWD’s city of license is Fort Worth, not Dallas.

I image KUBE-TV will end up with infomercials. In that market, KTBU is being sold to be a duopoly with CBS KHOU, so it will likely revert to English-language general entertainment programming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9799 of 9859 Old 02-02-2020, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Checking 52.1 out now. Right now they're showing an infomercial. PSIP still says "Jimmy Swaggart" so they haven't fixed that yet.

I'm not a fan of SBN but I know some of our regulars here like it. This is bad news fro them because while several other area channels carry it, 52.1 was the only HD broadcast of SBN in the area.

Live SBN programming can be accessed on YouTube and on the SBN Roku Channel. Most smart TV's have access to YouTube.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #9800 of 9859 Old 02-04-2020, 05:17 PM

K07AAD appeared on RF7 today with virtual channel number 31. Four subchannels but no EPG.
post #9801 of 9859 Old 02-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
K07AAD appeared on RF7 today with virtual channel number 31. Four subchannels but no EPG.
Looks to be the new transmitter for K31GL, displacement applications for it show that the FCC assigned them callsign K07AAD-D. Coverage really only for the FW side of the metroplex, so no dice for me up in northern Collin.

Are you able to identify what's on the subchannels?
post #9802 of 9859 Old 02-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Are you able to identify what's on the subchannels?

I just watched long enough to see that there was nothing I was interested in. Then I deleted all 4. I just tried TSReader and it shows a pretty empty Virtual Channel Table so no help there.

About 11.5Mbps null packets and 3 channels at ~2Mbps plus 1 channel with color bars. 31.1 is 3ABN.
PlnOTA likes this.
post #9803 of 9859 Old 02-04-2020, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They actually built that thing and lit it up? It can't coexist with any of the other RF 7 permits, so it's hard to believe they can make long-term use of it.

Maybe it was just so they could say they were "on the air" but it seems like a pretty expensive facility for just temporary use. So maybe the plan is for one of the other RF 7 facilities to amend their CP to cover Dallas from the northeast (a la KXDA) or southeast (a la pre-repack KPFW). But I've been watching and haven't seen anything filed with the FCC.
post #9804 of 9859 Old 02-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

K07AAD is coming in loud an proud in Fort Worth, too. Not sure how it's measured, but on my DVR+ the signal is showing as 100 for both signal strength and signal quality. As far as programming, it looks like religious programming, infomercials, infomercials and color bars. And even more important, I'm up to about 96 or 97 channels. If we get some VHF-Lo channels going I may even crack 100 channels for the first time since the repack nonsense.

I also noticed that the audio is clipping more than an Rick Rubin produced album.
PlnOTA likes this.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 02-04-2020 at 09:05 PM.
post #9805 of 9859 Old 02-05-2020, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 743
In an effort to get the Live Bandscan to pick it up, I've temporarily adjusted the call sign on K31GL to K07AAD on RabbitEars. Hopefully it will pick it up at some point, even if it ends up dropping it again.

I've made a preliminary update to RabbitEars accordingly, as well.

- Trip
arnoldevns and PlnOTA like this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9806 of 9859 Old 02-08-2020, 11:47 AM

The spring daylight savings time dance began today with several stations that should know better jumping the gun. KMPX still has two PSIP generators running and naturally one did nothing to its DST data while the other is putting out data for the change on the 8th.

Receivers that rely on PSIP time data may misbehave today.
See The Light and JHBrandt like this.
post #9807 of 9859 Old 02-09-2020, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The spring daylight savings time dance began today with several stations that should know better jumping the gun. KMPX still has two PSIP generators running and naturally one did nothing to its DST data while the other is putting out data for the change on the 8th.

Receivers that rely on PSIP time data may misbehave today.
My devices seemed to handle this quirk without problem. I don't know how my DVR+ handles DST, and my Philips DVDR has a setting for either the early or late DST dates. I don't know how my Samsung TV handles it, but the EPG is accurate, so I'm guessing it handled it OK.
post #9808 of 9859 Old 02-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Looks like the FCC has approved K07AAD's community change (Fort Worth) and license to cover. The K31GL name has now been retired.

I'm curious to see what the other RF7-Consortium stations will say in their next updates.
post #9809 of 9859 Old 02-10-2020, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

According to @schultdw 's live bandscan, they're now broadcasting a VCT with four subchannels (all labeled K07AAD- They need to eliminate the dash and put 1,2,3,4 instead). Just checked RabbitEars and the FCC pages, but it doesn't look like any of the others is saying anything yet. I assume the other consortium members are OK with K07AAD being on the air though.

RabbitEars shows them on the air but needs a tiny update for the new name.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-10-2020 at 06:17 PM.
post #9810 of 9859 Old 02-10-2020, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1728 Post(s)
Liked: 743
The license was granted today, officially changing the call sign, so the update will come through from the FCC in the morning.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page