post #9811 of 9833 Old 02-10-2020, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I assume the other consortium members are OK with K07AAD being on the air though.
I'm curious as to what type of programming the other consortium members were planning to implement. If it was just more shopping channels or another networked religious feed all this doesn't matter so much. But if they were planning on carrying other diginets, local programming or other "real" programming then I'd like to know why the decision went the way it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 9833 Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Is anyone seeing KPFW-LD on the air on RF channel 5? Directional antenna aimed at Fort Worth.

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....d&site=1&map=Y

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #9813 of 9833 Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Is anyone seeing KPFW-LD on the air on RF channel 5? Directional antenna aimed at Fort Worth.
I'm in Fort Worth and am seeing the signal strength jump around, usually between 68 and 70, and then drop to zero for a second before repeating the same pattern. The signal quality is absolutely zero. I tried to manually scan in the channel anyway but it didn't take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9814 of 9833 Old 02-11-2020, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I'm curious as to what type of programming the other consortium members were planning to implement. If it was just more shopping channels or another networked religious feed all this doesn't matter so much. But if they were planning on carrying other diginets, local programming or other "real" programming then I'd like to know why the decision went the way it did.
Back when they were K31GL, they had Jimmy Swaggart's SBN on 31.1 and HOT TV (History Of Television TV ) on 31.2 and 31.3 (why both? no one knows). 31.4 jumped around a bit; originally it was Retro, then they moved to KVFW/38, so it became AMGTV for a while. KVFW/38 also carried Rev'n, a network dedicated to hot rods, motor sports, and the like.

I'd like to get HOT TV and Retro back, but it may be too late. K31GL was off the air for a very long time, and KVFW was a terrible station that was off the air most of the time even when it was supposed to be operating; so if those diginets are even still around, they may be unwilling to give DFW LPTV another chance.

K25FW just had HSN and nothing else. Big waste of bandwidth. (They could have at least aired it in HD!) I'm pretty sure K31MU was religious, but it was way SW of the metroplex and I never received it myself.

At this point, I'm guessing that K07AAD may be trying to fill in for K31MU, thus explaining them carrying 3ABN. Don't know if they're vying to get back K31GL's HOT TV (right now it's just 3ABN and infomercials, at least according to RabbitEars; I can't receive them in east Dallas).
post #9815 of 9833 Old 02-11-2020, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Surprised to see KPFW back on the air so quickly (recall how long it took them to pull the plug on their RF18 transmitter after the repack). Another Fort Worth-side transmission, so I won't be picking it up (thanks KXDA...).

Regarding the RF7s, I'm a bit surprised that K07AAD isn't hosting the other 3 stations until they are up and running with their own transmitters (or whatever they plan on doing). Four stations, four subchannels (throw some infomercials on .4). That way, they could all keep their licenses alive while they continue construction (their CPs are good until 2022). Similar to how K26KC is hosting KHFD.

Also, looks like KDTN is running on its aux transmitter or encoder or something, as KPTD went poof. EDIT: Back to normal now.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 02-11-2020 at 05:09 PM.
post #9816 of 9833 Old 02-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Surprised to see KPFW back on the air so quickly (recall how long it took them to pull the plug on their RF18 transmitter after the repack). Another Fort Worth-side transmission, so I won't be picking it up (thanks KXDA...).
But is anybody picking it up? Are they actually broadcasting programming, or are they testing their signal? My TV Fool chart shows the antenna direction to be 90*, and Rabbit Ears shows it at about 100*. I'm getting decent signal strength, but the signal quality doesn't budge from zero. That's strange, because even with multipath I tend to see a fluctuation in signal quality. And the signal strength is bouncing between 68 and 71 a few times, then drops to zero before repeating the process like a pulsar.
post #9817 of 9833 Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@schultdw 's bandscan doesn't show a trace of KPFW, but it does show occasional "blips" from KXDA in Garland, which I don't think he could get if KPFW were broadcasting on RF 5. So I'm not sure KPFW is actually on the air.

OTOH, @Greasemonkey is clearly seeing "something" there, so I'm not sure what's going on.
post #9818 of 9833 Old 02-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
But is anybody picking it up? Are they actually broadcasting programming, or are they testing their signal? My TV Fool chart shows the antenna direction to be 90*, and Rabbit Ears shows it at about 100*. I'm getting decent signal strength, but the signal quality doesn't budge from zero. That's strange, because even with multipath I tend to see a fluctuation in signal quality. And the signal strength is bouncing between 68 and 71 a few times, then drops to zero before repeating the process like a pulsar.
TV Fool is pretty out of date, so the information they have might be for KPFW's old RF18 transmitter. Their new transmitter on RF5 is in Arlington, pointed towards Fort Worth.
post #9819 of 9833 Old 02-12-2020, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@schultdw 's bandscan doesn't show a trace of KPFW, but it does show occasional "blips" from KXDA in Garland, which I don't think he could get if KPFW were broadcasting on RF 5. So I'm not sure KPFW is actually on the air.

OTOH, @Greasemonkey is clearly seeing "something" there, so I'm not sure what's going on.
I guess it's possible I am picking up those same "blips" from Garland. What I am seeing could certainly be described as blips, though I would think my antenna is rotated a little bit too much to the south for that. I would also add that several months ago I checked for VHF-Lo channels, but nothing came up. The worst case scenario for me is that they are broadcasting programming, but my HD Stacker is not enough for VHF-Lo signals. If it were an analog signal I would be more inclined to say that's the reason, but with a digital signal and the signal strength I'm showing I don't think that is the case.

Quote:
TV Fool is pretty out of date, so the information they have might be for KPFW's old RF18 transmitter. Their new transmitter on RF5 is in Arlington, pointed towards Fort Worth.
I don't know the location of their previous transmitter, but the Rabbit Ears location is about 10* rotation to the south of the TV Fool location. I eyeballed my antenna rotation, but I'm guessing it's pointed roughly 110*, which allows me to clearly pick up the KLEG channels. That rotation doesn't have any effect on the Cedar Hill transmitters, which optimally be around 123* rotation.
post #9820 of 9833 Old 02-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I'd like to get HOT TV and Retro back, but it may be too late. K31GL was off the air for a very long time, and KVFW was a terrible station that was off the air most of the time even when it was supposed to be operating; so if those diginets are even still around, they may be unwilling to give DFW LPTV another chance.
RetroTV is still around, but hardly gets the buzz/carriage that MeTV and some of the others do. I wish they did, I'd like to see some more of their reruns of The Doctors (no, not the dumb syndie medical show) before something happens to them.
post #9821 of 9833 Old 02-13-2020, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by east-tx-tv View Post
RetroTV is still around, but hardly gets the buzz/carriage that MeTV and some of the others do. I wish they did, I'd like to see some more of their reruns of The Doctors (no, not the dumb syndie medical show) before something happens to them.
They're suppose to start streaming soon on multiple platforms. Looks like that has been delayed as I originally heard that they were suppose to start at the end of January.

Newer is not always better.
post #9822 of 9833 Old 02-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by east-tx-tv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
They're suppose to start streaming soon on multiple platforms. Looks like that has been delayed as I originally heard that they were suppose to start at the end of January.
They've definitely got something going on. I was thinking that they don't get the same buzz that other oldie networks get is because they run a lot of TV shows from the 50's, such as "I Married Joan", etc while the other networks run shows from the 60's and 70's. My thought was that even people who watched the first gen TV programs in the 50's still preferred the later programs with better production quality. But since I hadn't seen it for over a year I wanted to verify that by checking their website. Right now it's pretty much a placeholder site with no links. Just a message stating, "Big things are on the horizon. Stay tuned. A whole new Retro TV experience is headed your way soon!" I'm guessing that it's going to be a total re-branding, and may not be recognizable from even 5 years ago when they launch it.
post #9823 of 9833 Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

K26KC went off the air last August, but never filed with the FCC for silent STA. They've always been too weak to receive out here, so I've been watching the FCC site for a filing but never saw anything.

I just happened to check @schultdw 's bandscan today, and saw that they've been back on the air since mid-December. I need to watch @schultdw 's bandscan more closely.
post #9824 of 9833 Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm in conundrum....

GRIT CH 49-3 (Digital CH 34.3) KSTR-DT IRVING, TX

I receive GRIT on my LG TV with no issue.

But, when I put an antenna on my neighbors LG TV and scanned, his LG TV ONLY displayed 49.2 GET TV.
When I manually punched in 49.3 nothing came up.

On my LG TV, where I get GRIT 49.3, when I go to the Manual Tune option in settings, I thought it would display the corresponding Digital channel 34, but the LG TV instead displayed Digital Channel 33, which is 23 KUVN.

When I go to my LG TV list of Digital Channel Numbers (Not the Display Channels) and select Digital Channel 34, it says "No Signal." Yet I receive Channel 49 .1, .2 & .3

So there's some confusion with KSTR mixing with KUVN.

But the peculiar thing is my nearby neighbor's TV would only bring up 49.2 GET TV, and would not bring up 49.3 when I manually entered it.

I have assumed that if you can pull in a channel, that all of it's sub channels will come in.

Any thoughts???

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 02-14-2020 at 09:46 PM.
post #9825 of 9833 Old 02-14-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
I'm in conundrum....

GRIT CH 49-3 (Digital CH 34.3) KSTR-DT IRVING, TX

I receive GRIT on my LG TV with no issue.

But, when I put an antenna on my neighbors LG TV and scanned, his LG TV ONLY displayed 49.2 GET TV.
When I manually punched in 49.3 nothing came up.

On my LG TV, where I get GRIT 49.3, when I go to the Manual Tune option in settings, I thought it would display the corresponding Digital channel 34, but the LG TV instead displayed Digital Channel 33, which is 23 KUVN.

When I go to my LG TV list of Digital Channel Numbers (Not the Display Channels) and select Digital Channel 34, it says "No Signal." Yet I receive Channel 49 .1, .2 & .3

So there's some confusion with KSTR mixing with KUVN.

But the peculiar thing is my nearby neighbor's TV would only bring up 49.2 GET TV, and would not bring up 49.3 when I manually entered it.

I have assumed that if you can pull in a channel, that all of it's sub channels will come in.

Any thoughts???
KSTR on RF34 is currently broadcasting in ATSC 3.0, which there are no current (affordable) receivers for. Because of this, KSTR is simulcasting its three programs on two other stations. 49.1 (Unimas) and 49.3 (GRIT) are currently broadcasting on KUVN's signal (RF33), while 49.2 (GetTV) is currently broadcasting on KTXD's signal (RF23).

So, it sounds like your neighbor's TV is picking up 49.2 GetTV because it's picking up KTXD (RF23). In order to get GRIT, do a manual scan of KUVN (RF33). Should add the three KUVN programs and the other two KSTR programs to the channel list.
See The Light likes this.
post #9826 of 9833 Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Attribution of these low power stations is questionable. They don't have a TSID and for some I add an over ride on their identity. (Such as KXDA on RF5.)

I thought about turning my antenna a bit to the north to see if that helped but decided against it. While I have great line of site to Cedar Hill (navigation lights are visible at night) the same can't be said for anything to the north.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9827 of 9833 Old 02-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

KJJM is back up on RF12

I noticed that the clock on my DVR+ was behind by 5 minutes this morning. That means that there was some activity on channels in the area, which for some reason causes my DVR+ to lose 5 minutes of time. It's like a stone being tossed into a pond, where the ripples radiate out and then dissipate. It all goes back to normal within a week.

Because I noticed this I ran a full scan on it, and noticed three things. One is that KJJM is back up on the 34 channel series (RF 12). Spanish and shopping channels are what it seems to be airing. The audio is also clipping a lot, the same as on K07AAD, but the picture quality is good. The second thing I noticed is that KBOP on channel 20 has disappeared. Not sure if they switched frequencies with KJJM or what, but it's gone. The third thing I noticed with the rescan is that the duplicate channels I was getting for KUVN and KSTR from the downtown Fort Worth transmitter have also disappeared. I still get the regular assortment of those channels, but the "-CD" versions are gone. So now I am at 93 channels and holding, whereas I would have been over 100 with the KJJM channels being added.

EDIT: I was going to rescan my other devices, but noticed that KBOP-LD was still coming in on them. So I did a manual scan of RF 20 on my DVR+. The first time it didn't take, but the second time I got 4 channels added--with a signal quality of 1 showing! The reception isn't as good as it was, and there is a lot of pixelation so someone is tweaking the old electronifications for broadcast signals in our area. But I've noticed changes on KBOP (RF 20), KJJM (RF 12) and whatever the RF was for the KUVN/KSTR channels broadcasting from downtown Fort Worth. So somewhere in that mix there are a lot of shenanigans going down. 97 channels...for now.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 02-15-2020 at 12:34 PM.
post #9828 of 9833 Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 PM

I guess HC2 really is making a push to get their LPs back on the air. Wonder what will be coming next.

KJJM's construction permit has it covering southwest from Arlington, so only really covering the Fort Worth-side of the metroplex again. They did put in a modification request to broadcast from another transmitter pointed north, in order to cover Dallas as well, but it's been pending for the past 6 months. However, I doubt it'll be approved, as it would end up interfering with KXII's signal (which reaches as far south as The Colony and Allen). My reception of KXII hasn't taken a hit, so KJJM seems to be using the original CP's transmitter, and not their still-pending modification.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 02-15-2020 at 02:19 PM.
post #9829 of 9833 Old 02-15-2020, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess HC2 really is making a push to get their LPs back on the air. Wonder what will be coming next.
Yes, Ft. Worth has gotten three stations that have disappeared (probably forever) from my neck of the metroplex: K31GL(->K07AAD), KJJM, and possibly KPFW if they can fix the weird transmitter issue they seem to be having.

At this point it doesn't sound like I'm missing much on K07AAD, but before repacking, KJJM carried The Country Network on 34.7. It was the only one of their subchannels that wasn't shopping or infomercials. @Greasemonkey didn't mention it though, so I may not be missing anything there either.

But there are a couple of HC2-owned stations I may still be able to get, if HC2 lights them up: KSFW on RF 2, and KODF on RF 3. KSFW has been off the air for years (I think the original owner ran into trouble for violating the no-foreign-ownership rule and had to sell the station) but KODF was broadcasting until they had to shut down for the repack. However, most of KODF's subchannels migrated to KHPK, so if they do light up there's no telling what they'll broadcast.
post #9830 of 9833 Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, Ft. Worth has gotten three stations that have disappeared (probably forever) from my neck of the metroplex: K31GL(->K07AAD), KJJM, and possibly KPFW if they can fix the weird transmitter issue they seem to be having.

At this point it doesn't sound like I'm missing much on K07AAD, but before repacking, KJJM carried The Country Network on 34.7. It was the only one of their subchannels that wasn't shopping or infomercials. @Greasemonkey didn't mention it though, so I may not be missing anything there either.

But there are a couple of HC2-owned stations I may still be able to get, if HC2 lights them up: KSFW on RF 2, and KODF on RF 3. KSFW has been off the air for years (I think the original owner ran into trouble for violating the no-foreign-ownership rule and had to sell the station) but KODF was broadcasting until they had to shut down for the repack. However, most of KODF's subchannels migrated to KHPK, so if they do light up there's no telling what they'll broadcast.
Don't forget KNAV as well, hopefully they're working on actually constructing their new digital facility.

On the topic of HC2, Rabbitears also has them listed as the operator of KHFW on RF4. I'm kinda surprised that the station is still licensed, since I don't think it's been broadcasting for years. I am in the broadcast area of KHFW, and while it's supposed to be a very low power station, I haven't ever picked up even a hint of an 8vsb signal on RF4.

Anyway, I went diving through the FCC's records for both KSFW and KHFW, and see that there actually has been some updates for them on the application side of things. It looks like both KSFW and KHFW were selling their licenses to HC2 ("Voluntary Assignment of License"), which was granted on December 16th. However, it looks like HC2 submitted a letter on February 4th, stating that they "do not intend to consummate assignments associated with KSFW and KHFW".

I wonder what this means for KSFW and KHFW. Are the licenses on the chopping block? Hopefully someone can take a better look at these sale/transfer and non-consummate letters.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 02-15-2020 at 09:46 PM.
post #9831 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No sign of The Country Network on it yet, but only 3 of the 7 channels are airing programming. Based on what I've seen so far, 34.1 is Spanish, 34.2 is shopping, 34.3 is infomercials, 34.4 is color bars, and 34.5-34.7 are blank. But like the channel 28 series, there is certainly room (and hope) for some decent programming
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9832 of 9833 Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't forget KNAV as well, hopefully they're working on actually constructing their new digital facility.

On the topic of HC2, Rabbitears also has them listed as the operator of KHFW on RF4. I'm kinda surprised that the station is still licensed, since I don't think it's been broadcasting for years. I am in the broadcast area of KHFW, and while it's supposed to be a very low power station, I haven't ever picked up even a hint of an 8vsb signal on RF4.

Anyway, I went diving through the FCC's records for both KSFW and KHFW, and see that there actually has been some updates for them on the application side of things. It looks like both KSFW and KHFW were selling their licenses to HC2 ("Voluntary Assignment of License"), which was granted on December 16th. However, it looks like HC2 submitted a letter on February 4th, stating that they "do not intend to consummate assignments associated with KSFW and KHFW".

I wonder what this means for KSFW and KHFW. Are the licenses on the chopping block? Hopefully someone can take a better look at these sale/transfer and non-consummate letters.
Yes, KNAV has been off the air for a while, so I too hope that's because they're building their digital transmitter. They were airing Jewelry TV on their analog signal when they went off the air, but back when K31GL was on, KNAV used to simulcast Hot TV with them. It looks like what K07AAD is now airing is more up K31MU's alley (even though it's the official successor to K31GL), so it would be logical for HC2 to move K31GL's programming to KNAV since it covers the whole metroplex as K31GL used to.

KHFW is licensed to broadcast from downtown, but in KWDA's file I saw a letter from KHFW allowing KWDA to interfere with that RF 4 facility. I took that as an indication that KHFW did not intend to light up. If there's any programming they wanted to broadcast, perhaps KWDA will broadcast it for them. (I haven't seen a formal channel sharing agreement, so maybe KWDA will just broadcast the programming and not identify it as coming from KHFW.)

I think KHFW, KSFW, and KWDA are/were all owned by Spanish religious groups, so I wouldn't expect a lot of high-quality programming. That said, before the repack KWDA was airing a Spanish music channel called Unimax (not to be confused with Unimas) that didn't appear to be religious, so there's some hope.

Last edited by JHBrandt; Today at 09:34 AM.
post #9833 of 9833 Old Today, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if this is significant, but I noticed that the signal strength for KPFW (RF 5) has jumped 7-10 points today. It's now jumping back and forth between 77 and 81. Signal quality is still a big goose egg and doesn't change, even for a second. I don't know if they can test their transmitter by broadcasting a signal with good strength, but zero quality, but that's what I'm hoping for. The other theory rattling around in my head is that my HD Stacker antenna is not up to the challenge of pulling in a VHF-Lo signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page