post #10051 of 10117 Old 05-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Channel Master followed that with the Stream+, which came closer with Google's Live Channels app. But AIUI, you still can't add any arbitrary streaming app to Live Channels; it has to be specially written to integrate. And I doubt CBSN's Android app integrates with it, although I'd love to be wrong about that!
Unfortunately the CBS News app doesn't integrate. Their now corp sibling PlutoTV does integrate with Live Channels, but they only have CBSN, CBSN New York and CBSN Los Angeles.
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10052 of 10117 Old 05-19-2020, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Never heard of Channels DVR, so I Googled it.... I see it's a DVR service, a bit like the ones you can get with Sling TV, PS Vue, and the like.

DVRs in general have a Maxwell Smart-like ability to "miss it by that much" when it comes to this. Channel Master's DVR+ promised just this sort of integration when it came out: your local channels would be numbered 2-199 (100 and up for duplicate virtual channels), with 200 and up reserved for apps. The idea was great: you could have loaded a CBSN app and its channels would get the next available channel numbers, so CBSN Dallas would have had its own channel number on your DVR+ complete with an EPG (albeit presumably with no recording of streaming channels). But the DVR+ never exposed an API for developers to write their own apps, so that great idea never went anywhere. I think they only wrote four apps for it in four years of marketing.

Channel Master followed that with the Stream+, which came closer with Google's Live Channels app. But AIUI, you still can't add any arbitrary streaming app to Live Channels; it has to be specially written to integrate. And I doubt CBSN's Android app integrates with it, although I'd love to be wrong about that!

Closer still would be something like the AirTV or Amazon Recast. The only limitation would be that CBSN would need to be available on the appropriate partner service (Sling or PS Vue respectively).
The Channels DVR TVE stuff will record the streams that are available from the websites of every channel that has live streaming available using a provider login. So like you can go to Fox Sports Go or Food Network or TNT or whatever in your browser and watch the channel live after logging in using your cable/satellite/streaming login, and Channels can do that same thing, but also DVR it. It doesn't work for streams that are DRMed like HBO, but aside from that it has pretty much every notable channel available. There are also a couple dozen channels that just have streams available online for free, including many of the subchannel networks, all the CBSNs, ABC News, and so on, and it can also DVR those. It doesn't matter what the app supports as long as the channel in question has a live stream available online. And since the original point of Channels was to support live TV from the HDHomeRun on iOS and Apple TV, it still has full support for that for live and DVR. It's really an all in one DVR and does stuff that no one else is doing, and without the annoying limitations on the streaming services (limited retention, no FF, etc.). You have to run the DVR backend on something halfway decent like a computer or midrange or better NAS, but the client runs on most of the major platforms (Android touchscreen, Android TV, Fire TV, iOS, Apple TV, web browsers).
JHBrandt likes this.
post #10053 of 10117 Old 05-19-2020, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The optical fiber cable transmits information in very high definition because it will not be disturbed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10054 of 10117 Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Channel 4/KDFW read their "Viewers Voice" e-mails tonight and one was from someone named Eric who watches via OTA and asked why reception on both KDFW and KDFI have been so spotty lately. The reply was that both stations share an antenna tower with WFAA, and WFAA was doing work on their antenna, which meant that KDFW and KDFI had to lower their transmitter power for the worker's safety. The problems might last until the end of the week. They recommended watching 27.1 on 4.3 until the situation is fixed. No mention as to watching the other KDFI channels until then. So it looks like no movies on Movies! for the next several days. Nice that they copped to what was going on, though. It's rare to see stations talking about how the sausage is made, kind of like radio stations not alerting listeners to format changes until it happens.
post #10055 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks for the update Greasemonkey. I left several messages at the phone number listed on their website for their "TV reception problem" manager. With naturally no return phone calls or emails. But I do appreciate their response on air for the issue. Well let's hope it's up and running by the weekend. Don't want to miss the TJ Hooker Binge on Decades!
post #10056 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
... both stations share an antenna tower with WFAA, and WFAA was doing work on their antenna, which meant that KDFW and KDFI had to lower their transmitter power for the worker's safety..
Thanks for that I saw it last night and forgot about that email that was read. What's funny is KDFW and KDFI signals have both suffered the worse; KDFW down 15 to 20 sq and KDFI off the air right now, but WFAA is still plugging along only about 5-8 counts below their usual 96-100.
post #10057 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

WFAA is transmitting from their Aux facility, which still gives them a 70 mile coverage area:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....c&site=1&map=Y

KDFW's aux site only gives them a 51.5 mile coverage area:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....a&site=1&map=Y

KDFI doesn't have any aux facility.
ed_in_tx and JHBrandt like this.

Last edited by KyL416; 05-20-2020 at 11:06 AM.
post #10058 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
WFAA/KDFI Antenna Work

The Aux Site for WFAA has the same old batwing antenna Horiz pol. Less power but more antenna gain than KDFW. They have a 2 bay antenna. My Spectrum Analyzer shows KDFW way down and WFAA only about 6db down. KDFI My27 moved from the Tar Rd tower to Hill Tower and is on RF27 after repack. KDFI has no backup. They have My27 on 4.3 but none of the dot channels.
Johnny S
Retired
rakstr and ed_in_tx like this.
post #10059 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStigler View Post
The Aux Site for WFAA has the same old batwing antenna Horiz pol. Less power but more antenna gain than KDFW.
So what is the actual danger from being so close to MHz waves? Does it slice you like a light sabre? Fry you like a bug zapper or roast you like a microwave? Make you sterile?
post #10060 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
So what is the actual danger from being so close to MHz waves? Does it slice you like a light sabre? Fry you like a bug zapper or roast you like a microwave? Make you sterile?
All of the above. There are personal meters that you wear for measurement (looks like a pager). This is required. You can were an RF Suit for some work. The tower is mapped for RF Exposure so you know where not to go.
Johnny S.
arnoldevns and ed_in_tx like this.
post #10061 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Is it safe to presume that KDFW is still transmitting at reduce power. Getting a lot of pixelation this evening up in Flower Mound
post #10062 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3014 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Yep - looks like they're still at reduced power. Reception of KDFW is probably going to be spotty for the rest of the week.
rakstr and See The Light like this.
post #10063 of 10117 Old 05-20-2020, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tonight channel 4 read another e-mail on the Viewers Voice about trouble receiving KDFW. I think it was from someone in Flower Mound West Plano. They reiterated that WFAA is "replacing something" on their tower and that they knew people might have trouble receiving KDFW, and might not be able to receive KDFI at all. So I guess that means that KDFI is still on the air, but their footprint might be down to a few hundred yards or so...

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 05-21-2020 at 09:35 AM.
post #10064 of 10117 Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 228
With all the crap these stations put on "crawlers" and unsold airtime these days, you'd think their limited transmission issues would be one of them

Quote:
Tonight channel 4 read another e-mail on the Viewers Voice about trouble receiving KDFW. I think it was from someone in Flower Mound West Plano. They reiterated that WFAA is "replacing something" on their tower and that they knew people might have trouble receiving KDFW, and might not be able to receive KDFI at all. So I guess that means that KDFI is still on the air, but their footprint might be down to a few hundred yards or so...
post #10065 of 10117 Old 05-21-2020, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yet another Viewers Voice update on channel 4. Apparently they are getting rained on with questions from people who are wondering what is going on. But the response is not encouraging. Tonight they said the problems could last into next week. I'm thinking that someone climbed all the way up to the top of the tower today and realized they had the wrong sized socket with them, and that may have been the end of the work day.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #10066 of 10117 Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

WFAA's replacing their antenna, so a lot more than just maintenance is going on.

Last edited by KyL416; 05-21-2020 at 10:38 PM.
post #10067 of 10117 Old 05-22-2020, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
WFAA's replacing their antenna, so a lot more than just maintenance is going on.
I hope they post a video of it. I recall the "Goliath" helicopter and Ch 11's new antenna a few years ago. Quite breathtaking, especially if you don't like heights.
See The Light likes this.
post #10068 of 10117 Old 05-22-2020, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyL416 View Post
Why can't they just loosen a couple of bolts, wait on the winds from storms this weekend, and then blame it on that and file for insurance reimbursement? Storm season seems like an untimely window to do a tower replacement.
post #10069 of 10117 Old 05-22-2020, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It looks like they found a backup for KDFI as it has returned. The message on their web site implied low power output but if so it was less than 1KW. My HDHR was throwing zeros on that channel and there are low power stations that do better than that.

No changes to WFAA or KDFW signals at that time. So either they fixed their backup system or realized it wasn't turned on. :-)
post #10070 of 10117 Old 05-22-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
Why can't they just loosen a couple of bolts, wait on the winds from storms this weekend, and then blame it on that and file for insurance reimbursement? Storm season seems like an untimely window to do a tower replacement.
Wasn't it WFAA's tower that took a tumble in an ice storm a few years back? Might look suspicious if it happened again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
It looks like they found a backup for KDFI as it has returned. The message on their web site implied low power output but if so it was less than 1KW. My HDHR was throwing zeros on that channel and there are low power stations that do better than that.
Back for me, too. But near the downtown area of Fort Worth I am getting 100/100 for SS/SQ. That may not mean much though, because am also using an RF amplifier. Still have flawless PQ. Now if we can only nudge KLEG into action...
post #10071 of 10117 Old 05-22-2020, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Looks like they might have turned KDFI's main transmitter back on for the weekend, getting 100/98 on my HDHR here in the McKinney area.
post #10072 of 10117 Old 05-22-2020, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So in the "Coming Soon" department, all we are lacking is channel 52.5 going online, presumably with another iteration of the Jewelry Channel.
It's on!
post #10073 of 10117 Old 05-23-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's on!
Glad it's up and working, but would still have preferred something other than another shopping channel. Or at least a better shopping channel--like the Liquor Channel, or the Illegal Fireworks Channel, or anything cooler than the Jewelry Channel.
post #10074 of 10117 Old 05-23-2020, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Cook you like a microwave is the closest. TV broadcasts are on wavelengths measured in centimeters and meters (or inches and feet), so they are non-ionizing and won't blast electrons off atoms and mangle your DNA and give you cancer, but it's still a lot of energy and will heat the cells in your body and literally cook you if you get too close for too long. There are fences around our broadcast sites here in Dallas, but they're strictly to keep people from getting in and messing with things. With most everything here transmitting from about 1500' above ground level, you could pack a lunch and walk up to the base of the tower and put down a blanket and have a picnic and take a nap and it would cause you no ill effects. On the other hand, a broadcast site like Phoenix's, which has short towers on top of a mountain, needs better fencing just because there are potential safety issues if people were able to just wander around up there.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #10075 of 10117 Old 05-23-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd8000 View Post
Cook you like a microwave is the closest. TV broadcasts are on wavelengths measured in centimeters and meters (or inches and feet), so they are non-ionizing and won't blast electrons off atoms and mangle your DNA and give you cancer, but it's still a lot of energy and will heat the cells in your body and literally cook you if you get too close for too long. There are fences around our broadcast sites here in Dallas, but they're strictly to keep people from getting in and messing with things. With most everything here transmitting from about 1500' above ground level, you could pack a lunch and walk up to the base of the tower and put down a blanket and have a picnic and take a nap and it would cause you no ill effects. On the other hand, a broadcast site like Phoenix's, which has short towers on top of a mountain, needs better fencing just because there are potential safety issues if people were able to just wander around up there.
We have two TV towers here in Cleveland (Parma) OH that are now located within a metro park. You can literally walk right up to them and the guy wire anchors. There are even walking paths that circle around the one tower (WOIO) and right up to the fence of the other (WBNX). Ariel view on Google Maps. Also, I think that the closer you are to the base of the tower, the less you are exposed to the high RF's as it's all above your head at that point. You're likely going to get the most exposure if you're at least half a mile or more away from the tower when it starts to hit the ground.

Newer is not always better.
post #10076 of 10117 Old 05-24-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

AIUI the radiation pattern of those VHF/UHF transmitting antennas is very disc-like; very little radiation goes up or down; it all gets sent out nearly horizontally. That's on purpose because any other direction would just be wasted energy, but it also makes it pretty safe under the towers as long as they are high enough above you.
post #10077 of 10117 Old 05-24-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad it's up and working, but would still have preferred something other than another shopping channel. Or at least a better shopping channel--like the Liquor Channel, or the Illegal Fireworks Channel, or anything cooler than the Jewelry Channel.
Yes, I agree; there are plenty of things more interesting to sell. I'd rather watch HSN than JTV, and I never watch HSN for more than a minute or two!

But I must admit there's something about JTV that can hypnotize me for at least a few minutes. I guess it falls in that MST3K category of "so bad it's almost good" or something. I can imagine a silhouette of a guy and two robots across the bottom of the screen making wisecracks at the hokey content....

BTW, it's still on KNAV in analog (although seemingly without sound ATM ). But KNAV's few viewers will likely discover 52.5 soon. I'm hoping that puts pressure on KNAV to finally pull the trigger on digital broadcasting.
post #10078 of 10117 Old 05-24-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
AIUI the radiation pattern of those VHF/UHF transmitting antennas is very disc-like; very little radiation goes up or down; it all gets sent out nearly horizontally. That's on purpose because any other direction would just be wasted energy, but it also makes it pretty safe under the towers as long as they are high enough above you.
What about vertical polarization that many stations are now using after being repacked to their new frequencies? I know that it is nowhere as strong compared to horizontal.

Newer is not always better.
post #10079 of 10117 Old 05-24-2020, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But I must admit there's something about JTV that can hypnotize me for at least a few minutes. I guess it falls in that MST3K category of "so bad it's almost good" or something. I can imagine a silhouette of a guy and two robots across the bottom of the screen making wisecracks at the hokey content....
You mean like this?

But I doubt you will see anything this dramatic on the Jewelry Channel...although we can hope!
JHBrandt likes this.
post #10080 of 10117 Old 05-24-2020, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
What about vertical polarization that many stations are now using after being repacked to their new frequencies? I know that it is nowhere as strong compared to horizontal.
Polarization isn't related to the radiation pattern. Try passing a focused beam of light (e.g., a laser pointer) through a polarized filter. The filter won't cause the beam to spread out significantly. (It may spread a bit, but only due to optical imperfections in the filter, not to the polarization of the light.)

The electric field component of a TV broadcast can oscillate horizontally, circularly, or elliptically. Circular or elliptical polarization includes a vertical component, so an antenna with a vertical element (as a portable TV might have) can pick up the signal. But the beam can still spread out horizontally from the transmitting antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page