Originally Posted by Greasemonkey
Good luck with your frankentenna!
Unfortunately it didn't work out. I try to be methodical about these things, so rather than changing everything out all at once, I started by splicing the Y5-2-6 in with an HLSJ, keeping the good ol' 3020 for VHF-Hi and UHF.
Had VHF-Lo performance improved, I would've tried out the HBU44. I think it's weaker than the 3020 on UHF, but post-repack all our stations (except K26KC) are strong enough to take the hit. Unfortunately VHF-Lo performance turned out to be worse, so I pulled the plug and switched back to the 3020 for all bands.
KODF has actually been halfway decent today, maintaining a tenuous lock throughout the afternoon (except for the duration of the experiment). For me, reception of KODF depends almost entirely on how much interference happens to be plaguing the VHF-Lo band at any point in time. (I can view the interference levels by looking at the "signal" strength on RF 2 and 4.) When interference isn't too bad, KODF has a little pixelation but is still quite watchable. But when interference levels go up it becomes unwatchable or I lose the lock entirely.
I can't see any daily, weekly, or other obvious pattern to the level of interference, except that, as my luck would have it, it's been unusually high from yesterday through about noon today, when it finally relented a bit. But as I write this, it's gone back up again.