Philadelphia, PA - OTA - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #4141 of 4698 Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Superbowl reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranzPhat View Post
Interesting that you should say this. I had tested all 7 subchannels and all played fine for me, no pixelation, no bluriness (other than what one would expect on 480i).
I agree that I get those channels with no problems; however, that's not the real reason for my post.

I lost WCAU channel 10 during the Superbowl. I got most of the 1st half, the halftime show, then a little bit of the start of the 2nd half, then I lost everything.

I had WKYW and MeTV but nothing else. I even lost WLVT out of Allentown, which is strange unless there's a substation from the antenna farm. I'm assuming it was either the antenna farm or I dunno what else.

Yesterday at ~5-6 pm or so it was all back to normal reception for me.

I would have thought I'd see a post here about it but I don't see anything. Did anybody else lose reception?

I also checked the Ionosphere map and there was no activity there.

So I'm completely baffled.

P.S. I'm watching broadcast TV, not cable.

What, me worry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4698 Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max View Post
I lost WCAU channel 10 during the Superbowl. I got most of the 1st half, the halftime show, then a little bit of the start of the 2nd half, then I lost everything.....

Yesterday at ~5-6 pm or so it was all back to normal reception for me......

....I would have thought I'd see a post here about it but I don't see anything. Did anybody else lose reception?
No problem watching the entire game on WCAU (10) here in Lansdale. No issues with WFMZ either.

I recall that is was raining here during most of the game - what is your typical NM for WCAU there in Bridgewater? Do you typically have reception issues during inclement weather?
post #4143 of 4698 Old 02-06-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2391 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max View Post
I lost WCAU channel 10 during the Superbowl. I got most of the 1st half, the halftime show, then a little bit of the start of the 2nd half, then I lost everything.
I had good OTA reception for the whole game as well. There was about 30 seconds of dead air about half way through the second quarter but I think that affected everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 4698 Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
No problem watching the entire game on WCAU (10) here in Lansdale. No issues with WFMZ either.
I recall that is was raining here during most of the game - what is your typical NM for WCAU there in Bridgewater? Do you typically have reception issues during inclement weather?
I've never before lost WCAU so it can't be the rain. Also, I lost most all of my other channels as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I had good OTA reception for the whole game as well. There was about 30 seconds of dead air about half way through the second quarter but I think that affected everyone.
Yes, I saw that story as well. I believe that did affect pretty much everybody watching it on NBC.

I guess it just affected me. I'm still baffled by it. It couldn't have been my VOOM box because the Samsung box was affected as well. I have 2 of both tho' I didn't try them all.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

What, me worry?
post #4145 of 4698 Old 02-28-2018, 05:33 AM

WPPX - Ch31 (Virtual 61) - anyone but me having reception problems the last two days?
post #4146 of 4698 Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
WPPX - Ch31 (Virtual 61) - anyone but me having reception problems the last two days?
I haven't had any problem with WPPX.

I have had to rescan for WCAU a few times in the last month or so.
post #4147 of 4698 Old 02-28-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't get a lock on WPPX. I haven't tried it in the past two days so I have no idea how long it has been like that. I just tried to re-scan but all that did was remove it from my TV's channel memory.
post #4148 of 4698 Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
I can't get a lock on WPPX. I haven't tried it in the past two days so I have no idea how long it has been like that. I just tried to re-scan but all that did was remove it from my TV's channel memory.
Well, it's coming in just fine here in Lower Bucks County. But seems like they've recently (2/9/2018) received authorization for a temporary antenna on a different tower and with a different pattern to be used during the repack transition (31->34). Perhaps they've switched 31 over to that antenna. See:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...61333a1d6a14c3
https://rabbitears.info/market.php?r...n=wppx#station
https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...37264&goBack=N
Ken.F likes this.

Last edited by frank70; 02-28-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #4149 of 4698 Old 02-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Well, it's coming in just fine here in Lower Bucks County. But seems like they've recently (2/9/2018) received authorization for a temporary antenna on a different tower and with a different pattern to be used during the repack transition (31->34). Perhaps they've switched 31 over to that antenna. See:
Hmmm, I wonder what your signals levels are and how they compare to a couple of days ago?

Starting yesterday morning, the signal here in Central Montgomery County has dropped between 20-25 dB. Even on a temporary tower, that is a significant reduction in power. It is basically unwatchable as the lock goes on & off ever coupla seconds.

Besides, I read somewhere that the WPPX repack was scheduled for 2019. If so, it's kind of early for such a switch, IMO. Also, WCAU has to move before WPPX switches to 34 and that is scheduled for 2019 as well.
post #4150 of 4698 Old 02-28-2018, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder what your signals levels are and how they compare to a couple of days ago?

Starting yesterday morning, the signal here in Central Montgomery County has dropped between 20-25 dB. Even on a temporary tower, that is a significant reduction in power. It is basically unwatchable as the lock goes on & off ever coupla seconds.

Besides, I read somewhere that the WPPX repack was scheduled for 2019. If so, it's kind of early for such a switch, IMO. Also, WCAU has to move before WPPX switches to 34 and that is scheduled for 2019 as well.
Yeah, the timing of this is kinda weird. Perhaps the 5-month window is just a test run of the temporary antenna in preparation for the real thing in 2019. In any case, a call or email to the station engineer from you folks that have lost reception would seem appropriate: https://iontelevision.com/contact .
post #4151 of 4698 Old 03-01-2018, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 887
ION is apparently trying to get away from American Tower. In Houston, they recently moved their signal from the American Tower they had been on for many years to the tower of ABC's KTRK. It looks like the STA is to move off the American Tower they're on in Philadelphia and onto WPVI's tower, and they've asked to move their repacked channel 34 signal onto WPVI's tower as well.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4152 of 4698 Old 03-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Also, WCAU has to move before WPPX switches to 34 and that is scheduled for 2019 as well.
Speaking of WCAU, ch34 - I have also noticed quite a bit of noise on the channel over the last couple of days as well - I am seeing the SNR fluctuate 10-15 dB over a one minute period - also odd behavior. I still am getting clear reception, but something screwy seems to be going on.
post #4153 of 4698 Old 03-02-2018, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone having trouble receiving WYBE or WBPH over the air ? They use the WBPH channel 9 transmitter in Allentown. Today I noticed both signals are strong on my Tivo Roamio and Directv OTA but there is no video or audio . Did the storm knock out the channel 9 transmitter ? I remember reading when WFMZ (Ch.69) requested to use their transmitter rather than channel 9's in the repack they stated that the channel 9 transmitter was not as reliable and has gone down several times in bad weather .
post #4154 of 4698 Old 03-03-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodey View Post
Anyone having trouble receiving WYBE or WBPH over the air ? They use the WBPH channel 9 transmitter in Allentown. Today I noticed both signals are strong on my Tivo Roamio and Directv OTA but there is no video or audio . Did the storm knock out the channel 9 transmitter ? I remember reading when WFMZ (Ch.69) requested to use their transmitter rather than channel 9's in the repack they stated that the channel 9 transmitter was not as reliable and has gone down several times in bad weather .
Something strange is going with those stations. I am receiving the carrier at full strength, but no programming on any subchannel. The transmitter is working, but nothing else apparently.

I have read that WFMZ, WBPH and WLVT formed a Joint Venture where all three stations will share equal bandwidth on RF channel 9, each getting a 720p subchannel and WFMZ will get an additional 480i subchannel for its Accuweather broadcast. They will be using the WFMZ tower when the repack happens, currently target for early-mid summer.
WYBE entered into separate agreement with WBPH to share WBPH's portion of bandwith.
post #4155 of 4698 Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I really hate VHF. Many of us only have UHF antennas.
post #4156 of 4698 Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Noticed WYBE and WBPH are back tonight but with signals levels lower than I usually see on these channels .
post #4157 of 4698 Old 03-15-2018, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone else noticed a drop in signal power on WTFX 29.1 recently?
post #4158 of 4698 Old 03-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 2869
It seems I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2018-03-15 at 8.48.08 PM.png
Views:	72
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2375830  
post #4159 of 4698 Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It seems I have.
My signal here in Lansdale this morning is actually better than usual.
post #4160 of 4698 Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
YES! I used to get it over the air! Now it no longer comes in! All the sub-channels are gone also! Rescanning doesn't work.
post #4161 of 4698 Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's been like this for about a month now!
post #4162 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minda Krawitz View Post
It's been like this for about a month now!
Check your location with respect to Roxborough and compare to this antenna pattern (Roxborough being the dot in the center): https://rabbitears.info/pattern.php?...tion=0&erp=210

Chances are you're in one of those two nulls to the northeast and northwest.
post #4163 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Check your location with respect to Roxborough and compare to this antenna pattern (Roxborough being the dot in the center): https://rabbitears.info/pattern.php?...tion=0&erp=210

That's interesting. I should be in the sweet spot NNW of Roxborough but WPPX is always sketchy. I'm getting a lock right now with 16.8 dB showing on my TV's signal meter. I usually can't hold a lock below 16. I know TV signal meters aren't known for accuracy but for the sake of comparison KYW on RF-26 is coming in at 22.0 dB and WCAU on RF-34 is 25.6 dB right now.

On the map below my house is at the blue dot near the Perkasie label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WPPX.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2394438  
post #4164 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 887
If it's side-mounted on the southern side of the tower, you may be looking through the tower at the antenna.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #4165 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked: 5025
Of possible interest to the Philly OTA community:

FCC Disses Philly DBS Dish Restrictions
Says they violate over-air-antenna rule
By John Eggerton - MultichannelNews - April 20, 2018

The FCC has no brotherly, or sisterly, love for a Philadelphia ordinance restricting DBS dishes.

In a victory for DBS distributors and potentially broadcasters and broadband distributors, the FCC's Media Bureau has ruled that a city ordinance violates the Over-the Air Reception Devices Rule by imposing requirements "regarding certification, notification, painting, and removal" of satellite dishes and limits their placement on facades of homes and buildings.

The Satellite Broadcasting & Communications Association had sought the FCC ruling, which applies to dishes in multi-dwelling units (MDUs) as well as single-family homes.The city had argued the ordinance was address the "uncontrolled proliferation of satellite signal reception devices on the front of homes throughout the City," which it argued hurt the appearance, safety, and property values of residents. The OTARD rule specifically prohibits, with a few exceptions, government and private (home owners associations, for example) restrictions on dishes below a certain size (and any size in Alaska) that "impair the ability of antenna users to install, maintain, or use over-the-air-reception devices."

That goes for broadcast over-the-air antennas and broadband and fixed wireless antennas, which could proliferate as the FCC opens up spectrum for creative ways to deliver competing broadband service.

Anyone affected by antenna restrictions can petition the FCC for a ruling on whether the restriction is permitted or prohibited. SBCA did, and the FCC concluded the Philly restriction was out of bounds. The city had not yet imposed the restriction, and told the FCC when it did it would comply with OTARD, but the FCC said OTARD did not require that parties postpone petitioning for relief until a restriction is enforced, or until implementing regulations are imposed.

The FCC also rejected the argument by the city, joined by Boston, Los Angeles and the National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisers (NATOA) that the FCC would be interfering with local policing power. One of the carveouts from OTARD is for public safety, but the FCC said the city's claim of a safety issue did not qualify for the exception.

"The OTARD Rule is very specific regarding the circumstances under which the safety exception applies, and general statements of safety and welfare interests are not sufficient to qualify for an exception."

https://www.multichannel.com/news/fc...h-restrictions

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4166 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
If it's side-mounted on the southern side of the tower, you may be looking through the tower at the antenna.
I hadn't thought of that. I assumed they always put the antenna on top of the tower.
post #4167 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Interesting that they would align antenna with nulls in two densely populated areas. I live NNE of Roxborough - Center of Montgomery County, a very densely populated area - it is strange to aim antennas in a direction to avoid high populated areas. what are they trying to hide? LOL.

Anyway, previously, I emailed WPPX about this issue and got an form "do not respond" and "do not expect a response" response. I called and received a "due to high volume" and "do not expect a response" message in return.

Obviously, they don't care. And, I haven't been watching much WPPX programming these days. I wonder if their advertisers realize this.
post #4168 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I live NNE of Roxborough - Center of Montgomery County, a very densely populated area...
Lansdale is NNW of Roxbororgh. Your signal path is darn near identical to mine, you are just a little closer.
post #4169 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Lansdale is NNW of Roxbororgh. Your signal path is darn near identical to mine, you are just a little closer.
You are right. I often have trouble distinguishing up from down, lol.
Ken.F likes this.
post #4170 of 4698 Old 04-23-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. I assumed they always put the antenna on top of the tower.
There are only about 9 towers - the big boys get the prime real estate.

Spin around and look up: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0428...7i13312!8i6656
Ken.F likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page