San Francisco, CA - AT&T - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 104
According to the residential gateway (called the 2wire gateway), I'm getting 27.2Mb/s down and 2Mb/s up so with my IP service capped at 6Mb/s, that leave 21Mb/s for IPTV.

I'm surprised that it is missing UHD. Not so surprising is the lack of FSNBA-HD. A&E HD but no HIST HD (which I'd prefer to have).

The guide is extremely slow. The entire remote interaction is slow. the skip forward is strange. it shows about 6 shots as it zips forward. The HR20 fast skip is much nicer.

One of the major issues I had is that there isn't a way to set the display resolution from the front panel. My samsung DLP input i choose can only do progressive and the component output defaulted to 480i. Initially, the HDMI used was set to 720p but the box doesn't treat that a global setting, just HDMI. So we had to unplug the 480i input, switch to 720p, and swap all the cables back. What a pain.

The DVR (RM4100) also doesn't have a coax output for digital output, only toslink.

I never thought I'd see a box which makes me appreciate the HR20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the DVR doesn't buffer while viewing a recording. I was watching giants/cubs on FSNBA, watched a recorded from MHD, and went back to live tv and the viewing buffer was empty.
post #33 of 59 Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
I got a postcard the other day, only like 4 months after they initially said it was available in Cupertino.

Looks like prices start at $74?

No way just to get the data part and maybe a minimal TV install? Or no TV at all?

Hmm, I pay Comcast $70 (including taxes) for Internet and basic cable with a basic HDTV box.

I could switch but I would need the Internet part itemized in the bill so that I could get reimbursed.

Or I could jsut dump Comcast TV service and add $10 to my Direct TV so that when they get the new satellite online, I should get more HD channels than either cable or U-Verse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 Old 07-19-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Note that HD is an additional $10 / mo. Personally, I think between D*, Comcast, and U-verse that I prefer D* so far.
post #35 of 59 Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

I got a postcard the other day, only like 4 months after they initially said it was available in Cupertino.

Looks like prices start at $74?

No way just to get the data part and maybe a minimal TV install? Or no TV at all?

Hmm, I pay Comcast $70 (including taxes) for Internet and basic cable with a basic HDTV box.

I could switch but I would need the Internet part itemized in the bill so that I could get reimbursed.

Or I could jsut dump Comcast TV service and add $10 to my Direct TV so that when they get the new satellite online, I should get more HD channels than either cable or U-Verse.

What comcast package are you signed up for?
post #36 of 59 Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Any new info on U-Verse adding pay-per-view service?
post #37 of 59 Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just basic cable and a HDTV box rental, which come to about $25 including taxes.

I get all the local stations plus ESPN and ESPN2, Discovery HD, FSNBA.
post #38 of 59 Old 09-19-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Just basic cable and a HDTV box rental, which come to about $25 including taxes.

I get all the local stations plus ESPN and ESPN2, Discovery HD, FSNBA.

Do you also get TLC & BBC? And are you getting the digital channels also (ie channels above 100)?
post #39 of 59 Old 09-19-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No.

Just some HD ones. I think I got grandfathered in as I'm not suppose to be getting ESPN.
post #40 of 59 Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll ante up as a new u-verse user. Comcast became much too expensive. Pros & cons ensue.
post #41 of 59 Old 02-10-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Welcome to the group Diver. We'd love to hear about pros and cons.

Bobby 

post #42 of 59 Old 09-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just got the new Total Home DVR feature which works great and was no extra charge. I love the quick channel changes, reminds me of how quick analog cable was.
Guide and On-Screen Display is almost exactly like Windows Media Center.
PIP browsing is great. HD Quality is great even when compressed to Mpeg4. All local channels in HD. Internet speed (6mbps) is all I ever need and I do download High Def clips. Anything else is overkill. Also no contracts or promo prices to worry about.
post #43 of 59 Old 09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are they still limited to one HD channel per household at a time?

The DVR can't record two HD programs at a time?

Or have 2 DVRs in a home record up to 4 HD channels simultaneously?
post #44 of 59 Old 09-18-2008, 05:01 PM

No things have changed since the initial release of Uverse. You get 2HD and 2SD streams per household. With the new Total Home DVR you get 5 HD streams. 2 Live HD streams to view or record plus 3 "recorded HD streams" to non DVR boxes.

You can only order one DVR with Uverse. With THDVR, you don't really need another DVR box. Also Total Home DVR is only on it's first phase, you can only view recordings on connected non dvr stbs. Second update will allow non dvr boxes to manage recordings. Third update will allow trick play (pause, rewind live tv). Not sure when those updates will be released.
post #45 of 59 Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM

Switched from Comcast today. The installation went smoothly except the tech had to go back and get an updated dvr. So far I am impressed. The hd picture quality is good and I am getting over 9 mbs on the internet side. the tech used all my existing comcast coax and the cat 5 cables that I had run myself for the home network. Funny thing about the install is that the tech never had to go up to the utility wires to switch or hook anything up.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good bye Comcast!
post #46 of 59 Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 AM

Congrats!!!

I just heard that Comcast Sports Bay Area HD is coming soon along with a bunch of New HD channels like ESPNews HD and FX HD by November.
post #47 of 59 Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Comcast sports is here but not the hidef feed. My son is a huge sharks fan so any coverage is better than none!
post #48 of 59 Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 AM

I had an AT&T sales rep come to my house last week selling U-Verse. Apparently my neighborhood(south Milpitas) had recently come online. I'm currently subscribing to Comcast's triple play package but am interested in AT&T's offerings.

I'm mainly curious in the HD channel line-up that U-Verse has. Is there a complete list of HD channels that I can look at? Is the quality comparable to Comcast?

It would be really nice to get away from Comcast....I'm tired of being in a contract and the terrible customer service.
post #49 of 59 Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 PM

You can go to Uverse's website @ att.com and see the current line up. But beginning in November there will be a huge push of new HD and SD channels. Unfortunately they will be moving some the HD channels to the premium tier (U400).

As far as the HD Quality goes.....It's acceptable being that Uverse does compress HD to fit through the bottlenecks of copper. I'm sure quality will get better overtime as they are always imporving. Remember they are only 2 years old and still in their infancy. I notice the compression artifacts more on cheap LCD TVs. Hardly noticeable on name brand TVs. Anyway I'd take it to save some money and no contracts.
post #50 of 59 Old 10-25-2008, 05:57 PM

After using the U-verse service for two weeks I can say that I am mostly satisfied. I am receiving more live HD programming than with Comcast but am missing the HD on demand content. The HD quality is definitely not as good as Comcasts and is well documented in this thread https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=700011.
That being said I have to say I was delighted to give Comcast the boot and will live with small picture quality issues as Uverse develops.
post #51 of 59 Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Has anyone seen info on deployment plans near San Jose, Santa Clara, etc.?
post #52 of 59 Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 PM

I just got ATT Uverse installed and finally got rid of my crappy Comcast service. But now, I can't stop noticing that the picture quality of my HD is worse than Comcast.

Are they ever going to fix that?
post #53 of 59 Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
paintime,
what part of the bay area are you in? PQ is my main concern in switching to u-verse which finally is available in my area (Livermore). I won't change if the PQ is worse, regardless of the other pros of u-verse over comcast.

Best,
jeff
post #54 of 59 Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
we've been uverse subs down here in santa teresa for a little over a year

we have 2 hdtvs and are recieve the u450 package so we get all channels

samsung 32" LCD, the PQ is almost as good as OTA hd, barely any difference.

on the panasonic 42" plasma, the PQ for hd channels isnt unwatchable by any means, however it is noticably worse than OTA hd, and it really isnt even as good as the PQ we had with comcast

from reading the uverse forum (utalk.att.com) it seems like most of the complaining of poor PQ comes from the folks with the really big screens, 60" and bigger.
post #55 of 59 Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had an AT&T rep come by my house yesterday & drop off a brochure. Anyone else have Uverse in Santa Rosa? How's the quality? Hopefully improved from what I've read on this very short thread. I currently have Comcast.

post #56 of 59 Old 09-17-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm canceling my UVerse HD service. Watching football on a 63" plasma hurts my eyes, the aliasing and artifacts are just horrible. Never saw this with Comcast.

Michael
Santa Clara, CA
post #57 of 59 Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 983
This thread doesn't seem to be very popular, but since Uverse just became available where I live (South bay), I wanted to ask what profile do most people get - 2HD or 3HD ? I'm very concerned about the lower PQ, it seems to be a universal complaint.
post #58 of 59 Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yikes this thread is dead. My family is pressure me to switch to u-verse from comcast for several reasons. first our current comcast setup:
* 4 HDTV's in the house in separate rooms
* 2 HD DVR's, one HD STB and one HD DTA.

* we also stream netflix (2 device package) and play lag sensitive online games (xbox and ps3).

The primary issue is that we (my wife and daughter) regularly "lock-up" the primary and secondary tv's with 2 recordings so you can't watch something else. they record duplicate stuff sometimes since they don't know whether they'll be in the primary or secondary room. they are also checking the scheduled recordings to try and head off "lock-up's" when they know where they are and what they're going to watch.

A second issue is money. We pay about $140/month for comcast cable service (and have no premium channels), $40/month for u-verse internet and $45 for att land line. going with u-verse, bundling phone, internet and video, we can get it all for about $160 plus a couple of teaser premiums.

My concerns are PQ, limited bandwidth and our distance from the node. I know that to get 18mps downloads currently from u-verse internet, we have to use both lines. we're not close to the node. From my reading I see lots of PQ complaints, hence the deadness of this thread.

From my reading, the number of HD streams we'll be able to get at the main receiver/DVR will be a function mainly of the distance to the node. If we can't get at least the same number of streams we have now with comcast, then it's not worth it to go to u-verse. the current max with comcast is 4 streams watching plus 2 recording. Or 2 watching plus 4 recording plus 2 watching pre-recorded material.

Also if you throw in gaming or netflix streaming, I think we'll be bandwidth limited.

But I'd love to hear others experiences, assuming there are folks here at avs that actually use u-verse.

Best,
jeff
post #59 of 59 Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update my own post...

Uverse only promises 4 streams, at most 2 can be hd, they guarentee 1 hd. I'm not switching , period.

I note that in Austin tx. They have giga power By att. They guarentee 6 hd streams. I want that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page