24Likes

post #8731 of 8738 Old 04-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick313 View Post
I understand that, but having KQCK simulcast for both KQCK and KQDK seems completely unecessary since the programming is identical and will presumably reach the same audience.

Do you receive both KQCK (V33) and KQDK-CD (V39) OTA on separate channels in Lone Tree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8738 Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE AVS View Post
Do you receive both KQCK (V33) and KQDK-CD (V39) OTA on separate channels in Lone Tree?
KQDK used to transmit on RF 39, but that changed a week or so ago, now I receive them both on RF 11.
post #8733 of 8738 Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
KQDK used to transmit on RF 39, but that changed a week or so ago, now I receive them both on RF 11.
According to the most recent FCC CBDS online information, KQDK-CD was granted Channel 16 (RF16) on 01/31/2018 which is the last activity on the FCC Website. No where can I find that KQDK-CD was or should be on RF11. I checked the Colorado Springs FCC data for the CTN station there and found no obvious explanation (KWHS was granted displacement to RF10 on 10/17/2018). It has been my experience that the FCC keeps their Web site data updated in a timely manner. Also, I am surprised you are receiving KQCK OTA in Lone Tree. Are you located up high on a ridge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8734 of 8738 Old 04-16-2019, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure about the topology, but there is a ridge just south of Lone Tree, so it's possible that the whole area is slighly elevated. I can't say that I receive KQCK well. The signal is very marginal but enough for my TV to decode and produce a very pixelated image and choppy audio. My reception of KQDK (virtual 39) used to be much better, but now it is the same as KQCK (virtual 33) and my TV shows both coming from RF 11. I assume that this is a temporary situation. I just thought I would mention it since it seemed odd.
post #8735 of 8738 Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
With the Phase 2 repack, a number of stations were forced into lower power, and a number of them were redirected more to serve Denver south.

KQCK RF11 comes from a transmitter on Horsetooth Mountain, west of Fort Collins. It is technically a Cheyenne TV station. It is also only 16kW VHF. I cannot receive it in Longmont, because its signal gets blocked by the foothills, in someway. I am surprised you can receive it, in any form, it almost 70 miles from its source

As for KQDK-CD, this one is an oddity. As there are two RF16s, now in operation. KBRO-LD (transmitter in Lyons) and KQDK (transmitter in Aurora). KBRO is 1.4 kW; KQDK is 2 kW. Neither will go far. Thought teh contour map has KQDK reaching as far north as Boulder and as far south as just north of Castle Rock. KBRO just covers Boulder, Longmont and Berthoud.

KPRJ and KPXC moved to a new tower, while KDEN stayer where it was. All are in Fredrick. KPRJ is now 660 kW and KPXC is 330 Kw. The signals were directed more southward towards Denver. They come in marginal here, in southwest Logmont.

The old RF16, RF26, Rf38 (now RF14, RF30), RF26 may or may not go to RF10, all redirected their signal south. The can no longer be received north of Baseline Road; or so. As KMGH 9RF7) was marginal here, losing RZCO (now RF30 with the old Rf28), makes ABC reception here marginal.

KDEO-LD which was borderline reception here, also redirected its signal south and reduced its power moving from RF46 b- Rf21.

In affect northern Colorado's losses were south Denver's gain.

There were two improvements with these changes. KSBS (which simulcasts KDCO) reception is much better. The same goes for KRMT (simulcast on RF20 with KDNF).

Thee remaining full power moves KDVR, KCEC and KETD will move a year from now.
KETD never reached this far north. KCEC will reduce power from 1000 kW to 660 kW., when it moves to RF32. KDVR will remain at 1000kW, when it moves to Rf36. KETD will increase power from 100kw to 200kw when it moves from RF45 to Rf15.

One last thing , some low power stations are suppose to move to RF3, Rf4, and RF10.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the topology, but there is a ridge just south of Lone Tree, so it's possible that the whole area is slighly elevated. I can't say that I receive KQCK well. The signal is very marginal but enough for my TV to decode and produce a very pixelated image and choppy audio. My reception of KQDK (virtual 39) used to be much better, but now it is the same as KQCK (virtual 33) and my TV shows both coming from RF 11. I assume that this is a temporary situation. I just thought I would mention it since it seemed odd.
post #8736 of 8738 Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
With the Phase 2 repack, a number of stations were forced into lower power, and a number of them were redirected more to serve Denver south.

KQCK RF11 comes from a transmitter on Horsetooth Mountain, west of Fort Collins. It is technically a Cheyenne TV station. It is also only 16kW VHF. I cannot receive it in Longmont, because its signal gets blocked by the foothills, in someway. I am surprised you can receive it, in any form, it almost 70 miles from its source

As for KQDK-CD, this one is an oddity. As there are two RF16s, now in operation. KBRO-LD (transmitter in Lyons) and KQDK (transmitter in Aurora). KBRO is 1.4 kW; KQDK is 2 kW. Neither will go far. Thought teh contour map has KQDK reaching as far north as Boulder and as far south as just north of Castle Rock. KBRO just covers Boulder, Longmont and Berthoud.

KPRJ and KPXC moved to a new tower, while KDEN stayer where it was. All are in Fredrick. KPRJ is now 660 kW and KPXC is 330 Kw. The signals were directed more southward towards Denver. They come in marginal here, in southwest Logmont.

The old RF16, RF26, Rf38 (now RF14, RF30), RF26 may or may not go to RF10, all redirected their signal south. The can no longer be received north of Baseline Road; or so. As KMGH 9RF7) was marginal here, losing RZCO (now RF30 with the old Rf28), makes ABC reception here marginal.

KDEO-LD which was borderline reception here, also redirected its signal south and reduced its power moving from RF46 b- Rf21.

In affect northern Colorado's losses were south Denver's gain.

There were two improvements with these changes. KSBS (which simulcasts KDCO) reception is much better. The same goes for KRMT (simulcast on RF20 with KDNF).

Thee remaining full power moves KDVR, KCEC and KETD will move a year from now.
KETD never reached this far north. KCEC will reduce power from 1000 kW to 660 kW., when it moves to RF32. KDVR will remain at 1000kW, when it moves to Rf36. KETD will increase power from 100kw to 200kw when it moves from RF45 to Rf15.

One last thing , some low power stations are suppose to move to RF3, Rf4, and RF10.

According to the FCC database, KPJR is still on the same tower at the same coordinates. Both KPJR and KPXC are at the same tower farm. They were both on the north tower. KPXC is now on the south tower. The two towers are just over 1,000 feet apart. So for practical purposes, KPXC is still at the same site. As to the ERP levels, the signal strength at any distance is stronger at lower frequencies for a given power input into the antenna. Thus, even with the power reductions, the 41 dBu Service Contours for practical purposes are again like the tower locations, still roughly the same for both stations.

The FCC database does show KETD has filed to increase their power level. However, it presently operates with 100 kW horizontal polarization only while the new ERP power will be 200 kW horizontal > vertical, i.e., a uneven power split between horizontal and vertical polarizations.

Needless to say there are many factors in play in the spectrum repack than a first glance may seem to indicate.

Last edited by GE AVS; 04-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #8737 of 8738 Old 04-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The reduction in power, plush the addition of the tower, has affected the reception of both channels. By adding a second indoor antenna, couple with a second Tablo, about 40 feet from the other Tablo/antenna, I can receive both channels at full strength.

\
I use this as an antenna:

ClearStream Eclipse Amplified TV Antenna 20db inline Amplifier. It has a range of 50 miles, for both Tablos. Both antennas are three stories up.

So, my guess, is that line of sight changed, with the addition of the second tower., coupled with reduction in power.

The repack lowered strength of some stations, and redirected other away from Longmont. I used to receive over 70 main and sub channels, now I receive 56. And, I need two Tablos and two antennas to do it, where before I only needed one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE AVS View Post
According to the FCC database, KPJR is still on the same tower at the same coordinates. Both KPJR and KPXC are at the same tower farm. They were both on the north tower. KPXC is now on the south tower. The two towers are just over 1,000 feet apart. So for practical purposes, KPXC is still at the same site. As to the ERP levels, the signal strength at any distance is stronger at lower frequencies for a given power input into the antenna. Thus, even with the power reductions, the 41 dBu Service Contours for practical purposes are again like the tower locations, still roughly the same for both stations.

The FCC database does show KETD has filed to increase their power level. However, it presently operates with 100 kW horizontal polarization only while the new ERP power will be 200 kW horizontal > vertical, i.e., a uneven power split between horizontal and vertical polarizations.

Needless to say there are many factors in play in the spectrum repack than a first glance may seem to

indicate.
post #8738 of 8738 Old 04-17-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
The reduction in power, plush the addition of the tower, has affected the reception of both channels. By adding a second indoor antenna, couple with a second Tablo, about 40 feet from the other Tablo/antenna, I can receive both channels at full strength.

\
I use this as an antenna:

ClearStream Eclipse Amplified TV Antenna 20db inline Amplifier. It has a range of 50 miles, for both Tablos. Both antennas are three stories up.

So, my guess, is that line of sight changed, with the addition of the second tower., coupled with reduction in power.

The repack lowered strength of some stations, and redirected other away from Longmont. I used to receive over 70 main and sub channels, now I receive 56. And, I need two Tablos and two antennas to do it, where before I only needed one.

Also multipath interference may be a significant factor too as close as many of us are to the foothills and mountains much less any significant structures. I have some stations that exhibit cancellation of the signal due to varying multipath interference, i.e., signal level goes high then low oscillating back and forth or just stays low, signal to noise level drops to below 16 dB or lower, data errors go way up, and the decoding process never has a chance to lock or will not stay locked. It just depends on atmospheric conditions and/or time of day and/or season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page