Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #8791 of 8813 Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
See this: https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....=&cir=&circen=

Unless you live west of I25 and south of Northwest Parkway, you cannot receive RF5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHawkman View Post
Anybody had any luck getting low VHF ch 5? Looks like it is a Sedalia tower but only 1.5kw strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8792 of 8813 Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
FWIW

CBS, Martha Stewart, & Emeril Lagasse Are launching a New OTA TV Network in 20 Markets Next Week

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/cbs-...ets-next-week/

DABL (Ch 4.3 in Denver) is now playing "The Essence of Emeril" so the channel appears to be showing its normal broadcasts.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #8793 of 8813 Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KTVD CH20 Flaky

Quote:
The rescan of "CH9" was because they said they would be powering down the KTVD CH20 (RF19) transmitter to 50% power for some maintenance which carries a UHF signal of KUSA-9.1 on 9.4 (as a subchannel of CH20). With that said, I've not experienced any difficulty in getting KTVD in the past two weeks since they put up the message.
Do you know if the transmitter power has returned to 100%? Was trying to watch the Bronco game on KTVD CH20 and it was pixelating like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8794 of 8813 Old 09-12-2019, 03:24 PM

According to the FCC it is at 960 Kw (40 Kw less than before the repack).

This is its coverage map: https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....=&cir=&circen=

As you were not clear on location, or what kind of antenna you have, it hard to say.

Though, if you live between Ft. Collins and Castle Rock, eats of the foothills, until about Bennett, you should not have issues getting KTVD.

As KTVD also is transmitted on low powered stations (15 Kw or less), you may want to check if you are receiving it on RF31.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclesand View Post
Do you know if the transmitter power has returned to 100%? Was trying to watch the Bronco game on KTVD CH20 and it was pixelating like crazy.
post #8795 of 8813 Old 09-24-2019, 12:37 PM

The latest on the KZDN/KLDE saga.

According to the FCC, KLDE's license was cancelled: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/da...6d446382a60204

This probably means will soon be able to redirect its signal further to the north to reach up to Berthoud, using RF14 exclusively.
post #8796 of 8813 Old 10-26-2019, 01:20 PM

This TV has a home on KSBS 10.2 (channel shared with KCD0 (Digital 3.x). KWGN 2.2 will become Court TV, before the end of the year.

Also, KZDN (RF14) has a construction permit to redirect their antenna further north, In he coming days, KZDN will probably announce a maintenance and a re-scan.
post #8797 of 8813 Old 10-26-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmetro1 View Post
This TV has a home on KSBS 10.2 (channel shared with KCD0 (Digital 3.x). KWGN 2.2 will become Court TV, before the end of the year.

Also, KZDN (RF14) has a construction permit to redirect their antenna further north, In he coming days, KZDN will probably announce a maintenance and a re-scan.
Great info, thanks! I still think that ThisTV is one of the better OTA subchannels.

Will this (RF14 redirect) affect the southern suburbs? I looked at their transmission map and it seems to head towards Conifer almost. Assuming the signal will stay at a 180 degree splay (and hug the foothills more so), right?
post #8798 of 8813 Old 10-26-2019, 08:43 PM

This is the new alignment fro RF14:

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....9d11112&site=1

This is the old alignment, fro comparison.

https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....bd60c27&site=1

Effectively, it will be directed to include Boulder County, southeast Weld County, and southern Larimer County.

I suspect if you live south of Castle Rock, you may lose the signal.

Quote:
Great info, thanks! I still think that ThisTV is one of the better OTA subchannels.

Will this (RF14 redirect) affect the southern suburbs? I looked at their transmission map and it seems to head towards Conifer almost. Assuming the signal will stay at a 180 degree splay (and hug the foothills more so), right?
post #8799 of 8813 Old 10-28-2019, 05:23 PM

Officially, 2.2 is now CourtTV. ThisTV is now on 10.2. Time to rescan.
post #8800 of 8813 Old 11-02-2019, 06:23 AM

KDEN Subchannel - LX

Saw that KDEN is going to add a 4th channel to their frequency. The NBC LX network on 25.4. Apparently it's local content targeted at millennials. Not a lot of info on a launch date that I can find.
post #8801 of 8813 Old 11-02-2019, 10:46 AM

According to this April, 2020 is the launch date of LX.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...nch-lx-network

Quote:
Saw that KDEN is going to add a 4th channel to their frequency. The NBC LX network on 25.4. Apparently it's local content targeted at millennials. Not a lot of info on a launch date that I can find.
post #8802 of 8813 Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Anyone receiving KZDN (RF14), could you please post when it finally announces to do a rescan or they are redirecting its signal? They now have an active construction permit to rediect more to the north and west, from the current configuration. I suspect they will provide some kind of crawl that they will be off the air fro a short period of time to make the switch; like they did last December.
post #8803 of 8813 Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ns-1203344302/
post #8804 of 8813 Old 11-07-2019, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Comcast dropped quality of KRMA

Hi folks,

I moved to Loveland, and have a concrete roof that makes my old OTA antenna a non-starter. I may put something in the attic, we'll see - wiring is not there now.

In the meantime, I got Comcast's locals package and paid the HD fee, and got a CableCard for my Tivo. Not bad - not excited that they reformat all channels to 720p, but it works.

Until a couple of weeks ago, that is. KRMA, the main PBS outlet, is now really crap. My Tivo is showing a typical show at 4.23 Mbps - compared to 12.5-13 Mbps before.

I plan to call in a complaint to Comcast and let KRMA know as well. Is there anything else I should do?

I know this isn't exactly the right forum for this (recs welcome), but it could gove the OTA crowd some energy to note that nobody does this to them.

Take care,

Rob T

Rob T
post #8805 of 8813 Old 11-08-2019, 02:50 PM

I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it in a master bedroom closet facing south towards Denver. It si about 30' up.

I have this hooked into a Tablo, which can sand signals over Ethernet or wireless to an app on a Roku or your TV. It has a DVR. There is a two tuner an 4 tuner version.

As for KRMA, and ther Denver area staions,take a look here:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=25

Click on a staion, then "Technical Data".

KRMA sends out signals on different RF frequencies RF33 and RF19. It also sends out signals on translators. I receive KRMA on RF33, in Longmont. You should be able to receive it on RF33 in Loveland. But, you need to have an antenna as high in your place as possible, pointing SSW.

In Loveland, there is a repeater that operates on RF19, and in Boulder there is one on RF24. All three may eb able to be received in Loveland, but you really want either RF33 or RF19. Rf24 will be horrible in reception up there.

Also, you should easily receive any 1000Kw station, from Lookout Mountain and Frederick. The low power stations may prove difficult north of Boulder County.

The bottom line, you may be receiving a KRMA translator instead of the full power KRMA.

As you did not specify where you are in Loveland. You need good line of sight and an antenna that is has high as possible. Ideally 30' or more off the ground. You also need a powerful antenna. The link above, is meant for outdoors, but works fine indoors. It was trial and error for me until I found this one worked well. It has a really good amplifier. The best I have seen; it is not one of the cheap in line ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthurlow View Post
Hi folks,

I moved to Loveland, and have a concrete roof that makes my old OTA antenna a non-starter. I may put something in the attic, we'll see - wiring is not there now.

In the meantime, I got Comcast's locals package and paid the HD fee, and got a CableCard for my Tivo. Not bad - not excited that they reformat all channels to 720p, but it works.

Until a couple of weeks ago, that is. KRMA, the main PBS outlet, is now really crap. My Tivo is showing a typical show at 4.23 Mbps - compared to 12.5-13 Mbps before.

I plan to call in a complaint to Comcast and let KRMA know as well. Is there anything else I should do?

I know this isn't exactly the right forum for this (recs welcome), but it could gove the OTA crowd some energy to note that nobody does this to them.

Take care,

Rob T

Last edited by nmetro1; 11-08-2019 at 02:54 PM.
post #8806 of 8813 Old 11-08-2019, 03:34 PM

Thanks nmetro1,

I used an older Channel Master CM-4228 with a Channel Master 7778 preamp from my chimney in Fort Collins for years, getting the Lookout Mountain and Squaw Mountain signals like a boss. tvfool.com says I could do better here (SW Loveland, Mariana Butte area near Foothills and Rossum), closer to line of sight - but I *cannot* put anything on the concrete roof, and there are not a lot of other outside mounting spots for an antenna (and nothing at *all* for something the CM-4228, sadly). If I had a cable running down from the attic, I'd have something up there already, feeding into my Tivo. Some day. The house is newer, and wife acceptance factor is much more significant than the magic of OTA. If Comcast doesn't break my heart, my first priority is getting an FM antenna hooked up in the attic. I have thought about putting a small UHF Yagi at the peak of the roof and tapping into some former Dish Network wiring that's not too far away, but I have not measured WAF on that yet, nor have I been willing to get the ladder up there.

Rob T

Rob T
post #8807 of 8813 Old 11-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Living in a townhouse helps me get above Table Mesa, to get signals from Lookout Mountain. The antenna, I mentioned earlier, pulls in digital 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12 (RF22 from Boulder), 20, 25, 31, 38, 41, 44, 50 and 59. When we had bad weather last week, I did get 53. I am waiting for KZDN to redirect its signal to receive digital 16 and 26.

I lucked out by having a master bedroom closet that is on an outside wall and faces south. My HOA prohibits outside antennas, except satellite dishes.

Live at the edge of southwest Longmont, at about 5100 feet. The antenna is high enough to get above Gunbarrel Ridge which separates the Boulder Valley from the St. Vrain valley.

One thing to note, some tuners will not duplicate digital channels. The Tablo does. I used to get KMGH on RF 7 and RF17, before the repack. DISH's OTa Tuner would only receive RF7, and would ignore RF17, even though RF17 was stronger. You may be having the same situation with KRMA. You are receiving the weaker RF24 signal, and not the stronger RF33 signal, because RF24 was scanned first. And, you no longer can receive KRMA on RF19.

In my case, I cannot receive any signals from the north, unless I place an antenna in the north side of my house. You may be running into something similar. RF24 and RF33 are really fringe signals for KRMA.

You may want to look into the antenna I linked earlier. I tried several flat antennas, and this one was the only one that just worked perfectly by laying it on closet shelf and pointed it south. It actually is being held in place by a couple pillows on top of it, as it really does not lie flat. It is meant to be mounted. But, it works for my purposes. As I mentioned, it has serious in line power. It is a well built unit with a grounded plug.

Quote:
Thanks nmetro1,

I used an older Channel Master CM-4228 with a Channel Master 7778 preamp from my chimney in Fort Collins for years, getting the Lookout Mountain and Squaw Mountain signals like a boss. tvfool.com says I could do better here (SW Loveland, Mariana Butte area near Foothills and Rossum), closer to line of sight - but I *cannot* put anything on the concrete roof, and there are not a lot of other outside mounting spots for an antenna (and nothing at *all* for something the CM-4228, sadly). If I had a cable running down from the attic, I'd have something up there already, feeding into my Tivo. Some day. The house is newer, and wife acceptance factor is much more significant than the magic of OTA. If Comcast doesn't break my heart, my first priority is getting an FM antenna hooked up in the attic. I have thought about putting a small UHF Yagi at the peak of the roof and tapping into some former Dish Network wiring that's not too far away, but I have not measured WAF on that yet, nor have I been willing to get the ladder up there.

Rob T
post #8808 of 8813 Old 11-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Incorrect Information

Quote:
I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it in a master bedroom closet facing south towards Denver. It si about 30' up.

I have this hooked into a Tablo, which can sand signals over Ethernet or wireless to an app on a Roku or your TV. It has a DVR. There is a two tuner an 4 tuner version.

As for KRMA, and ther Denver area staions,take a look here:

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=25

Click on a staion, then "Technical Data".

KRMA sends out signals on different RF frequencies RF33 and RF19. It also sends out signals on translators. I receive KRMA on RF33, in Longmont. You should be able to receive it on RF33 in Loveland. But, you need to have an antenna as high in your place as possible, pointing SSW.

In Loveland, there is a repeater that operates on RF19, and in Boulder there is one on RF24. All three may eb able to be received in Loveland, but you really want either RF33 or RF19. Rf24 will be horrible in reception up there.

Also, you should easily receive any 1000Kw station, from Lookout Mountain and Frederick. The low power stations may prove difficult north of Boulder County.

The bottom line, you may be receiving a KRMA translator instead of the full power KRMA.

As you did not specify where you are in Loveland. You need good line of sight and an antenna that is has high as possible. Ideally 30' or more off the ground. You also need a powerful antenna. The link above, is meant for outdoors, but works fine indoors. It was trial and error for me until I found this one worked well. It has a really good amplifier. The best I have seen; it is not one of the cheap in line ones.

KRMA does not have a "repeater" (correct term is "Translator") in Loveland. The KRMA (actually it is licensed as KRMA-TV) "Digital Replacement Translator Broadcast Station License" for Channel 19 is for the actual service area of Ft. Collins. The translator is on Horsetooth Mountain west of Ft. Collins. Loveland is within the 51dBu Service Contour of its directional signal to the east southeast. The ERP is 10kW.
post #8809 of 8813 Old 11-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
The antenna, I mentioned earlier, pulls in digital 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12 (RF22 from Boulder), 20, 25, 31, 38, 41, 44, 50 and 59. When we had bad weather last week, I did get 53. I am waiting for KZDN to redirect its signal to receive digital 16 and 26.

I rough-positioned my CM-4228 in the attic this morning, and ran a cable down into the garage to an ATSC set-top box and a little 9" TV I have kicking around. I was happy to get the following channels: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 20, 25, 31, 38, 50 and 59. Not bad, and I think I know how and where I would mount the antenna. I did not connect the pre-amp, which has certainly helped me in the past. The little TV also has an FM tuner, and it was getting most of the non-commercial stations I wanted down at the low end of the dial. So it's worth running the cable to my home-run panel and sending it to my office for FM, at least. Getting good, clean KCDO 3 and a couple of others makes me unwilling right now to drop Comcast's locals.

Quote:
My HOA prohibits outside antennas, except satellite dishes.

You know they can't legally do this, right? If you want OTA and need an outside antenna to get what you want, they can't deny you. Google "FCC OTARD" for more. My barriers are my unique roof and my wife, not my HOA :-) I was in an HOA up in FoCo, too.

Quote:
One thing to note, some tuners will not duplicate digital channels. The Tablo does. I used to get KMGH on RF 7 and RF17, before the repack. DISH's OTa Tuner would only receive RF7, and would ignore RF17, even though RF17 was stronger. You may be having the same situation with KRMA. You are receiving the weaker RF24 signal, and not the stronger RF33 signal, because RF24 was scanned first. And, you no longer can receive KRMA on RF19.
OTA, I got just a whiff on 19, as the box would stop and try awhile, but I didn't notice any signal whatsoever on 24, and am certainly getting a good read on RF 33. The beauty of the CM-4228 is usable signals on RF 7 and 9.

Rob T

Rob T
post #8810 of 8813 Old 11-09-2019, 06:20 PM

I ran to my local Walmart this morning and grabbed one of those ClearStream Max 2 antennas for $19 (they are clearing them out for their ONN brand antennas if you can find them). With the ClearStream Max 2 mounted outdoors and facing due west I was finally able to get the K05MD-D Channel 5 signal which carries 5.1 SonLife and 5.2 Azteca America. It also appears to still carry constant infomercials on 5.3 and 5.4. I was a bit surprised since it's only a 1.5kw signal but I guess it is 1000' higher than my current elevation in central Castle Rock. I feel like not a lot of people can get this channel, or can they?

I've got Spanish speaking family and the Denver OTA Spanish lineup of Telemundo, Univision, Unimas, Estrella and Azteca is a nice lineup.

On another note, I too have that Televes antenna that was linked earlier. It is superb in locking in on signals (I'm getting Telemundo 25, TBN 38 and occasionally KXPC 59 (tropo signal though). I've been impressed with that unit, when put in the correct location.
post #8811 of 8813 Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 PM

post #8812 of 8813 Old 11-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Telemundo 25 - Upgrade - Nov 10th

I just saw an onscreen announcement that KDEN (Telemundo 25) is doing some work on their tower/transmitter tomorrow (November 10th). Signal might be up and down. If you didn't know, Telemundo is a great OTA option for the Sunday English Premier League games...and tomorrow is a big one (Liverpool v Man City). Here's to hoping the signal doesn't drop off from 9:30 to 11:30am. Lol.
post #8813 of 8813 Old 11-12-2019, 10:03 AM

I'm glad that you were able to improve on your signals.

When I posted, I left out a couple channels I can receive in southwest Longmont. The corrected list is: Digital 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 20, 25, 31, 38, 41, 44, 50 and 59. When there is heavy fog, or snow, 53, comes in barely. Combined that is 57 - 58 main and sub channels. When, and if, KZDN redirect its signal, this will add digital 16 and 26 to this list.

So, considering you are further north, than I am, you have an impressive amount of channels.

Quote:
I rough-positioned my CM-4228 in the attic this morning, and ran a cable down into the garage to an ATSC set-top box and a little 9" TV I have kicking around. I was happy to get the following channels: 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 20, 25, 31, 38, 50 and 59. Not bad, and I think I know how and where I would mount the antenna. I did not connect the pre-amp, which has certainly helped me in the past. The little TV also has an FM tuner, and it was getting most of the non-commercial stations I wanted down at the low end of the dial. So it's worth running the cable to my home-run panel and sending it to my office for FM, at least. Getting good, clean KCDO 3 and a couple of others makes me unwilling right now to drop Comcast's locals.

You know they can't legally do this, right? If you want OTA and need an outside antenna to get what you want, they can't deny you. Google "FCC OTARD" for more. My barriers are my unique roof and my wife, not my HOA :-) I was in an HOA up in FoCo, too.

OTA, I got just a whiff on 19, as the box would stop and try awhile, but I didn't notice any signal whatsoever on 24, and am certainly getting a good read on RF 33. The beauty of the CM-4228 is usable signals on RF 7 and 9.

Rob T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page