Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 490 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #14671 of 14937 Old 03-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfs View Post
Do tell more. What makes it so impressive??
If I am reading my search result correctly, it's a 221m mast located in plain sight near the beltway... No, that's the total elevation. I am unclear on what"site elevation" means. Have a look here: http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=1317626

Last edited by TheKrell; 03-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14672 of 14937 Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
If I am reading my search result correctly, it's a 221m mast located in plain sight near the beltway... No, that's the total elevation. I am unclear on what"site elevation" means. Have a look here: http://www.fccinfo.com/CMDProEngine....Number=1317626
The number you want is "R/C AGL" reflecting Radiation Center Above Ground Level. That's 200.5 meters. But WNVC is not the only station on that tower. Also found on it are WMAL-FM (105.9) and WJFK-FM (106.7). AT&T and Sprint also have antennas on that tower for cell service.

- Trip
TheKrell likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14673 of 14937 Old 03-12-2018, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
If I am reading my search result correctly, it's a 221m mast located in plain sight near the beltway...

See http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrS...?regKey=120169

It's 188 meters of tower AGL, and 22 meters of antenna atop it.

The other transmitter is in Manassas, I think.
TheKrell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14674 of 14937 Old 03-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The number you want is "R/C AGL" reflecting Radiation Center Above Ground Level. That's 200.5 meters. But WNVC is not the only station on that tower. Also found on it are WMAL-FM (105.9) and WJFK-FM (106.7). AT&T and Sprint also have antennas on that tower for cell service.

- Trip
Would you know of a public source for who occupies a tower? The broadcast stations are in the FCC's ULS, as are any STL links, but I've not found any way of identifying cellcos besides visiting and reading the markings on the electric meter, etc.

(BTW, the FCCInfo plugin to Google Earth is excellent; check it out.)
post #14675 of 14937 Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Would you know of a public source for who occupies a tower? The broadcast stations are in the FCC's ULS, as are any STL links, but I've not found any way of identifying cellcos besides visiting and reading the markings on the electric meter, etc.
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fido/p...gmtype=address

Fairfax County building permits are great for that. To use it, enter 8101 and Lee in the address parts, then make sure you change the "From" year to 2011 or so. Two antenna permits in that time frame, both for AT&T. The Clearwire equipment (now owned by Sprint) has been up there for a while.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14676 of 14937 Old 03-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is that enough business to support a 200m tower?
post #14677 of 14937 Old 03-13-2018, 01:25 PM

I don't see why not.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14678 of 14937 Old 03-13-2018, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
The other transmitter is in Manassas, I think.
The other transmitter, that of WNVT (RF: 30 and Virtual: 30.7 through 30.12 PSIP), is located in Goldvein, VA, about 20 miles SSW of WNVC.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map-...031230AAR&.map
post #14679 of 14937 Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Attention NBC Sports Washington and/or Verizon Fios, your on screen info for the Wizards game is incorrect. The Wizards actually beat the Timberwolves 92-89 on Nov 28th so they are actually trying to end the trend of alternating wins since 2009.
post #14680 of 14937 Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't see why not.
Land valuation?
post #14681 of 14937 Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 PM

FM stations still have value above and beyond the value of the land under the tower, unlike the AM towers you frequently hear about.

The FM stations probably can't move any closer to DC because they're "grandfathered short-spaced" stations with respect to WJZ-FM and WWMX in Baltimore and probably also WWEG in Myersville. Any move to another tower would likely require shrinking their coverage areas.

- Trip
TheKrell likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14682 of 14937 Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM

To dredge up an old topic...

When D-Day hit, many a VHF station discovered their coverage had fallen through the floor, with complaints everywhere about bad reception. WUSA and WJLA were two of many.

There were frantic STA's to raise power levels, scrambling to find UHF frequencies, and much hand-wringing. I seem to recall Cavell Mertz got a contract to study the issue.

So when the dust settled, I wonder what the outcome was; both why the predictions failed and what to do about it....
TheKrell likes this.
post #14683 of 14937 Old 03-15-2018, 02:38 AM

Well, for WJLA/WUSA, the outcome was that they added some vertical power and got boosts to 52 kW, above the 30 kW limit.

As to what happened, wishful thinking and failure to understand how viewers watch TV happened. People with outdoor antennas generally did okay; the problems were generally with indoor antennas which had the double-whammy of poor VHF performance plus noise from noisy electronics. I predicted it would be a problem, but as a college student at the time, nobody listened to me.

In 2008 or so, a friend of mine on here on AVS bought a bunch of 10 dB attenuators and inserted them one by one, comparing the DTV reception to the analog. When the analog got to a certain point, the digital signals were all gone, and he said, "well, nobody watches signals like this." My response was something to the effect of "you call it unwatchable; I call it UPN." That was based on reception at my parents' house and how I had watched Star Trek on UPN for many years. And I knew plenty of other people who watched signals that looked just like it, both on VHF and UHF. We agreed there were going to be substantial problems.

The solution, generally, was more power. Some stations moved to UHF, where they could.

- Trip
CHeath and TheKrell like this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14684 of 14937 Old 03-15-2018, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
FM stations still have value above and beyond the value of the land under the tower, unlike the AM towers you frequently hear about.

The FM stations probably can't move any closer to DC because they're "grandfathered short-spaced" stations with respect to WJZ-FM and WWMX in Baltimore and probably also WWEG in Myersville. Any move to another tower would likely require shrinking their coverage areas.

- Trip
I never understood why they allowed a radio station on 107.3 in Richmond when they already had 107.3 in DC with a strong signal that reached the fringes of Richmond. Now there is bad mutual interference around Fredericksburg. And if I remember there were several Baltimore and DC radio stations that overlapped coverage areas, including 107.3 and 97.1. And these days they keep allowing more LPFM and translator stations that interfere with distant reception of the full power stations which used to be clear and I find this very annoying as sometimes you prefer to listen to the distant station beyond the arbitrary market boundaries. Especially in the car. Now these low power stations tend to interfere.
post #14685 of 14937 Old 03-15-2018, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, for WJLA/WUSA, the outcome was that they added some vertical power and got boosts to 52 kW, above the 30 kW limit.

As to what happened, wishful thinking and failure to understand how viewers watch TV happened. People with outdoor antennas generally did okay; the problems were generally with indoor antennas which had the double-whammy of poor VHF performance plus noise from noisy electronics. I predicted it would be a problem, but as a college student at the time, nobody listened to me.

In 2008 or so, a friend of mine on here on AVS bought a bunch of 10 dB attenuators and inserted them one by one, comparing the DTV reception to the analog. When the analog got to a certain point, the digital signals were all gone, and he said, "well, nobody watches signals like this." My response was something to the effect of "you call it unwatchable; I call it UPN." That was based on reception at my parents' house and how I had watched Star Trek on UPN for many years. And I knew plenty of other people who watched signals that looked just like it, both on VHF and UHF. We agreed there were going to be substantial problems.

The solution, generally, was more power. Some stations moved to UHF, where they could.

- Trip
I heard WUSA and WJLA significantly improved after the increase in power. And WXIA in Atlanta has a strong power level also and has a good signal. So hopefully going into the repack the VHF signals will have the proper balance of power level and antenna pattern. But some signals may remain problematic such as WLOS in Asheville, which has a directional pattern with nulls in certain areas. But what is the peak power limit for VHF, as 1000kw is the top power for UHF?
post #14686 of 14937 Old 03-16-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
And I thought one reason some stations chose to stay on VHF was lower PEPCO bills......
post #14687 of 14937 Old 03-18-2018, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
MHz Networks Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Washington – MHz Networks will end its broadcast and cable distribution of their international news channels in the Washington, D.C. market on March 31, 2018. The move represents a change in television technologies as the company grows into the digital streaming world with MHz Choice and MHz Worldview.

“The broadcast and cable television industries have undergone major changes, and challenges, during the past ten years”, said Frederick Thomas, President of MHz Networks. “Faced with the economics involved in acquiring a new broadcast platform and facility, while also growing a subscription streaming service (MHz Choice) and a national network (MHz Worldview) we had to make a realistic and difficult decision.”

After the spectrum that carried WNVC and WNVT was sold in the FCC spectrum auction, MHz had to find a new broadcast home for its D.C. channels. “In the last 8 months we have tried multiple approaches to keep the international channels alive in D.C.,” says Thomas. “We looked at acquiring another license and to other providers for channel carriage. The former ended in too many moving pieces and the latter proved difficult for the cable systems without a must-carry broadcast partner.”

There are, however, options for fans of MHz in the Washington, D.C. area, MHz Choice and MHz Worldview.

MHz Choice is the critically-acclaimed subscription streaming service available in the U.S. and Canada providing viewers with on-demand access to MHz’s expansive library of exclusive dramas, mysteries, and comedies. The MHz Choice app is available via Amazon Channels, Roku, iTunes, Android with several other platform launches slated for 2018.

MHz Worldview is the linear TV network available in select markets featuring blocks of international news channels and some of MHz’s entertainment collection. “Refocusing our efforts and resources along with new efficient delivery methods will allow us to extend our reach even farther throughout the U.S.,” said Thomas. MHz Worldview remains available nation-wide on DirecTV and many public television stations. It will continue to be carried Cox Communications in the D.C. area after April 1, 2018. Discussions continue with the other cable providers to keep MHz Worldview on air and available for regional viewers.

For more information contact Lance Schwulst here.

About MHz Networks
MHz Networks offers U.S. viewers access to a library of the best international television mysteries, dramas, comedies and documentaries subtitled in English on DVD and its digital platform, MHz Choice. MHz Networks’ unique international programming is also available on its national channel, MHz Worldview. MHz Worldview is available nationwide on DirecTV channel 2183 and on 25+ select public television affiliates.

New MHz Choice customers receive a free 30-Day Trial. For more information or to subscribe, go to mhzchoice.com.
Valyard likes this.
post #14688 of 14937 Old 03-18-2018, 02:58 PM

WZDC-CD, which is under a channel-sharing agreement with WRC-TV4 to use the WRC signal on RF-48, has a Virtual presence on both 4.3/4.4 and 44.1/44.2 for Telemundo/TeleXitos.

As I remember, WZDC moved to RF-48 in December and began virtual broadcasts on Virtual 4.3/4.4 as well as maintaining a separate Telemundo telecast on RF-25/Virtual 25.1. Sometime in early March, WZDC shut down its RF-25/Virtual 25.1 telecast and began broadcasts on RF-48/Virtual 44.1 and 44.2. Why Virtual 44 and not Virtual 25? Well, it gets complicated for the former Virtual 25.1.

According to Wikipedia: “As the channel-share went into effect, WZDC's virtual channel number of 25 presented an issue. Virtual channel 25 is already in use by WDVM-TV (Hagerstown, MD). The conflict resolution prescribed by the PSIP standard – assigning virtual channel 26 since WDVM-TV broadcasts on physical channel 26 – is not applicable since WETA-TV already uses virtual channel 26 in the market. A second option was virtual channel 64, corresponding to WZDC-CD's original analog channel. This (virtual) channel is also already in use by WDPB (Seaford, DE on RF-44/Virtual 64), which overlaps the eastern portion of WRC-TV's coverage area. In this case, the same PSIP rule assigns the available virtual channel 44.” Confused?

I would imagine that eventually WRC will terminate virtual telecasts on 4.3/4.4 now that 44.1/44.2 is operational.

Last edited by StevenJB; 03-18-2018 at 03:05 PM.
post #14689 of 14937 Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 PM

The 4.3 and 4.4 have been gone for more than a week. Your receiver must need to be rescanned.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14690 of 14937 Old 03-18-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The 4.3 and 4.4 have been gone for more than a week. Your receiver must need to be rescanned.

- Trip
Thanks for the info. I've been hesitant about rescanning because I might lose my reception for WGAL-TV8 in Lancaster, PA in the process.
post #14691 of 14937 Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJB View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been hesitant about rescanning because I might lose my reception for WGAL-TV8 in Lancaster, PA in the process.
It's not hurting anything, so if you don't want to rescan, you don't have to.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14692 of 14937 Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Thats odd. Both of my TV's (and my out of commission Panny plasma) would automatically update PSIP info when a station is added/changed/dropped as long as I tuned to that station.
post #14693 of 14937 Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Thats odd. Both of my TV's (and my out of commission Panny plasma) would automatically update PSIP info when a station is added/changed/dropped as long as I tuned to that station.
Different TVs do different things.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14694 of 14937 Old 03-19-2018, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Depending upon the TV, you may be able to go in the menu under Channel Edit or Channel Guide and have the option to delete undesired channels without having to rescan.
post #14695 of 14937 Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Different TVs do different things.

- Trip
Fully understood. Just making a point that some TV's auto update
post #14696 of 14937 Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I receive a surprisingly strong WGAL-TV8 signal in Falls Church but only when it rains and for about 1 hour after it stops.
What percentage of time are you getting a usable signal in Olney?
I am considering an antenna for it.
thanks
pk
post #14697 of 14937 Old 04-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
I receive a surprisingly strong WGAL-TV8 signal in Falls Church but only when it rains and for about 1 hour after it stops.
What percentage of time are you getting a usable signal in Olney?
I am considering an antenna for it.
thanks
pk
Sorry for the delay in answering you.

I receive a reliable if not moderate signal of from WGAL-TV during the late Spring to early Fall. In the dead of Winter, reception is very spotty to nonexistent. This pattern seems to follow the same results and variables when I used to receive WGAL-TV's analog signal prior to June 2009. Of course, analog had its advantages in that a snowy NTSC analog picture was better than not any picture at all with a weak ATSC digital.

If you have the opportunity and resources to erect an outside VHF/UHF antenna with antenna rotor then by all means go for it. Also, include an inline distribution amplifier with your setup. The results can be astounding. Every full power Baltimore and Washington station that I receive is at a minimum of not less than 90 out of 100 for me. The Washington stations are always at 100.

My results for analog and digital FM broadcasting are equally astounding. I reliably receive FM from Delmarva, central Pennsylvania, central Virginia. and West Virginia. Make sure that your antenna is equipped for Low VHF channels 2 through 6 in order to maximize your FM reception.

Regards
post #14698 of 14937 Old 04-01-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 44
On this Google Maps image,
https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-77.2232222

the red teardrop marks the nominal position - and you can clearly see the tower right next to it.

It appears to stand above nearby buildings, and the beltway itself, so you can probably see it from the beltway without much difficulty.

Last edited by MRG1; 04-01-2018 at 02:08 PM.
post #14699 of 14937 Old 04-01-2018, 07:06 PM

I receive a reliable if not moderate signal of from WGAL-TV during the late Spring to early Fall. In the dead of Winter, reception is very spotty to nonexistent. This pattern seems to follow the same results and variables when I used to receive WGAL-TV's analog signal prior to June 2009. Of course, analog had its advantages in that a snowy NTSC analog picture was better than not any picture at all with a weak ATSC digital.

If you have the opportunity and resources to erect an outside VHF/UHF antenna with antenna rotor then by all means go for it. Also, include an inline distribution amplifier with your setup. The results can be astounding. Every full power Baltimore and Washington station that I receive is at a minimum of not less than 90 out of 100 for me. The Washington stations are always at 100.

Regards[/QUOTE]

Thanks

We will add a rotor antenna system.

pk
post #14700 of 14937 Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 AM

MHz China Content to 32?

Schedules Direct has 3 new OTA channels with program listings for WHUT 32 [RF 33] 32.3, 32.4 & 32.5. The program listings on all three channels is Chinese content, although 32.3 has some Africa content.
I assume that it will be the 3 China based channels from MHz networks; CGTN America, CGTN Documentary, CNC World.
And maybe some Africa Today TV.
But no OTA broadcast yet, and no other information/confirmation as of Saturday.

pk

Last edited by pkpaul; 04-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page