Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 492 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 272Likes

post #14731 of 15117 Old 07-02-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Atmosphere has been very active over the past few days. A friend in Ohio picked up DC and Maryland stations yesterday.

- Trip

It happens at this time of year, or a couple of weeks earlier. In 1978, back when most TV stations went off the air at night, I had just put Winegard's biggest combo on my roof and got the New York City stations from about 250 miles away. I thought "Holy s#it!" and I wrote a letter to TV guide to subscribe to the New York City edition, but I didn't have a stamp so it didn't go out with the mail which was just as well, because that reception was gone the next night. Same thing happened the next two years.
aaronwt and DrDon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14732 of 15117 Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
In 2015 you said:

If you still live at 2211, this would be your report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90381e553d941e

I see a LOT of trees around you in that area. Your report indicates that a preamp is not needed, but the trees might make the signals weaker. Adding a preamp would be a gamble; it might not help. If you are willing to try, I suggest an Antennas Direct Juice preamp mounted near the antenna. It is resistant to overload, but your tuner isn't. If the signals are too strong for your tuner, you can add an attenuator between the power inserter for the preamp and the tuner.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html
scroll down to Trees and UHF

Your antenna is aimed directly at the trees for the Baltimore channels.
based on my observed topography do you recommend a preamp and if you do who do you know that would install it?
rjv
post #14733 of 15117 Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post
based on my observed topography do you recommend a preamp and if you do who do you know that would install it?
rjv
I would like to give you a guarantee that a preamp would help, but I can't do that; I can only say that it might help.

There is a small hill just before your location, but the WJZ signal just clears it with your antenna at 25 feet.

However, there are still trees in the signal path from Baltimore.

The only thing I am fairy certain about is that you would have good reception if your antenna (in good condition) was on a tower tall enough so that the antenna was above the trees. But, that would be $$$expensive$$$.

TV antenna installers are harder to find now than years ago before cable TV. Since I don't live in your area, I would have to do a Google search.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=4n4....0.CehDnbm19To

Maybe some of the other posters on this local thread can suggest an installer for Havre de Grace MD.

Or maybe what you need is a tree guy with a chain saw to remove the trees just in front of the antenna.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvieleAVSp2WJZ.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2424718   Click image for larger version

Name:	rvieleAVSlookingTowardsBal.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	2424728  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 07-05-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14734 of 15117 Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would like to give you a guarantee that a preamp would help, but I can't do that; I can only say that it might help.

There is a small hill just before your location, but the WJZ signal just clears it with your antenna at 25 feet.

However, there are still trees in the signal path from Baltimore.

The only thing I am fairy certain about is that you would have good reception if your antenna (in good condition) was on a tower tall enough so that the antenna was above the trees. But, that would be $$$expensive$$$.

TV antenna installers are harder to find now than years ago before cable TV. Since I don't live in your area, I would have to do a Google search.
https://www.google.com/search?ei=4n4....0.CehDnbm19To

Maybe some of the other posters on this local thread can suggest an installer for Havre de Grace MD.

Or maybe what you need is a tree guy with a chain saw to remove the trees just in front of the antenna.

i ordered an antennas direct juice today so we will see what happens. now if i could find someone to put it on the antenna!
rjv
post #14735 of 15117 Old 07-07-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i ordered an antennas direct juice today so we will see what happens. now if i could find someone to put it on the antenna!
rjv
Until you find someone who can safely put the preamp near the antenna, try putting it in the coax line as close as you can to the antenna without risking injury to yourself. The power inserter goes inside out of the weather.

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #14736 of 15117 Old 07-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Until you find someone who can safely put the preamp near the antenna, try putting it in the coax line as close as you can to the antenna without risking injury to yourself. The power inserter goes inside out of the weather.
two problems as i see them.
first- how far away on the pole can i put the preamp
second- i'm trying to get away from making another splice in the line
rjv
post #14737 of 15117 Old 07-07-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
two problems as i see them.
first- how far away on the pole can i put the preamp
rjv
The most effective location is near the antenna; the least effective location is near the TV, but it might help there.
Quote:
second- i'm trying to get away from making another splice in the line
Understood
If the antenna was installed properly, there should be a grounding block in the coax just before it goes inside. You can try it there. If there is no grounding block, you need a TV tech or an electrician.

Your system should be like this now:
Antenna > coax > grounding block > coax > TV

Ideal:
Antenna > preamp > coax > grounding block > coax > power inserter > TV

Least effective but easiest:
Antenna > coax > grounding block > coax > preamp > power inserter > TV

Maybe you can put it here for a test:
Antenna > long coax > preamp > short coax > grounding block > coax > power inserter > TV

When you use a short RG6 coax jumper, it will not be necessary to make a splice.

How long is the coax from the antenna to the TV?

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge which will tend to discourage a strike, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grounding block2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2425746  

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 07-08-2018 at 07:30 AM.
post #14738 of 15117 Old 07-08-2018, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 251
So it appears that WJZ will be ditching their directional antenna for a non directional antenna when they move to 11. This could be good news for many as their signal tends to be the weakest of the major networks out of Baltimore. I live in Dillsburg and can get all Baltimore stations well. Wjz is my most problematic. They transmit a weak signal n/w. Hopefully things will greatly improve.

Crazy DXing this morning. Getting strong signal from WUNC in NC.

Last edited by keeper; 07-08-2018 at 05:29 AM.
post #14739 of 15117 Old 07-09-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Crazy DXing this morning. Getting strong signal from WUNC in NC.
Happening this morning too. Getting a Lynchburg, VA and Greensboro, NC station...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #14740 of 15117 Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
how much signal will i lose when i splice the coax?
rjv
post #14741 of 15117 Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
how much signal will i lose when i splice the coax?
rjv
A splice using an F-81 adapter will lose less than 1/2 dB, but I don't know where you are putting it. I showed you a way to avoid a splice using a short RG6 coax jumper that already comes with connectors on it.

Show me how your system is connected now and how long the coax lines are. Then show me where you want to put the preamp for a test, like I showed you in my previous post with line lengths added.

For example:
Now, before test
Ant > 25' coax > grounding block > 25' coax > TV

as a test
Ant > 25' coax > preamp > 3' coax > grounding block > 25' coax > power inserter > 10' coax > TV

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 07-09-2018 at 07:25 PM.
post #14742 of 15117 Old 07-10-2018, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
A splice using an F-81 adapter will lose less than 1/2 dB, but I don't know where you are putting it. I showed you a way to avoid a splice using a short RG6 coax jumper that already comes with connectors on it.

Show me how your system is connected now and how long the coax lines are. Then show me where you want to put the preamp for a test, like I showed you in my previous post with line lengths added.

For example:
Now, before test

as a test
Ant > 25' coax > preamp > 3' coax > grounding block > 25' coax > power inserter > 10' coax > TV
i found the ground block o thats where i'm going to put the preamp. that way i won't have a splice.
rjv
post #14743 of 15117 Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For example:
Now, before test

as a test
i intalled the antennas direct juice tonight so we'll see how every goes in a couple of days. thanks again for your help.
rjv
post #14744 of 15117 Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 29
FOX 5 Plus

Fox 5 Plus (formerly WDCA-DT) is running commercials advising viewers who receive them off-the-air (OTA) to do a rescan on 7/19/18 after 12 PM. I guess they're moving/combining their signal with Fox 5 (on channel 36) at that time?

http://www.fox5dc.com/about-us/resca...ox-5-plus-wdca
post #14745 of 15117 Old 07-15-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 159
correct
post #14746 of 15117 Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

UHF-14 WWTD’s channel identifiers went nutso late last night and early this morning, temporarily, and to our benefit. The heretofore missing NTDTV Chinese channel forced its way into my TV’s channel guide at 14.2, with Gettv temporarily displaced to channel 15.2, and Retro TV, which had been blank on 49.4 for the most recent few months, and which had defective, “hot” audio for years before that, was on 14.6 with perfect audio. Also, the recent 49.1, .3, and .5 subchannel programming was temporarily remapped to 14.10, .12 and .14.

Bear in mind that some of these relocations may have been the result of my television resolving its own channel placement conflicts, so if you had rescanned this morning, you might have encountered a different jumble.

Now, the UHF-14, WWTD channels are mapped back to the 49.X suite, with the Chinese channel gone again, and while RetroTV has re-established its 49.4 identifier, it is showing a blank screen.

Last edited by AntAltMike; 07-16-2018 at 07:11 AM.
post #14747 of 15117 Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any ideas for PBS reception for in the Northern Sheanandoah Valley

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for OTA PBS reception in the Northern Shenandoah Valley, north of Harrisonburg, VA, now that WVPY is no longer broadcasting out of Front Royal, VA. Prior to June 11, 2018, we were getting a strong signal on RF 21 at our home in Mount Jackson, VA with a simple rabbit ears UHF/VHF antenna. After June 11th, nothing.

An email into WVPT (the parent station) has not been responded to.

Thanks.
post #14748 of 15117 Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman_1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for OTA PBS reception in the Northern Shenandoah Valley, north of Harrisonburg, VA, now that WVPY is no longer broadcasting out of Front Royal, VA. Prior to June 11, 2018, we were getting a strong signal on RF 21 at our home in Mount Jackson, VA with a simple rabbit ears UHF/VHF antenna..

You will likely need an outdoor high-VHF antenna aimed at Elliot Knob west of Staunton, and whether or not that works will be location-dependent. Plug your exact location into TVFool.com and post the bolded link it provides. That'll give an idea of how strong your signal is and what might need to be done.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14749 of 15117 Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
You will likely need an outdoor high-VHF antenna aimed at Elliot Knob west of Staunton, and whether or not that works will be location-dependent. Plug your exact location into TVFool.com and post the bolded link it provides. That'll give an idea of how strong your signal is and what might need to be done.

- Trip
Hi Trip,

Thanks for responding. The TV-Fool link (after the web address is):
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038ffb4e0b08 d

The forum won't let me post links yet.
BTW it still has RF 21 on it, which I don't believe is broadcasting anymore, at least that's what WVPT's website indicates. Thanks again.
post #14750 of 15117 Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman_1 View Post
Hi Trip,

Thanks for responding. The TV-Fool link (after the web address is):
?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038ffb4e0b08 d

The forum won't let me post links yet.
BTW it still has RF 21 on it, which I don't believe is broadcasting anymore, at least that's what WVPT's website indicates. Thanks again.
Yeah, TVFool has gotten somewhat out of date and has various database problems. It's good enough for most uses though.

http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrappe...9038ffb4e0b08d

That's... pretty bad. That's worse than the generic one I'd run to see what the overall environment looked like. I would definitely argue for some type of large outdoor antenna with high-VHF and UHF capability aimed just west of due south. WHSV is going to be moving to Elliot Knob as well, unsure how soon exactly, and while they have plans to put a translator at the current site, there could be a gap between the move and the translator. You may also need an amplifier, but start without one and see.

I tried to pick out something nearby that you could buy and return if it doesn't work for you. Lowes in Harrisonburg has this, according to the website: https://www.lowes.com/pd/RCA-Outdoor...ntenna/3548988 Nothing else on the Lowes site is big enough.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14751 of 15117 Old 07-17-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, TVFool has gotten somewhat out of date and has various database problems. It's good enough for most uses though.

That's... pretty bad. That's worse than the generic one I'd run to see what the overall environment looked like. I would definitely argue for some type of large outdoor antenna with high-VHF and UHF capability aimed just west of due south. WHSV is going to be moving to Elliot Knob as well, unsure how soon exactly, and while they have plans to put a translator at the current site, there could be a gap between the move and the translator. You may also need an amplifier, but start without one and see.

I tried to pick out something nearby that you could buy and return if it doesn't work for you. Lowes in Harrisonburg has this, according to the website: .... Nothing else on the Lowes site is big enough.

- Trip
It may be that WHSV is already transitioning. We used to be able to pick it up fairly easily along with WVPY with a 10 dB RF amplifier between the rabbit ears and the TV. Now there's nothing, although during the scan, the TV will linger on RF 49 for a good 30 seconds before moving on.
post #14752 of 15117 Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
Channel 68.1, formerly LATV, is now Heartland TV.
http://www.watchheartlandtv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
Reincarnation of TNN; The Nashville Network.

Get your daily fix of classic, Crook and Chase at 1:00 PM weekdays.
So, 68.1 is now SBN SonLife Broadcasting Network. The Christian Television Network of Jimmy Swaggart Ministries.
post #14753 of 15117 Old 07-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Now, the UHF-14, WWTD channels are mapped back to the 49.X suite, with the Chinese channel gone again, and while RetroTV has re-established its 49.4 identifier, it is showing a blank screen.

I have been concerned about Retro TV, as the DC station is no longer listed on the network's website.
post #14754 of 15117 Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:

http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrappe...9038ffb4e0b08d

I tried to pick out something nearby that you could buy and return if it doesn't work for you. Lowes in Harrisonburg has this, according to the website: https://www.lowes.com/pd/RCA-Outdoor...ntenna/3548988 Nothing else on the Lowes site is big enough.

- Trip
Well, I heard back from the Chief Engineer at WVPT and the news isn't good:
"With respect to your original question, there is no signal from WVPT at your address. The transmitter is 54 miles away on Elliott Knob, west of Staunton, with 10,000 watts on VHF 11. It has a pattern to protect the Green Bank Radio Observatory, which reduces the power to 185 watts in your direction. Indoor antennas would be impossible, and any signal there is so far below the noise floor that I could not even recommend a deep fringe outdoor VHF antenna. That area is completely terrain shielded, and you'd need a tower over 300' high to clear the obstructions. Signal is -119 dBm there, and the TV needs at least -80 dBm to decode the signal. There are no consumer antennas with enough gain to make that work."
My guess is that WVPT has decided to write-off the Northern part of the Shenandoah Valley from Strasburg to Harrisonburg for OTA reception. I also pointed out in my email to him that,
"I think it’s pretty disingenuous of WVPT to state on their webpage that "WVPY began operations on channel 51.2 (RF channel 11) serving New Market, on June 11, 2018” when no one in and around the New Market area can actually receive the signal. The statement, "There are currently no known issues with WVPT transmitters at this time”, while probably an accurate description of the transmitters, doesn’t take into account the thousands of people who can longer receive the signal emanating from those transmitters. By ceasing transmissions from the Front Royal tower, without a viable alternative, WVPT is neglecting the Northern half of the Shenandoah Valley, which by the way is NOT designated as part of the Hagerstown / Washington D.C. designated market area. The towns of Edinburg, Woodstock, Mount Jackson, New Market, etc. deserve to have a viable alternative rather than paying high prices for dish or cable."
The Chief Engineer did say he would relay my concerns to WVPT management, and he stated, "As for the discontinuation of channel 21 (42) transmissions, and relocating WVPY to the WVPT channel serving New Market, I can do nothing more than agree that removing PBS from such a large coverage area is disappointing."
post #14755 of 15117 Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd View Post
I have been concerned about Retro TV, as the DC station is no longer listed on the network's website.

It's baaaaaaak! I just watched part of the Murcock Mystery. The sound is a little loud, but not unbearably so, as it had been previously.

I got 20.3 back when I rescanned, but it would take a of of work for me to see if the 20.X channels are now on UHF 36. Can someone tell me?
TheKrell likes this.
post #14756 of 15117 Old 07-20-2018, 02:18 AM

Yes, they're on 36. 35 is now dead--until WPXW moves there next year.

https://www.rabbitears.info/atscinfo.../22207-0_0.htm

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Last edited by Trip in VA; 07-20-2018 at 03:02 AM.
post #14757 of 15117 Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

UHF-14 WWTD, AKA 49.1-49.6, was gone completely this morning. Strange that they would have made some effort to repair their subschannel structure just before going off the air completely, which gives rise to hope that it will resurface somewhere.
post #14758 of 15117 Old 07-21-2018, 03:03 PM

WWTD-LD is on now.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #14759 of 15117 Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WWTD-LD is on now.

- Trip

I was waiting until I had a chance to confirm that it is still being broadcast on UHF 14, which I have now confirmed. Has its repack destination been determined yet?
post #14760 of 15117 Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 AM

Quote:
I was waiting until I had a chance to confirm that it is still being broadcast on UHF 14, which I have now confirmed. Has its repack destination been determined yet?
It's not moving.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page