Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 495 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes

post #14821 of 14937 Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
All my TVs are Samsung, so I just rescanned one of them and it successfully received the MPEG-4 Stadium transmission on 45-4.

Any other TVs able to decode it?

- Trip

My Vizio TV decodes it.

Although my Magnavox STB sees channel 45-4, it says "audio only" and there is no picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14822 of 14937 Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
My Vizio TV decodes it.

Although my Magnavox STB sees channel 45-4, it says "audio only" and there is no picture.
I see another new one just popped up between scans.
"Faith"
on channel 31.6

Color bars test pattern
post #14823 of 14937 Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
I see another new one just popped up between scans.
"Faith"
on channel 31.6

Color bars test pattern
It looks like it was added right after I went to bed last night. It's up and running this morning with what appears to be a Canadian religious network.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14824 of 14937 Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
45.4 works on Tivo OTA. Info screen says x264, and AC-3 (two channel)
aaronwt likes this.
post #14825 of 14937 Old 09-14-2018, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I can't get the faithtv.com website to work
post #14826 of 14937 Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post
I can't get the faithtv.com website to work
Is it this?
https://www.myfaithusa.com/
post #14827 of 14937 Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post

Yep. The free, streamed video matches the broadcast programming, and I recognized Kenny Copeland half an hour ago.
post #14828 of 14937 Old 09-15-2018, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

31.1,2,3 all stable. 31.4,5,6. All breaking up somewhat.
post #14829 of 14937 Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
All my TVs are Samsung, so I just rescanned one of them and it successfully received the MPEG-4 Stadium transmission on 45-4.

- Trip
The Channel Master CM7003 OTA converter box

which has both composite and HDMI outputs

decodes 45-4 okay.
post #14830 of 14937 Old 09-22-2018, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
seeing 45-4 too says audio only, sounds like sports talk now, they were talking about the Browns game
post #14831 of 14937 Old 09-23-2018, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Decades 31.5 unwatchable, but Laff 31.2 is fine

Recently, I’ve been having problems picking up Decades channel 31.5, but Laff TV channel 31.2 comes in fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? Decades was fine at the beginning of September. Thanks.
post #14832 of 14937 Old 09-23-2018, 06:41 PM

Looking for some recommendations for an attic antenna:

TV Fool Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903814d5d9cdea

I am happy to see this forum is still active. After being fed up with FIOS TV (Kept Internet), I cut the cord last week, and am now scrambling to get local channels.

We live in Aldie, Northern Virginia in a new construction community, and due to my HOA rules, we cannot place an antenna outside of the house. In an attempt to keep things simple, I tried a MOHU Leaf mounted in my office this weekend, and picked up 6 channels - none of which were the main networks. Now I am looking at outdoor antennas placed in my attic (New single family home - mostly wood, Shingles, Vinyl siding, and not in the shadow of any structures - and want to make sure I get the right gear this time.

I don't want to get bigger than necessary, but I am looking at the Winegard HD8200U or CM-3020.

Are these overkill assuming proper installation? Also, any recommendations for additional antennas to consider, and reliable places to purchase? I have checked Micro Center, Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart; none of which stock anything that I think will meet my requirement.

Thanks in advance.
post #14833 of 14937 Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5731
Quote:
What happened with all of these? I used to be able to pick all of them up. But the last time I looked I wasn't able to receive any of them.

Or maybe I am mixing those up with another channel? I'm think about the one that had ten sub-channels. Five sub-channels on each transmitter I believe?

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #14834 of 14937 Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What happened with all of these? I used to be able to pick all of them up. But the last time I looked I wasn't able to receive any of them.

Or maybe I am mixing those up with another channel? I'm think about the one that had ten sub-channels. Five sub-channels on each transmitter I believe?

You are likely mixing them up with 30.1-30.6, broadcast from Falls Church and 30.7-30.12 broadcast from Goldvein, which I guess is near Manassas.

These 31.X channels are coming from a low power transmitter in DC. While I have sophisticated signal measurement equipment, I had not taken a channel 31 measurement off the antenna I am using so as to have it available for reference purposes, but the primitive signal strength meter on my TV shoes a strong enough signal, so the problems those channels are experiencing more likely had to do with how they are presently being multiplexed together.
aaronwt and Phantom Stranger like this.
post #14835 of 14937 Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonLX View Post

I am happy to see this forum is still active. After being fed up with FIOS TV (Kept Internet), I cut the cord last week, and am now scrambling to get local channels.

We live in Aldie, Northern Virginia in a new construction community, and due to my HOA rules, we cannot place an antenna outside of the house. In an attempt to keep things simple, I tried a MOHU Leaf mounted in my office this weekend, and picked up 6 channels - none of which were the main networks. Now I am looking at outdoor antennas placed in my attic (New single family home - mostly wood, Shingles, Vinyl siding, and not in the shadow of any structures - and want to make sure I get the right gear this time.

I don't want to get bigger than necessary, but I am looking at the Winegard HD8200U or CM-3020.

Are these overkill assuming proper installation? Also, any recommendations for additional antennas to consider, and reliable places to purchase? I have checked Micro Center, Lowes, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart; none of which stock anything that I think will meet my requirement.

Thanks in advance.
The CM-3020 is DEFINITELY overkill unless you want to pull in Baltimore stations. Since you are less than 30 miles LOS from the Washington, DC. stations, you might be able to get all those with only the CM-3016, but easily with the CM-3018. Look on the internet for local dealers that not only sell antennas, but have knowledge about reception issues down there.

I just want to let you know, the ATSC 1.0 signal is very temperamental. Many types of interference (ie. co-channel, multipath) can make the signal drop out. It's something you'll have to watch out for until ATSC 3.0 improves everything.
post #14836 of 14937 Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
We live in Aldie, Northern Virginia in a new construction community, and due to my HOA rules, we cannot place an antenna outside of the house.
BTW, there are "flagpole antennas", and even tree-like antennas, that make it so your neighbors don't know you have an antenna. But if they did figure it out, I guess the HOA could try to get nasty.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that due to FCC rules, your HOA cannot legally restrict antennas that meet certain size rules.

e.g., see
http://www.hoaqanda.com/satellite_rules.html (The page is about satellite antennas, but I think it applies to all TV antennas)

The FCC itself is a more authoritative source:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

You could try pointing this out to your HOA. But if they want to fight it, it may not be worth the effort.

BTW, if you have metal in your roof, or blocking anything in your attic, it is quite possible an attic antenna won't perform well. In fact, any roof blocks signal a little, and it is also true that an antenna higher than your roof is likely to perform better. Also, within an attic, you should try moving the antenna, and its orientation, around, and see how well you do. It would be helpful if you can actually take a TV up there with you, to make experimenting with position and orientation faster.

It is my personal observation based on admittedly little data that the height of an antenna matters a very great deal - even a foot or two within an attic matter a lot in a residential area. AFAICT, things like cars and trucks on nearby roads, trees, and other buildings can block or reduce signal strength and usability a lot. So a rooftop antenna would probably be a lot better. That said, it may be worth a try.

In theory, a high gain directional antenna can do a lot better. But if you are reasonably close to several TV transmission towers, you may find it more convenient to use an omnidirectional antenna so you can easily hook it up one relatively inexpensive DVR and record everything without redirecting the antenna.

I once tried a bare wire antenna. All I did was to take coaxial antenna cable, and cut off one end, and stripped off the outer shield off the last 8-10'. I hung it from the highest rafters in the attic, and played around with placement a bit. In the area I was in it worked very well, giving me about 45 channels (including sub-channels). But where I live now, within a basement, I do not have access to the attic, and it did not work very well. I found a free Clearstream 4V indoor/outdoor antenna on Freecycle - a lot more impressive looking than the 1' square or less toys you see in Best Buy stores, though I'm sure it isn't nearly as good as a high gain YAGI. I looked up my location on Antenna Web and TVFool, found that most of the stations I might be able to receive from an antenna at at near-ground-level were in about the same direction, pointed the antenna roughly at the direction, played around a little with placement and orientation, and I do receive all the major broadcast networks - though reception depends on weather, time of day, etc. However, I also find it very convenient to supplement it with a relatively cheap Internet subscription service (partly because I watch several shows on SyFy), of which there are several to try - different subscription services give you different "local" channels.

If you are good with tools and want to experiment you could try making your own YAGI antenna (see Wikipedia, etc.). They don't actually look complicated or expensive to build - maybe you could make one from a few cheap lengths of wire, though maybe I am missing something, and haven't tried it myself.

An antenna is effectively a grounded conductor. So if you are in an area (like the top of a big hill, or on top of a metal ore deposit, or almost anywhere in Southern Florida) that gets a lot of lightning, an attic antenna is a bad idea, at least in theory. (In fact, in much of Florida, as well as in many coastal areas with sandy soil in the DC area, grounding is prohibited - an local variance from the National Electric Code - because they get hit with lightning so often, that the sandy soils around ground rods turns into non-conductive glass.) But by the same token, so is running electrical wires in your attic, and most people do that. So I guess lightning isn't all that big a problem in most of the DC area. But it's your decision. But technically, even in an attic, if you aren't in an area with said local variance, if your antenna is on a mast, it must be grounded in specific ways that are essentially impossible in an attic. (BTW I'm not an electrician or an expert on NEC.) I wonder if an insurance company could claim lightning fire was your fault...

Last edited by MRG1; 09-26-2018 at 10:21 AM.
post #14837 of 14937 Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Do you need Low VHF? Otherwise consider Winegard 7694 or 7698 for High VHF and UHF. In terms of more compact size, you may be able to manage with a Clearstream 4MAX, or Antop 400BV. With the 4MAX you may need a preamp such as Channel Master Amplify or Winegard LNA200.
post #14838 of 14937 Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
With the 4MAX you may need a preamp such as Channel Master Amplify or Winegard LNA200.
While I'm not that much an expert, here is my take:

The primary problem with preamps is that, unless you go with expensive pro grade stuff, that is likely to cost thousands of $, the gain is limited by the strength of the strongest channel. So if there is even one channel being received received strongly, the preamp won't do any good. In fact, unless it is a very good quality pre-amp, it will add a lot of noise, and create more problems. Plus, the amplifier doesn't clean up multi-path problems and outright blockages or interference which are very often more important than signal strength - amplifiers follow the garbage-in garbage-out rule. All TV receivers and DVRs already have an AGC (automatic gain control) which controls an internal amplifier - so another amplifier rarely helps.

I use my 4V without an amp, after trying it with one. But, I only have a 25' coax (antenna wire) feed - if I had a much longer feed, maybe a pre-amp right next to or mounted on the antenna would help, so there weren't big signal strength losses in the coax feed. That is the one major exception to my claim that another amplifier rarely helps.

I'm not sure this is always true, but you may be better off in terms of both cost and performance, getting a better antenna, like the high gain YAGIs designed for outdoor use, than adding a pre-amp. Especially since space probably isn't a premium in most peoples' attics. And even better, to convince the HOA they don't have a legal right to bar you from putting up an antenna above your home.

It may even make sense to point one antenna at each major direction of receivable broadcast towers, and attach them to different DVRs.

A different type of amp - a distribution amp - may possibly help if you are splitting the signal among several TVs and/or DVRs, because unamplified splitters reduce signal strength a lot. Again, it is extremely important that you get a very good low noise amp - say something in the $75+ range if my several year old info is still valid - basically low end pro-grade equipment, which is rarely sold at the big box stores. (And not needed if each antenna feeds a different DVR, because then it is the DVR signal you are splitting - which is always quite strong.)

Last edited by MRG1; 09-26-2018 at 10:21 PM.
post #14839 of 14937 Old 09-27-2018, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Now all are stable.
post #14840 of 14937 Old 09-28-2018, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Start TV is now on 49.2.

Official site https://www.starttv.com/

Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start_TV

From Wikipedia:
Start TV is an American digital broadcast television network that is owned by Weigel Broadcasting. Primarily carried on the digital subchannels of its affiliated television station in most markets, it primarily airs classic television drama series from the 1980s through the 2000s, with a focus on dramas, police and legal procedurals geared toward female audiences.

The programming may be more female audience oriented that that of the other "rerun" channels.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #14841 of 14937 Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Now all are stable.

31-1 Escape and 31-2 Laff have been chronically halting for the last two days, even from two different antennas. 31-3,4,5 and 6 are all perfectly stable. Signal strength is good on all six.
post #14842 of 14937 Old 10-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

(Late reply, I know...) It's coming in fine on my 2018 model LG. But I know of no way to tell the codec from the TV.

57 channels and nothing on

Last edited by wmcbrine; 10-14-2018 at 08:57 AM.
post #14843 of 14937 Old 10-14-2018, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure when this happened, but News Channel 8 has rebranded as WJLA 24/7 News. Am I crazy for thinking this might presage it being added to their OTA subchannels?

57 channels and nothing on
post #14844 of 14937 Old 10-26-2018, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WWTD, 49.X, UHF 14 has been out since at least Thursday evening.
post #14845 of 14937 Old 10-26-2018, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WWTD, 49.X, UHF 14 has been out since at least Thursday evening.

Back on. 49.4 still too loud, as it has been for, oh, four or five years now.
TheKrell likes this.
post #14846 of 14937 Old 11-03-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I lost 7, 9, 31 and 47 either late last night or very early this morning and they were sill out several hours later.

I am not near a TV at the moment. Are they still out?
post #14847 of 14937 Old 11-03-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
My auto-scanner shows no outages on 7 or 9/68. 31 and 47/58 briefly lost signal late last night for a few minutes.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #14848 of 14937 Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
9,5,4,20,26 Periodically lose power

Lately I've been noticing while watching channel 9 that it will degrade in quality periodically. Channel 5 follows suit, as does 26, and sometimes 4 and 20. Channel 7 and 50 stay rock solid when this happens. The outage generally lasts less than 5 minutes. At first I thought it might be my equipment, but the fact that channel 7 and 50 are solid leads me to believe there's nothing wrong on my end. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?
post #14849 of 14937 Old 12-06-2018, 06:37 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5731
The only Problem I have noticed is the crap quality for the DC stations now. I had to pull up an old recording from just a few years ago to make sure it wasn't my imagination. It was so bad I watched a couple of shows from Hulu last night instead of from my TiVos. And there was a Stark contrast between them. The difference didn't used to be so great. But even the Hulu quality now blows away what I see from OTA around here. It's gotten to the point of almost being vomit inducing.

If this keeps up I might not have a choice but to drop ota, cable, and my TiVos and switch to one of the streaming services for broadcast content..

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #14850 of 14937 Old 12-06-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only Problem I have noticed is the crap quality for the DC stations now. I had to pull up an old recording from just a few years ago to make sure it wasn't my imagination. It was so bad I watched a couple of shows from Hulu last night instead of from my TiVos. And there was a Stark contrast between them. The difference didn't used to be so great. But even the Hulu quality now blows away what I see from OTA around here. It's gotten to the point of almost being vomit inducing.

If this keeps up I might not have a choice but to drop ota, cable, and my TiVos and switch to one of the streaming services for broadcast content..

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk
Interesting you brought this up. I noticed down here in SE VA a lot of "noise" around graphics and football players on our local FOX station (WVBT). I decided to pull up the FOX Sports app on Roku to watch the same game. PQ was NOTICABLE better than OTA! Sharper pic with no "noise." I was shocked. And I did the same thing as you. Subbed to Hulu Live TV for a week for a test. UNFORTUNATELY, the PQ of our locals looked like a slightly compressed version of the OTA signals. I'm going to try others (Sling, YT, DIRECTV Now, etc) when I get some free time...

How do these OTT providers get the locals? OTA? A direct fiber feed to a hub??

With the Big Game in February coming up on CBS, I wonder if the PQ is better on their app (CBS All Access) vs OTA??? Our local CBS station runs 2 subchannels...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version