Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 284Likes

post #121 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, somebody needs to help buri here. Quite a tv he has. 1080p, ATSC tuner, QAM capability. Have you done a channel scan? Connected via component or HDMI and not composite? Any difficult to find settings on tv blocking UHF? A defective tuner? Other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buri View Post

I originally posted my OTA woes a few days back (post #10, page 1) Based on the advice I got, I swapped out the Terk for the Channel Master 4221. Analog quality improved immediately (7 and 9 look exactly like what I get out of normal cable service), but I still receive no digital signal at any orientation/elevation.

The antenna is connected to a Sony Bravia KDL-46V25L1. Its specs include:
ATSC (8VSB terrestrial) -- ATSC compliant 8VSB

There is something wrong. You should be getting a number of digital stations with the ATSC tuner, if you are picking up the analog stations.

I assume your TV is identical to the Sony KDL-46V2500. That is the closest match I can find on Sony's website. I downloaded the manual which shows that the TV has a single RF coaxial input connector - correct? Some TVs have 2 RF input, one for analog/cable, one for digital, that is why I looked it up. The specs in the manual show that the Sony can handle analog NTSC, ATSC OTA, and clear QAM cable channels up to 135 (which means it can handle 850 MHz digital cable systems).

Scanning the manual, you have gone into digital setup menu and done the Auto Program scan as outlined on page 38, correct? You have to do a scan for it to find the digital channels. The antenna is connected through the coaxial cable and the antenna is aimed east to south-east? I just to make sure that you have covered the basic steps here. Because if you have and it still does not work, you may have a bad ATSC tuner.
post #123 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This model has a single RF input. I'm not using anything other than the coax input for the OTA testing.

What I've been doing is running the Auto-Program at 5 degree intervals around 114 degrees in three different locations, one outside a second floor window, and two up in the attic. I've swapped the coax-cable as well. I guess it's looking more and more like the tuner itself might be defective, which is a shame since everything else about the TV is excellent.

Are there any commercially available tools for checking the tuner?

Regards,
BU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT View Post

My list goes to 11.

post #125 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 12:18 PM

I have Verizon FiOS in Anne Arundel County. Does anyone else notice what looks like translucent, rolling dark horizontal bars (hum bars?) on channel 13 (WJZ-SD)? Any idea where in the system these are being inserted?
post #126 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

This model has a single RF input. I'm not using anything other than the coax input for the OTA testing.

What I've been doing is running the Auto-Program at 5 degree intervals around 114 degrees in three different locations, one outside a second floor window, and two up in the attic. I've swapped the coax-cable as well. I guess it's looking more and more like the tuner itself might be defective, which is a shame since everything else about the TV is excellent.

Regards,
BU

Use WETA 26 analog ch to adjust your antenna. Once you have that coming in pretty good if you don't get any digital chs then indeed something might be wrong with the tuner.
post #127 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtoaster View Post

I have Verizon FiOS in Anne Arundel County. Does anyone else notice what looks like translucent, rolling dark horizontal bars (hum bars?) on channel 13 (WJZ-SD)? Any idea where in the system these are being inserted?

Rolling shaded horizontal bars are a classic symptom of a ground loop. A ground loop occurs when the TV, STB, A/V boxes, or an input line is not or poorly grounded to same ground as the rest of the gear. The most common cause of ground loop from avsforum post appears to be a poorly grounded cable line (which happened to me when I was connected to Comcast in Reston but was easy to fix). But since Fios runs glass fiber to the ONT, the problem is not a poorly grounded cable line coming into the house. Do these shaded bars show up on any other channel? Analog or digital channels? I will check my Verizon analog channels for this in case the ground problem is at the source.
post #128 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Your problem is likely a bad ATSC tuner, but this is difficult to confirm if you don't get any digital stations at all. Check your private messages as I am willing to bring over a Accurian ATSC receiver I have sitting around for some fault isolation.
post #129 of 15198 Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankV View Post

I know many of you have called or e-mailed over the past several days and we have not had a chance to return many e-mails or answer phones.

Hank. thanks. Welcome to the forum. Hope you hang out often.
post #130 of 15198 Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyoung View Post

I was going to post this as response to Washington Post story about the guy's $1,399 HDTV, but the thread was closed before I could get to it. I thought this was funny as well.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...ome-columnists

The author of that Washington Post story (Howard Bryant) posted a mea culpa in today's Business section on page F3. He says he got over 100 emails chastising him for misleading readers with his story about buying and installing his HDTV that appeared in the 1/21/2007 issue of the Post.
post #131 of 15198 Old 01-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerdms View Post

I've noticed som audio dropouts on Fox HD (5.1) on 24 the last couple of weeks. I've upgraded to the D* H20-700 DVR so that may have something to do with it, but I was curious if anybody else was having any issues. I've never had issues with FOX before.

I have the same problem with the D*tv FoxHD from Baltimore. I would explain it as a digital stutter. I have an optical connection to a JVC audio receiver. The problem doesn't occur on the non-HD channel.
post #132 of 15198 Old 01-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post

The author of that Washington Post story (Howard Bryant) posted a mea culpa in today's Business section on page F3. He says he got over 100 emails chastising him for misleading readers with his story about buying and installing his HDTV that appeared in the 1/21/2007 issue of the Post.

What's sad is it is the article that is noticeable, and the mea culpas get posted as an afterthought, hidden deep in some unrelated section, usually. The article has had its impact and convinced many ont he verge to hold back on their tech purchases, while further reinforcing to those in the know that newspaper tech writers will do anything, and research as little as possible, to get an article out the door. Usually!

*ashu*
post #133 of 15198 Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know I've posted this question before but I want to get a fresh answer:

What website do you use to know what HD content is available on TV? I use: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/28...nuary-28-2007/
post #134 of 15198 Old 01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post

What website do you use to know what HD content is available on TV? I use: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/28...nuary-28-2007/

http://tvlistings5.zap2it.com/tvlist...cessZipcode.do

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #135 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 04:30 AM

Well I know some of us get frustrated in about month when it's the ACC basketball tournament and we have to deal with SD because of Raycom and the ESPN blackout. Well I emailed Raycom last night asking about HD and got a quick reply:

>Richard:

>Thank you for your feedback. Currently, Raycom Sports and Lincoln
>Financial Sports are testing "non-network" HD delivery of our ACC
>Basketball telecasts with our local stations throughout the ACC
>Territory. If the tests are successful, we have plans in place to
>produce and deliver the entire ACC Basketball Tournament in HD.

>Thank you,
>Raycom Sports & Lincoln Financial Sports

I'm not sure what non-network means, but I'm sure one of you could tell me At least this sounds promising!
post #136 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post

I was one of the 100. I never got a response and figured the guy blew me off. As another poster pointed out -- the damage is done but at least he owned up to the fact that he made some mistakes. Many news outlets never do.

I was pleased that one of my comments made it into his article.

Check your settings: Your comment about having to buy HD DVD or Blu-ray to have a correct aspect ratio is completely misleading. You probably had a setting in either the DVD player or the TV that was wrong. If you correct your settings, you won't have that problem. Do yourself a favor and read your user manuals and check your settings.

One can only hope that he actually tried this at home and is now enjoying DVD's played in their correct aspect ratio on his new TV.
post #137 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

www.titantv.com

YMMV

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

- Randy K. Milholland
post #138 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry78bug View Post

I have the same problem with the D*tv FoxHD from Baltimore. I would explain it as a digital stutter. I have an optical connection to a JVC audio receiver. The problem doesn't occur on the non-HD channel.

I got an e-mail from one D* viewer last week about the same problem. Since it's happening on both 45 and 5, it would seem as though it would be a FOX network issue, but I haven't found the problem yet.

Mark

Mark
post #139 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh400 View Post

I was one of the 100. I never got a response and figured the guy blew me off. As another poster pointed out -- the damage is done but at least he owned up to the fact that he made some mistakes. Many news outlets never do.

I was pleased that one of my comments made it into his article.

Check your settings: Your comment about having to buy HD DVD or Blu-ray to have a correct aspect ratio is completely misleading. You probably had a setting in either the DVD player or the TV that was wrong. If you correct your settings, you won't have that problem. Do yourself a favor and read your user manuals and check your settings.

One can only hope that he actually tried this at home and is now enjoying DVD's played in their correct aspect ratio on his new TV.

I also wrote to him about the DVD part of his article being wrong. But the rest of it was pretty good, especially for a mainstream publication. I complimented him on his article overall.

Also, if you read what he says, only SOME of the 100 emails were critical. Not all.
post #140 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 AM

I've had the same problem over the last couple weeks with the audio on FOX 45-1 & 5-1. I noticed it on 45 and switched over to 5 and the same thing was happening. I think it has only happened on the national TV shows and not the local shows.
post #141 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Any local HD PBS/MPT station showing Live at the Met "The Magic Flute" tonight (repeat from last Saturday) in 5.1 audio? WETA had stereo the first time ...
post #142 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY02 View Post

I've had the same problem over the last couple weeks with the audio on FOX 45-1 & 5-1. I noticed it on 45 and switched over to 5 and the same thing was happening. I think it has only happened on the national TV shows and not the local shows.

Out of curiosity, are you watching on DirecTV also?

Mark

Mark
post #143 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd79 View Post

I also wrote to him about the DVD part of his article being wrong. But the rest of it was pretty good, especially for a mainstream publication. I complimented him on his article overall.

Also, if you read what he says, only SOME of the 100 emails were critical. Not all.

I thought his comments on not being able to play SD DVD's was especially harmful given that in my mind and the limited amount of HD programming, DVD playback is one of the best uses for an HDTV. It's not HDTV but with a good display, a good player, and proper calibration, it's close.

I also thought that his comment about only 6 percent of programming is HD. That's true if one looks at all the channels but that channel total includes many channels that many of us never watch. I have about 50 channels on my favorites list which brings the percentage up to 25.
post #144 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANLEY02 View Post

I've also noticed that problem and I'm watching OTA. The audio for the show would seem too low and then it would go back to normal for the commercials.
post #145 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertforsyth View Post

besides the news headlines in the lower left, what is not weather?

Well, the lower 1/3 of the screen is all "news". The right upper 1/3 has a current temp in a city, while the lower half of that right 1/3 is all an Ad. Relegating the radar to about 1/4 of the screen, which most of us want to see.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #146 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I don't...I use the Comcast Guide and if I see anything I like, I either watch it or DVR it.

Arrive
Raise Hell
Leave
post #147 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was curious where the imaginary line is drawn between DC locals and Balt locals for DirecTV. I have lived south of DC and now North of Baltimore and in each case have only gotten one or the other. However if you live in someplace on 95/295 corridor in between can you get both? Also is it the same on Dish and the cables?
post #148 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mark:

I am not the original poster. I had the same audio problem with D's HD feed of American Idol on channel 45 Wednesday night. I have the HR 20-700 also.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbulla View Post

Out of curiosity, are you watching on DirecTV also?

Mark

post #149 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

I was curious where the imaginary line is drawn between DC locals and Balt locals for DirecTV. I have lived south of DC and now North of Baltimore and in each case have only gotten one or the other. However if you live in someplace on 95/295 corridor in between can you get both? Also is it the same on Dish and the cables?

Not in Laurel - depending on which county you live in, Dish will either give you DC or Baltimore, but not both.

Mark

Mark
post #150 of 15198 Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello Hoyty..Do you have D* where you live? If so, how has your experience been with them? Currently i live in Columbia, but will be moving to Parkville in a few months,and already purchased the D* HR-20 HD DVR. I'm just waiting to move before I hook everything up.
Right now I have Comcast and get all the DC and Baltimore locals, but only the Baltimore locals in HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page