Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 503 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 309Likes

post #15061 of 15287 Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by al.rob View Post
The roof top main antenna is over 20 years old and will need to be replaced soon. A few of the rods have broken off, but fortunately only the long ones for VHF-LO which is no longer needed.
From where you are, a simple, small channel 7-51 antenna like the RCA Yagi or GE "Attic Mount" Outdoor will probably work, especially if you have line of sight to the transmitters. One advantage to a smaller antenna is that there's less surface area for stuff to hit it. However, both of these antennas have weaknesses. The first one is that they both may be too directional to pick up MPT 21.

Secondly, the RCA and GE have notable flaws. The RCA requires a 300-75 ohm transformer that is difficult to install and potentially manage. I'd install it with an aftermarket transformer with caulk placed where the 300-ohm line meets the cylinder (in case it isn't naturally water-resistant; the aftermarket one I'm linking to isn't), and let that set before installation. Highly-rated transformer two-pack on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Matc...dp/B07BW9YS4Q/ Make sure to tightly ziptie the RG-6 cable to the mounting pole so the transformer has a little give, so the transformer is not placed under excess strain in wind.

The GE has a built-in RG-6 output, but has plastic that holds the UHF reflector into the main section, which may not survive through multiple winters like your current antenna. Its failure will make the antenna less directional, less potent in receiving signals in the direction the antenna is pointed at, and more prone to UHF multipath dropouts in wind, and otherwise wouldn't affect operation.

Either way, I'd just keep what you have until it finally fails. It might be another decade or more before it fails; you never know! You'll probably know it's time when channels 7 and 9 no longer come in. In the meantime, more optimized channel 7-36 antennas may become available that make reception in the channel 14-36 spectrum better than what is currently available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15062 of 15287 Old 09-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm rescanning my tuners about once a week these days. I can get 4 again more or less consistently. Happily it appears I can get 22 well on at least one of the tuners in my house here in Ashburn! I have a fairly straightforward VHF/UHF Channel Master combination (circa 2003) in my attic and it works pretty well even through the shingles.

Philip Hamm
post #15063 of 15287 Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
There is a new channel on 13.3 called DABL
It is currently dark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15064 of 15287 Old 09-09-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm View Post
I'm rescanning my tuners about once a week these days. I can get 4 again more or less consistently. Happily it appears I can get 22 well on at least one of the tuners in my house here in Ashburn! I have a fairly straightforward VHF/UHF Channel Master combination (circa 2003) in my attic and it works pretty well even through the shingles.
NBC 4 seems stronger for me now that they've changed to their repack frequency.
aaronwt and Philip Hamm like this.
post #15065 of 15287 Old 09-09-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
There is a new channel on 13.3 called DABL
It is currently dark

It's Lit-up now;
www.dabl.com
Yet another life-style type network.
post #15066 of 15287 Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Rooftop Antenna or Wait Until ATSC 3.0

No idea where to post this. Sorry if in the wrong place.

I've got several attic antennas - a pair of Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X 8-bays, an Antennas Direct Clearstream 5, and an extra not hooked up - a Stellar Labs 30-2475 Fringe Directional VHF-Hi. Amps on all of them (Winegard Boost XT LNA-200s on 2, and an LNA-100 on the other). For the time being my Clearstream 5 is pointing at Baltimore and combined with one of my 8-bays (pointing at D.C.) via a Pico Macom UVSJ VHF-UHF combiner, while my other 8-bay is pointing at Harrisburg and hooked up to a different TV.

Rabbit Ear link: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=12612

Despite the results on the chart, I am able to get consistent reception on several channels from Harrisburg (WHP CBS and WXBU Comet), but struggle to get consistent signal from D.C. I can pick up the channels but who knows whether they will work on any given day. Meanwhile my Baltimore UHF channels are solid, but VHF is not as consistent as I would like, considering I have an (allegedly) VHF specialized antenna pointing directly at the towers.

All this has led me to want to take the plunge and finally mount something on the roof. As I have no desire to clamber about on my roof, I'll be outsourcing it to a pro.

But then I got to thinking. ATSC 3.0 is rolling out . . . soon? Maybe? I hear by end of 2020 it will be in several markets. Though doubtless it will take years for the transition to be complete. Nevertheless, the technology is supposed to be better at penetrating building materials and allow for increased reception. I am wondering, is it worth it to pay $ to mount an antenna, or is it better to just wait and see how good ATSC 3.0 really is, and then re-evaluate? Anyone have any data as to how much better reception is with ATSC 3.0?

Another point would be, what if ATSC 3.0 lends itself to different types of antennas to optimize performance?

Anyway looking for advice on whether to invest in a big antenna rig now, or hold off for maybe a couple years. What do you folks think?
post #15067 of 15287 Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fri1038 View Post
I thought they may have gone MPEG-4 like Stadium on 45.4, but I see that channel just fine.

Can you elaborate on this? For some reason I get no video on Stadium 45.4 on one of my tvs, but I get video on the other. I have never been able to figure out why. I even emailed the station but got no response.

Rabbit Ear link (per forum rules): https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=12612
post #15068 of 15287 Old 09-17-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJB View Post
They are on the same antenna, but, WJZ uses a directional antenna:

https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern....ion=0&erp=33.8

WBAL uses a non-directional antenna.

Your location in Virginia is on the weaker side of the WJZ coverage pattern.

After WJZ moves to RF11 from RF13 on May 1, 2020, it will be use a a new non-directional antenna. WBAL will move from RF11 to RF12, also on May 1, 2020, and will continue to use a non-directional antenna.

So, WJZ's antenna is weaker to the west and stronger to the east, based on the link above? That might explain why I have more trouble picking that station up than any of the other Baltimore stations.

post #15069 of 15287 Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeadered View Post
Can you elaborate on this? For some reason I get no video on Stadium 45.4 on one of my tvs, but I get video on the other. I have never been able to figure out why. I even emailed the station but got no response.
45.4 uses MPEG4 for video instead of MPEG2, not all TVs support MPEG4 video.
aaronwt likes this.
post #15070 of 15287 Old 09-18-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1843 Post(s)
Liked: 849
So has anyone else noticed that WFDC/WDCW hasn't had a PAT all day, so a bunch of receivers won't pick it up, or is it just me?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #15071 of 15287 Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
So has anyone else noticed that WFDC/WDCW hasn't had a PAT all day, so a bunch of receivers won't pick it up, or is it just me?

- Trip

No signals here in Falls Church either.
post #15072 of 15287 Old 09-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpaul View Post
No signals here in Falls Church either.

Signal is back now.
post #15073 of 15287 Old 09-19-2019, 01:28 AM

Indeed. Have to wonder how much monitoring they're doing that it was allowed to run like that all day.

- Trip
aaronwt likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #15074 of 15287 Old 09-22-2019, 07:19 PM

Westminster, MD

Trying to determine whether it is worth it to pay $ to roof mount an antenna now, or is it better to just wait and see how good ATSC 3.0 really is, and then re-evaluate? Anyone have any data as to how much better reception is with ATSC 3.0?

I've got multiple attic antennas. I am unsatisfied with my reception on the Baltimore VHF stations and on the D.C. stations in general. Roof mounting would probably solve both of those problems. Anyway looking for advice on whether to invest in a big antenna rig now, or hold off for maybe a couple years. What do you folks think?
post #15075 of 15287 Old 09-23-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

Trying to determine whether it is worth it to pay $ to roof mount an antenna now, or is it better to just wait and see how good ATSC 3.0 really is, and then re-evaluate? Anyone have any data as to how much better reception is with ATSC 3.0?
Hello, RedLeadered

Thank you for the signal report.

Your previous thread about attic install for reference:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hd...roof-wall.html

It's a little too early to tell about ATSC 3.0, it's now in testing stage and the only tuners available are expensive prototypes. It should be able to handle multipath better, but otherwise an optimum attic install for ATSC 1.0 should be optimum for ATSC 3.0.

Quote:
I've got multiple attic antennas. I am unsatisfied with my reception on the Baltimore VHF stations and on the D.C. stations in general. Roof mounting would probably solve both of those problems. Anyway looking for advice on whether to invest in a big antenna rig now, or hold off for maybe a couple years. What do you folks think?
I suggest you try to improve your present attic antenna system for Baltimore, D.C. will never be perfect for you, even with an outdoor antenna because you are behind a hill for D.C. signals. If you click on the WTTG Transmitter Distance in your report, you will see this:

What antennas are you using now? For best reception, the antenna must be aimed at the transmitter. You would need two antennas, one for Baltimore and one for D.C. It is usually necessary to try different locations in an attic to find the best location for reception.

If you aren't able to get the Baltimore channels OK in the attic, THEN you must go outside.

There are many channel changes now because of Repack by the FCC; at least wait until that is over.

Baltimore Repack Plan:
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...=&lss=&status=

Repack Transition schedule; Baltimore will be Phase 8 and 9:
https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-in...ition-schedule

D.C. Repack Plan:
https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...=&lss=&status=

The moderator might move your post to HDTV Technical or a specific reception area thread, but you've been there and done that before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedLeaderedAVSp3WTTG.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2619090   Click image for larger version

Name:	RedLeaderedAVSreportRE2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	2619104  

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 09-23-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #15076 of 15287 Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 346
RedLeadered;
There was no mention exactly what your house is like. Is the "attic" a true direct walk up or is it a 'crawl space' thru a closet or hall ceiling access where you (try) to step on the ceiling joists to maneuver around?
A typical suburban 1 1/2 story, 'ranch' type that you can reach the walk-able roof with a 24' extension ladder?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

Last edited by videobruce; 09-23-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #15077 of 15287 Old 09-23-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
I've got several attic antennas - a pair of Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X 8-bays, an Antennas Direct Clearstream 5, and an extra not hooked up - a Stellar Labs 30-2475 Fringe Directional VHF-Hi. Amps on all of them (Winegard Boost XT LNA-200s on 2, and an LNA-100 on the other). For the time being my Clearstream 5 is pointing at Baltimore and combined with one of my 8-bays (pointing at D.C.) via a Pico Macom UVSJ VHF-UHF combiner, while my other 8-bay is pointing at Harrisburg and hooked up to a different TV.

Despite the results on the chart, I am able to get consistent reception on several channels from Harrisburg (WHP CBS and WXBU Comet), but struggle to get consistent signal from D.C. I can pick up the channels but who knows whether they will work on any given day. Meanwhile my Baltimore UHF channels are solid, but VHF is not as consistent as I would like, considering , both aimed at D.C.I have an (allegedly) VHF specialized antenna pointing directly at the towers.
Try the HDB8X and AD CS5 combined with the UVSJ and both aimed at Baltimore. If the VHF channels aren't good enough, replace the CS5 with the 30-2475.

For D.C. try the HDB8X and 30-2475 with both aimed at D.C.

Quote:
Another point would be, what if ATSC 3.0 lends itself to different types of antennas to optimize performance?
I doubt it; as far as the antenna is concerned, it's pretty much the same RF signal.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #15078 of 15287 Old 09-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like ch. 49.1 the Korean MBC channel is gone. 49.2-49.6 are still there.

Last edited by dleedlee; 09-25-2019 at 12:26 PM.
post #15079 of 15287 Old 09-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is WFDC/WDCW having problems again/still? I haven't seen it in a week or so. I usually have no problems picking it up.
post #15080 of 15287 Old 09-24-2019, 02:25 AM

It looks okay to me. https://www.rabbitears.info/tvdx/sig...tuner1/WFDC-DT

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #15081 of 15287 Old 09-24-2019, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fri1038 View Post
Is WFDC/WDCW having problems again/still? I haven't seen it in a week or so. I usually have no problems picking it up.

I see it okay this morning. Thanks for checking.
post #15082 of 15287 Old 09-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Arlington VA 22204

Hello,
We're renovating our house in Arlington 22204 and it's time to add an antenna. I'm pretty sure we're going to go roof mount because the attic is extremely small, and I'd rather be confident that the antenna is going to work. I put in 25 feet for height, but it may be a bit higher.

For my location, it's id-14663 on rabbitears.info, but I'm unable to post the link.
I'm most concerned with getting the DC and Baltimore stations

I will be connecting 2 televisions, both directly under the antenna - 1-two floors below, and one in the basement. There will be coax throughout the house. One of the TV's is an older Sharp Aquos from the early 2000's, and the 2nd tv will be a new purchase.
We are on a hill that runs downward from the ENE to WSW, and we are close to the top of that hill at approximately 230' above sea level.

We'd prefer a small, inexpensive antenna that should last a long time, but I know those things don't always go together.

Please let me know what you would recommend or let me know if there is other information I can provide.

Thank you!
post #15083 of 15287 Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcscene View Post
Hello,
We're renovating our house in Arlington 22204 and it's time to add an antenna. I'm pretty sure we're going to go roof mount because the attic is extremely small, and I'd rather be confident that the antenna is going to work. I put in 25 feet for height, but it may be a bit higher.

For my location, it's id-14663 on rabbitears.info, but I'm unable to post the link.
I'm most concerned with getting the DC and Baltimore stations

First post in 12 years... see you on your next post in 2031.
Link for your rabbitears report: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=14663
Philip Hamm and dcscene like this.
post #15084 of 15287 Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 PM

Here's your link: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=14663

The DC stations should be a piece of cake. Even Baltimore doesn't look bad, though I expect you'll end up doing what I do and aiming for Baltimore with DC being less favorable.

Like any other antenna recommendation, you should save receipts and return it if it doesn't work. I'd say you should start with something small like the RCA 751. If that doesn't work for you, return it and go bigger from there. WMAR/WBAL/WJZ are likely to be your trouble cases, so you may end up needing something beefier for them--especially for WBAL/WJZ on VHF.

- Trip
dcscene likes this.

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #15085 of 15287 Old 09-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The DC stations should be a piece of cake. Even Baltimore doesn't look bad, though I expect you'll end up doing what I do and aiming for Baltimore with DC being less favorable.

Like any other antenna recommendation, you should save receipts and return it if it doesn't work. I'd say you should start with something small like the RCA 751. If that doesn't work for you, return it and go bigger from there. WMAR/WBAL/WJZ are likely to be your trouble cases, so you may end up needing something beefier for them--especially for WBAL/WJZ on VHF.

- Trip
Thank you for your help. I'll try the RCA 751 first and see if that does the trick and will report back but as the house is still under construction - it will be a while.
post #15086 of 15287 Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your help. I'll try the RCA 751 first and see if that does the trick and will report back but as the house is still under construction - it will be a while.
I've already run into a snag. The contractor I was going with to do all of my low-voltage cabling doesn't do antenna installations. Any recommendations?
post #15087 of 15287 Old 09-27-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I've already run into a snag. The contractor I was going with to do all of my low-voltage cabling doesn't do antenna installations. Any recommendations?
Have them run the cable then get someone else out to install the antenna.
aaronwt likes this.

Philip Hamm
post #15088 of 15287 Old 09-28-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
RedLeadered;
There was no mention exactly what your house is like. Is the "attic" a true direct walk up or is it a 'crawl space' thru a closet or hall ceiling access where you (try) to step on the ceiling joists to maneuver around?
A typical suburban 1 1/2 story, 'ranch' type that you can reach the walk-able roof with a 24' extension ladder?

The attic is a 'crawl space' through a ceiling access. Your words captured my attic antenna install experiences beautifully. Trying to step on ceiling joists to maneuver around, while crouching so as not to jab my head on the ends of nails sticking through the roof.

For what it's worth, I have tested almost every conceivable location in my attic. I think I have found the best spots for reaching Baltimore, D.C., and Harrisburg PA.

Thank you for your help!
post #15089 of 15287 Old 09-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Hello, RedLeadered

I suggest you try to improve your present attic antenna system for Baltimore, D.C. will never be perfect for you, even with an outdoor antenna because you are behind a hill for D.C. signals. If you click on the WTTG Transmitter Distance in your report, you will see this:

Thank you for your help! I must confess, I have no idea how to interpret that chart. What does it mean?
post #15090 of 15287 Old 09-28-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Try the HDB8X and AD CS5 combined with the UVSJ and both aimed at Baltimore. If the VHF channels aren't good enough, replace the CS5 with the 30-2475.

For D.C. try the HDB8X and 30-2475 with both aimed at D.C.

Is the 30-2475 a significant upgrade over the CS5? My attic space is limited and the CS5 does have a small profile, whereas the 30-2475 is much longer. In fact it is longer to the point where the tips of the dipoles will likely be touching the roof. I don't know if that is bad or not but I've read that you want to have some space between the wall/roof and the antenna.

Again thank you very much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page