Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 504 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 306Likes

post #15091 of 15256 Old 09-29-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLeadered View Post
Thank you for your help! I must confess, I have no idea how to interpret that chart. What does it mean?
Sorry I didn't make it clear. It means that signals from D.C. have a hard time getting to your antenna because there is a hill in the way. Is this any better?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedLeaderedAVSp3WTTGrev.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	2621310  
TheKrell likes this.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15092 of 15256 Old 09-29-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Is the 30-2475 a significant upgrade over the CS5?
Yes, a lot more gain.
Quote:
The attic is a 'crawl space' through a ceiling access. Your words captured my attic antenna install experiences beautifully. Trying to step on ceiling joists to maneuver around, while crouching so as not to jab my head on the ends of nails sticking through the roof.
That doesn't sound very safe. When I have to work in in attic like that, I put down sheets of plywood which is a lot of trouble, but not as much trouble as falling through.

Quote:
My attic space is limited and the CS5 does have a small profile, whereas the 30-2475 is much longer. In fact it is longer to the point where the tips of the dipoles will likely be touching the roof.

I don't know if that is bad or not but I've read that you want to have some space between the wall/roof and the antenna.
If the antenna is near metal, it can affect reception; if it's near wood you should be OK.

Did you try the HDB8X and AD CS5 combined with the UVSJ and both aimed at Baltimore, as I suggested?

I can't predict the result of a test for you; my crystal ball isn't that accurate. The choice is up to you.

If that combination isn't good enough for Baltimore, you can either try the HDB8X combined with the 30-2475, be happy with what you have in the attic, or make plans to put your antenna/antennas outside.

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html
post #15093 of 15256 Old 10-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there something unique or special about WJZ? I have a Dish Hopper 3 with OTA module and a roof antenna. I live in Laurel, almost exactly halfway between Baltimore and DC. My antenna is pointed towards Baltimore. When I run a scan, I pick up strong signals from both cities, on every channel except WJZ, which is nowhere to be found. I sure would like to get it in time for the Ravens/Steelers game on Sunday. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15094 of 15256 Old 10-04-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post
Is there something unique or special about WJZ? I have a Dish Hopper 3 with OTA module and a roof antenna. I live in Laurel, almost exactly halfway between Baltimore and DC. My antenna is pointed towards Baltimore. When I run a scan, I pick up strong signals from both cities, on every channel except WJZ, which is nowhere to be found. I sure would like to get it in time for the Ravens/Steelers game on Sunday. Any advice?

Nothing special from my perspective. If you get WBAL, WJZ should be doable - same tower and similar frequency. A minor antenna adjustment might fix it. For a quick fix to see that game, try a good old fashion rabbit ears antenna.
post #15095 of 15256 Old 10-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fri1038 View Post
Nothing special from my perspective. If you get WBAL, WJZ should be doable - same tower and similar frequency. A minor antenna adjustment might fix it. For a quick fix to see that game, try a good old fashion rabbit ears antenna.
Rabbit ears aren't going to cut it. My Hopper and TV are located in the basement on the south side of the house, and the north side is covered with aluminum siding for a near-perfect Faraday cage. No reception of anything down there. Need to use my roof antenna.
post #15096 of 15256 Old 10-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
A couple tidbits I read on http://dcrtv.com and http://baltomedia.net :

- WPXW should go to full power on RF35 on Oct 15 according to https://iontelevision.com/rescan

- WBAL and WJZ will run at reduced power on auxiliary transmitters on their repacked frequencies from May (repack delayed from March) for a couple months while they upgrade their primaries. (edit: corrected/clarified this sentence.)

And I drove by WMPT's tower just off I-97 in Crownsville the other day. Their new orange antenna really stands out. You can see a large side mounted antenna on the west side of the tower near the top - MPT's auxiliary? I reckon WQAW uses the smaller antennas half way down the tower given the challenge of receiving them just 9 miles away.

Some pics I found of the replacement process:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/news/...togallery.html
GaitherBill likes this.

Last edited by fri1038; 10-04-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #15097 of 15256 Old 10-04-2019, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hmm. Channel scans don't always go to perfection. They sometimes skip very viable TV stations. Since you probably did yours over and over, it might be a flaw in the tuner's software. Who knows how much quality control Dish Hopper 3 put into its OTA module. I have a manual tuning function on my TVs, so I rarely "scan for channels." Unfortunately, most TV models don't have that function. You may be able to force your tuner to go to RF channel 13 (WJZ) by inputting "13" on your remote. I have heard that works on some TV models, even without "manual tuning." Maybe it will work with your Dish Hopper.

If you eventually tune into RF 13, and the signal of WJZ is still not decoding, then there may be a longshot reason why it doesn't. Do you have a really strong FM radio station between 105 & 108 MHz broadcasting nearby? If so, it may be interfering with channel 13, because the channel's frequency range (210-216 MHz) would be on a harmonic of said FM station. If you can figure out if this is the case, a good FM trap for your antenna feed would be needed. I hope this helps.
post #15098 of 15256 Old 10-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I originally posted about this on February 7, 2018. Link to the page with my original post here. I was not sure how to pick this subject back up again as their were a lot of posts by several people. Which is the reason I posted the link to the page of the forum where the original post I made was.

I put up a Stellar Labs 30-2476 and an Antennas Direct DB-8e as suggested by @Jake V .

The Stellar Labs some what accomplished what I wanted it to. It pulls in channels 7 and 9 although at times the signal contains errors, some correctable some are not, according to the Hauppauge signal monitor. Sometimes one or the other or both are unwatchable. I have a Hauppauge tuner card in a custom built PVR.

With the DB-8e I am able to get ION (60), WDVM (25) (formerly WHAG), and MPT (31), but nothing else.

The antenna I replaced with the DB-8 in addition to the ones listed above (with exception to 7 and 9) I was also able to receive channels WMAR (2), NBC 4, Fox 5 DC, Univision (14) and Fox 5 Plus, and at times WDCW (50). The previous antenna had an amplifier. Would purchasing an amplifier aid in pulling these other channels in as well as helping with channels 7 an 9?

Jake mentioned to put the two panels on the DB-8e at a 90 degree angle to each other. Could I purchase another antenna like I had before and put them at 90 degrees to each other?

One thing that may be affecting the results of this project is I don't believe I have a good compass. The one I have I bought at Walmart for $5. Trying to use it I get erratic results. Seems like something is interfering with it. Anyone have a recommendation for a good one.

Updated TV Fool analysis results can be found here

Thank You again
post #15099 of 15256 Old 10-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Update:
I rotated my antenna about 20 degrees farther east, and it picked up WJZ weakly. I don't have a real-time signal strength meter to get it dialed in for maximum signal, but at least I'm in the ballpark. It looks like the only other conflict is in week 11, but BAL/HOU isn't as crucial a matchup as the steelers, so I can miss it in favor of what could be the game that decides who gets the first pick in the 2020 draft.
post #15100 of 15256 Old 10-07-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla1886 View Post
I originally posted about this on February 7, 2018. Link to the page with my original post here. I was not sure how to pick this subject back up again as their were a lot of posts by several people. Which is the reason I posted the link to the page of the forum where the original post I made was.

I put up a Stellar Labs 30-2476 and an Antennas Direct DB-8e as suggested by @Jake V .

The Stellar Labs some what accomplished what I wanted it to. It pulls in channels 7 and 9 although at times the signal contains errors, some correctable some are not, according to the Hauppauge signal monitor. Sometimes one or the other or both are unwatchable. I have a Hauppauge tuner card in a custom built PVR.

With the DB-8e I am able to get ION (60), WDVM (25) (formerly WHAG), and MPT (31), but nothing else.

The antenna I replaced with the DB-8 in addition to the ones listed above (with exception to 7 and 9) I was also able to receive channels WMAR (2), NBC 4, Fox 5 DC, Univision (14) and Fox 5 Plus, and at times WDCW (50). The previous antenna had an amplifier. Would purchasing an amplifier aid in pulling these other channels in as well as helping with channels 7 an 9?

Jake mentioned to put the two panels on the DB-8e at a 90 degree angle to each other. Could I purchase another antenna like I had before and put them at 90 degrees to each other?

One thing that may be affecting the results of this project is I don't believe I have a good compass. The one I have I bought at Walmart for $5. Trying to use it I get erratic results. Seems like something is interfering with it. Anyone have a recommendation for a good one.

Updated TV Fool analysis results can be found here

Thank You again
First of all, ditch TV Fool. Their database is two years out of date. Use RabbitEars.info instead. That website is up to date and has all the bells and whistles that TV fool has. Once you put your RabbitEars signal map up on this site, I'm sure there will be many antenna experts willing to help you.

BTW, do you have your antennas set up in your attic? If that is true and your attic is surrounded by or has metal in it, then that could cause a compass to act erratically and also negatively affect your TV reception. Do you have a smartphone? Mine (an iPhone) has a compass that you can set to true north.
post #15101 of 15256 Old 10-07-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in CT View Post
First of all, ditch TV Fool. Their database is two years out of date. Use RabbitEars.info instead. That website is up to date and has all the bells and whistles that TV fool has. Once you put your RabbitEars signal map up on this site, I'm sure there will be many antenna experts willing to help you.
Here is the link to my Rabbit Ears report

Quote:
BTW, do you have your antennas set up in your attic? If that is true and your attic is surrounded by or has metal in it, then that could cause a compass to act erratically and also negatively affect your TV reception. Do you have a smartphone? Mine (an iPhone) has a compass that you can set to true north.
No they are not in the attic. They are at the peak of my roof. I live in a 1 story ranch so the are approximately 30 feet or so off the ground. I want to measure but with work I have not had a chance.

I even tried taking my compass out in the middle of the street and still got erratic results.

I actually already had an app, Swiss Army Knife, on my phone that has a compass "applete". I use this app all the time, just not the compass so I forgot about it. It actually does what I was hoping, tells the actual degree it is facing so no guesswork like with my other one. It is only marked every 30 degrees, IE 30 degrees, 60, 90 etc, but there are only 5 notches between the markings. I guess I would be able to get close with it, but the app will be precise!

Thanks for the help and suggestions
post #15102 of 15256 Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I live in Fairfax and I can point my rooftop antenna at Washington and get Baltimore just fine. MPT occasionally breaks up, though. Do you have the newest dual tuner USB adapter from Dish? It runs cooler and is more sensitive than the old dual-tuner or single-tuner adapter. I bought mine from AirTV since it's only $30 and has the same guts. The only difference is it's white.
post #15103 of 15256 Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
I live in Fairfax and I can point my rooftop antenna at Washington and get Baltimore just fine. MPT occasionally breaks up, though. Do you have the newest dual tuner USB adapter from Dish? It runs cooler and is more sensitive than the old dual-tuner or single-tuner adapter. I bought mine from AirTV since it's only $30 and has the same guts. The only difference is it's white.
I don't know what kind it is. Dish was offering a promotion earlier this year for a free module, antenna, and installation. I didn't need the antenna since my roof antenna is much better, so he just installed the USB module. He messed up the cabling on my HDMI switch box and unplugged my external hard drive without telling me, so the overall experience was less than ideal.
post #15104 of 15256 Old 10-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't know what kind it is. Dish was offering a promotion earlier this year for a free module, antenna, and installation. I didn't need the antenna since my roof antenna is much better, so he just installed the USB module. He messed up the cabling on my HDMI switch box and unplugged my external hard drive without telling me, so the overall experience was less than ideal.
Good grief! One wonders why they unplugged your EHD. That makes no sense since the H3 has 2 USB ports on the back and one more on the front. I think only one of them (bottom/back?) is USB3... Maybe he thought that was where the USB adapter goes and unplugged your EHD and failed to plug it back in again.

I have read good things on Satelliteguys.US regarding the Televes Diginova Boss antenna: https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=144180. Why do you think your antenna is better than that one? The Televes is considered a "medium directional" antenna. Perhaps yours has a more peaked sensitivity distribution.
post #15105 of 15256 Old 10-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post
Good grief! One wonders why they unplugged your EHD. That makes no sense since the H3 has 2 USB ports on the back and one more on the front. I think only one of them (bottom/back?) is USB3... Maybe he thought that was where the USB adapter goes and unplugged your EHD and failed to plug it back in again.

I have read good things on Satelliteguys.US regarding the Televes Diginova Boss antenna: https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=144180. Why do you think your antenna is better than that one? The Televes is considered a "medium directional" antenna. Perhaps yours has a more peaked sensitivity distribution.
My H3 is in a stand, so he probably unplugged it to move it out, but forgetting to plug it back in, or even telling me so I could do it myself is unforgivable. At first I thought the drive had failed and I lost all my recordings. The switch box was even more egregious though, because all the cables were connected. He had plugged the output cable into one of the unused input ports, so when i tried to change my TV to input from the switch box, I got nothing.
post #15106 of 15256 Old 10-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Here is the link to my Rabbit Ears report
Wow, you are almost 60 miles from the D.C. TV transmitters. Just so you know, I'm no antenna guru, but I do know that your Stellar Labs antenna receiving the UHF D.C. stations from that far away (and over a ridge to your SE) is a great achievement. I'm assuming you are receiving these signals by "knife edge diffraction." In case you didn't know, if you click on the mileage under "transmitter distance" on your signal report, you will get a terrain profile between you and the transmitter for that station. On many of the D.C. stations you can see exactly how you were receiving them with a blue line. Unfortunately, there are NO reception models that can accurately predict the field strength of diffracted TV signals. So those numbers can be off for the better... or worse.

The bottom line is yes, you will definitely need an low noise preamplifier to receive any TV stations from D.C. RF channels 7 & 9 will only be improved by an antenna with a high VHF gain, and your DB-8e probably won't cut it, since it has mostly UHF elements (from what I see). The fact that your Stellar Labs VHF antenna pulled in some UHF stations from D.C. is a bonus.

If it were me, I would get a duel band (VHF-Hi/UHF) antenna with a deep fringe rating for both bands and a preamp. I wouldn't want to deal with two antennas if I don't have to. Just remember, this will end up being one BIG antenna. Keep the receipts just in case you need to return everything, and of course, make sure you are allowed to return it from where you got it to begin with. Of course, you can keep the two that you have and point the Stellar Labs at D.C. and the other pointed at whatever UHF station(s) you want.

That is all I can think of. Just beware that you might be asking too much to receive even more of the stations from D.C. Good luck with your endeavor.

Last edited by Brian in CT; 10-08-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #15107 of 15256 Old 10-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Unless I missed it no one responded to the question about antennas for ATSC 3.0

I'm not an expert, and don't know the details of ATSC 3.0, but it is unlikely that it will require or be optimized for a different antenna, because the frequency ranges allocated to TV will probably still be the same.

Just like there is no difference between the old school NTSC antenna and the new school ATSC 1 and ATSC 2 antenna. If you were told otherwise, it was just marketing. It is conceivable the signal strength needs to be a little stronger to get a signal you can see and hear, just as it was for ATSC 1.0, but that just means you should get a good antenna.
Philip Hamm and TheKrell like this.
post #15108 of 15256 Old 10-11-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post
Unless I missed it no one responded to the question about antennas for ATSC 3.0

I'm not an expert, and don't know the details of ATSC 3.0, but it is unlikely that it will require or be optimized for a different antenna, because the frequency ranges allocated to TV will probably still be the same.

Just like there is no difference between the old school NTSC antenna and the new school ATSC 1 and ATSC 2 antenna. If you were told otherwise, it was just marketing. It is conceivable the signal strength needs to be a little stronger to get a signal you can see and hear, just as it was for ATSC 1.0, but that just means you should get a good antenna.
I get a kick out of seeing "HD antenna" or "digital." It's just a plain ol' antenna.

BTW, there is/was no ATSC 2.0. It jumped from 1.0 to 3.0...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #15109 of 15256 Old 10-16-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Sorry I didn't make it clear. It means that signals from D.C. have a hard time getting to your antenna because there is a hill in the way. Is this any better?

That is much clearer. Your labels really helped me understand. Looks like there is a big hill between my house and the tower! Not sure how I'm going to fix that. Maybe concentrating on improving Baltimore reception or Harrisburg reception would be better.

Thank you again for your help.
Philip Hamm likes this.
post #15110 of 15256 Old 10-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My CM-7000 is showing Justice on 9-1 and no other WUSA channels (re-scanning didn't help). However my flat-panel TV isn't having any problems.

What's going on with WUSA?
post #15111 of 15256 Old 10-17-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie20 View Post
My CM-7000 is showing Justice on 9-1 and no other WUSA channels (re-scanning didn't help). However my flat-panel TV isn't having any problems.

What's going on with WUSA?
Something's wrong with the PSIP. Both CBS and Justice are showing as 9-1 WUSA-HD right now.

EDIT: I just called and notified someone.

- Trip
Philip Hamm likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #15112 of 15256 Old 10-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Liked: 17
Red face

Quote:
That is much clearer. Your labels really helped me understand. Looks like there is a big hill between my house and the tower! Not sure how I'm going to fix that. Maybe concentrating on improving Baltimore reception or Harrisburg reception would be better.

Thank you again for your help.
Reading this made me look at my house on rabbitears.com. Some of the stations I get great show up as behind a hill, but the hill isn't right near my house it's much further away.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=21286

A bunch of stations that show up as "Fair" come up GREAT in my location using separate Channel Master UHF and VHF antennas in my attic and a Channel Master 8 port amplifier/distribution box. I would love to get some of the "Poor" stations.

I'm using this guy:

Early in the DTV transition when the stations were broadcasting both analog and digital I was able to get 11 and 13 fairly well here in Ashburn but when they moved to their permanent digital only location I lost both. :-(

The Channel Master online antenna finder tool indicated that I may be able to get 11 with a "preamp" in my attic near the antenna.

Philip Hamm
post #15113 of 15256 Old 10-21-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Any chance you could mount that distribution amp somewhere else that isn't right on top of the electrical wiring? I find there's a lot of noise when you're that close to the electrical wiring, which might affect your chances of getting those "poor" VHF stations.

You might want to replace some of those connectors with compression ones too since that's another spot where noise can get in.

Unfortunately analog and digital have different levels of acceptable. What was a snowy but watchable distant signal during the analog era isn't a clean enough signal for digital. Then you throw in multipath issues, and what would be minor ghosting on analog is enough to cancel out the digital signal. Plus VHF is a lot more affected by noise related electrical interference than UHF, something that only got worse in the past decade with the rise of cheap off-brand LED light bulbs and poorly shielded power supplies.

Last edited by KyL416; 10-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #15114 of 15256 Old 10-21-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm View Post
I'm using this guy:

The Channel Master online antenna finder tool indicated that I may be able to get 11 with a "preamp" in my attic near the antenna.
Considering you use an 8-way signal splitter, you should definitely get a preamp for your antenna if you want any chance of getting those "poor" signal TV stations. With a two way splitter, you lose about 3.5 dB of signal strength after the split. With a four way, it's 7 dB. So in your case, by using an 8-way, your signal loss for each line is 14 dB. That is a lot of loss after the gain you get from your antennas.

Unfortunately, your antennas are in your attic. That's bad for preamps because they have a temperature range they need to be in to operate correctly. Most attics on hot summer days can easily exceed 140 degrees. That would put the preamps I know of outside their operational range.

The bottom line is that you will probably need a rooftop instillation (with preamp) to receive channels 11 & 13 from Baltimore. That is usually what's needed to receive any "poor" signal as listed in one of Rabbit Ears signal "results list."
post #15115 of 15256 Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Red face

Quote:
Considering you use an 8-way signal splitter, you should definitely get a preamp for your antenna if you want any chance of getting those "poor" signal TV stations. With a two way splitter, you lose about 3.5 dB of signal strength after the split. With a four way, it's 7 dB. So in your case, by using an 8-way, your signal loss for each line is 14 dB. That is a lot of loss after the gain you get from your antennas.
I don't think there's any loss that matters. It's a powered distribution amplifier. See that little green LED - that means it's plugged in and powered.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenn..._p/cm-3418.htm
Quote:
Unfortunately, your antennas are in your attic. That's bad for preamps because they have a temperature range they need to be in to operate correctly. Most attics on hot summer days can easily exceed 140 degrees. That would put the preamps I know of outside their operational range.

The bottom line is that you will probably need a rooftop instillation (with preamp) to receive channels 11 & 13 from Baltimore. That is usually what's needed to receive any "poor" signal as listed in one of Rabbit Ears signal "results list."
I don't think I'll bother. I get all the "Fair" stations perfectly for the most part, and that's enough. I liked having another CBS option for Sunday football back in the day when that worked, but I don't really watch football enough these days to care about that. I get a jillion channels OTA perfectly including what really matters to me: clean PBS signals.

Philip Hamm

Last edited by Philip Hamm; 10-22-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #15116 of 15256 Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm View Post
I don't think there's any loss that matters. It's a powered distribution amplifier. See that little green LED - that means it's plugged in and powered.
Ahh! I can't believe I missed seeing that telltale green light. Great choice in equipment. I'm curious though, how does it hold up when your attic is really hot? I've never used any sort of powered splitter/distribution device, so I'm not sure how they handle the heat.

I have a rooftop antenna with a preamp. Before I had the preamp installed, I used a line amp in my attic before splitting the signal. That didn't last long. The line amp would DIE on hot summer days, weakening my reception (this was in the analog era).
Philip Hamm likes this.
post #15117 of 15256 Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 AM

Red face

Quote:
Ahh! I can't believe I missed seeing that telltale green light. Great choice in equipment. I'm curious though, how does it hold up when your attic is really hot? I've never used any sort of powered splitter/distribution device, so I'm not sure how they handle the heat.

I have a rooftop antenna with a preamp. Before I had the preamp installed, I used a line amp in my attic before splitting the signal. That didn't last long. The line amp would DIE on hot summer days, weakening my reception (this was in the analog era).
It's in the basement. A cable comes down from the attic to the basement and that's where the distro is.

Philip Hamm
post #15118 of 15256 Old 10-24-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
FYI New sub channel on WUSA 9,
Quest on 9.3

www.questtv.com/
dleedlee likes this.
post #15119 of 15256 Old 10-26-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
[URL="https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=17880"]I even tried taking my compass out in the middle of the street and still got erratic results.
I suggest you base your directions on a local map (e.g., maps.google.com), and the orientation of the streets, rather than a magnetic compass, because there are many reasons why a magnetic compass might not point to true north at any given location.

If you are an astronomy buff, you could instead use The North Star - which is pretty close to true north.

A still better method, if your TV (or DVR) has a signal strength detection mode, is to connect it to the antenna, and see which direction gives the strongest and most reliable signal.
post #15120 of 15256 Old 10-28-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Friends 5 stories up next door to [ex]Intelstat wanted to dump FIO$.

I got them a bow-tie, we hung it in the window, and bingo 99 1/3 OTR channels.
They unplugged their Samsung in May, came back from their summer place, & it had forgotten the scan.

They rescanned and it found lots of channels but *not* WETA.
Defaulted the set to factory and tried again, still NFG.

I can't imagine why that is, unless WETA has dropped to QRP signal levels or such.
I recall WETA moved RF frequency but did they also move transmitter location?
They can get 22 but WETA has Newshour at 7pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page