post #10561 of 13123 Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithOTA View Post
Gil, was it WWMT-3 out of Grand Rapids? They are also on RF 8, and I was able to get them last night, along with a few other GRs and SBs.
You know what...it could have been...but I am not sure since I can't remember this morning. Until I know for sure, I took down my post.

EDIT: Yep, it was them, thanks, Lith. Rats...thought I had a really good one there. Of course, WWMT isn't a bad catch at all, but I forgot it's channels 9 and 10 that have them. I was getting blips on 9, and 10 was a mess, and just not strong enough to confirm.

Gilbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10562 of 13123 Old 08-19-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone notice issues with the ota signal for wgn tv... it seems to have become week and unreliable... not sure what the problem is... could it have something to do with any construction going on at the sears/ willis tower with other tv stations installing there new antenna's...
post #10563 of 13123 Old 08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yeah, I was watching Married With Children on 9-2 and it broke up to all hell last night. I'm in Northbrook. I figured it was WXMI causing some co-channel interference or something though I could not get any WXMI video. I just saw serious freezing and macroblocking on WGN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10564 of 13123 Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That was tropo causing that. I was getting Grand Rapids and Madison last night, both of which have channel 19's in their markets to interfere with WGN.

Gilbert
post #10565 of 13123 Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post

Will be back up later in the week. Had to move antenna while our WCIU-DT antenna goes in. (tried rabbit ears in the window but kept cooking them)

is this the fabled elliptical polarized antenna that was foretold many moons ago?

mainly i never saw any mention of it actually being installed and used

kd9fz
comments. criticisms and questions of sanity are always welcome
post #10566 of 13123 Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Getting WNDU from South Bend all the way up in Grayslake with a terk hdtva on top of a bookcase right now, heh.
post #10567 of 13123 Old 08-20-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The new and improved WCIU is now on the air as of 4a CDT. 3x the power and a new antenna. The new antenna should give better in building penetration due to it's horizontal and vertical polarity. (and the extra 430kw helps too) I didn't take any baseline readings from my house before the switch but curious if anyone has any before/after readings. PM's or reply's are fine.

"Celebrating over 20 years of creating new and inovative ways to completely screw up you television programming!"

Disclaimer: My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my employer
post #10568 of 13123 Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Schaumburg, common antenna for multiple apartments, DTT901. Doesn't seem noticeably different. Mostly just below or under the 'G' of Good. In fact, 23.x is identical. 48 is lower.
post #10569 of 13123 Old 08-20-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WCIU used to vary between 70%-90% on the signal quality meter on my DTT-900 converter box. This morning, it was 90%+...pretty much pegged to the wall!

Also, as of yesterday, I started getting WMEU-LD (32) much better as well. Locking it constantly at 55% signal...that hasn't happened before.

Gilbert
post #10570 of 13123 Old 08-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

At 45 miles out, I don't see any difference for WCIU on antennas that are pointed at Chicago; however, I see a big jump in signal level when the big 91XG is pointed at Milwaukee. Previously, it could not get any lock at all, but now it produces a steady 50-60% signal.
WMEU seems a little stronger to me also.
post #10571 of 13123 Old 08-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here's my spectrum analyser picture of WCIU in Woodstock. Sorry, didnt snap a "before" shot.
LL
post #10572 of 13123 Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just cross my fingers that I don't start having more problems with WCIU. People on the Illinois side will see big improvements, but on the Indiana side, the signal is so directional that it's now weaker than before the upgrade. Those in parts of Porter County & all of LaPorte County will now have interference issues with WCWW-LD being on RF 27, & running the full 15kw non-directional. Most antenna users in those 2 counties have a combo antenna pointed at Chicago, & a UHF only antenna pointed at South Bend. I may end up having to keep a pre-amp on my antenna in order to keep some kind of a signal with WCIU. I'm already looking to get another antenna setup at the other end of my home in order to watch TV on my laptop in HD. I already have the antenna, but I now have to get mounting supplies to get it up. It's a temporary antenna, but will eventually become my Grandma's antenna. My local Lowes clearance priced their RCA ANT 3020X antennas. They were originally selling it for around $68.00 (estimated price), but it was marked all the way down to $13.22. My next ones will be higher quality, while this one will satisfy my Grandma for just the Chicago channels. When I say better quality, I mean something from Winegard or Antennacraft (Winegard first) & will look at having antennas for getting Chicago stations, plus South Bend's 5 full power stations (4 I would even watch, as WHME-TV is of no interest).
post #10573 of 13123 Old 08-21-2011, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LithOTA View Post

At 45 miles out, I don't see any difference for WCIU on antennas that are pointed at Chicago; however, I see a big jump in signal level when the big 91XG is pointed at Milwaukee.

No big difference here in C.L., as far as SS. My TiVo HD shows 85%, which is about the same as before.

Yeah, the Milwaukee's are booming in.
post #10574 of 13123 Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

WQRF-DT rf 42 (39.1) Rockford is off the air for maintenance. For the first time in a long time, WNDU-DT is booming in as a result (on the same frequency, rf 42). I see they only have one sub now... and only an SD version of their HD channel.

Gilbert
post #10575 of 13123 Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

WQRF-DT rf 42 (39.1) Rockford is off the air for maintenance. For the first time in a long time, WNDU-DT is booming in as a result (on the same frequency, rf 42). I see they only have one sub now... and only an SD version of their HD channel.

When I picked up WNDU last year (now one of the most difficult on RF 42 than on RF 16), all I saw was an SD version of the HD channel. Supposedly, they would rather run an SD version of the channel for cable companies, rather than sending an SD version to the cable company, or make the cable company convert the channel to SD. Because of that, it limits choices in subchannels in that market. WSBT is about the only station that has alternate programming on their subchannel. WNIT mostly run off the bird of the national PBS feed. When they do run PBS programming locally, it's on the subchannel. But when I get WNIT, they're mostly on the PBS East feed, with 34.2 being zoomed in (hate that).
post #10576 of 13123 Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

WSBT is about the only station that has alternate programming on their subchannel. WNIT mostly run off the bird of the national PBS feed. When they do run PBS programming locally, it's on the subchannel. But when I get WNIT, they're mostly on the PBS East feed, with 34.2 being zoomed in (hate that).

Life has changed.

WNIT was a 24x7 HD national feed on 34.1 and local on 34.2 but that changed early this year. Now local SD is upconverted on 34.1 and 34.2 is a second feed ("InFocus") that occasionally shows different programming. WSBT still runs their SBT2 channel (originally the UPN affiliate but now a good alternate programming feed) and the market's only weather channel. WSJV added Livewell as 28.2, WCWW added ThisTV as 25.2 and WBND has MeTV as 57.2. WHME has the national Harvest network back on 46.2.

So out of five full power and three "low power" stations there are five with separate subchannels (although 34.2 isn't very separate). Still 12+ unique subchannels on 8 OTA channels.
post #10577 of 13123 Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM

With my laptop and netbooks with built in ATSC tuners and Silver Sensors located in Lincoln Park, Uptown, NW Side, and downtown.

No difference. WCIU and the subs are the weakest stations next to WYCC. So the upgrade made no difference, in the dense city areas of Chicago
post #10578 of 13123 Old 08-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post

Life has changed.

WNIT was a 24x7 HD national feed on 34.1 and local on 34.2 but that changed early this year. Now local SD is upconverted on 34.1 and 34.2 is a second feed ("InFocus") that occasionally shows different programming. WSBT still runs their SBT2 channel (originally the UPN affiliate but now a good alternate programming feed) and the market's only weather channel. WSJV added Livewell as 28.2, WCWW added ThisTV as 25.2 and WBND has MeTV as 57.2. WHME has the national Harvest network back on 46.2.

So out of five full power and three "low power" stations there are five with separate subchannels (although 34.2 isn't very separate). Still 12+ unique subchannels on 8 OTA channels.

After looking online about WNIT, I wonder when they removed the 24 hour PBS feed & moved the local WNIT to 34.1. IN Focus (as WNIT is calling it) is actually The Indiana Channel. If I had access to my TV right now, I'd check to see if The Indiana Channel has come to WYIN. WYIN still has 2 subchannels to fill. I wonder if the programs on The Indiana Channel are 4:3 or 16:9 (So far, no Indiana PBS station has made this channel HD, which is why I used aspect ratio). All 4 channels of WYIN are setup for 16:9 ratio. So if the channel is 4:3, then bars are either on both sides, the channel will have to be upconverted (if any of the programs were recorded on 16:9 equipment), or the subchannel WYIN chooses be downconverted to 4:3 (56.2 will however remain 720p HD).
post #10579 of 13123 Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:

After looking online about WNIT, I wonder when they removed the 24 hour PBS feed & moved the local WNIT to 34.1. IN Focus (as WNIT is calling it) is actually The Indiana Channel.

Bear in mind that the Indiana Channel only consists of six hours of programming weekly from what I can tell (4-7PM Tuesday and Thursday). The rest of the time is for the station to fill on its own. WFYI is airing it on their Create subchannel, while WTIU is airing it on their World subchannel.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10580 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Bear in mind that the Indiana Channel only consists of six hours of programming weekly from what I can tell (4-7PM Tuesday and Thursday). The rest of the time is for the station to fill on its own. WFYI is airing it on their Create subchannel, while WTIU is airing it on their World subchannel.

- Trip

Then I will take a look at 56.3 to see if the Indiana Channel is being shown there. I know on a couple of occasions, WYIN interrupted their PBS Kids Go programming for some locally produced shows, as they had some high school sports on the main channel (done on a Saturday afternoon twice). With WYIN still needing to figure out what will go on 56.2 & 56.4, maybe they should use one of those 2 channels for the Indiana Channel, instead of interrupting PBS Kids Go on 56.3.
post #10581 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

After looking online about WNIT, I wonder when they removed the 24 hour PBS feed & moved the local WNIT to 34.1.

http://wnit.org/programs/index.shtml

Effective January 10, WNIT is pleased to introduce a new channel to its viewers, WNIT InFocus. WNIT InFocus presents many of the programs you are used to seeing on WNIT's high definition channel, plus an exciting array of in-depth programs revolving around Indiana business and government. WNIT InFocus will be broadcast as channel 34.2.

Quote:

IN Focus (as WNIT is calling it) is actually The Indiana Channel.

Some content on 34.2 may also be on "The Indiana Channel" but it seems misleading to say that 34.2 is "The Indiana Channel" when nearly all of its content is not from that feed.
post #10582 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Then I will take a look at 56.3 to see if the Indiana Channel is being shown there. I know on a couple of occasions, WYIN interrupted their PBS Kids Go programming for some locally produced shows, as they had some high school sports on the main channel (done on a Saturday afternoon twice). With WYIN still needing to figure out what will go on 56.2 & 56.4, maybe they should use one of those 2 channels for the Indiana Channel, instead of interrupting PBS Kids Go on 56.3.
they have been trying to figure out what do do for 2 years now... They are renaming their station to Purgatory Public TV. They are taking the lead from WLS and simulcasting the same program on multiple subchannels in case you are more of a -2, or -3, or -4 type of person.

Why not NOAA Weather on there like Twin Cities Public TV or Milwaukee Public TV? Then again, sometimes I am surprised they are still in operation to be honest.
post #10583 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post
they have been trying to figure out what do do for 2 years now... They are renaming their station to Purgatory Public TV. They are taking the lead from WLS and simulcasting the same program on multiple subchannels in case you are more of a -2, or -3, or -4 type of person.

Why not NOAA Weather on there like Twin Cities Public TV or Milwaukee Public TV? Then again, sometimes I am surprised they are still in operation to be honest.
You forgot to mention WYCC, who also simulcasts on 20.2. WLS-TV only simulcasts Livewell Network (corporate decision & not WLS-TV themselves).

As for WYIN, I wonder how much longer they will stay on the air. Had they not got a grant to upgrade their equipment, they would have been off the air by June 12th 2009. The money get get from CPB & money from pledge drives prevented them from relocating in Chicago, which would have given them more viewers (maybe some additional pledge dollars). That even prevented them from being able to continue carrying Create (WYIN stated in an e-mail to me that it was money & not because WTTW is also carry them, since some markets have 2 PBS stations carrying Create). With NW Indiana on an overall economic decline (they've always been on an economic decline), WYIN might suffer the same fate that WCAE (then on 50, the old non-commercial channel) did back in 1983 when Lake Central High School was forced to go off the air. Wikipedia states 1984 as the year they went off the air, but I remember 1983, because I was turning my channel knob past 50 one day, & noticed nothing. It remained that way until WPWR-TV was running tests on the channel in late 1986, using the WCAE call letters until January 18 1987, when WPWR-TV moved their programming there from 60.
post #10584 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalurker View Post
Some content on 34.2 may also be on "The Indiana Channel" but it seems misleading to say that 34.2 is "The Indiana Channel" when nearly all of its content is not from that feed.
I was playing with this question myself when I updated RabbitEars. I list WPWR and WMYS as "My Network TV" even though My Network TV only provides 10 hours per week of programming. Is it really all that different to say that WNIT is an affiliate of Indiana Channel?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10585 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 898
WCIU is coming in stronger for me out in Woodstock. The signal meter is an extra 3-4 bars on my tv. Sweet!
post #10586 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

You forgot to mention WYCC, who also simulcasts on 20.2.

You both overlooked WXFT, who simulcast in SD on 60.2, and the Weigel stations, who duplicate 26.4 on 48.1 and 26.3 on 23.1, 23.2, and 23.3.  (I'm inferring that 23.2 and 23.3 are the same data stream as 23.1.)
post #10587 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

You both overlooked WXFT, who simulcast in SD on 60.2, and the Weigel stations, who duplicate 26.4 on 48.1 and 26.3 on 23.1, 23.2, and 23.3.* (I'm inferring that 23.2 and 23.3 are the same data stream as 23.1.)

...which is a great reason to broadcast more LP duplicate crap on RF 33, RF 25, RF 35, RF 46, RF 22, Rf 34, etc. The goal is maximizing the number of simulcasts with the same programming in the same city, right? Who needs adjacent markets with different programming?

I'm hoping we get 3 versions of CBS, FOX, and MyN: HD, SD, and 3D. What's with them anyways? Jeez.
post #10588 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 04:14 PM

does anyone know when the wbbm ( channel 2, rf 12) subs are suppose to launch. i would think with fall tv starting in the next couple of weeks that they would launch then.
post #10589 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I was playing with this question myself when I updated RabbitEars. I list WPWR and WMYS as "My Network TV" even though My Network TV only provides 10 hours per week of programming. Is it really all that different to say that WNIT is an affiliate of Indiana Channel?
The primary affiliation is PBS, even on 34.2.

MyTV has a larger network of stations with no other nameable affiliation.
post #10590 of 13123 Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs10trk View Post
The new and improved WCIU is now on the air as of 4a CDT. 3x the power and a new antenna. The new antenna should give better in building penetration due to it's horizontal and vertical polarity. (and the extra 430kw helps too) I didn't take any baseline readings from my house before the switch but curious if anyone has any before/after readings. PM's or reply's are fine.
fwiw, the 26.1 signal is coming in here at about 5% to 8% higher than before....this is on a tiny 'uhf only' attic mounted antenna (about 20 feet above ground level) with no amps and about 10 miles southwest of SEARS/WILLIS tower....

and as at least one other poster here said, 23.1 comes in at a similar or only slightly lower signal level....so my question is, how can that possibly be? shouldnt 26.1 be booming in compared to 23.1? and if i am remembering correctly, before 26.1's power increase it was only about 1% to 3% higher than 23.1....

if i am understanding all this correctly, 26.1 is transmitting at a huge 600 kw power level and 23.1 is only at a lowly 15 kw level!?! i think the transmit antenna heights are probably the same or very similar for both signals so it seems 26.1 is getting very little benefit from a much higher power bill and a more sophisticated antenna design....what am i missing in this equation?

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
digital audio , wrjk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page