Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Thanks!

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12182 of 13123 Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonline View Post
Hello - I am hoping you folks can help me out. I am looking to install an antenna in my attic. I live out in Rt59 Naperville area. I would like to drop the line from the attic to the basement where I have like a homerun connection. Please advise which antenna and other equipment I should look to purchase to get quality reception (especially CBS). Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not too far from you. I'm off Eola Road by Waubonsie HS and I get fantastic reception.

Currently, I have a Winegard HD7694P in my attic above my 2 story house, pointed towards Chicago. I had been using a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp, but when it died after 10 years, I replaced it with an AntennaCraft 10G212. I run 3 drops from the output of the pre-amp: upstairs bedroom, main floor family room, and basement family room, unfortunately all with RG-59, rather than the newer and better RG-6 coax cable. Still, with this setup, as I said, I get fantastic reception. The only things I don't get reliably are the low-power digitals. Still, in this market, my scan turns up roughly 70 channels, of which I keep about 30 in my favorites.

Winegard makes larger members of the 769x family, which would provide a little more gain. The 7694 is remarkably compact, so it will work in just about any space, even an attic crowded with trusses.
post #12183 of 13123 Old 10-24-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwojciechowski View Post
I'm not too far from you. I'm off Eola Road by Waubonsie HS and I get fantastic reception.

Currently, I have a Winegard HD7694P in my attic above my 2 story house, pointed towards Chicago. I had been using a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp, but when it died after 10 years, I replaced it with an AntennaCraft 10G212. I run 3 drops from the output of the pre-amp: upstairs bedroom, main floor family room, and basement family room, unfortunately all with RG-59, rather than the newer and better RG-6 coax cable. Still, with this setup, as I said, I get fantastic reception. The only things I don't get reliably are the low-power digitals. Still, in this market, my scan turns up roughly 70 channels, of which I keep about 30 in my favorites.

Winegard makes larger members of the 769x family, which would provide a little more gain. The 7694 is remarkably compact, so it will work in just about any space, even an attic crowded with trusses.
I looked at the AntennaCraft 10G212 preamp instructions & noticed it said not to mount the power supply in the attic, but I have no idea why not. Are you running your 3 drops using a splitter in the attic & located inbetween the preamp & power supply (presumably located inside your house)? Or did you also put the power supply in the attic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12184 of 13123 Old 10-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Dan - Thanks! You are close by. So help me understand this 3 drops you mentioned. How would I go about doing it or did you outsource this job to someone (contact details)? I have a similar set-up as you. Is it possible to send it to one spot and then it gets distributed from there?
post #12185 of 13123 Old 10-27-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Having some odd TV drops after 6 years of flawless signal -

ABC 7 (Chicago) I DVR Castle on Monday's at 9pm. Last 2 Monday's the last 10 minutes of the show experiences a lot of pixelating and drops. I'm watching signal on the HDHomeRun. The one recording now seems to be around 87-90% signal quality while the other tuner drops as low as 73% for the same channel. All other channels are pegged at 100% signal quality.

Anyone else noticing issues with ABC?

CBS 2 (Chicago) - we record a handful of shows on this station. However Scorpion experiences similar drops at the last 10-15 minutes of the show each week. No other night/time of week has this issue.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

Bob

Bob
post #12186 of 13123 Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcrane View Post
Having some odd TV drops after 6 years of flawless signal -

ABC 7 (Chicago) I DVR Castle on Monday's at 9pm. Last 2 Monday's the last 10 minutes of the show experiences a lot of pixelating and drops. I'm watching signal on the HDHomeRun. The one recording now seems to be around 87-90% signal quality while the other tuner drops as low as 73% for the same channel. All other channels are pegged at 100% signal quality.

Anyone else noticing issues with ABC?

CBS 2 (Chicago) - we record a handful of shows on this station. However Scorpion experiences similar drops at the last 10-15 minutes of the show each week. No other night/time of week has this issue.

Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

Bob
I just watched Scorpion & there were no dropouts on my HTPC which uses a pair of AverMedia Duet tuner cards. Do not recall any problems from prior weeks either. Never had a problem with Castle either. That being said, every once in a while I might get a very brief pixelation on a channel but I chalk it up to the weather or a transmission problem.
post #12187 of 13123 Old 10-28-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I loaded new software for my HDHomeRun's and it automatically upgraded the unit to the latest firmware. Beginning to wonder if thats the culprit.

Biggest problem will be figuring out which firmware I was on.

Thanks for the feedback Mike99.

Bob
post #12188 of 13123 Old 11-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
What am I missing? I live in River North/Gold Coast and I can't seem to get any channels with the following indoor antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a direct, line of sight window view from the 21st floor of my apartment of the Willis Tower and my reception is horrible. Any help appreciated.
post #12189 of 13123 Old 11-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyitalian1988 View Post
What am I missing? I live in River North/Gold Coast and I can't seem to get any channels with the following indoor antenna:

I have a direct, line of sight window view from the 21st floor of my apartment of the Willis Tower and my reception is horrible. Any help appreciated.

Try a straightened paper clip. If that works, the antenna is defective. This presumes that you have a TV with a digital tuner and that you have also properly programmed it for use with an antenna.

Otherwise, construction materials can be at fault. I've seen low-E glass with metallic coating that acted almost like a mirror for TV signals. Aluminum window screens can do the same thing.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #12190 of 13123 Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyitalian1988 View Post

I tried a "flat" antenna in my office and had no luck against a window. But when placed randomly, lying flat on some file folders I had reasonable reception. But I had better results with the classic $10 Rabbit Ears + UHF Loop. Moving an old fashioned antenna around on its base is a good way to find the magic spot for good reception. Even though the fashion police do not approve...
post #12191 of 13123 Old 11-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hoping for some antenna help. I live in Wheaton (60189) and I am looking to add an antenna in the attic of my two story home. My channel needs are the network stations broadcasting from Chicago proper. TVFOOL says these stations are in the light green category for my area, so reception should be okay.

I contacted Winegard and they suggested an FL5000 (looks like a flat indoor antenna). I asked about an HD7694P antenna and they thought it would be too much and I would over power with that antenna.

Everything I've read says you'll lose signal with the antenna in the attic, and indoor antennas leave much to be desired. What gives? Being in the attic I thought I'd have to get some monster 12 foot antenna to overcome any loss through the roof.

My roof is 1/2-inch plywood, roofing felt and one layer of an architectural shingle. Its wide open up there, no duct, no trusses, just conventionally framed. The height of the antenna in the attic might be 20-25 feet above the outside ground. I imagine 50-100 feet max worth of RG-6 cable. The cable runs to a 2008 Sony TV, the model # escapes me.

Right now I am testing the waters to possibly "cut the cable" down the road. Lots has changed over the last few years since TV went digital. Stations have changed frequencies and powered up or down. Seems a lot of posts about station signal older than 2010 may not apply.

Please help me understand! Thanks.
post #12192 of 13123 Old 11-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUM72 View Post
Hoping for some antenna help. I live in Wheaton (60189) and I am looking to add an antenna in the attic of my two story home. My channel needs are the network stations broadcasting from Chicago proper. TVFOOL says these stations are in the light green category for my area, so reception should be okay.

I contacted Winegard and they suggested an FL5000 (looks like a flat indoor antenna). I asked about an HD7694P antenna and they thought it would be too much and I would over power with that antenna.

Everything I've read says you'll lose signal with the antenna in the attic, and indoor antennas leave much to be desired. What gives? Being in the attic I thought I'd have to get some monster 12 foot antenna to overcome any loss through the roof.

My roof is 1/2-inch plywood, roofing felt and one layer of an architectural shingle. Its wide open up there, no duct, no trusses, just conventionally framed. The height of the antenna in the attic might be 20-25 feet above the outside ground. I imagine 50-100 feet max worth of RG-6 cable. The cable runs to a 2008 Sony TV, the model # escapes me.

Right now I am testing the waters to possibly "cut the cable" down the road. Lots has changed over the last few years since TV went digital. Stations have changed frequencies and powered up or down. Seems a lot of posts about station signal older than 2010 may not apply.

Please help me understand! Thanks.

I'm starting to wonder if Winegard doesn't care as much about outdoor antennas anymore, that they'd give you a lame answer about the HD7694 being too powerful. The HD7694 is the minimum you need for your area. For Antennacraft, the only reason I would recommend the HBU33, is because it has a few extra elements for VHF-Hi, while UHF is about the same as the HBU22 (something to consider for WBBM-TV). Unless there's something in the way (other than trees) that could affect reception, you should have no problems getting reception with one of the 3 antennas mentioned. While my antennas are outside, I have old-fashioned antennas, & for me, I preferred separate VHF & UHF antennas, & I went with the Antennacraft CS600 (got it for WOCK-CD, when they carried AmericaOne in 2011) & the original Antennas Direct DB8 (originally used the Winegard HD 9032 UHF antenna) in 2012. Wheaton Illinois & Gary Indiana are about the same distance from Chicago, that you'll do fine with whatever element antenna you get.
post #12193 of 13123 Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have a good question to ask you does metv broadcast in 720p?i just wanted to know.

Thanks

Allen bluegras
post #12194 of 13123 Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
does metv broadcast in 720p?
No. They broadcast in 480i in standard def everywhere except Philly and maybe NYC(?).
post #12195 of 13123 Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 AM
OT7

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
1st scan on new HDTV .
How did I get 2-11.
post #12196 of 13123 Old 11-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
No. They broadcast in 480i in standard def everywhere except Philly and maybe NYC(?).

Yes channel 2 in Philly & channel 3 in NYC upconvert it to 720
post #12197 of 13123 Old 11-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i wonder it will happen to us in the chicagoland area upcovert all the tv shows to 720p.also what are the chances the wmeu the u too channel 48 will go to a full power tv station so we can get them on dish.thanks

allen
post #12198 of 13123 Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT7 View Post
1st scan on new HDTV .
How did I get 2-11.
I believe 2-11 is WBBM's translator station which broadcasts a low power signal on rf 26 for people who can't receive the rf 12 frequency reliably. It maps to 2-11.

R. B.
post #12199 of 13123 Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
i wonder it will happen to us in the chicagoland area upcovert all the tv shows to 720p.also what are the chances the wmeu the u too channel 48 will go to a full power tv station so we can get them on dish.thanks

allen
much like the last 2 times you asked the answer isnt going to change
THEY CANT UPGRADE TO FULL POWER

The reasons have already been posted in this thread when you asked
post #12200 of 13123 Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Up until this last week I've been able to get CBS 2 OTA in Plano IL but I get lowest signal strength since last week haven't changed anything anyone have any suggestions or experiencing the same thing of course bears are on CBS tomorrow .
post #12201 of 13123 Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also in Plano (north side) CBS 2 OTA is still coming in fine here. Nice strong signal here.

R. B.
post #12202 of 13123 Old 11-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromzc View Post
I'm also in Plano (north side) CBS 2 OTA is still coming in fine here. Nice strong signal here.
I get every local channel full strength but CBS 2 my antenna is attic mounted aim at 72.9 not sure what is going on.
post #12203 of 13123 Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retromzc View Post
ok how high is your antenna and where are you pointing it I even bought another antenna rated for 60 miles get every channel but CBS 2 tried on several tvs
post #12204 of 13123 Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisSvt2 View Post
ok how high is your antenna and where are you pointing it I even bought another antenna rated for 60 miles get every channel but CBS 2 tried on several tvs
took my antenna and moved it to the attic of my second story instead of garage aimed and hooked up my amplifier and I now get every channel including CBS 2 full strength did use the new antenna my old one wouldn't fit up there.

New one is GE 34792-1 plus my Motorola signal booster.

Height is now 25ft from 12
post #12205 of 13123 Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
took my antenna and moved it to the attic of my second story instead of garage aimed and hooked up my amplifier and I now get every channel including CBS 2 full strength did use the new antenna my old one wouldn't fit up there.

Glad you solved your problem. Fwiw my antenna is outside on 40' tower pointed toward Chicago.

R. B.
post #12206 of 13123 Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 PM

Interesting find tonight.
Went to watch TV in bed had light on and TV had channel loss.

Turned off channels came back.

Turns out all the led bulbs I put in are causing em interference.
Put cfl bulbs back in signal was full even with lights on.

Needless to say I have about $100 worth of leds to return tomorrow.
post #12207 of 13123 Old 11-17-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Did you use the ones from Feit Electric? I have the same issue with them. I now use Sylvania's LED's, but they trash only the VHF portion (WBBM) of the spectrum for me.

Gilbert

Quote:
Interesting find tonight.
Went to watch TV in bed had light on and TV had channel loss.

Turned off channels came back.

Turns out all the led bulbs I put in are causing em interference.
Put cfl bulbs back in signal was full even with lights on.

Needless to say I have about $100 worth of leds to return tomorrow.

Gilbert
post #12208 of 13123 Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
Did you use the ones from Feit Electric? I have the same issue with them. I now use Sylvania's LED's, but they trash only the VHF portion (WBBM) of the spectrum for me.

Gilbert
same here wbbm but they were also interfering with my garage door opener which is a craftsman from 2006. And also radio stations I listen to occasionally. All this stuff works now with cfl bulbs back in there place.

I was using the new Philips flat ones home depot sells

From what I read its because of their pmw power use?
post #12209 of 13123 Old 11-18-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That antenna is also called the GE 24792, depends if you're looking at the instructions or the box. But I also have one & did a review of sorts on another thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdt...na-review.html

As commented, it works quite well. I just have to get back up in the cramped attic & try different locations to see if there is an optimum spot.

post #12210 of 13123 Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

I see RETRO-TV is back on in Chicago. It's on W25DW 25.2. Also, 25.3 is showing a promo loop for something called REVN-TV.

R. B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
digital audio , wrjk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page