Chicago, IL - OTA - Page 438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #13111 of 13130 Old 11-06-2019, 02:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody know more precisely when WCIU will be up on their final post-repack equipment? Right now I'm getting everything I used to get, aside from WRJK (understood) and WCIU at signal levels of 90 or better. WCIU is about 65 and choppy in all but perfect weather. I'm in Yorkville, so I'm 45+ miles out but have a good attic-mounted antenna and a preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 13130 Old 11-07-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Could all of this transmitter changes be affecting some radio stations? I generally listen to WXRT, and it seems to be a bit weaker, as I have been having issues getting it in clean stereo here the past few weeks. I think they transmit from the Hancock tower.
post #13113 of 13130 Old 11-08-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
Trip's Inverness, IL bandscanner is picking up a decent signal on rf channel 30, and the error rate is good...yet there is no call sign as to what that is. I tried to tune in channel 30 tonight, but couldn't get a signal 40 miles away. No out-of-market signals are currently coming in...I'm curious as to what that is.

Guys,
I made a few changes to the antenna system the other day and you'll see that in the bandscan link. I tried a HD-7696 and ended up going back to the CM-2020. I also use a AP-8700 preamp. The antenna is in the attic. This night of experimentation confirmed a suspicion I had a long time ago about the 300 to 75 ohm balun. If you have one of those channel master baluns with the leads that don't have a fixed distance (i.e two diverging wires from the plastic housing) between them THROW IT OUT! I found an older RCA balun with the standard short 300 ohm transmission line to the balun housing and it works at least 3-4 dB better. It's not terribly much but it really matters for stuff that is barely decodable. Also, strangely enough it dramatically improved the WTTW reception. I'm guessing that impedance mismatch with the leads kind of spread out to "about" the distance for 300 ohms was not good enough, especially at RF25.

As you can see, I had to decide whether to get WRJK or WYIN and I chose WRJK. WRJK is just above the decoding limit.... and yes, their signal really sucks. They won't cut it as a legitimate broadcaster if they don't get a power increase. If they can go to 1kW that would help immensely. As it is, the directional signal really does no favors for the North Shore or those in the northern suburbs. Their UHF signal was significantly better.

Now, I also found some good data from http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html. There is a link in there with a table comparing his stacker antenna to the one I use and several others and his is much better. I would go ahead and purchase one if you are considering a new outdoor or attic antenna.

Use the rabbitears.info site and Google Earth Pro. Draw a line from your house to the transmitter and get your precise bearing from that. What you'll find is you may have to deviate on that slightly depending on avoiding nearby lossy/reflective objects.

I know the temptation is to buy some cheap and cute antenna from Best Buy or Walmart but don't take the bait. Spend a hundred bucks, if you can, and get something respectable. Also, look at the specs on the preamps and don't buy something that does not have good overload signal protection (meaning amplifiers with a higher 1 dB compression point) and a low noise figure. The Winegards have been pretty good about that. The ChannelMasters not as much. I guess I am partial to the Channel master antennas and the Winegard amps though that stacker antenna may displace the Channel master from what I have read.
Bink and sebenste like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13114 of 13130 Old 11-09-2019, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My new antenna is going up this weekend. This is about 8 ft long. https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x
The Winegard HD8800 8bay is UHF only and not good enough anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDB91X_3_zoom.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	2638478  
Bink and sebenste like this.

W9ALN

"Stop Making Stupid People Famous" - Plastic Jesus

Last edited by alnielsen; 11-09-2019 at 12:48 AM.
post #13115 of 13130 Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Could all of this transmitter changes be affecting some radio stations? I generally listen to WXRT, and it seems to be a bit weaker, as I have been having issues getting it in clean stereo here the past few weeks. I think they transmit from the Hancock tower.
Nope. They are at full power. And specifically, a quick FCC check shows no STA (special temporary authority) for WXRT.

Gilbert
post #13116 of 13130 Old 11-09-2019, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat View Post
Guys,
I made a few changes to the antenna system the other day and you'll see that in the bandscan link. I tried a HD-7696 and ended up going back to the CM-2020. I also use a AP-8700 preamp. The antenna is in the attic. This night of experimentation confirmed a suspicion I had a long time ago about the 300 to 75 ohm balun. If you have one of those channel master baluns with the leads that don't have a fixed distance (i.e two diverging wires from the plastic housing) between them THROW IT OUT! I found an older RCA balun with the standard short 300 ohm transmission line to the balun housing and it works at least 3-4 dB better. It's not terribly much but it really matters for stuff that is barely decodable. Also, strangely enough it dramatically improved the WTTW reception. I'm guessing that impedance mismatch with the leads kind of spread out to "about" the distance for 300 ohms was not good enough, especially at RF25.

As you can see, I had to decide whether to get WRJK or WYIN and I chose WRJK. WRJK is just above the decoding limit.... and yes, their signal really sucks. They won't cut it as a legitimate broadcaster if they don't get a power increase. If they can go to 1kW that would help immensely. As it is, the directional signal really does no favors for the North Shore or those in the northern suburbs. Their UHF signal was significantly better.

Now, I also found some good data from http://dennysantennaservice.com/hd_s...enna-html.html. There is a link in there with a table comparing his stacker antenna to the one I use and several others and his is much better. I would go ahead and purchase one if you are considering a new outdoor or attic antenna.

Use the rabbitears.info site and Google Earth Pro. Draw a line from your house to the transmitter and get your precise bearing from that. What you'll find is you may have to deviate on that slightly depending on avoiding nearby lossy/reflective objects.

I know the temptation is to buy some cheap and cute antenna from Best Buy or Walmart but don't take the bait. Spend a hundred bucks, if you can, and get something respectable. Also, look at the specs on the preamps and don't buy something that does not have good overload signal protection (meaning amplifiers with a higher 1 dB compression point) and a low noise figure. The Winegards have been pretty good about that. The ChannelMasters not as much. I guess I am partial to the Channel master antennas and the Winegard amps though that stacker antenna may displace the Channel master from what I have read.
Thanks for doing that, and this is a gret post. Spend the money, rather than the hassle and time, to get a great antenna. You'll be glad you did. It will cut down on reception issues and multipath.

It's funny that your channel 5 is just below lock level. That's a station up in Milwaukee. I bet if you turned your antenna north-northwest, you'd lock it! Anyway, WYIN is locking for you this evening, so all is not lost!
JoelWNelson likes this.

Gilbert
post #13117 of 13130 Old 11-10-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wede-cd

Would anyone have any updated information as to the current and future status of this low power station? I really miss my Retro TV.

Thank you in advance for your time.
post #13118 of 13130 Old 11-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnchaple View Post
Would anyone have any updated information as to the current and future status of this low power station? I really miss my Retro TV.

It looks like they have decided to concentrate on the immediate south suburbs only when they go back on the air (if they are not already). Their coverage pattern is really tight and doesn't go far. What a joke.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...&callsign=WEDE
post #13119 of 13130 Old 11-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Wede-cd

Thank you for your prompt response.
post #13120 of 13130 Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Both WEDE and WISN in Milwaukee moved from RF 34 to RF 28, so the need to protect WISN to the north isn't anything new, this was their pre-repack coverage area on RF 34:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....a&cir=&circen=

On RF 28, they now also have to protect WYZZ in Bloomington to the southwest, so WEDE couldn't expand their signal any further during the maximization window like other stations did:

Like many of the other Willis tower stations, they have a STA with reduced coverage from an alternate antenna while they replace their pre-repack antenna:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour....4&site=1&map=Y
Since this is a temporary antenna where they weren't able to implement their custom signal pattern, they had to have something highly directional that would let them cover Chicago, but not interfere with WISN or WYZZ.

The CP for their final signal has the same custom pattern as their pre-repack signal, so if you were getting it pre-repack, you should be able to get it again when they finish the work:

Last edited by KyL416; 11-10-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #13121 of 13130 Old 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Wede-cd

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation of Chicago's Retro TV station. I really appreciate your time and I look forward to when it's back on the air!
KyL416 likes this.
post #13122 of 13130 Old 11-17-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Antenna working now!

I am 68 miles from the Chicago stations. Ever since the repack, I have been having reception problems. Slight to moderate pixelation, and audio glitches. I tried everything. Cleaning all my cable connections, climbing the tower to mess with the cartridge on my antenna, (a Winegard HD 8200U), etc. It seems that my pre-amp was going bad. I bought a new Wingard Boost XT. Climbed the tower one more time to install it, and now everything seems to be good. All my favorite channels have been solid. Including Channel 2.1 My old pre-amp was installed in 2004, so I guess it was time for an update. I can only hope the new one lasts as long as the old one did!
sebenste likes this.
post #13123 of 13130 Old 11-17-2019, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For those of you in the far northwest and west suburbs of Chicago: the channel repack rolls on! At 9:30 AM CT in Rockford on Monday, November 18, WIFR-LD channel 23.(1-4) physically moves from channel 41 to channel 28. Thus, you'll need to rescan your TV once it comes back on the air shortly thereafter if you have a TV antenna, to continue to receive it. The virtual channels you see on your TV (23.1, 23.2, 23.3, and 23.4) remain unchanged.

Gilbert
post #13124 of 13130 Old 11-25-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
anyone north of Chicago having problems with nbc 5.1 after the repack? I get everything including cbs abc fox32 wgn all full signal but 5.1 is either just there and breaking up or gone to sometimes I get almost a full signal?
thanks
post #13125 of 13130 Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson65 View Post
anyone north of Chicago having problems with nbc 5.1 after the repack? I get everything including cbs abc fox32 wgn all full signal but 5.1 is either just there and breaking up or gone to sometimes I get almost a full signal?
thanks
I bet I know. Per Kyle Walker, Chief Engineer of Weigel Broadcasting (username tvmicrowave) in his post-repack authoritative statement on the previous page:

"Ch 33 - WMAQ 5 (and channel share WSNS 44) They are operating temporarily from the Hancock Tower. The main will be located at the Willis Tower but will not be ready until 2020."

Gilbert
post #13126 of 13130 Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post
I bet I know. Per Kyle Walker, Chief Engineer of Weigel Broadcasting (username tvmicrowave) in his post-repack authoritative statement on the previous page:

"Ch 33 - WMAQ 5 (and channel share WSNS 44) They are operating temporarily from the Hancock Tower. The main will be located at the Willis Tower but will not be ready until 2020."

that makes sense now. I was thinking it was the antenna or something else on my end. I will just wait then.
thanks
sebenste likes this.
post #13127 of 13130 Old 12-01-2019, 11:13 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I am returning to OTA after a few years on cable. I live in Itasca, which is NW of Chicago. Here's my tvfool link

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038994b69ea79

Based on the analysis, the stations (the one that matter any way) are in a single direction at about 110 degree.. I should use a directional antenna. A few years ago, I used a DB2 on the ground floor indoor and managed to get most of the channel except for CBS. The current plan is to install a tuner in the upstairs closet. This will allow me to use a reasonable antenna and still hide it from view.

The biggest issue is the channel CBS. It appears to be broadcasting VHF-High, which is hard to get using most indoor antennas or even the DB2. Now it appears we also have a channel 26, but it's much weaker. I am wondering what people are using for indoor antenna in the Northwestern suburb area and if you are getting CBS.

Paul
post #13128 of 13130 Old 12-02-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsiu View Post
Hi,

I am returning to OTA after a few years on cable. I live in Itasca, which is NW of Chicago. Here's my tvfool link

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038994b69ea79

Based on the analysis, the stations (the one that matter any way) are in a single direction at about 110 degree.. I should use a directional antenna. A few years ago, I used a DB2 on the ground floor indoor and managed to get most of the channel except for CBS. The current plan is to install a tuner in the upstairs closet. This will allow me to use a reasonable antenna and still hide it from view.

The biggest issue is the channel CBS. It appears to be broadcasting VHF-High, which is hard to get using most indoor antennas or even the DB2. Now it appears we also have a channel 26, but it's much weaker. I am wondering what people are using for indoor antenna in the Northwestern suburb area and if you are getting CBS.

Paul
CBS-2 is also carried on Channel 48-3, which is a UHF. It might be easier to use this "2" instead of installing a VHF antenna for just one channel.
post #13129 of 13130 Old 12-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Wrme-lp

Does anyone about what has happened to the video portion of WRME-LP's signal (channel 6) The video portion has been missing for several days (screen indicates that they're "waiting for network input").

post #13130 of 13130 Old 12-02-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beranek View Post
CBS-2 is also carried on Channel 48-3, which is a UHF. It might be easier to use this "2" instead of installing a VHF antenna for just one channel.
I would agree with Mike here, but I don't know how long that channel agreement would last. If you used a db-8, you'd get WBBM. If you used a DB-2, you'd get WBBM on channel 48. I like to get more antenna than I need because of weather conditions can knock out stations, even at 20 miles out.

Gilbert

Gilbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Tags
digital audio , wrjk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page