Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #10081 of 10124 Old 02-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Had you heard that WIS-TV's GM Donita Todd (the woman who became the primary target after viewers were angry over Ben Hoover's contract not renewed and cause a PR Nightmare for channel 10 and she does the perspective editorials on that station) is retiring this month?

Too bad the damage has been done (especially they let poor Ben Hoover go), but Good Riddance Donita Todd.

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10124 Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have an idea as to whether Time Warner will eventually retransmite ch 47 and 63's HD feed of Ion and CW? I really don't care that much about 47's programming, but 63 carries some guilty pleasures, and I would really like to see one of 63's subs, AntennaTV, carried on cable too. Wouldn't mind them retransmitting RetroTV from 63 also, if just to watch old Doctor Who.

Out here in Lexington it's hot or miss pulling those in with an indoor antenna.
post #10083 of 10124 Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I often wonder the same thing. Watching The Flash, Arrow or Supernatural can be really, really painful. Is it just that TWC does not transmit the HD feed or is it because the station does not provide one? Can you get 63 in HD via OTA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10084 of 10124 Old 02-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
I often wonder the same thing. Watching The Flash, Arrow or Supernatural can be really, really painful. Is it just that TWC does not transmit the HD feed or is it because the station does not provide one? Can you get 63 in HD via OTA?
For the longest time they appeared to be poorly upscaling an SD feed to HD, but now they're in HD.

Btw, does anyone know what is going to roll out on WACH's new subchannel -- 57.4? It's currently up and broadcasting as TBD with the message "COMING SOON A NEW TV CHANNEL 57.4"
post #10085 of 10124 Old 02-12-2017, 03:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcoleslaw View Post
For the longest time they appeared to be poorly upscaling an SD feed to HD, but now they're in HD.

Btw, does anyone know what is going to roll out on WACH's new subchannel -- 57.4? It's currently up and broadcasting as TBD with the message "COMING SOON A NEW TV CHANNEL 57.4"
Based on your description, TBD. http://tbd.com/

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10086 of 10124 Old 04-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

The NAB's Post-Auction Channel Predictions I know for Columbia, SC DMA:

WIS 10 (NBC): Unknown
WLTX 19 (CBS): Post auction channel is UHF 15
WOLO 25 (ABC): Post auction channel is VHF 7
WRLK 35 (PBS/SCETV): Unknown
WZRB 47 (ION O&O): Unknown
WACH 57 (FOX): Post auction channel is UHF 22
WKTC 63 (The CW/MNT): Unknown

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #10087 of 10124 Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #10088 of 10124 Old 04-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

UPDATE on Post-Auction Channels:

WIS 10: Still on VHF 10
WLTX 19: New Channel UHF 15
WOLO 25: New Channel is VHF 7
WRLK 35: New Channel is UHF 33
WZRB 47: New Channel is UHF 25
WACH 57: New Channel is UHF 22
WKTC 63: New Channel is UHF 31

Spencer Karter

post #10089 of 10124 Old 07-20-2017, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Speaking of Cord Cutters: I heard YouTubeTV has launched in nearby areas like Atlanta and Charlotte. I would love to see YouTube TV launched in Columbia, SC and the South Carolina Midlands. What do you think of YouTubeTV?

Spencer Karter

post #10090 of 10124 Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Speaking of Cord Cutters: I heard YouTubeTV has launched in nearby areas like Atlanta and Charlotte. I would love to see YouTube TV launched in Columbia, SC and the South Carolina Midlands. What do you think of YouTubeTV?
YouTubeTV has launched in Columbia. I am in a free months trial with it. So far the picture quality has been good but I haven't had too much of a chance to really go through it's other features.

Feeling the Purple Power thanks to HD DVD and Blu Ray.
post #10091 of 10124 Old 06-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wonder if anyone else in the Columbia, SC area has been having difficulty with reception on Channels 19 (WLTX-DT) or 25 (WOLOH) and their subchannels today. After having no trouble with either of those channels since I cut the cable cord in 2013 both channels went off sometime this morning, and they are not back on yet. I would especially like to hear from employees of said stations, as one of their web sites suggested that problems with their reception should be posted here, since many of their employees visit this forum frequently. However, I would also like to hear from others whether they're receiving these two channels. All my other channels get good to excellent reception here in West Columbia with an upstairs mounted indoor antenna. Spent the morning turning the amplifier up and down and moving the antenna around to no avail.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038556437e974

I'll be adding a list of my equipment later, as I have spent the last 10 hours going through the convoluted procedure of getting registered and permission to post here and need to take a rest.

Thanks.

Last edited by DrDon; 06-09-2018 at 09:27 AM.
post #10092 of 10124 Old 06-09-2018, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilly View Post
Wonder if anyone else in the Columbia, SC area has been having difficulty with reception on Channels 19 (WLTX-DT) or 25 (WOLOH) and their subchannels today. After having no trouble with either of those channels since I cut the cable cord in 2013 both channels went off sometime this morning, and they are not back on yet. I would especially like to hear from employees of said stations, as one of their web sites suggested that problems with their reception should be posted here, since many of their employees visit this forum frequently. However, I would also like to hear from others whether they're receiving these two channels. All my other channels get good to excellent reception here in West Columbia with an upstairs mounted indoor antenna. Spent the morning turning the amplifier up and down and moving the antenna around to no avail.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038556437e974

I'll be adding a list of my equipment later, as I have spent the last 10 hours going through the convoluted procedure of getting registered and permission to post here and need to take a rest.

Thanks.
No problems with WOLO-DT ..or my phone would have rang long ago.

Bear in mind that WOLO is on VHF channel 8..so you will need a suitable antenna. Need to more of what exact equipment you are using for reception there Cap’n

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #10093 of 10124 Old 06-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
No problems with WOLO-DT ..or my phone would have rang long ago.

Bear in mind that WOLO is on VHF channel 8..so you will need a suitable antenna. Need to more of what exact equipment you are using for reception there Cap’n
Thanks for your reply.
Is that change a recent one? I receive my TV through Windows Media Center, for which purpose I use an old Windows 7 computer connected to the TV via an HDMI cable, as Win 10 has discontinued that program. I believe the DVR on WMC still thinks it's on Channel 25. I tried to manually program that channel into the program, but couldn't do it, probably because it prompted me to add the "physical channel no." after I added channel 8, and I don't know what that is and can't find out via several searches. Do you? Maybe it will be changed in the next update and maybe it won't. I may have to make other arrangements for a DVR, as this is a pretty important channel for me, especially 25 (or 8).4 ME-TV.

I don't think I'm allowed to add a signature that lists my equipment until I have made the required no. of posts, but basically I have a VHF-UHF antenna upstairs, and have been getting good reception on all my channels up until yesterday, when I abruptly lost these two. I guess my next step will be to hook the antenna directly to the TV and see if I can get it on Channel 8.

Thanks again.
post #10094 of 10124 Old 06-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
They broadcast on physical VHF 8 (in other words, you need a VHF antenna to receive them) but their virtual channel is 25. That's been the same from the start.
post #10095 of 10124 Old 06-09-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post
They broadcast on physical VHF 8 (in other words, you need a VHF antenna to receive them) but their virtual channel is 25. That's been the same from the start.
That did it! Thanks so much. I used that number and I have the channel back. Why I lost it I don't know. I also found the physical channel for Ch. 19 (17) on Wikipedia via a search, so I've got that one back too.

Appreciate both you chaps' help.
post #10096 of 10124 Old 06-10-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilly View Post
That did it! Thanks so much. I used that number and I have the channel back. Why I lost it I don't know. I also found the physical channel for Ch. 19 (17) on Wikipedia via a search, so I've got that one back too.

Appreciate both you chaps' help.
Here is the list of all stations in Columbia, what station they are on now and what station they are moving to in regards to the repack
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=102

Only WIS is staying on its same RF station (10) after the repack. All are part of Phase 5 which is between August 3, 2019 - September 6, 2019. The exception is WOLO which moves in the last phase May 2, 2020 - July 3, 2020
post #10097 of 10124 Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 AM

My wife & I have purchased a house on Lake Murray (I should probably say Chapin?) and expect to live there fairly soon. I am investigating OTA reception and thought I might inquire as to other peoples' experiences that live on the lake near Chapin. It would appear from TVFool.com that we should be able to pick up WLTX (RF=17/Virt=19/CBS), WACH (58/57/Fox), WOLO (8/25/ABC), WKTC (39/63/MyN), WIS (10/10/NBC), & WZRB (47/47/CW). Can anyone living near Lake Murray confirm this and if so what sort of antenna do you use and where is it mounted? I am thinking (actually hoping) I can use an antenna such as ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna mounted in my attic with an amplifier and then splitting it one time. My guess is that with WOLO & WIS both broadcasting at a VHF frequency that the VHF element of the antenna may be desired/required. From a post here a year ago, it appears that post-auction that an antenna which includes VHF will still be required from those 2. The UHF frequencies will be tighter once implemented.

Thanks
post #10098 of 10124 Old 06-28-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpixel View Post
My wife & I have purchased a house on Lake Murray (I should probably say Chapin?) and expect to live there fairly soon. I am investigating OTA reception and thought I might inquire as to other peoples' experiences that live on the lake near Chapin. It would appear from TVFool.com that we should be able to pick up WLTX (RF=17/Virt=19/CBS), WACH (58/57/Fox), WOLO (8/25/ABC), WKTC (39/63/MyN), WIS (10/10/NBC), & WZRB (47/47/CW). Can anyone living near Lake Murray confirm this and if so what sort of antenna do you use and where is it mounted? I am thinking (actually hoping) I can use an antenna such as ClearStream 2V Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna mounted in my attic with an amplifier and then splitting it one time. My guess is that with WOLO & WIS both broadcasting at a VHF frequency that the VHF element of the antenna may be desired/required. From a post here a year ago, it appears that post-auction that an antenna which includes VHF will still be required from those 2. The UHF frequencies will be tighter once implemented.

Thanks
can you post your tvfool? And yes WIS and WOLO will still be on VHF after the repack so a VHF antenna is still needed
post #10099 of 10124 Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
can you post your tvfool? And yes WIS and WOLO will still be on VHF after the repack so a VHF antenna is still needed
assuming the upload worked, see attached PNG file
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-Digital-Chapin.png
Views:	24
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	2421612  
post #10100 of 10124 Old 06-28-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

JQP,
You should not have any issues with Wolo or most other Columbia stations with the proper antenna.
Try it without any amplification first, if needed Suggest you use THIS amp in LOW gain mode to feed your tv’s:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplif.../cm-7777hd.htm

Often times folks use amps when not necessary..or recommend them without proper knowledge.
At the least, make sure you have an LTE filter on the antenna to help reduce cellular interference, they are available
at channelmaster’s site as well.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 06-28-2018 at 03:52 PM.
post #10101 of 10124 Old 06-29-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
JQP,
You should not have any issues with Wolo or most other Columbia stations with the proper antenna.
Try it without any amplification first, if needed Suggest you use THIS amp in LOW gain mode to feed your tv’s:

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplif.../cm-7777hd.htm

Often times folks use amps when not necessary..or recommend them without proper knowledge.
At the least, make sure you have an LTE filter on the antenna to help reduce cellular interference, they are available
at channelmaster’s site as well.
Thanks. The intent was to insert amplifier only if needed. I get sufficiently strong unamplified signals here in MD for 1 TV. However, after running that signal through a splitter once or twice for additional TVs then I find just a little boost at the beginning seems to help pull in that last station on all TVs. If needed, that variable gain Channel Master amplifier should work nicely, thanks. I had not considered an LTE filter, I really appreciate that heads-up. I have lost enough hair already without pulling out even more trying figure that one out.
post #10102 of 10124 Old 06-29-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpixel View Post
Thanks.... I really appreciate that heads-up. I have lost enough hair already without pulling out even more trying figure that one out.

I hear you..Let us know how you fare when you get here and get Tv going!

Bob

post #10103 of 10124 Old 08-29-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

StartTv begins Monday September 3rd on WOLO-ST 25.5:

https://www.starttv.com/schedule/

Bob

post #10104 of 10124 Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Been a few years since I visited this thread! I scanned some posts which noted the crappiness of the CW. I have the CW via directv, and note that the commercials look like bad SD, The shows are tolerable, but it appears the sound is in Stereo. My AVR tries to break it into surround, but the dialog ends up muddled, and since I have hearing loss, I end up turning on captions.

I can stream past season of The Flash from Netflix, and they are in 5.1, and I can watch without captions just fine.

Any hope of 5.1 sound from our CW station?

David
post #10105 of 10124 Old 12-26-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I hear you..Let us know how you fare when you get here and get Tv going!

Wanted to check in and report results for our recently purchased house on Lake Murray in Chapin, SC. I installed ClearStream 2MAX® UHF/VHF Antenna in my attic. I inserted a 2-way splitter and ran coax to 2 different TVs. I initially scanned for channels without an in-line amplifier. Both TVs "found" all 7 of Columbia's TV broadcasters (virtual channels 10, 19, 25, 35, 47, 57, & 63). However, reception of 47 & 63 were marginal at best, so I inserted the recommended Channel Master 7777 amplifier between antenna and splitter. With amplifier inserted and set to low, reception appears rock solid on all 7 broadcasters. FWIW: no apparent LTE interference (yet?). Thanks for your help.
post #10106 of 10124 Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I see that CW affiliation is leaving channel 63, and going to be a subchannel on WIS. Anyone know if Directv is going to pick this up? I watch a lot of the CW shows! I'm hoping the pq and sound will be a lot better.

D
post #10107 of 10124 Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is anything going on with channel 57 out of Columbia? I usually get it fine here at Lake Wateree, but today there is no signal.
post #10108 of 10124 Old 11-01-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
Is anything going on with channel 57 out of Columbia? I usually get it fine here at Lake Wateree, but today there is no signal.
Same for me in Lexington. I noticed last night that the signal was gone. I double checked my antenna, rescanned, etc to no avail. I stopped by here to see if anyone knew what was going on.
post #10109 of 10124 Old 11-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 99
They posted this message on their website Wednesday:
https://wach.com/news/local/wach-fox...ae-maintenance
post #10110 of 10124 Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just found this on the website. Looks like we’re out of luck for another month.

https://wach.com/news/local/wach-fox...ae-maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page