Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 338 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #10111 of 10124 Old 11-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Paquette View Post
Just found this on the website. Looks like we’re out of luck for another month.

https://wach.com/news/local/wach-fox...ae-maintenance
A whole month? That’s not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10124 Old 11-02-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It’s working for me this morning so the issue is definitely intermittent like the WACH notification states.
post #10113 of 10124 Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Glad someone pointed me to this thread. I just cancelled my Spectrum TV package. They promised my a certain price for 12 months but jacked it up after six months so I'm back to OTA. Couldn't figure out why the heck I couldn't get Fox, which has some good college and pro football on weekends fer shure. Hope they get it fixed sooner than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10114 of 10124 Old 11-13-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcour View Post
Glad someone pointed me to this thread. I just cancelled my Spectrum TV package. They promised my a certain price for 12 months but jacked it up after six months so I'm back to OTA. Couldn't figure out why the heck I couldn't get Fox, which has some good college and pro football on weekends fer shure. Hope they get it fixed sooner than later.
You have recourse depending on what "promised" means.
post #10115 of 10124 Old 11-30-2019, 08:21 AM

I have an indoor antenna and can pick up all the channels I need most of the time however I do get some interference intermittently, sometimes pretty bad, especially in summer. Could I improve my reception with some kind of amplifier? Here's my TV Fool info. Suggestions much appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038968d785791
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OTA Channels.gif
Views:	6
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	2647432  
post #10116 of 10124 Old 12-10-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I have an indoor antenna and can pick up all the channels I need most of the time however I do get some interference intermittently, sometimes pretty bad, especially in summer. Could I improve my reception with some kind of amplifier? Here's my TV Fool info. Suggestions much appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038968d785791
Bump. Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks!
post #10117 of 10124 Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 99
TVFool is using a highly outdated database and has been broken ever since the repack was announced. Do a search at RabbitEars instead so we can have a better idea of what the situation will be at at your location:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
post #10118 of 10124 Old 12-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Bump. Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks!

Hmmm, is anybody there???

Perhaps if you tell a little about your antenna setup (type of antenna, how many TV's the cable is sending to, etc), local viewers to your area that are reading your request about adding a pre-amp might provide some suggestions. I see you said you have an indoor antenna but didn't say if its in the attic or something hanging on the wall, etc.

I do know that South Carolina is right in the area along the Atlantic that gets frequent tropo conditions and can thus cause co-channel interference from stations beyond your immediate viewing area that are on the same channel as the locals. I have a friend that lives in Moncks Corner SC and he sees TV signals quite often to central and southern Florida.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #10119 of 10124 Old 12-11-2019, 09:05 PM

Here's my RabbitEars link:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=34748

My antenna is "Antennas Direct" indoor/outdoor, costs $100 when I bought it 10 yrs ago, looks kinda like this one, except there's no black rod at the top and no stand, it's just the figure 8 part and a grill:

https://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-I...58090106&psc=1

RabbitEars requires you to enter 13 ft minimum off the ground but my antenna actually sits on the floor leaning against the wall in a corner of my bedroom, this gives me the strongest signals of any placement in my apt, including hanging from the wall. I have only one tv.

I'm only interested in the 4 networks and PBS. I get good reception about 95% of the time during winter but during the summer it's more like 70% of the time.

Thanks much for any suggestions!
post #10120 of 10124 Old 12-12-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
My antenna is "Antennas Direct" indoor/outdoor, costs $100 when I bought it 10 yrs ago, looks kinda like this one, except there's no black rod at the top and no stand, it's just the figure 8 part and a grill

The *figure 8* is the equivalent of a two bay bowtie antenna. That is the active part of the antenna or driven elements. That is the part collecting the signals. The *grill* is the reflector. That is the rear of the antenna that rejects signals coming from the back side (opposite of the receiving signals).

Regardless of what TV market you are in, you need to make sure the driven elements are pointing towards the majority of Columbia's towers. This would mean you need to know the direction inside the apartment to aim the antenna. According to the RabbitEars study, you are less than 20 miles from all of the full power signals (channels you want). Distance shouldn't be a problem, so you shouldn't have any dropouts. It would really be best to get the antenna AWAY from any walls, which have wiring, possible metal conduit and galvanized construction stud plating materials inside. All of those things can kill DTV signals. Even insulation in the walls can interfere with DTV signals. A best scenario (if you can't put it out on a balcony) is to get it as close to a window as possible (in the direction of the towers).

With your current setup, adding a pre-amp is just going to raise the noise floor and not really help the signals.

Antennas - Antennacraft MXU59 UHF antenna & home-brew version of Antennacraft VHF Y-10-7-13 antenna @ 25'. Both antennas fed through a Channel Master 7777 30dB pre-amp.
Tuners - Zenith DTT901 converter box; AirSpy HF+ sdr; Silicon Dust HDHomerun Dual ATSC tuner, using Rabbitears autologger support.
post #10121 of 10124 Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Here's my RabbitEars link:

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=34748

My antenna is "Antennas Direct" indoor/outdoor, costs $100 when I bought it 10 yrs ago, looks kinda like this one, except there's no black rod at the top and no stand, it's just the figure 8 part and a grill:

https://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-I...58090106&psc=1

RabbitEars requires you to enter 13 ft minimum off the ground but my antenna actually sits on the floor leaning against the wall in a corner of my bedroom, this gives me the strongest signals of any placement in my apt, including hanging from the wall. I have only one tv.

I'm only interested in the 4 networks and PBS. I get good reception about 95% of the time during winter but during the summer it's more like 70% of the time.

The antenna you have is the Clearstream 2 which is good for UHF. But you need the version referenced with the VHF dipole called the Clearstream 2V or Clearstream 2MAX. Because 2 major Columbia stations for ABC and NBC are VHF, channel 8-WOLO and channel 10-WIS. There is a new version of the Clearstream 2MAX on sale at Walmart for $69. And the higher gain UHF version Clearstream 4MAX is sold at Best Buy, with an increase in UHF gain but the VHF dipole is about the same. An amplifier may or may not help depending upon signal strength and location. But Antop sells adjustable gain amps on Amazon which is nice to fine tune the gain level so you don't overload.
post #10122 of 10124 Old 12-15-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Because 2 major Columbia stations for ABC and NBC are VHF, channel 8-WOLO and channel 10-WIS. .

Yes, tylersc is correct..We at WOLO are on channel 8 now..but after we repack around July we'll be on channel 7. Anyone want a deal on two very nice channel 8 transmitters?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #10123 of 10124 Old 12-15-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yes, tylersc is correct..We at WOLO are on channel 8 now..but after we repack around July we'll be on channel 7. Anyone want a deal on two very nice channel 8 transmitters?
Try SCETV for transition to Channel 8 in the Greenville market. ... Do I get a finders fee if it works out?
bdfox18doe likes this.
post #10124 of 10124 Old 12-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Thanks all for the info. I shall take everything into consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page