So you've had your 21.0 for a while...reviews? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By SolRage
  • 1 Post By SolRage
  • 1 Post By Majister
  • 1 Post By Funk Audio
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-07-2016, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So you've had your 21.0 for a while...reviews?

As the title says, for those who have had their 21.0 for a bit, I'd dearly love to read some reviews, feedback, pictures etc.

Don't be shy I'm sure quite a few people would enjoy hearing from you.
Majister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 04-09-2016, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
It will be a little longer before anyone has them, as we are waiting for some parts. We were able to make some upgrades at the expense of a little waiting, and everyone who has an order in for these has been contacted and is willing to wait for the new parts.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Pretty cool to get an upgrade out of the shoot. Also explains why I haven't heard a lot on the 21.0 yet, though it looks to be a beast. That's great news! Look forward to hearing from you lucky folks! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of upgrades were made to the design? Thanks

Last edited by Majister; 04-09-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Majister is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
Well its just one thing that afects a few aspects. After talking with our magnet supplier we came up with a larger magnet size that gave a notable increase in motor strength with marginal cost increase. This will improve the over 40hz output slightly as well as lower distortion slightly, and improve impulse response.
Impressive given the article I read about from audioholics about the (I think the term is) Bl^e or something to that effect. Which is in the 400+ newtons. I may be remembering the specifics wrong. Either way they mentioned that this driver/motor of yours is staggeringly powerful. Among the most powerful built. That is extremely impressive. Sorry if I butchered specs.

Anyhow, I can't imagine the 21.0 has too many piers (other than the 18.2) in the sealed segment. It appears you've done an exemplary job creating a monster. And a musical one at that.
Majister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
Impressive given the article I read about from audioholics about the (I think the term is) Bl^e or something to that effect. Which is in the 400+ newtons. I may be remembering the specifics wrong. Either way they mentioned that this driver/motor of yours is staggeringly powerful. Among the most powerful built. That is extremely impressive. Sorry if I butchered specs.

Anyhow, I can't imagine the 21.0 has too many piers (other than the 18.2) in the sealed segment. It appears you've done an exemplary job creating a monster. And a musical one at that.
I just realized you were asking about the 21.0, I thought you were asking about the new 21.0L!. Well this is embarrassing.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
As the title says, for those who have had their 21.0 for a bit, I'd dearly love to read some reviews, feedback, pictures etc.

Don't be shy I'm sure quite a few people would enjoy hearing from you.
They have been shipping in their current state for about a year now, although I am not sure if any owners are form members.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
I just realized you were asking about the 21.0, I thought you were asking about the new 21.0L!. Well this is embarrassing.
Haha, not a problem at all. I had posted for feedback on both! No worries about the confusion, 'tis the joy of multiple skews and an ever growing business.

Hopefully someone who has one will see this thread and post to it, it would be a great resource.
Majister is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Member
 
SolRage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Had mine for a little over a year now. I think I was one of the first owners and I think it's my 21.0 (in Santos Rosewood) that's pictured on the website.

I couldn't be happier and can't imagine finding another subwoofer that's better either in terms of sound quality or aesthetics. It has all the power I'd ever need (and then some!) and even at room-rattling volumes there's no hint of distortion or strain. I'm using it with a Legacy setup (Whisper XDS mains, Marquis HD center, Expression surrounds) in two different configurations: for movies I use the Audyssey on my Marantz processor with all speakers crossed at 80Hz. For music, I prefer to let my Whispers play with the 21.0, though I had to manually dial it in via the Xilica processor that comes standard with the Whispers. Reason being the Whispers subs can clip on bottom-heavy movies, so I let the 21.0 do all the work, while on music they do not, and I think the added subs help even-out the overall response with even less distortion. Even with the most demanding modern films: War of the Worlds Pod Emergence, Tron Legacy, Edge of Tomorrow opening, etc., the 21.0 provides completely effortless power; and, yes, I'm one of those idiots that tried to crank Edge of Tomorrow only to find myself reaching for the volume control as it started to freak me out as it hit those lowest registers!

Personally, I'm more of a critical listener when it comes to music than movies, mainly because I think film is more of a visual medium and I watch a lot of old and foreign films where sound isn't that great to begin with. With music I'm one of those weirdos that actually listen to pipe organ music where it's not unusual to find heavy output under 32Hz. I've never found a system that could replicate the visceral feeling of organ music well until I got the 21.0. On a recording like Saint-Saens Organ Symphony with Guillou and De Waart conducting the San Francisco Orchestra, especially in the slow movement it's amazing to feel like you're floating on clouds of sustained sub-bass output while the orchestra soars over it. On the other hand, on recordings like Felix Hell's Organ Sensation the 21.0 feels like a demon intent on destroying you and the house! In a more pop/rock vein, the 21.0 made me really appreciate the textures of a band like Massive Attack, or albums like A Perfect Circle's The Thirteenth Step.

Not sure if I can heap enough praise on it, but, to summarize, the 21.0 has transformed both my film-watching and music-listening experience completely while looking drop dead gorgeous to boot. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in it. Here are my measurements if anyone is curious: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post35963746

I'll try to get some pics later. Been meaning to do that for ages anyway.
Majister likes this.
SolRage is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Had mine for a little over a year now. I think I was one of the first owners and I think it's my 21.0 (in Santos Rosewood) that's pictured on the website.

I couldn't be happier and can't imagine finding another subwoofer that's better either in terms of sound quality or aesthetics. It has all the power I'd ever need (and then some!) and even at room-rattling volumes there's no hint of distortion or strain. I'm using it with a Legacy setup (Whisper XDS mains, Marquis HD center, Expression surrounds) in two different configurations: for movies I use the Audyssey on my Marantz processor with all speakers crossed at 80Hz. For music, I prefer to let my Whispers play with the 21.0, though I had to manually dial it in via the Xilica processor that comes standard with the Whispers. Reason being the Whispers subs can clip on bottom-heavy movies, so I let the 21.0 do all the work, while on music they do not, and I think the added subs help even-out the overall response with even less distortion. Even with the most demanding modern films: War of the Worlds Pod Emergence, Tron Legacy, Edge of Tomorrow opening, etc., the 21.0 provides completely effortless power; and, yes, I'm one of those idiots that tried to crank Edge of Tomorrow only to find myself reaching for the volume control as it started to freak me out as it hit those lowest registers!

Personally, I'm more of a critical listener when it comes to music than movies, mainly because I think film is more of a visual medium and I watch a lot of old and foreign films where sound isn't that great to begin with. With music I'm one of those weirdos that actually listen to pipe organ music where it's not unusual to find heavy output under 32Hz. I've never found a system that could replicate the visceral feeling of organ music well until I got the 21.0. On a recording like Saint-Saens Organ Symphony with Guillou and De Waart conducting the San Francisco Orchestra, especially in the slow movement it's amazing to feel like you're floating on clouds of sustained sub-bass output while the orchestra soars over it. On the other hand, on recordings like Felix Hell's Organ Sensation the 21.0 feels like a demon intent on destroying you and the house! In a more pop/rock vein, the 21.0 made me really appreciate the textures of a band like Massive Attack, or albums like A Perfect Circle's The Thirteenth Step.

Not sure if I can heap enough praise on it, but, to summarize, the 21.0 has transformed both my film-watching and music-listening experience completely while looking drop dead gorgeous to boot. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in it. Here are my measurements if anyone is curious: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post35963746

I'll try to get some pics later. Been meaning to do that for ages anyway.

Cannot thank you enough for your feedback! So you are saying the 21.0 handled the edge of tomorrow without issue? Impressive! I'm more bent towards movies, but I'd certainly give Organ music a go with a sub like this. I run a Mordaunt short system (classic English sound) and it plays extremely well with a sub filling in the low end. The fact that I've been without a sub has been personally devastating...been sub-less for a year...you can't imagine what it does to someone
Majister is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 04-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Member
 
SolRage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
So you are saying the 21.0 handled the edge of tomorrow without issue? Impressive!
It handled it better than I did!

I forgot to mention that I have it hooked up to a dedicated 240V/20A line. While Nathan insured me this wasn't necessary, I've always been an "if you're gonna do it, overdo it" kinda guy. So plenty of juice to power that 4800W amp to its peak power!

I'd been sub-less for many years as I had never encountered really good subs going the HTIAB or brick-and-mortar store route, but once I got my Legacy setup I felt I owed it to myself to add that final missing piece. I'm ecstatic that I did!

BTW, if you're more interested in movies, you might check out the 18.3 as well. Definitely talk to Nathan, but I think I recall him telling me that because of it being a passive radiator design, it can do more in the sub-20Hz range and some preferred its slight "overhang" sound for movies.
SolRage is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 04-15-2016, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
It handled it better than I did!

I forgot to mention that I have it hooked up to a dedicated 240V/20A line. While Nathan insured me this wasn't necessary, I've always been an "if you're gonna do it, overdo it" kinda guy. So plenty of juice to power that 4800W amp to its peak power!

I'd been sub-less for many years as I had never encountered really good subs going the HTIAB or brick-and-mortar store route, but once I got my Legacy setup I felt I owed it to myself to add that final missing piece. I'm ecstatic that I did!

BTW, if you're more interested in movies, you might check out the 18.3 as well. Definitely talk to Nathan, but I think I recall him telling me that because of it being a passive radiator design, it can do more in the sub-20Hz range and some preferred its slight "overhang" sound for movies.
BTW - I need to say it. Your santos rosewood finished sub with that satin finish has to be my absolute Favorite sub. I couldn't take my eyes off of it when I started looking. I have a big soft spot for rosewood, but that santos variety with just the right amount of dye/stain and the topcoat just sets it off as pure high end furniture. I'm a big fan! Ask Nathan...I harassed him about that one quite a bit. - you hit on something very special there!
Majister is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Member
 
SolRage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
BTW - I need to say it. Your santos rosewood finished sub with that satin finish has to be my absolute Favorite sub. I couldn't take my eyes off of it when I started looking. I have a big soft spot for rosewood, but that santos variety with just the right amount of dye/stain and the topcoat just sets it off as pure high end furniture. I'm a big fan! Ask Nathan...I harassed him about that one quite a bit. - you hit on something very special there!
I was actually inspired by an 18.3 that Nathan built for someone else: http://www.funkaudio.ca/uploads/3/7/...i23_w1237.jpeg

Yeah, I adore Rosewood myself. My Legacy speakers are all Rosewood so I wanted the sub to match. The sub is slightly darker, but I actually prefer the look of the Santos and the darker coloring.
Majister likes this.
SolRage is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-09-2016, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, I have one ordered. Finished in Bog Sequoia Burl. I guess it's an incredible pain to work with. Very rare wood, so should be unique. The coloration of the wood is outstanding. It's understated but the details! It looks like liquid done in Nathan's famous cut polished gloss. I can't wait to see pictures...but this isn't a quick finish to do or apply. As I've told Nathan, I'm patient...I'll take his impeccable quality over having it here faster 10 times out of 10. I just know the end results will be outstanding. The corners are being done in Santos rosewood (no bog sequoia chunks or strips in the wild - doesn't exist) so I think it will look unique.

Anyhow...had to let it out, let off some steam, lest the excruciating excitement kill me dead.
arsMatrix likes this.
Majister is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Data-Bass has just posted test measurements and review on the 21.0 http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=127
Majister likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-11-2016, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
Data-Bass has just posted test measurements and review on the 21.0 http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=127
As expected, it's a beast! Well done Nathan! 6th all-time overall at 10hz in that ridiculously small enclosure. Amazing considering that most of the other designs in that top 10 are monster (in size) Horn type jobs.

Last edited by Majister; 05-13-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Majister is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
OK...seriously, we need some activity in this thread! Surely someone is looking for a new sub! Surely someone just got theirs...looking at this thread once a day with ZERO changes has been soul crushing
Majister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off