Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2176 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
It's done! (well 99% done )

It's been an almost 2 year process fraught with set backs, cost over runs, disappointments, undos, re-dos, equipment swaps, short circuits and many, many delays. But last night, I forgot all about that and enjoyed a truly awesome movie experience! 13.8.8 JBL Synthesis (w/ M2 LCRs), 4 Wisdom mid bass subs and 4 Seaton F18s to dig deep in an amazingly crafted space.

I'm going to do a short build thread as the room has been finally completed. Planning started in July 2017. I'm just getting together photos I took over the past 2 years. I wanted to thank all those who contributed to this room I've so long desired to build. Many are here on AVS.

After selling my previous home, the new owner wanted all the equipment in my theater - so he wrote me a check after the home sale and I was free to look at all new gear. The Demo scene from Everest was the clincher on the sale of it all!

But in the new theater, Adam Pelz's mastery was on full display as he put together my entire theater this past weekend (audio, video, racks, remote, wiring, LCR positioning, sub installation, etc). A couple nights ago, we went through demo clips that emphasized bass, surround effects, dialog intelligibility, dynamics, etc last night... All incredible. It was my first glimpse at this long awaited theater. Blade Runner 2049 was crazy (bass, surround effects), Bohemian Rhapsody... What a recording - puts you right there! And what a screen! This time it was right Mike G. It seemed like the ideal combination of screen size to seating distance to sound. Very, very pleased. The bass is solid, strong and in control. Dynamics galore and a true sonic bubble. Very nice work, Adam! The M2s are just singing!

Theater Construction (2 phases) began last summer. Phase I (build out to drywall) was completed a year ago. All room isolation materials were placed double drywall, green glue, clips, resilient channels, acoustic floor mat, not to mention double drywall and GG placed between joists under the above subfloor to quiet foot falls from above, etc).. Phase II was completed 2 months ago with room being trimmed out, acoustical panels installed, fabric, electrical finishing, speakers placed, 2 solid (heavy), custom acoustical doors (for theater entry and projection room), projector, etc... to physical completion. There is just one thing left to do, however - install a rear bar (with stools). We moved into the house 8 weeks ago and haven't had time yet to design and source.

In paying homage to Peter - Cineramax - AVS ex-member who has to be reinstated, I am naming the theater Elara as it was Peter's inspiration to push the design boundaries and to basically cram as much equipment as possible into a small theater space - classic Peter! And yes, it is a true 'Selfish Bastard' design. We started with the room designed for 2 prime, adjoining seats and then added the other row where most ideal. Front row is a bit close (but ideal for Art ) but so be it... as the main seats are ideally placed - as 9/10 movies are just my wife and I.

New theater is a more modern, contemporary design. No columns were a priority this time around. Wanted a clean, modern look. Added splayed walls for esthetics and acoustics. A bit smaller in depth than the previous theater but taller and a similar width (17' X 25' X 10'-11')... but with more speakers, subs, etc inside (29 speakers and subs total). We dug the entire basement down 12' deep to accommodate the height needed for the theater (Sound containment, wall and ceiling isolation, higher height speaker placement, etc). 2 Rows and bar top and stools as a 3rd row.

The room design is one of the best I've ever seen. Dennis Erskine handled that and the room is looking exquisite. Great work! We had a lot of changes in the design along the way but I love the outcome and this was worth the wait. A gorgeous design, very quiet HVAC, and gorgeously lit LEDs. The adjacent equipment room leaks no sound - it is pretty amazing.

I have to say that Steve Kujala - Heartwood Custom and his group are the hardest working, most precise builders I've seen. He's very dedicated to excellence. I think Steve was on his computer for as much time as he was installing - just amazing technology and precisionThe entire theater was designed in CAD and all the pieces precut and shipped out from his shop. HE and his crew did it all from HVAC to low voltage to build out. I think he could build the Taj Majal. If you've seen Ash's theater, you know what I mean. Just an incredibly built professional space.

Moreover, a recent visit to Rob Hahn's home was an experience I will not soon forget. There is nothing like it I've ever seen (or heard). And what a gracious couple hosting my wife and I that weekend. After seeing and hearing his home theater, in my opinion, I came away knowing it is the greatest home theater ever built. It caused me to rethink my speaker placement for bed channels and heights. We watched a number of demo clips and then watched all of Gravity (it was there that I knew I had to invest in K-Scape). The presentation of Gravity really demonstrated every parameter desired in an ideal theater. Very, very quiet scenes, 3-D sound and directional effects, a large, large 19' wide screen, dynamics and powerful bass. To say it was the best home theater experience of my life seems an understatement. My wife was gobsmacked and for once, didn't fall asleep before the end of the movie (and we were up late). The planning, the detail and the whole story of this build was captivating, especially told over a gorgeous old 1st growth Bordeaux and his wife's incredible beef Bourguignon. Just an incredible experience from a most generous and kind couple. A wonderful time.

After leaving Rob's, I couldn't sleep. It was such an experience and I was near the end of my project, but I finally had the impetus to do what was needed. So, I contacted Curt Hoyt. I had worked with Curt a few years ago in a redesign of my previous theater. He's a wine guy, so I knew I could count on him for good advice .. . In fact, Curt briefly introduced me to Kevin Voecks through this process - who also employed and recommended Curt's speaker placement / orientations. Curt made modifications to my side wall speaker positioning and tweaked many ceiling speaker locations, orientations to fall in step with his philosophy for creating that sonic bubble only a multi-channel Trinnov can do. Prior, most all speakers were to lay flat on the walls or slightly turned per JBL spec.. and I was never fully comfortable with it - now all speakers point at the MLP. Curt modified and added some ceiling acoustical treatments as well. It now more closely approximates the speaker positioning I saw in Rob's theater (and in my previous theater after Curt reworked it). Steve Kujala's group did a lot of extra work to accomplish this (and it was not easy at that point in the build to dig out the side walls speakers and orient them towards the MLP). Curt really helped me out here in a pinch. Always on it. He's into it and a smart guy. I owe much credit to the demos I heard last night to him and his influence on speaker placement.

Adam Pelz has been out for wiring, racks, PJ calibration, set up, etc. He's awesome and a true professional as we all know and I can't wait to experience his handy work.. again!! He's been out 3 times for this project - his second home . He recommended the 4 Wisdom S90i subs - they met the form factor ~ 6" deep but well ~ 7' tall. All placed at the 1/4 points along the side walls. Adam has brought it all home with his unique mastery. Though the JBL does not have PEQ available, his work and sub integration has made for an awesome experience using the QSC DSP. He is a good guy to know and it is obvious that he is the best in the business.

Mark Seaton is handling the ultra low bass like he has for many years with his custom 18" subs. Placed stacked in pairs in the front of the room. The bass is crazy good integrated with the 4 Wisdom subs. What a difference from my previous room - it's all about the placement and a clean slate to design from to allow such.

Even at very loud volumes, the room directly above the theater (kitchen / great room) is very, very quiet save for some bumps and low vibrations and tones from the ultra low frequencies below. The sound containment worked! There can be a movie at near reference and you might hear some bass thuds, vibrations now and again but still wife approved ! Physics and a good build team did it. Thanks [b]Ted White{/b] from The Sound Proofing Store for all the room isolation advice and materials (green glue, clips, acoustic floor mat, etc). The room is truly isolated!

Really a great group who helped with this theater and what a result! I've made a lot of friends here at AVS over the years and I feel lucky I had so many of them directly contribute to this project. The room turned out better than I could've hoped for.

Equipment List:

JBL Synthesis SDP-75 - 32 Channels
JBL M2 (3) LCRs
JBL SDA 4600 (3) - 1 SDA 4600 each LCR
JBL SDA Amplification all other channels (2 X SDA-8300)
JBL SCL-4 (8)- Wides, Surrounds(4), Rears
JBL SCL-3 (8) - Top Fronts, Front Heights, Middle Heights, Rear Heights
Wisdom S90i in-wall Subwoofers (4)
Seaton custom F18 subwoofers (4)- Seaton Amplifier
QSC 110F DSP (subwoofers)
Sony 5000ES 4K Projector
Panamorph Paladin Anamorphic Lens
K-Scape 24 TB Terra server
K-Scape Strato S 10TB player
Panasonic 4K DP-UB820 BD/4K player
Stewart 14.5" wide VistaScope / Sno-Matte MIcroperf
Crestron Control
Lutron Grafik Eye lighting control (8 zones), Radio Ra2 Lighting system
Lutron HVAC control (Radio Ra2)
Equi-Tech 10-WQ 200 Amp 'Balanced Power' Panel (350 lbs ) - Thanks Ted C - Ted was a huge help here with the issues my electricians had with wiring!
Sanus 44U racks (2)
Palliser Seating
Quest Acoustical materials

DESIGN CONCEPT:

Front of Theater (Screen Wall):

Theater Entry Foyer and Equipment Room:

Theater Entry Door (from family room):

JBL M2 (LCRs)

JBL SCL-3 (Heights)

JBL SCL-4 (Wide, Side, Rear channels)

Seaton F-18 Subwoofer:

Wisdom Audio S-90i Subwoofer:

Resilient Channels (side Surround):

Resilient Channels (Rear Wall):

Resilient Channels (Side Wall, Wisdom Subwoofer):

Drywalling, Framing:

More pix to come soon!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2019, 08:24 AM

Entry to Theater from Family Room:

Early Equipment Room photos:

Rear Theater Entry (SCL-4s):

Screen Wall:

Side Walls with Quest absorption/diffusion:

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Ceiling and Front:

350 lb Equi-Tech 200 AMP balanced Power - a true beast:

200lb Sealed Door at theater Entry:

Lights!:

post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Fabric starts!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Post Testing Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page