Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32399Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 28633 Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Amazon added the movie "Elysium" in HDR.
brickyardz likes this.
ray0414 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 28633 Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Tons of dead links unfortunately, for the HDR downloads

Aerial Acoustics/Anthem/JL Audio/Linn/Sony/Theta Digital
kevinlg is offline  
post #123 of 28633 Old 11-23-2015, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Tons of dead links unfortunately, for the HDR downloads

just checked all my links. they all work. the problem must be on your end somewhere. try using a different browser.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 28633 Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Im a few episodes in. Definitely looks nice.
a thing to note, first 2 episodes of The Man In The High Castle are graded differently to the rest of the show. they have much more highlights crush even on Dynamic Contrast Low. perhaps they rushed through them for whatever reason as later episodes appear to have more precise grading and look great on Medium with little to no crush.
ray0414 likes this.
denpom is offline  
post #125 of 28633 Old 11-23-2015, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
a thing to note, first 2 episodes of The Man In The High Castle are graded differently to the rest of the show. they have much more highlights crush even on Dynamic Contrast Low. perhaps they rushed through them for whatever reason as later episodes appear to have more precise grading and look great on Medium with little to no crush.

I 100% agree with you. I noticed that right away in the 1st episode. anything above "low" would greatly blow out the picture. I was going to say something but i didnt want anything to think I was crazy. episode 2 wasnt as bad so i kept it at medium.

I find amazon to be very up and down with that too. When i watch anything on MGO, i can put it on HIGH and theres almost no blow out on any of the mgo stuff, but on amazon it seems alot of it blows out on high. curious how it will be on 4k discs.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is offline  
post #126 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 12:19 AM
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Wow edge was indeed amazing great show. The HDR is graded defiantly different from all other HDR I have seen thus far, Dynamic contrast is no longer needed the image is very bright. The colours and specular highlights are very impressive it gets very dark but with great details and it gets very bright the sun scenes are amazing. Sunsets look realistic the lighting is crazy it feels just like dusk or early morning such eye candy.

Man In High Castle freaking pops the colours are so vibrant blacks are so black colours are so radiant . When in the theater in the beginning the contrast is incredible with the dark cinema then they show the very bright screen . The lighting in this show is so intense I turned Dynamic contrast completely off picture was so bright man those lights and the sun coming in through the windows . This is some of if not the best HDR I have seen to date and this is just streaming imagine the discs only gunna get better clearly the early stuff was mostly bunk this HDR is much better than MGO.
brickyardz and ray0414 like this.
player002 is offline  
post #127 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 03:56 AM
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,790
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
brickyardz likes this.

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 11-24-2015 at 04:07 AM.
grizzledbiker is offline  
post #128 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 06:17 AM
 
alexanderg823's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Salt has also been added to Amazon in 4K/HDR.
ray0414 likes this.
alexanderg823 is offline  
post #129 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
APorter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
What tv do you have? Amazon 4k & HDR prefers 2015 JS series sets.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
JS8000, I can play Netflix, and the Samsung UHD Video Pack with no problems. I had the JS8500 in house as well and could not get Amazon in 4K. I'm not sure about Youtube as I haven't figured out how to tell the resolution.

Family Room - Samsung JS8000 Denon X1200 NHT SuperZero and SuperCenter Front Speaker Stage Athena Micra Back Surrounds and Front Heights (5.1.2)
Media/Bar Room - Epson Home Cinema 8100 102" Screen Denon 2310ci
APorter is offline  
post #130 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
Salt has also been added to Amazon in 4K/HDR.

salt was added around the same time that smurfs 2 was added. i was very close to buying Salt HDR and the trailer for it looked good (never seen the movie). the only reason I held back was because its a 2010 movie, and im really hoping for something newer that would probably transfer better. but if anyone bit on salt HDR i would like to hear some feedback.

I did bite on Elysium HDR last night and it was pretty awesome. way better than spiderman 2. recommended if you want to be wowed. this to me, is the first really good action film with great CGI/special effects before even adding hdr, to be be remastered with HDR, and they did a great job of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elysium hdr4.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1077634   Click image for larger version

Name:	elysium HDR6.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1077642  
brickyardz and Koolice like this.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 11-24-2015 at 11:57 AM.
ray0414 is offline  
post #131 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Wow edge was indeed amazing great show. The HDR is graded defiantly different from all other HDR I have seen thus far, Dynamic contrast is no longer needed the image is very bright. The colours and specular highlights are very impressive it gets very dark but with great details and it gets very bright the sun scenes are amazing. Sunsets look realistic the lighting is crazy it feels just like dusk or early morning such eye candy.

Man In High Castle freaking pops the colours are so vibrant blacks are so black colours are so radiant . When in the theater in the beginning the contrast is incredible with the dark cinema then they show the very bright screen . The lighting in this show is so intense I turned Dynamic contrast completely off picture was so bright man those lights and the sun coming in through the windows . This is some of if not the best HDR I have seen to date and this is just streaming imagine the discs only gunna get better clearly the early stuff was mostly bunk this HDR is much better than MGO.


As it was posted a couple posts above by me and denpom, it seems the 1st couple episodes of Man in the High Castle are graded differently than the rest of the season. I used DC low on the first episode and medium for the rest. the 1st episode was way outta whack. edge was great, i checked out the regular HD version and that one looked pretty good too. but the 10 bit HDR adds another element for sure.

the MGO stuff is a joke. its basically like watching good quality 1080P. it doesnt touch the amazon stuff (especially the sony movies in HDR).

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN

Last edited by ray0414; 11-24-2015 at 01:27 PM.
ray0414 is offline  
post #132 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The first episode of Man in the High Castle was so blindingly bright that it actually hurt my eyes to watch. I thought all picture settings were locked while in amazon HDR so I didn't try to make an adjustment. I'll give episode 2 a go tonight.
ksumi is offline  
post #133 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 17,013
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12814 Post(s)
Liked: 12155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksumi View Post
The first episode of Man in the High Castle was so blindingly bright that it actually hurt my eyes to watch. I thought all picture settings were locked while in amazon HDR so I didn't try to make an adjustment. I'll give episode 2 a go tonight.


What tv do u have? I'm pretty sure that as of right now, samsung is the only brand that gives full control of settings while watching hdr. And yea, the brightness was screwed up in the pilot but fixed in later episodes.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
ray0414 is offline  
post #134 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,790
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
What tv do u have? I'm pretty sure that as of right now, samsung is the only brand that gives full control of settings while watching hdr. And yea, the brightness was screwed up in the pilot but fixed in later episodes.
I didn't notice any problem with episode 1. But I wasn't in JS emulation mode at the time and was just using cal-night. Still looked pretty good to me. Enjoying the show now on episode 5.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
grizzledbiker is offline  
post #135 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I'm a Canadian JS8500 owner and have been hearing how great HDR content is on Amazon. Does anyone here know how to get the Amazon app here in Canada? I have an amazing TV but have no access to HDR content and really need help on how to get this done!
reneorantes is offline  
post #136 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
I didn't notice any problem with episode 1. But I wasn't in JS emulation mode at the time and was just using cal-night. Still looked pretty good to me. Enjoying the show now on episode 5.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
not sure what do you mean by "JS emulatuon" but judging by the rest of your sentence you're probably not watching it in HDR.
denpom is offline  
post #137 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,790
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
not sure what do you mean by "JS emulatuon" but judging by the rest of your sentence you're probably not watching it in HDR.
Making changes in a HU set's advanced service menu (model number change) to allow it's use with Amazon's HDR offerings. Process used by Player002 and others and discussed in much detail over the past few months in the HU9000 and SEK3500 threads.

55HU9000 TS01
grizzledbiker is offline  
post #138 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
Making changes in a HU set's advanced service menu (model number change) to allow it's use with Amazon's HDR offerings.
ah, gotcha. i have zero experience with those older sets and HDR, how does it effect the settings, etc. only from the reviews on this forum.

back to episode 1, there's no way it looks right with Amazon's "default" HDR settings. they clearly did a quick job with it and there's a crush all over highlights and shadows.
denpom is offline  
post #139 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
As it was posted a couple posts above by me and denpom, it seems the 1st couple episodes of Man in the High Castle are graded differently than the rest of the season. I used DC low on the first episode and medium for the rest. the 1st episode was way outta whack. edge was great, i checked out the regular HD version and that one looked pretty good too. but the 10 bit HDR adds another element for sure.

the MGO stuff is a joke. its basically like watching good quality 1080P. it doesnt touch the amazon stuff (especially the sony movies in HDR).
I really do hope that the HDR on UHD Disks is more like the Amazon offerings myself and I think it will be depending on the studio. Perhaps Fox's implementation is a bit more muted or subtle on the MGo movies. Time will tell.

When watching the stuff on amazon I have to turn off dynamic contrast for a better picture with more details otherwise it looks washed out/blown out. I can leave it on with most content with little degradation of the picture, but I think I'll leave it off so as to not need to adjust it for everything I watch.
cmdrdredd is online now  
post #140 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
ah, gotcha. i have zero experience with those older sets and HDR, how does it effect the settings, etc. only from the reviews on this forum.

back to episode 1, there's no way it looks right with Amazon's "default" HDR settings. they clearly did a quick job with it and there's a crush all over highlights and shadows.
Yeah and even with dynamic contrast off on my JS9000 it still looks a little overdone. Still it's a hell of a lot better than with it on and honestly the picture quality of the show otherwise is really incredible.
cmdrdredd is online now  
post #141 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
When watching the stuff on amazon I have to turn off dynamic contrast for a better picture with more details otherwise it looks washed out/blown out.
it really depends on the quality of the grading. i can imagine with a show like The Man in the High Castle it's a time consuming challenge to get it right which probably calls for a good specialist who will take his/her time to communicate with the shooting team and then channel their view through HDR treatment. Amazon's pilots are very rough in that regard and don't carry any nuances, the precision of control is just not there. tune into Episode 3 and it's a completely different world that is supposed to be viewed with Dynamic Contrast on Medium (there's very little to no crush). same thing is true for Mozart in the Jungle. and i bet we'll see some material that will look spectacular on High sooner or later.
denpom is offline  
post #142 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
it really depends on the quality of the grading. i can imagine with a show like The Man in the High Castle it's a time consuming challenge to get it right which probably calls for a good specialist who will take his/her time to communicate with the shooting team and then channel their view through HDR treatment. Amazon's pilots are very rough in that regard and don't carry any nuances, the precision of control is just not there. tune into Episode 3 and it's a completely different world that is supposed to be viewed with Dynamic Contrast on Medium (there's very little to no crush). same thing is true for Mozart in the Jungle. and i bet we'll see some material that will look spectacular on High sooner or later.
At times it's so bright it looks unnatural. I don't whether that's "correct" or not. It's tough to say what the intentions of the film makers are.

I just know that when they were going to the meeting with the man in the high castle with the guy from the diner they walk down on a rocky riverbed and with dynamic contrast off you can see the details in the rocks but with it on some of those details are obscured.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 11-24-2015 at 10:00 PM.
cmdrdredd is online now  
post #143 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
denpom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
At times it's so bright it looks unnatural. I don't whether that's "correct" or not. It's tough to say what the intentions of the film makers are.
compare Episodes 1 and 3. the 1st one is harsh, too bright and yes unnatural at places. you just want to turn down that Dynamic Contrast. switch to EP3, start watching with Dynamic Contrast on Medium. i think it looks very close to the film makers vision at that point and you won't feel the need to change any settings.
ray0414 likes this.
denpom is offline  
post #144 of 28633 Old 11-24-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post
compare Episodes 1 and 3. the 1st one is harsh, too bright and yes unnatural at places. you just want to turn down that Dynamic Contrast. switch to EP3, start watching with Dynamic Contrast on Medium. i think it looks very close to the film makers vision at that point and you won't feel the need to change any settings.
No and I wish there was a way to screenshot it to show you what I'm talking about. There are times when the white blooms out and covers details that you can see clear as day with it off. If you never turned it off you'd never know those small details are missing. Textures on the rocks disappears in a flash of white, clouds absolutely disappear from the background. So while the colors pop, there are things that get wiped out by a smudge of white on the picture.

This is not episode one I'm talking about. Watch man in the high castle episode 4 "Revelations" at the 46:50 mark and focus straight out over the crowd between the trees. Look at the sky. There is a cloud there. With dynamic contrast on, the cloud is a blob of white. When it's off, you can see the contrast between it and the other clouds in that part of the screen and discern the shades of grey and off white. That's what happens on my TV. It may be I'm too picky, maybe you aren't supposed to see the cloud to begin with, maybe it's something else.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 11-24-2015 at 11:02 PM.
cmdrdredd is online now  
post #145 of 28633 Old 11-25-2015, 12:42 AM
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneorantes View Post
Hey guys, I'm a Canadian JS8500 owner and have been hearing how great HDR content is on Amazon. Does anyone here know how to get the Amazon app here in Canada? I have an amazing TV but have no access to HDR content and really need help on how to get this done!
eset smart hub then before you accept agreement hit fast mute then return then vol up then channel up choose american apps. The use a VPN easiest one is getflix as it does VPN for you when you log in .
player002 is offline  
post #146 of 28633 Old 11-25-2015, 12:45 AM
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,246
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
No and I wish there was a way to screenshot it to show you what I'm talking about. There are times when the white blooms out and covers details that you can see clear as day with it off. If you never turned it off you'd never know those small details are missing. Textures on the rocks disappears in a flash of white, clouds absolutely disappear from the background. So while the colors pop, there are things that get wiped out by a smudge of white on the picture.

This is not episode one I'm talking about. Watch man in the high castle episode 4 "Revelations" at the 46:50 mark and focus straight out over the crowd between the trees. Look at the sky. There is a cloud there. With dynamic contrast on, the cloud is a blob of white. When it's off, you can see the contrast between it and the other clouds in that part of the screen and discern the shades of grey and off white. That's what happens on my TV. It may be I'm too picky, maybe you aren't supposed to see the cloud to begin with, maybe it's something else.
Yes I agree with this new wave of Amazon HDR Dynamic contrast should be off it blows out details now as I supposed the dynamic range is graded correctly now.
player002 is offline  
post #147 of 28633 Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Yes I agree with this new wave of Amazon HDR Dynamic contrast should be off it blows out details now as I supposed the dynamic range is graded correctly now.

I really appreciate the brighter and more vibrant colors that pop but I can't get over the level of white light that is covering some of the details. With it off the whole image is obviously much less intense and doesn't have that same wow factor to the colors and such but it is much more comfortable to watch and still has fantastic lighting. I feel it tones down the image to something more natural for me.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is online now  
post #148 of 28633 Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,450
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3817
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I really appreciate the brighter and more vibrant colors that pop but I can't get over the level of white light that is covering some of the details. With it off the whole image is obviously much less intense and doesn't have that same wow factor to the colors and such but it is much more comfortable to watch and still has fantastic lighting. I feel it tones down the image to something more natural for me.

Most likely the content is mastered in such a way that it is causing WTW clipping, could possibly be mitigated with a calibration once HDR calibration methods are refined.
ray0414 likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #149 of 28633 Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
 
grizzledbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,790
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Watching man in high castle episode 4 now. I agree with d.c. set on medium, shadow details emerge. Mountain stream scene looks good. Not much change with smart LED settings so left that on high. But I cannot get it to play in Ultra HD like I assumed it would.

55HU9000 TS01

Last edited by grizzledbiker; 11-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
grizzledbiker is offline  
post #150 of 28633 Old 11-25-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,104
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked: 4552
Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledbiker View Post
Watching man in high castle episode 4 now. I agree with d.c. set on medium, shadow details emerge. Mountain stream scene looks good. Not much change with smart LED settings so left that on high. But I cannot get it to play in Ultra HD like I assumed it would.

55HU9000 TS01

If it isn't playing ultra HD I am pretty sure you aren't getting the HDR information which is what is causing my "issue". I put issue in quotes because it might be unique to me and my preference or my room/tv settings. I don't want to come off as someone saying that everyone is wrong and I am right. I'm just posting my thoughts and observations in hopes someone can understand what I am taking about and give tips and ideas of their own.

I'm using a 55JS9000 by the way. I can only assume the js9500 with full array backlighting would handle it a lot better.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 11-25-2015 at 03:34 PM.
cmdrdredd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off