Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 690 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29467Likes

post #20671 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Blade Runner 2049 is a visual masterpiece! This is easily a must buy...I watched it on the xbox x video service and was impressed from the first shot till the end, so the disc has to be amazing...Roger Deakins is a genius and deserves all the awards! I think the film could be silent with no story/ with these visuals Id still love it

I think this film makes Ghost in the Shell look like a Lifetime Original in comparison to quality...every shot on the streets and in buildings I thought, this is how you do sci-fi fi ha, Im a fan

*I did notice 2 scenes with BAD banding...but Im going to blame the xbox or my internet...Im buying the disc to see how much better it is/still its 99% perfect picture while streaming imo

Samsung 65Q900R
Samsung 65KS8500
Samsung K8500 4k Blu-Ray Player
Sony STR ZA1100ES Atmos/DTSx 5.1.2
Xbox One S/Xbox One X/Ps4 Pro/Apple TV 4K 64GB

Last edited by LG4k; 01-07-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20672 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Two things I noticed about Terminator 2. First when it starts it claims to be a 3D version lol. Second it does not have immersive audio like I assumed. I thought we would get DTS:X.

That all said, the colors and detail are far and away better than any other version. The opening scene of the future war is incredible to me.

I had the opposite reaction: it’s the worst I’ve ever seen it. The intense DNR is just too much. That whole opening scene looks so muddy and blurry. The Blu-ray version released a year or so ago (with no DNR) has more detail than the UHD IMO.

Personally, I don’t think the UHD version of Terminator 2 looks good at all.
rightintel likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #20673 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post
I had the opposite reaction: it’s the worst I’ve ever seen it. The intense DNR is just too much. That whole opening scene looks so muddy and blurry. The Blu-ray version released a year or so ago (with no DNR) has more detail than the UHD IMO.

Personally, I don’t think the UHD version of Terminator 2 looks good at all.
Sorry but I feel you're 100% wrong here. There is more detail everywhere that doesn't have any CGI for starters, the colors are more detailed and more vibrant than any other version, flashlights and lasers are brighter than any other version, shadow detail is improved exponentially than any other version. I've watched every release of this movie including LaserDisc and the UHD release is easily the most detailed, most colorful, has the most shadow detail which in this movie makes or breaks it, has the best brightness levels, and is the sharpest overall.

It sounds to me like you're just saying "they applied some DNR so it sucks" without actually taking into account all the benefits of the UHD format that come with the new version.
aaronwt, galonzo and ataneruo like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 01-07-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20674 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry but you're 100% wrong here. No buts about about it

Have you compared the two against one another? The UHD disc is an ugly, DNR’d mess with very little in the way of HDR. The scene in the mental institution where the doctor is interviewing Sarah looks so terrible it makes you wonder how that got the ok. The opening future war scene has a smeary, almost muddy look to it. It’s also been “updated” with new color correction and had some of he visual FX fixed with CGI.

You can’t scrub away all the grain and retain detail. It just doesn’t work like that. Simple fact is, T2 desperately needs a new scan. They’ve been reusing the same master forever.

post #20675 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you compared the two against one another? The UHD disc is an ugly, DNR’d mess with very little in the way of HDR. The scene in the mental institution where the doctor is interviewing Sarah looks so terrible it makes you wonder how that got the ok. The opening future war scene has a smeary, almost muddy look to it. It’s also been “updated” with new color correction and had some of he visual FX fixed with CGI.

You can’t scrub away all the grain and retain detail. It just doesn’t work like that. Simple fact is, T2 desperately needs a new scan. They’ve been reusing the same master forever.
Again I've seen every version and the UHD is clearly the best of them. You're free to disagree, but there is so many benefits gained that a little DNR applied isn't a huge deal. I stand by what I said, you're harping on the DNR and ignoring everything else that is a clear upgrade.
aaronwt likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #20676 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Sorry but I feel you're 100% wrong here. There is more detail everywhere that doesn't have any CGI for starters, the colors are more detailed and more vibrant than any other version, flashlights and lasers are brighter than any other version, shadow detail is improved exponentially than any other version. I've watched every release of this movie including LaserDisc and the UHD release is easily the most detailed, most colorful, has the most shadow detail which in this movie makes or breaks it, has the best brightness levels, and is the sharpest overall.

It sounds to me like you're just saying "they applied some DNR so it sucks" without actually taking into account all the benefits of the UHD format that come with the new version.
The 4k version is on Netflix now sans HDR.
I agree with you that the detail is incredible. Netflix compression artifacts rears its head here and there but the level of resolution details alone are astounding for a movie from 1991.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
aaronwt, cmdrdredd and galonzo like this.
post #20677 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again I've seen every version and the UHD is clearly the best of them. You're free to disagree, but there is so many benefits gained that a little DNR applied isn't a huge deal. I stand by what I said, you're harping on the DNR and ignoring everything else that is a clear upgrade.

Some of the benefits are appreciable, but all that gets thrown out the window when characters look like wax figures or the Terminator’s iconic leather jacket looks like an oil slick. This isn’t a little DNR but a “kill all grain” level of it. And don’t get me started on the edge enhancement.

I’m not exaggerating when I say the DNR is excessive, and I have every right to harp on it. It looks bad. I paid for my copy and am utterly disappointed in the transfer, especially when you have catalogue releases that look fantastic. I’d warn people to rent before literally throwing their money away.
morphinapg and Mr Berry like this.

post #20678 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12481 Post(s)
Liked: 11668
Quote:
Some of the benefits are appreciable, but all that gets thrown out the window when characters look like wax figures or the Terminator’s iconic leather jacket looks like an oil slick. This isn’t a little DNR but a “kill all grain” level of it. And don’t get me started on the edge enhancement.

I’m not exaggerating when I say the DNR is excessive, and I have every right to harp on it. It looks bad. I paid for my copy and am utterly disappointed in the transfer, especially when you have catalogue releases that look fantastic. I’d warn people to rent before literally throwing their money away.

The opening scene is definitely not muddy and actually looks much better with the hdr and more vibrant colors. Could be an issue with how your tv handles this type of a scene. What tv do you have?
post #20679 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The opening scene is definitely not muddy and actually looks much better with the hdr and more vibrant colors. Could be an issue with how your tv handles this type of a scene. What tv do you have?
I agree, I watched "Terminator: Judgement Day" 4k tonight and thought the video was excellent. I don't know how people can complain about it looking bad when it's so much better than other 4k transfers out there? Some that come to mind are most of the "Bourne" movies in 4k.
aaronwt likes this.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #20680 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1768
I'm guessing the people who like Terminator's transfer are the same type of people who usually complain so much about grain in other 4K content.

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #20681 of 26772 Old 01-07-2018, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
The 4k version is on Netflix now sans HDR.
I agree with you that the detail is incredible. Netflix compression artifacts rears its head here and there but the level of resolution details alone are astounding for a movie from 1991.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I’m guessing you’re not in the US? Doesn’t seem to be available here.
galonzo likes this.
post #20682 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I'm guessing the people who like Terminator's transfer are the same type of people who usually complain so much about grain in other 4K content.

No, I don’t mind film grain. I dislike artificial grain that adds nothing(marvel shows). What we are saying is the movie benefits from resolution, wide color gamut, and the Increased shadow detail more than it suffers from the DNR pass.

post #20683 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG4k View Post
Blade Runner 2049 is a visual masterpiece! This is easily a must buy...I watched it on the xbox x video service and was impressed from the first shot till the end, so the disc has to be amazing...Roger Deakins is a genius and deserves all the awards! I think the film could be silent with no story/ with these visuals Id still love it

I think this film makes Ghost in the Shell look like a Lifetime Original in comparison to quality...every shot on the streets and in buildings I thought, this is how you do sci-fi fi ha, Im a fan

*I did notice 2 scenes with BAD banding...but Im going to blame the xbox or my internet...Im buying the disc to see how much better it is/still its 99% perfect picture while streaming imo
HaHaHa! "Lifetime Original!" That's funny. You got me excited about this movie. Can't wait until next week.
galonzo, ataneruo and LG4k like this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #20684 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
The Cloverfield series release date was restored.

Also, looks like the USA will have hdr10 only for Bladerunner 2049, while other countries will get Dolby Vision disc's. 1st time this has happened.
Just to be aware if this is based off the the Box artwork & info. "Box art posted on retailers isn't always 100% accurate, so this isn't a totally surefire confirmation. And it should also be noted that Warner Bros. did end up including Dolby Vision on its US release of Westworld despite the logo not appearing on the box art. But, from what we have to go on now, it's looking like Dolby Vision will be included on the UK Ultra HD disc from Sony and not the US Ultra HD disc from Warner Bros."

I also got Dolby Vision discs before Example(Valerian) which did not have any DV logo on the box anywhere but it played in DV.
galonzo likes this.

LG OLED 65C6P | Yamaha RX-A2070 | Oppo UDP-203 | Paradigm SE Speakers
post #20685 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Quote:
Some of the benefits are appreciable, but all that gets thrown out the window when characters look like wax figures or the Terminator?s iconic leather jacket looks like an oil slick. This isn?t a little DNR but a ?kill all grain? level of it. And don?t get me started on the edge enhancement.

I?m not exaggerating when I say the DNR is excessive, and I have every right to harp on it. It looks bad. I paid for my copy and am utterly disappointed in the transfer, especially when you have catalogue releases that look fantastic. I?d warn people to rent before literally throwing their money away.

Looks like ppl got strong feelings about this transfer so all I will say is, Yes the transfer does many things right and at some points the movie looks like it was shot in 2017. But at the same time their decision to DNR the thing to 110% was extremely stupid, just pulling it back a little bit would have done wonders. Even if you love this transfer, dont tell me 10-20% grain would not have it a ton better. My personal opinion on the whole thing is even though the movie looks better from previous versions, the Magic has been completely killed off. Thankfully I didnt buy the movie, only rented.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #20686 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruckus View Post
Just to be aware if this is based off the the Box artwork & info. "Box art posted on retailers isn't always 100% accurate, so this isn't a totally surefire confirmation. And it should also be noted that Warner Bros. did end up including Dolby Vision on its US release of Westworld despite the logo not appearing on the box art. But, from what we have to go on now, it's looking like Dolby Vision will be included on the UK Ultra HD disc from Sony and not the US Ultra HD disc from Warner Bros."

I also got Dolby Vision discs before Example(Valerian) which did not have any DV logo on the box anywhere but it played in DV.

There's at least 1 USA youtube reviewer that got his copy that has confirmed with his Dolby Vision setup that it does not have DV. However, he still says this disc is beautiful and might be THE Reference disc of the format.
galonzo and Kruckus like this.
post #20687 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I don't recall the "Bourne" movies having grain but the 4k HDR on them was pretty bad IMO. It didn't seem much better than HD.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #20688 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I don't recall the "Bourne" movies having grain but the 4k HDR on them was pretty bad IMO. It didn't seem much better than HD.
The first couple were on film so they do have grain from the source. It's not artificially added in though.
galonzo likes this.

post #20689 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 11:25 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
The first couple were on film so they do have grain from the source. It's not artificially added in though.
The Bourne movies had more grain on purpose. They were that way in the theater as well.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #20690 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Bourne movies had more grain on purpose. They were that way in the theater as well.
The latest one was shot on many types of camera systems so it's different from scene to scene. According to IMDB the source format used everything from ARRI raw 2.8k to Redcode Raw 6k to Super 16
aaronwt and galonzo like this.

post #20691 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
December 31 delivery went poof !

Thor Ragnarok (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) [UHD]
Release Date: 26/02/2018

(European release date.)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #20692 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Thor Ragnarok (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) [UHD]
Release Date: 26/02/2018

(European release date.)
I find it surprising but satisfying that so many recent releases make it from the theater to the home so quickly.
aaronwt and mikestr like this.

post #20693 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 306
If anyones interested, on xbox x and s you can rent View from a Blue Moon free in Uhd HDR...trailer looks awesome, have to check it out tonight
galonzo likes this.

Samsung 65Q900R
Samsung 65KS8500
Samsung K8500 4k Blu-Ray Player
Sony STR ZA1100ES Atmos/DTSx 5.1.2
Xbox One S/Xbox One X/Ps4 Pro/Apple TV 4K 64GB
post #20694 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

Finally watched Bright. Best looking bad movie out there. Almost turned it off it was so terrible. It looked great, no complaints on the quality of the picture but the characters and story is just bad and doesn’t really go anywhere.
Brahmzy and Stevez176 like this.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 01-08-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #20695 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finally watched Bright. Best looking bad movie out there. Almost turned it off it was so terrible. It looked great, no complaints on the quality of the picture but the characters and story is just bad and doesn’t really go anywhere.
Sometimes I think Netflix will produce any type of bad movie out there. Same goes for some of the TV series they produce. Don't know why they aren't more exclusive as to the movies they do?
cmdrdredd and Brahmzy like this.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
post #20696 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
Quote:
Sometimes I think Netflix will produce any type of bad movie out there. Same goes for some of the TV series they produce. Don't know why they aren't more exclusive as to the movies they do?
aaronwt, lujan, galonzo and 2 others like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #20697 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 06:38 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Supposedly Bright had over 11 millions viewers in the first three days. Which would be like a theatrical movie opening at around 100million. (Although I certainly would not have paid to watch it in the theater)

Netflix was certainly pleased with the results since they quickly green lit a sequel to Bright

Even the crappy Adam Sandler movies are supposed to be the most streamed movies worldwide on Netflix.
Brahmzy and galonzo like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #20698 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry, the best looking bad movie crown is still between Smurfs 2 and Billy Lynn lol
Balthazar2k4, galonzo and ataneruo like this.
post #20699 of 26772 Old 01-08-2018, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

So my new reference movie to show off the 4k HDR system is now the Imax scenes of Dark Knight Rises towards the end of the movie. I think it trumps just about everything else out there and the full screen really punches you in the face. Too bad the Imax scenes in the dark knight are borderline ruined with raised blacks turning the whole picture gray and washing out the colors. Interstellar Imax scenes looked good but not as punchy and colorful and the blacks were also raised a little bit. I haven't watched Dunkirk yet and even though the picture is sharp and Prestine it is dull on the color side which may keep it from being #1 .
post #20700 of 26772 Old 01-09-2018, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Really, really bad movie!!!
cmdrdredd likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | Roon ROCK Music Server | ATV4K | Vero 4K+ | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1's | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2) | GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra | Unraid NAS 40TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page