Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often. - Page 718 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29360Likes

post #21511 of 26719 Old 03-10-2018, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 577
I agree with the Thor Ragnarok assessment...not HDR impressive like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.
Guardians had deep colours and bright highlights. Thor could have but didn't!
It's a pity cause it had plenty of chances to be super bright and colourful!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
morphinapg and galonzo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21512 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The grand tour is not being renewed for season 4.
Crap. But then it got renewed for a season 3? It's currently in it's second season isn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #21513 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked: 4519
Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
I agree with the Thor Ragnarok assessment...not HDR impressive like Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2.
Guardians had deep colours and bright highlights. Thor could have but didn't!
It's a pity cause it had plenty of chances to be super bright and colourful!

Then you didn’t watch it in sdr before because it’s obviously a huge upgrade.
galonzo likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21514 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I wasn't blown away by Thor 3's HDR either. Was wondering if it was just me.

You aren’t supposed to be “blown away” by hdr. Only if that’s the intention like tech demos. You are supposed to see increased depth, more vivid colors, more detail in the shadows, better contrast etc and over the SDR 1080p release all of those elements are a very big upgrade.
aaronwt, galonzo, mikestr and 1 others like this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #21515 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 15444
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
You aren’t supposed to be “blown away” by hdr. Only if that’s the intention like tech demos. You are supposed to see increased depth, more vivid colors, more detail in the shadows, better contrast etc. over the SDR 1080p release all of those elements are a very big upgrade on the UHD release.
Ok, I was disappointed in Thor 3's HDR. Better?
Gillietalls likes this.

post #21516 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There just seems to this misconception that everything in HDR will look like a giant tech demo that burns your eyeballs out. That’s not the case and every release I have seen has been better than any 1080p release that came before it which is the point.

I think what they did with Thor Ragnarok works for the movie and it looks great. Are there more colorful movies? Yes. Are there movies with better use of contrast in the shadows? Yes. Are there brighter movies? Yes. Does Thor look bad because of this? No
dianebrat, aaronwt, Ph8te and 4 others like this.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 03-11-2018 at 09:54 AM.
post #21517 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then you didn’t watch it in sdr before because it’s obviously a huge upgrade.
Why would I want to watch the SDR to appreciate the UHD HDR version?
I can just benchmark it based on previous releases by the studio. In this case, Guardians 2!
There are many good HDR discs out there that we already know what to look for or expect!
Either way I still liked the movie!

post #21518 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 15444
Yep, still enjoyed the movie, even if the HDR was lacking.

post #21519 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Quote:

There just seems to this misconception that everything in HDR will look like a giant tech demo that burns your eyeballs out. That?s not the case and every release I have seen has been better than any 1080p release that came before it which is the point.

I think what they did with Thor Ragnarok works for the movie and it looks great. Are there more colorful movies? Yes. Are there movies with better use of contrast in the shadows? Yes. Are there brighter movies? Yes. Does Thor look bad because of this? No
You know what, you say not everthing should be a tech demo but guess what this website does whenever theres a high profile movie that comes out in Dolby Cinema... the article always revolves around how it is a great flashy tech demo, its the best thing since slice bread and so on and so forth. And when you actually go watch it or see it at home, it just doesn't live up to the hype. So thats one factor that creates the misconception that everything is just demo worthy. Theres very few movies that have disappointed me since 4K but they all could be better or worse... i wish there was a standard for grading so we wouldn't have these discussions. Also, I dont understand why anyone has to watch a dvd to appreciate what a bluray can do (see what i did there). PS, I thought Thor was decent and nothing to write home about. But I have watched Murder On the Orient Express twice and it hasnt ceased to amaze me so far.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #21520 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 2443
Quote:
You aren’t supposed to be “blown away” by hdr. Only if that’s the intention like tech demos. You are supposed to see increased depth, more vivid colors, more detail in the shadows, better contrast etc and over the SDR 1080p release all of those elements are a very big upgrade.
I thought the video (not just HDR) was better on Thor 3 than on Spider-Man Homecoming although others have posted the opposite.

lujan
513 Ultra HD
723 HD
4 SD
post #21521 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked: 5920
Quote:
I can just benchmark it based on previous releases by the studio. In this case, Guardians 2!
There are many good HDR discs out there that we already know what to look for or expect!

Since there is no standard between releases the best way to determine how much of an improvement the UHD HDR version is, is by comparing the same releases SDR version. Comparing two releases only compares the different grading used for each release (both which may be trying to achieve different things). How do you know what to expect when everything is done differently? What you want to see and what is actually shown may be two different things.
cmdrdredd and galonzo like this.
post #21522 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I thought the video (not just HDR) was better on Thor 3 than on Spider-Man Homecoming although others have posted the opposite.
I watched Spider-Man Homecoming two different ways. Once in HDR10 and once in Dolby Vision. Both off the disc. One viewing was on my Samsung JS9000 and the other on my B7 OLED. Both times I can say the picture was largely inferior to what I saw from the new Thor release this morning when I watched it all the way through. Not feeling one movie is as good as another is fine but I do have a problem when someone insinuates through their post that if movie A doesn't look like movie B did then it's bad. Bad would be something like how Oblivion was handled with the soft picture or Ender's Game with the raised blacks in the encode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
You know what, you say not everthing should be a tech demo but guess what this website does whenever theres a high profile movie that comes out in Dolby Cinema... the article always revolves around how it is a great flashy tech demo, its the best thing since slice bread and so on and so forth. And when you actually go watch it or see it at home, it just doesn't live up to the hype. So thats one factor that creates the misconception that everything is just demo worthy. Theres very few movies that have disappointed me since 4K but they all could be better or worse... i wish there was a standard for grading so we wouldn't have these discussions. Also, I dont understand why anyone has to watch a dvd to appreciate what a bluray can do (see what i did there). PS, I thought Thor was decent and nothing to write home about. But I have watched Murder On the Orient Express twice and it hasnt ceased to amaze me so far.
I won't deny that social media and other outlets have created a hype machine to give false expectations to consumers. Dolby is very guilty of this on their Facebook page in my experience. It's like every movie that comes along to Dolby Cinema is the best thing ever. Then along comes another new release and guess what, it's the new best lol.
aaronwt, galonzo and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 03-11-2018 at 11:37 AM.
post #21523 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Since there is no standard between releases the best way to determine how much of an improvement the UHD HDR version is, is by comparing the same releases SDR version. Comparing two releases only compares the different grading used for each release (both which may be trying to achieve different things). How do you know what to expect when everything is done differently? What you want to see and what is actually shown may be two different things.
Exactly, it's all up to how the colorist and director and anyone else involved in the grading process want things to look. The only real way to see the improvement from an HDR picture is to watch the same thing in SDR. You wouldn't expect The Revenant's chilling winter scenes to be as bright and vibrant as The Shallows' sunny beach scenes. You would expect the HDR grading to bring out more from the original camera files or film stock over the SDR presentation though.

Quote:

Different directors and probably a different colorist working on the grading. Different intents cannot be compared directly. It's always going to be this way.
galonzo and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 03-11-2018 at 11:35 AM.
post #21524 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If there isn't a standard, then maybe we should stop labelling movies reference grade and demo worthy!
Crap is crap, doesn't matter what the intent of the colorist or the director is/was!
Thor Ragnarok was mediocre and so was Spiderman Homecoming to me!
Both had more potential especially Thor.

Rudy1 likes this.
post #21525 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
If there isn't a standard, then maybe we should stop labelling movies reference grade and demo worthy!
Crap is crap, doesn't matter what the intent of the colorist or the director is/was!

I never do label movies. I label them by how I think they look. Personal opinion is fine, but really many reviews are based upon the improvement over the SDR release (which is why we said what we did). Intent means close to everything. You may not like what they intend, but that’s a totally different subject. Thor IMO was colorful enough and had some good highlights. Was is groundbreaking? No, not close, but again I don’t buy into the hype and tend to watch movies before reading reviews to the best of my ability.
post #21526 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked: 1766
Quote:
I don't think anybody is saying they were expecting a tech demo when they said they weren't blown away. What we (or at least, I) mean by that is there were practically no scenes that looked like they used HDR in a way to do anything that SDR is incapable of doing. I saw this in 3D in the theater, which is also SDR, and there was almost nothing about the HDR release that looked particularly different in terms of highlights, color, or detail compared to the SDR version. Also, anybody who has seen good HDR knows you don't actually need to compare it to the SDR version to instantly know its making good (and not exaggerated) use of the format.

There were three moments I can recall where I thought HDR was doing something SDR probably didn't do. First, there were red glowing weapons some of the Sakaar people were using. The red here looked more vibrant and bright than SDR would be able to pull off effectively. Second, on the escape scene, the clouds looked like they had some slightly brighter highlight detail that was just above the limits of SDR. Finally,
Spoiler!
So yes, while there was limited use of the format, the movie had so much more potential, especially in its use of color, that went almost completely untapped.

When you compare it to Guardians 2, Spider-man Homecoming, and Pirates 5 (I haven't seen Cars 3 in HDR yet), this movie is far weaker than those in its use of HDR. In regards to Spider-man, it's best use of HDR was in its night scenes. Added shadow detail and brilliant highlights looked beautiful, especially in Dolby Vision.

In contrast, 3D was a much bigger upgrade than HDR with Ragnarok. Not as vital to the experience as it was for Guardians (I felt the HDR was an equal upgrade with Guardians, but certain scenes felt like they were missing something without 3D), but still a nice upgrade over SDR 2D, with plenty that stands out. I mentioned my disappointment with the HDR of Ragnarok because I was originally considering importing the 3D version but decided to preorder the 4K instead after seeing reviews that convinced me otherwise. Now I'm going to have to double dip to get the 3D for future viewings as that was a much more enjoyable experience imo.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits

Last edited by morphinapg; 03-11-2018 at 11:59 AM.
post #21527 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never do label movies. I label them by how I think they look. Personal opinion is fine, but really many reviews are based upon the improvement over the SDR release (which is why we said what we did). Intent means close to everything. You may not like what they intend, but that’s a totally different subject. Thor IMO was colorful enough and had some good highlights. Was is groundbreaking? No, not close, but again I don’t buy into the hype and tend to watch movies before reading reviews to the best of my ability.
I don't get why people get defensive when some of us don't like how some movies look!
You have your opinions and we have ours!

Rudy1 likes this.

Last edited by Elisha; 03-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.
post #21528 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I don't get why people get defensive when some of us don't like how some movies look!
You have your opinions and we have ours!

Who says you can’t have an opinion? All I see are people discussing the difference of just that. No need to always yell either
post #21529 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Who says you can’t have an opinion? All I see are people discussing the difference of just that. No need to always yell either
I suppose you're reading and comprehension level is a bit off so maybe you just just talk to yourself in circles!

post #21530 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I suppose you're reading and comprehension level is a bit off so maybe you just just talk to yourself in circles!

It seems yours is as I never said you couldn’t, I just counteracted what you said (which is what people do in debates), but alas I’ll let you have the last word. I’m sure you’ll have fun yelling at the world.
post #21531 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked: 1752
Come now gents, let's all play civil and such!

Quote:
I watched Spider-Man Homecoming two different ways. Once in HDR10 and once in Dolby Vision. Both off the disc. One viewing was on my Samsung JS9000 and the other on my B7 OLED. Both times I can say the picture was largely inferior to what I saw from the new Thor release this morning when I watched it all the way through.
What were your impressions of the HDR10 vs DV for this film?
Ph8te likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #21532 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If artist intention means nothing why are we trying to always see what is intended via calibrations and dynamic metadata?

post #21533 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Come now gents, let's all play civil and such!

What were your impressions of the HDR10 vs DV for this film?
I don't think dolby vision made it look better necessarily because the differences are very slight to me. Maybe if I could see them side by side but just flipping between them, can't really tell. It still didn't look as good as other titles I've seen on the format. Kind of average but that's probably on purpose.
CCsoftball7 and Jonas2 like this.

post #21534 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphinapg View Post
I don't think anybody is saying they were expecting a tech demo when they said they weren't blown away. What we (or at least, I) mean by that is there were practically no scenes that looked like they used HDR in a way to do anything that SDR is incapable of doing. I saw this in 3D in the theater, which is also SDR, and there was almost nothing about the HDR release that looked particularly different in terms of highlights, color, or detail compared to the SDR version. Also, anybody who has seen good HDR knows you don't actually need to compare it to the SDR version to instantly know its making good (and not exaggerated) use of the format.

There were three moments I can recall where I thought HDR was doing something SDR probably didn't do. First, there were red glowing weapons some of the Sakaar people were using. The red here looked more vibrant and bright than SDR would be able to pull off effectively. Second, on the escape scene, the clouds looked like they had some slightly brighter highlight detail that was just above the limits of SDR. Finally,
Spoiler!
So yes, while there was limited use of the format, the movie had so much more potential, especially in its use of color, that went almost completely untapped.

When you compare it to Guardians 2, Spider-man Homecoming, and Pirates 5 (I haven't seen Cars 3 in HDR yet), this movie is far weaker than those in its use of HDR. In regards to Spider-man, it's best use of HDR was in its night scenes. Added shadow detail and brilliant highlights looked beautiful, especially in Dolby Vision.

In contrast, 3D was a much bigger upgrade than HDR with Ragnarok. Not as vital to the experience as it was for Guardians (I felt the HDR was an equal upgrade with Guardians, but certain scenes felt like they were missing something without 3D), but still a nice upgrade over SDR 2D, with plenty that stands out. I mentioned my disappointment with the HDR of Ragnarok because I was originally considering importing the 3D version but decided to preorder the 4K instead after seeing reviews that convinced me otherwise. Now I'm going to have to double dip to get the 3D for future viewings as that was a much more enjoyable experience imo.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
So you're really saying that the brilliance of Thor's lightning, the colors of the ship's engines, and the neon of The Grandmaster's digital image looks like SDR? That's nonsense.
claw and tjenkins95 like this.

post #21535 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you're really saying that the brilliance of Thor's lightning, the colors of the ship's engines, and the neon of The Grandmaster's digital image looks like SDR? That's nonsense.
Thor's lightning was absolutely a disappointment. That could have looked amazing in HDR, but it didn't use any of the brighter HDR range, so it didn't have the brilliance and contrast it should have had. Massive wasted potential, and I saw nothing special about the ship's engines or grandmaster holograms.

Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X1300W (5.1.2), PS4 Pro, Philips BDP7502, AV.io 4K
post #21536 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thor's lightning was absolutely a disappointment. That could have looked amazing in HDR, but it didn't use any of the brighter HDR range, so it didn't have the brilliance and contrast it should have had. Massive wasted potential, and I saw nothing special about the ship's engines or grandmaster holograms.
Then I don't know what you were watching sorry. Looked awesome on my B7 OLED.
Ph8te and tjenkins95 like this.

post #21537 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I’d have to disagree on the lightning as I noticed an uptick at least later on in the movie.
tjenkins95 likes this.
post #21538 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Then I don't know what you were watching sorry. Looked awesome on my B7 OLED.
Watching on my C6, both SDR and HDR properly calibrated. I just went through and watched the beginning of every chapter in both SDR and HDR, and honestly, even comparing the two back to back, it's just not much of a difference at all. Looking at the lightning again, there may be a very slight improvement (towards the end, the earlier ones did not see improvement), but it's barely scratching the surface of what HDR could have done for that.

post #21539 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Watching on my C6, both SDR and HDR properly calibrated. I just went through and watched the beginning of every chapter in both SDR and HDR, and honestly, even comparing the two back to back, it's just not much of a difference at all. Looking at the lightning again, there may be a very slight improvement (towards the end, the earlier ones did not see improvement), but it's barely scratching the surface of what HDR could have done for that.

I do agree about the beginning, that was different and it looked like they regarded towards the end to make it brighter. This of course could be on purpose as well depicting “accidental” vs “on purpose”.
post #21540 of 26719 Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 12468 Post(s)
Liked: 11650
Quote:

The lightning looked pretty great on my 1500 nit lcd. Anyone looking to blown away by lighting are probably going to be somewhat disappointed on an OLED. It's just a disappointing reality unfortunately.

It's only my subjective opinion, but the hdr to me is only impressive on 1 TV in this following hdr shootout picture.

LG4k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)

Tags
dolby vision , hdr10 , JS8500 , KS9800 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page